Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

pauper wrote:
<quoted text>
The minimum wage should be $10.00 an hour.
Don't short-change yourself.

Again, it should be $1,000.00 an hour - that way everybody can be rich.
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

pauper wrote:
<quoted text>
The minimum wage should be $10.00 an hour.
You can't live on $10 an hour. If raising the minimum wage will fix everything, why not just make it $50 and hour?

If you wanna fix poverty, FIX it.

As a matter of fact, why not change it's name from minimum wage to NATIONAL wage. Everyone gets $100 an hour, no matter what you do. Doctors get the same as burger flippers. Teachers get the same as custodians. And Wall Streeters all get $100 an hour. Actors?$100 an hour.

Fair is fair. No more income inequality. No more wealth inequality, and everyone making a living wage.
Nuh

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't live on $10 an hour. If raising the minimum wage will fix everything, why not just make it $50 and hour?
As a matter of fact, why not change it's name from minimum wage to NATIONAL wage. Everyone gets $100 an hour, no matter what you do. Doctors get the same as burger flippers. Teachers get the same as custodians. And Wall Streeters all get $100 an hour. Actors?$100 an hour.
Fair is fair. No more income inequality. No more wealth inequality, and everyone making a living wage.
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen!
WILLARD

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Nuh wrote:
Well, from what I've seen, here's as good an assessment as any...and it involves water:
Rubio: drinking water.
Obama: treading water.
MSM: carrying water.
Americans: underwater
Thanks, I needed this! LMAO
WILLARD

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Nuh wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually believe the minimum wage is a farce...but its existence at all is an argument for another time.
Research by economists David Neumark of the University of California, Irvine, William Wascher of the Federal Reserve Board, and Mark Schweitzer of the Cleveland Fed shows that that minimum wages increase poverty and hence poverty reduction certainly shouldn’t be expected as a benefit of raising the minimum wage.
That’s because, contrary to common belief, the relationship between low wages and poverty is extremely weak. According to 20 years of research - worldwide - Neumark wrote:“The principal sources of an individual’s higher earnings are more schooling and the accumulation of experience and skills in the labor market,” both of which are discouraged by increases in the minimum wage."
He goes on, "I doubt there is ever a good time to raise the minimum wage... the negative consequences are worse when unemployment is high.
The bulk of the evidence — from scores of studies, using data mainly from the U.S. but also from many other countries — clearly shows that minimum wages reduce employment of young, low-skilled people.”
Here is a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Minimum-Wages-David-Neu...
Thanks Nuh, excellent post.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Nuh wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually believe the minimum wage is a farce...but its existence at all is an argument for another time.
Research by economists David Neumark of the University of California, Irvine, William Wascher of the Federal Reserve Board, and Mark Schweitzer of the Cleveland Fed shows that that minimum wages increase poverty and hence poverty reduction certainly shouldn’t be expected as a benefit of raising the minimum wage.
That’s because, contrary to common belief, the relationship between low wages and poverty is extremely weak. According to 20 years of research - worldwide - Neumark wrote:“The principal sources of an individual’s higher earnings are more schooling and the accumulation of experience and skills in the labor market,” both of which are discouraged by increases in the minimum wage."
He goes on, "I doubt there is ever a good time to raise the minimum wage... the negative consequences are worse when unemployment is high.
The bulk of the evidence — from scores of studies, using data mainly from the U.S. but also from many other countries — clearly shows that minimum wages reduce employment of young, low-skilled people.”
Nuh, I believe you really have good intensions, but when Mr. Neumark spoke of 20 years of research - worldwide......I stopped right there, and thought to myself just where did he go in those 20 years?
I myself have seen poverty all over the world and the poor being taken advantage of with the cheapest of labor.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Wall Streeters at %100 dollars an hour? Most Wall Streeters belong in prison.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Nuh wrote:
<quoted text>
I fail to see the logic in the notion that minimal increases in the minimum wage magically cause even a plurality of citizens to decide they don't want to do any better than the bare minimum. I just can't understand how minimum wage eliminates the inherent desire for advancing one's personal level of (if nothing else) wealth accumulation and, subsequently, the ability to own more "stuff."
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Whoops $
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Stop Trade Deficit Massive Job & Tax Loses
http://citizensforequaltrade.org/CET%Petition...
Nuh

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I fail to see the logic in the notion that minimal increases in the minimum wage magically cause even a plurality of citizens to decide they don't want to do any better than the bare minimum. I just can't understand how minimum wage eliminates the inherent desire for advancing one's personal level of (if nothing else) wealth accumulation and, subsequently, the ability to own more "stuff."
I agree to at least some of this OA - in that I can't understand why one wouldn't have the desire to advance one's personal level...One with any ambition at all would want to succeed - and do whatever is needed to do so.

However, as an employer I've seen many people of all ages and races that their whole desire is to do just enough for them - nothing more. They make minimum wage, if they work at all, and they have no desire or ability to ever rise above that level. They hop from job to job, and rely on the government (i.e. taxpayers) to support them between jobs.

That's not a 'safety net' to help protect poor or underprivileged giving them a 'hand-up'. That's a personal decision to remain where they are with their hands out.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

"FreedonWorks Made Video Of Fake Giant Panda Having Sex With Fake Hillary Clinton."

("The Investigation at the influential Tea Party Group could get weird.")

Click here:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/02/p...
Begging

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Please remove this post...the election is long since over..this is so boring..
Yeah right

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Forget asking that the thread be taken down.

Topix, makes money with every page hit. This one is a real money maker for them.

