#72286 Mar 15, 2013
roxy bear wrote:
Who r u?
He's a Clabbered Milk Baby.
Pete

Johnson City, TN

#72289 Mar 15, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
Pete, I worked in Retail in my younger days. For alot years, the standard Mark-up was 10%...everybody marked their products up 10% above cost, ALL costs...EVERYBODY! When Greed took over, that all changed. what's the standard Mark-up now?
I don't know how long ago you are talking about, but I have been in retail for over 25 years and know of no retail merchant operating on a 10% mark-up. In fact, at least in the past twenty years, that is virtually impossible for any retailer and still stay in business.

First, there is no such thing as a "standard" mark-up. There may be a standard mark-up for one company or a chain store, but there is no retail standard mark-up. Mark-up is based strictly on operating costs. If your operating costs are at 30% of your sales, then you better have more than a 30% mark-up or you won't be in business for very long. Again, I know of no retail company that can operate at a cost less than 10% of their sales. Operating costs include taxes, insurance, payroll, utilities, advertising, lease costs, etc. There are also fixed and variable costs. Fixed costs are costs like salaried employees, insurance, lease payments, etc. Variable costs include commissioned payroll, some taxes, gas, etc.

Without going into too much detail, my operating costs normally run between 38%-40% of sales. Therefore, my mark-up is slightly more than that. We budget for a 5% net profit each year. The only way I can beat that budget is by decreasing costs or increasing prices. I can't increase pricing due to the competition in my area, especially in this economy. My specific industry is very capital intensive and requires me to have a large sum of capital tied up in inventory. That is why the operating costs in my industry are so high. If you have a small convenience store, then you can probably operate with 25%-35% operating costs. But a 10% mark-up is unheard of these days. Also, everyone's operating costs are different. For instance, I own the real estate I operate from and don't pay myself rent. This lowers my costs. I do this to be the most competitive in the areas I operate in. With only a 5% profit goal, I have to have a lot of sales volume to make anything. Some retailers have more costs due to high insurance, higher priced labor market, etc. Their pricing will be higher. This is why there is no such thing as a standard mark-up.

Regarding your comment about "greed", at least in the retail industry, a business can't operate competitively with a greedy pricing strategy. With the introduction of the internet and global markets, you simply can't price your goods at a level above the market norm. It is too easy to shop your competitors these days. Therefore, retailers focus on costs. When operating costs are raised on traditional brick & mortar stores like some taxes, wage increases, insurance, utilities, etc., that simply takes away from my profit margin. Remember, I only operate at a 5% margin, therefore, there is not much left to take. I can't simply raise my prices due to internet retail companies. If my margin goes much lower, it would benefit me more to simply sell my company and invest everything in tax-free municipal bonds. However, in that scenario, the government would get nothing from me and about 110 jobs would be lost.

I realize you are probably referring to large multi-national corporations and large multi-national banks when you use the terms "greed" and the "wealthy." But you need to realize most of our economy is made up of much smaller companies like mine. Right now, this segment of the economy is hurting badly because consumers simply aren't spending. Raising operating costs like taxes and wages right now would kill of a whole lot of these companies. That is why you hear from people like me complaining about raising costs during a down economy.

Hope this explains some things from my side of the fence.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#72292 Mar 15, 2013
Pete, it was a long time ago, in the 70's, but 10% was the Standard Mark-up for many years before that...if fact, through all my growing up years.

And yes it did increase, not too many years after that and has steadily increased since then, according to People that I know in the Business.

But, I'd like to ask you something, if I may...why don't you pay yourself Rent on your Property? Wouldn't that be Tax Deductible, as a Business Expense for your Business, and the extra money beneficial to your Personal Finances. I understand that you would have to pay Personal Income Taxes on it, but wouldn't you still come out a little ahead?
Dunn

Fulton, MS

#72293 Mar 15, 2013
ya'll goin 'at Haaslaam thang?

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#72297 Mar 15, 2013
Dunn wrote:
ya'll goin 'at Haaslaam thang?
WHAT Haslam Thang??? I can tell you right now that I'm not going , no matter what it is, but I WOULD like to know what you're talking about.
Dunn

Fulton, MS

#72298 Mar 15, 2013
tha Haaslaam thang

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#72299 Mar 15, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Well "NTM8DOR" after I called you out about post #71751, all I have heard from you is the sound of crickets.
As the post says, you got "hits" from a Google search. I never get them. I don't hear anyone hear except Liberals crying about bad links and viruses and all that. My system is clean so I can only guess that hackers are only targeting Liberals. Hence my statement about only Liberals being hacked. I did not say you got hacked. You claimed that you had 3 hits to your firewall from a Google search. 3 Hits would denote 3 attempts at hacking your computer.

Now to clarify for you, my point was and is that only Liberals on this thread seem to be having problems with hackers, whether it be actual hacking or attempted hacking.

I keep forgetting that, when dealing with Liberals, you have to explain everything in detail so their limited IQ can follow.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#72300 Mar 15, 2013
The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Many conservatives hold to the belief that the Earth is only 6,000 years old in spite of scientific evidence to the contrary. Most liberals do not. This alone dispels your little theory.
What Scientific evidence is that?

