Comments
60,521 - 60,540 of 146,251 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#66965 Feb 14, 2013
Nuh wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually believe the minimum wage is a farce...but its existence at all is an argument for another time.
Research by economists David Neumark of the University of California, Irvine, William Wascher of the Federal Reserve Board, and Mark Schweitzer of the Cleveland Fed shows that that minimum wages increase poverty and hence poverty reduction certainly shouldn’t be expected as a benefit of raising the minimum wage.
That’s because, contrary to common belief, the relationship between low wages and poverty is extremely weak. According to 20 years of research - worldwide - Neumark wrote:“The principal sources of an individual’s higher earnings are more schooling and the accumulation of experience and skills in the labor market,” both of which are discouraged by increases in the minimum wage."
He goes on, "I doubt there is ever a good time to raise the minimum wage... the negative consequences are worse when unemployment is high.
The bulk of the evidence — from scores of studies, using data mainly from the U.S. but also from many other countries — clearly shows that minimum wages reduce employment of young, low-skilled people.”
Here is a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Minimum-Wages-David-Neu...
I fail to see the logic in the notion that minimal increases in the minimum wage magically cause even a plurality of citizens to decide they don't want to do any better than the bare minimum. I just can't understand how minimum wage eliminates the inherent desire for advancing one's personal level of (if nothing else) wealth accumulation and, subsequently, the ability to own more "stuff."
Hey

Cookeville, TN

#66966 Feb 14, 2013
Whoops $
Hey

Cookeville, TN

#66967 Feb 14, 2013
Stop Trade Deficit Massive Job & Tax Loses
http://citizensforequaltrade.org/CET%Petition...
Nuh

South Pittsburg, TN

#66968 Feb 14, 2013
The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I fail to see the logic in the notion that minimal increases in the minimum wage magically cause even a plurality of citizens to decide they don't want to do any better than the bare minimum. I just can't understand how minimum wage eliminates the inherent desire for advancing one's personal level of (if nothing else) wealth accumulation and, subsequently, the ability to own more "stuff."
I agree to at least some of this OA - in that I can't understand why one wouldn't have the desire to advance one's personal level...One with any ambition at all would want to succeed - and do whatever is needed to do so.

However, as an employer I've seen many people of all ages and races that their whole desire is to do just enough for them - nothing more. They make minimum wage, if they work at all, and they have no desire or ability to ever rise above that level. They hop from job to job, and rely on the government (i.e. taxpayers) to support them between jobs.

That's not a 'safety net' to help protect poor or underprivileged giving them a 'hand-up'. That's a personal decision to remain where they are with their hands out.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#66969 Feb 14, 2013
"FreedonWorks Made Video Of Fake Giant Panda Having Sex With Fake Hillary Clinton."

("The Investigation at the influential Tea Party Group could get weird.")

Click here:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/02/p...
Begging

Knoxville, TN

#66970 Feb 14, 2013
Please remove this post...the election is long since over..this is so boring..
Yeah right

Scottsville, KY

#66971 Feb 14, 2013
Forget asking that the thread be taken down.

Topix, makes money with every page hit. This one is a real money maker for them.

If you don't like it. Don't look at it.
Really Sassy

Johnson City, TN

#66972 Feb 14, 2013
Mississippi Gurl wrote:
We need to name the MG and friends thread. What`cha think?
I think you are an IDIOT, a stupid friggen piece of dog shit, and what dame friends would that be of yours, you dont have any! What low-lifes that did hang with ya, you stole from and the rest you cheated them on there drugs and drank all there beer. Stupid piece of shit. Why dont you start that thread, the only ones posting would be YOU with different names, you dont fool anyone. Do the world a favor, OD.
WILLARD