If you don't like it. Don't look at it.
Really Sassy

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Mississippi Gurl wrote:
We need to name the MG and friends thread. What`cha think?
I think you are an IDIOT, a stupid friggen piece of dog shit, and what dame friends would that be of yours, you dont have any! What low-lifes that did hang with ya, you stole from and the rest you cheated them on there drugs and drank all there beer. Stupid piece of shit. Why dont you start that thread, the only ones posting would be YOU with different names, you dont fool anyone. Do the world a favor, OD.
WILLARD

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
"FreedonWorks Made Video Of Fake Giant Panda Having Sex With Fake Hillary Clinton."
("The Investigation at the influential Tea Party Group could get weird.")
Click here:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/02/p...
I can guarantee you the "Hillary" in this account must be fake, or the bear is completely nuts! As an avid outdoorsman, I can speak authoritatively here..Bears have never been known to become this all all desparate, not even in spring after not bear-hugging a mama bear for months! Also in evidence here, the only hillary we've ever known has ALWAYS been a complete fake, and would be no more capable of attracting a bear in the woods than she was her husband in the oval office! Even with an executive order, Hillary could never convince the bear unless he had been eating enough firmented fruits and berries to become disrespectfully sh/t-faced! Save the money, don't waste an investigation on the obvious! This is all stupid b.s.
Brad

Chattanooga, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

WILLARD wrote:
<quoted text>
I can guarantee you the "Hillary" in this account must be fake, or the bear is completely nuts! As an avid outdoorsman, I can speak authoritatively here..Bears have never been known to become this all all desparate, not even in spring after not bear-hugging a mama bear for months! Also in evidence here, the only hillary we've ever known has ALWAYS been a complete fake, and would be no more capable of attracting a bear in the woods than she was her husband in the oval office! Even with an executive order, Hillary could never convince the bear unless he had been eating enough firmented fruits and berries to become disrespectfully sh/t-faced! Save the money, don't waste an investigation on the obvious! This is all stupid b.s.
TOO hillarious!!!
Pete

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting more money in circulation (higher wages for People who will spend it for necessities) helps the economy grow and is good for the Nation.
BTW, the $9.00 p.h. won't be reached until 2015 or 2016...I think. Anyway, it's not all at once, immediately. Minimum Wage raises never are, they're gradual.
The reality regarding raising minimum wage is nil. This is strictly a political maneuver. How many jobs other than restaurant waitresses or bus boys and maybe landscaping crews pay minimum wage? McDonald's even pays more than minimum wage. In fact, all fast food joints do. How many people do you actually know that will work for minimum wage? And don't tell me babysitters or pet sitters or housekeeping jobs because most of them are paid tax free.

I always have at least 4 or 5 jobs open that pay $10/hr. because we can't find enough people we can hire to fill them. These days, you have to pass a background check and drug test to work, at least at a lot of places. It is very hard to find anyone meeting these criteria, at least in East Tennessee willing to work for $10/hr. Raising the minimum wage isn't going to make these people more hireable. Some employers may take a risk on some of these people in return for paying minimum wage, but when you advertise a job at minimum wage, you don't get a lot of responses.

I realize this may not be a nationwide thing, but it is reality in this area.
WILLARD

Pikeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality regarding raising minimum wage is nil. This is strictly a political maneuver. How many jobs other than restaurant waitresses or bus boys and maybe landscaping crews pay minimum wage? McDonald's even pays more than minimum wage. In fact, all fast food joints do. How many people do you actually know that will work for minimum wage? And don't tell me babysitters or pet sitters or housekeeping jobs because most of them are paid tax free.
I always have at least 4 or 5 jobs open that pay $10/hr. because we can't find enough people we can hire to fill them. These days, you have to pass a background check and drug test to work, at least at a lot of places. It is very hard to find anyone meeting these criteria, at least in East Tennessee willing to work for $10/hr. Raising the minimum wage isn't going to make these people more hireable. Some employers may take a risk on some of these people in return for paying minimum wage, but when you advertise a job at minimum wage, you don't get a lot of responses.
I realize this may not be a nationwide thing, but it is reality in this area.
This description of reality is exacly the same in the state I moved from. My policy was to feed (buy them lunch) anyone in my employ making $10.00 hourly. Unfortunately, this rate would, for the most part recruit drunks, addicts, and the worst of unskilled labor. I cared for these men and tried helping scores of them to varying degrees of success. I agree with Nuh regarding the negative social impact of the minimum wage. It's proven to be a self-fulfilling prophecy in the minds of unskilled people at large, who see themselves only through the prism of their "perceived" limitations of earning power and ability, not their potential! Thanks for you post.
Amos

Signal Mountain, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text> I think you are an IDIOT, a stupid friggen piece of dog shit, and what dame friends would that be of yours, you dont have any! What low-lifes that did hang with ya, you stole from and the rest you cheated them on there drugs and drank all there beer. Stupid piece of shit. Why dont you start that thread, the only ones posting would be YOU with different names, you dont fool anyone. Do the world a favor, OD.
You are the stupid piece of shit. Plus, your registered name doesn't hide your stupidity either. F*cking piece of shit. All you do is bother otherwise posters with actual intelligent posts you f*cking idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

109 Users are viewing the Greeneville Forum right now

Search the Greeneville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 15 min cretin56 3,388
psycho moms (Nov '12) 22 min cameron 48
Old club 23 min NobodyUKno 4
If ur gas pedal get stuck whilst driving u need... 31 min Shemp Fan 1
Mayor loses his cool in meeting lol 43 min I care 128
Humane Society Spay Clinic closing... 47 min Money Man 20
good ole boys- lets name them 50 min the mafia 10
Lost respect for GPD 54 min Sunshine 75
Greeneville: 4 main reasons that people refuse ... 56 min cretin56 65