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#72301 Mar 15, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, WILLARD, this doesn't say much complimentary for me, but NONE of my Family want anything to do with Topix, not even to read it. They think it's just filthy trash and they don't want any part of it, just from what I've told them about it. So, that "assumption" of yours is incorrect.
Now, I'm not trying to deflate your Ego, but...if one of your assumptions is wrong, wouldn't it stand to reason that there may be more that are wrong, also? Just something for you to think about.:)
They know it must be filthy trash if you are on it. They want nothing to do with you.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#72302 Mar 15, 2013
The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite the eloquent Strawman you've created there, Willard, but it seems you're being intentionally obtuse, as I know you really can't be that ignorant.
Let me articulate this with a figurative crayon...
Conservative men claim that the male posters they are arguing with are actually women or gay men because they are afraid of engaging in a confrontation with another man out of sheer cowardice. They seem more comfortable "attacking" women than other men.
Wow, and to think that you depict liberals as being intellectually deficient. I'll try to use smaller words in the future, as you've shown yourself to be incapable of comprehending larger words, regardless of your arrogant propensity towards using them in your own posts.
You couldn't sufficiently defend my post so you attacked an inaccurate translation of said post. Transparent.
You just described your friend Linda.
Pete

Johnson City, TN

#72303 Mar 15, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
Pete, it was a long time ago, in the 70's, but 10% was the Standard Mark-up for many years before that...if fact, through all my growing up years.
And yes it did increase, not too many years after that and has steadily increased since then, according to People that I know in the Business.
But, I'd like to ask you something, if I may...why don't you pay yourself Rent on your Property? Wouldn't that be Tax Deductible, as a Business Expense for your Business, and the extra money beneficial to your Personal Finances. I understand that you would have to pay Personal Income Taxes on it, but wouldn't you still come out a little ahead?
Why Sassy, that is another very good question and a very astute observation. I will be happy to explain.

During a down economy, cash flow is crucial to a business, any business. Yes, we have ample reserves in case of emergencies, but I sleep better at night knowing I can pay my bills even during a recession. During a recession back in the 80's, I didn't have a large amount of reserve funds and needed to improve my cash flow. To help my company out, I simply quit paying myself rent. Yes, my company lost the tax deduction on this rent, but my taxes at that time amounted to about 28% of profits after deductions so not paying rent improved my cash flow by 72% of the cost of the rent. I never went back to paying myself rent because I consider the real estate I own as an investment and don't rely on any income generated off of it. Plus, I knew more recessions would come and decided to keep the company's cash flow very healthy on an on-going basis. This decision is largely based on the fact that I always want to operate as a debt-free company. I could always get a line of credit to help out during slow months, but I am very conservative as you know and don't want to owe anyone anything plus I don't want to incur interest charges.

Also, I am really not saving on taxes by paying myself rent in that when I do this, I have to pay personal income taxes on this payment. So you see, regardless on how I handle the rent, taxes will be owed. This is also a very good example of why I argue sometimes with you regarding taxes in relation to businesses. I don't know how very large, multi-national corporations develop a tax strategy, but it is virtually impossible for company's of my size to avoid paying any type of tax. I know of no loopholes. Yes, I try to save on taxes via charitable deductions, write-offs, certain employee related tax breaks, etc., but I am not one to risk doing anything questionable regarding taxes that could jeopardize my company. The IRS and the State are very good at keeping companies in line these days. I was actually audited a couple of months ago for franchise and use tax, but fortunately, we weren't assessed anything extra and were within all tax guidelines. I also employee a full time CPA to make sure we are operating legally. She does other things as well, but her main role is to keep us operating legitimately.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#72304 Mar 15, 2013
Nuh_ wrote:
Further on gasoline prices...
The Federal Governement's current FIXED tax rate is 18.4% per gallon for gasoline - and 24.4% for diesel.
There is talk in Washington of changing this from a fixed rate to a PERCENTAGE of motor fuel prices. This would let revenues (more money out of your pocket) to rise with fuel costs...and conveiniently camouflage the federal government's bigger bite.
This would allow you and me to gripe and complain about Big Oil - all the while it is government skimming off the top the whole time.
Enjoy.
Great post Nuh.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#72305 Mar 15, 2013
Handmewns wrote:
Hello all hope you enjoy my post!
Hello Handmewns and welcome.
Dunn

Fulton, MS

#72306 Mar 15, 2013
is obama going to take away nascar and guns? I hope raistlings safe, yall gone 'at haslam thang?

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#72308 Mar 15, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, I know I'm going to take a lot of flack for this Post, but it is my honest observation, IN MY AREA...not necessarily everywhere! I've only lived here, since I became Single, so I wouldn't have noticed or cared when I lived somewhere else.
That's not what you told me. You said that you and your husband split when you lived in Maryland.
THOMIS ID 7784903

Kemp, TX

#72309 Mar 15, 2013
im looking for a lady to hook up with when i get out.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#72310 Mar 15, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever thought about that the Gov't has to pay more for it's supplies, everything from Office Supplies to Fuel for our Airplanes...just like we do, and to pay those increased prices, it has to have more Tax Money?
So, my answer would be that it's the Hugely Over-inflated Salaries of the Big Corporations' and Businesses' Upper Mgmt. that the Gov't. makes purchases from...and in some cases, also subsidizes (Big Oil) that is the "Root" cause of those increased Taxes.
And have you ever thought that when a company has to pay higher wages due to Unions or minimum wage, etc., they will raise the price of their product to cover the extra expense and maintain their profit level? This, in turn makes everyone want more money because the cost of living just went up and the cycle begins again.
TOMIS ID 77849

Kemp, TX

#72311 Mar 15, 2013
anyone?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
greeneville sun 13 min courtwatch 9
The Alphabet game 13 min Dixie iron fist 9
"Long live the king " 18 min Kohlrabi 4
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 24 min Trunketeer 4,853
Body found in Greeneville creek 29 min river monster 9
KFC under new management? 31 min Trunketeer 15
YES another bad driver! 38 min Booger_ Burns 5
lawsuit against county schools 1 hr question 12
US NITROGEN buys 4 dollar horse for 150 k 3 hr Ted45 9
Greene County Schools 10 hr willard 117