Dunlap, TN

#66973 Feb 14, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
"FreedonWorks Made Video Of Fake Giant Panda Having Sex With Fake Hillary Clinton."
("The Investigation at the influential Tea Party Group could get weird.")
Click here:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/02/p...
I can guarantee you the "Hillary" in this account must be fake, or the bear is completely nuts! As an avid outdoorsman, I can speak authoritatively here..Bears have never been known to become this all all desparate, not even in spring after not bear-hugging a mama bear for months! Also in evidence here, the only hillary we've ever known has ALWAYS been a complete fake, and would be no more capable of attracting a bear in the woods than she was her husband in the oval office! Even with an executive order, Hillary could never convince the bear unless he had been eating enough firmented fruits and berries to become disrespectfully sh/t-faced! Save the money, don't waste an investigation on the obvious! This is all stupid b.s.
Brad

Chattanooga, TN

#66974 Feb 14, 2013
WILLARD wrote:
<quoted text>
I can guarantee you the "Hillary" in this account must be fake, or the bear is completely nuts! As an avid outdoorsman, I can speak authoritatively here..Bears have never been known to become this all all desparate, not even in spring after not bear-hugging a mama bear for months! Also in evidence here, the only hillary we've ever known has ALWAYS been a complete fake, and would be no more capable of attracting a bear in the woods than she was her husband in the oval office! Even with an executive order, Hillary could never convince the bear unless he had been eating enough firmented fruits and berries to become disrespectfully sh/t-faced! Save the money, don't waste an investigation on the obvious! This is all stupid b.s.
TOO hillarious!!!
Pete

Nashville, TN

#66975 Feb 14, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting more money in circulation (higher wages for People who will spend it for necessities) helps the economy grow and is good for the Nation.
BTW, the $9.00 p.h. won't be reached until 2015 or 2016...I think. Anyway, it's not all at once, immediately. Minimum Wage raises never are, they're gradual.
The reality regarding raising minimum wage is nil. This is strictly a political maneuver. How many jobs other than restaurant waitresses or bus boys and maybe landscaping crews pay minimum wage? McDonald's even pays more than minimum wage. In fact, all fast food joints do. How many people do you actually know that will work for minimum wage? And don't tell me babysitters or pet sitters or housekeeping jobs because most of them are paid tax free.

I always have at least 4 or 5 jobs open that pay $10/hr. because we can't find enough people we can hire to fill them. These days, you have to pass a background check and drug test to work, at least at a lot of places. It is very hard to find anyone meeting these criteria, at least in East Tennessee willing to work for $10/hr. Raising the minimum wage isn't going to make these people more hireable. Some employers may take a risk on some of these people in return for paying minimum wage, but when you advertise a job at minimum wage, you don't get a lot of responses.

I realize this may not be a nationwide thing, but it is reality in this area.
WILLARD

Dunlap, TN

#66976 Feb 14, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality regarding raising minimum wage is nil. This is strictly a political maneuver. How many jobs other than restaurant waitresses or bus boys and maybe landscaping crews pay minimum wage? McDonald's even pays more than minimum wage. In fact, all fast food joints do. How many people do you actually know that will work for minimum wage? And don't tell me babysitters or pet sitters or housekeeping jobs because most of them are paid tax free.
I always have at least 4 or 5 jobs open that pay $10/hr. because we can't find enough people we can hire to fill them. These days, you have to pass a background check and drug test to work, at least at a lot of places. It is very hard to find anyone meeting these criteria, at least in East Tennessee willing to work for $10/hr. Raising the minimum wage isn't going to make these people more hireable. Some employers may take a risk on some of these people in return for paying minimum wage, but when you advertise a job at minimum wage, you don't get a lot of responses.
This description of reality is exacly the same in the state I moved from. My policy was to feed (buy them lunch) anyone in my employ making $10.00 hourly. Unfortunately, this rate would, for the most part recruit drunks, addicts, and the worst of unskilled labor. I cared for these men and tried helping scores of them to varying degrees of success. I agree with Nuh regarding the negative social impact of the minimum wage. It's proven to be a self-fulfilling prophecy in the minds of unskilled people at large, who see themselves only through the prism of their "perceived" limitations of earning power and ability, not their potential! Thanks for you post.
Amos

Signal Mountain, TN

#66977 Feb 14, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text> I think you are an IDIOT, a stupid friggen piece of dog shit, and what dame friends would that be of yours, you dont have any! What low-lifes that did hang with ya, you stole from and the rest you cheated them on there drugs and drank all there beer. Stupid piece of shit. Why dont you start that thread, the only ones posting would be YOU with different names, you dont fool anyone. Do the world a favor, OD.
You are the stupid piece of shit. Plus, your registered name doesn't hide your stupidity either. F*cking piece of shit. All you do is bother otherwise posters with actual intelligent posts you f*cking idiot.
sunshine

Lewisburg, TN

#66979 Feb 14, 2013
WILLARD wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill said she was a cold fish.
123pictures

Lewisburg, TN

#66980 Feb 14, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Boehner already scratched the 9.00 and said NO!
FatassySenior

Mckinney, TX

#67002 Feb 14, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Nuh, I believe you really have good intensions, but when Mr. Neumark spoke of 20 years of research - worldwide......I stopped right there, and thought to myself just where did he go in those 20 years?
I myself have seen poverty all over the world and the poor being taken advantage of with the cheapest of labor.
Dunlapian, I feel kinda frisky, you ready to come dig the cob webs out of my cooter? Come on honey I know you like cottage cheese.
WILLARD

Dunlap, TN

#67003 Feb 15, 2013
Mississippi Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, I don`t need a dayum thing from you, or anyone else! When Linda Cooper leaves this forum, and starts a 2013 forum about all of this bullshit, then I will stop bullying her, ON THIS FORUM!
As for you, what I do, is none of your business!
I`ll tell you just like I tell everyone else that doesn`t like my posts, DON`T FCKN READ THEM!
Hey MG, Don't let this dufus offend you, This one is probably still stupid when sleeping! We musn't expect too much from anyone flying a moniker like this! I mean, how would YOU be affected if that's all you ever heard since you were a child when it was time for breakfast, school, wiping drool, pulling strange objects out of family pet orifices and regularly eating unmentionables and things from the toilet? Maybe you'd act out as well. I hope your day has been good. We made home-made mint chocolate chip icecream tonight. Good night...this stuff is awesome. I was gonna' save some for tomorrow......so much for that! Later.

Location hidden

#67004 Feb 15, 2013
Don't you wonder how many of these Trolls on here, make regular trips to Chicago...and what they bring back?
----------
"Cartel Kingpin Chicago's New Public Enemy No. 1."

Click here:

http://news.yahoo.com/cartel-kingpin-chicagos...
FatassySenior

Mckinney, TX

#67005 Feb 15, 2013
I send all of my suppliers to Chicago to keep me stocked up on ho ho's and twinkies.

Location hidden

#67006 Feb 15, 2013
And you People who vote for the Teapublicans actually think they are working for YOU??? You better think, again!
Even you Small Business Owners are being taken to the cleaners by the very Politicians and Political Party that are OWNED by the Mega Corporations, and you don't even know it!...SMH...and you think Fox Fake News is going to tell you this??? The Mega Corporations own Fox Fake News, too, so why would they? Get some common Sense, People!
----------
"Big Corporations Put Up Seed Funding For Republican Dark Money Group."

Click here:
http://www.propublica.org/article/big-corpora...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BODY CAMERAS for POLICE ist it time 9 min Kohlrabi 23
KFC why is floor so greasy 20 min Kohlrabi 16
chad watson 1 hr whatthewhat 1
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr WTH 9,341
BEWARE: Tinted Windows 1 hr Dr Wu 27
Greeneville people rude as hell 1 hr Dr Wu 26
Anybody know this loser 1 hr Starr 7
south greene football 15 hr CampCreeper 55
•••
•••