Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#62369 Jan 14, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> This is what happens when severe austerity measures are implimented during a deep recession. Curtailing government spending during recessionary periods always leads to a deeper recession. It is at times like these that the government becomes the only entity that can spur economic activity. The time to institute economic austerity for governments is when their economies are booming, not when they are contracting.
Over the past 20 years, federal spending grew 71 percent faster than inflation.

Entitlement spending more than doubled over the past 20 years, growing by 110 percent. Discretionary spending grew by 60 percent.

Deficits have pushed up the debt each year since 2002 as federal spending exceeded revenue.

Fiscal year 2012 marked the fourth consecutive year of $1 trillion deficits.

Without pointing the fickle finger of blame, it is obvious that the government is spending like never before, yet we're still mired in a miserable economy, that has a very gloomy outlook.

Care to explain why, if government spending is the only way to spur economic activity, that it hasn't worked, and may indeed have made things worse?
CrashBurn

North Augusta, SC

#62370 Jan 14, 2013
Nuh wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Here's basically what Keynesian adherents believe:
Problem: Excessive Debt
Cause: Spending too much money
Solution: Spend MORE money
Ludricous. The way to control debt is to quit spending.
Quit spending so much money! You simply cannot spend - or tax - yourself into prosperity.
Here is what idiots believe. Quit spending and everything will balance out. If that were even close to the truth, you could live an an especially extravagant lifestyle if you spent no money at all. But, some of us call people who live that way "homeless".
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#62371 Jan 14, 2013
Barack Obama today: "You don't go out to dinner and leave after eating everything you want without paying the check. And if you do, you’re breaking the law."

Flashback: White House Forgets to Pay Father’s Day Lunch Tab

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/...

"Amid the bustle of President Obama’s surprise stop for barbecue Wednesday the White House apparently overlooked one key detail: the bill."

Flashback: Obama refuses to pay Portsmouth $30K for campaign visit costs.

"PORTSMOUTH — A request by the city to be reimbursed $30,003 in costs associated with a Sept. 7 presidential campaign stop has been denied by the Obama for America office."

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/201212...

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#62372 Jan 14, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Hold on just one minute, I never ever said you could lose your job if you don't do what the Union wants.(Right to Work State)Unless you want me to take your statement literally, then I could say, you could lose your life if do not do as I say and don't jump off the mountain.
Please allow me to explain again;
If the Union calls a strike and I cross the picket line to keep working, while the Union and Company keep barginning, from that point on I will be known as a "Scab".
Now after the contract is signed and everybody goes back to work, I as a Scab will not belong to the Union that just got me my raise and other benefits. They still will have to honor any grievances I might have against the company.
It would be my co-workers that would not talk to me, or help me,ect. thus slowing down production. Management would not like this atmosphere, so more often than not they would promote and transfer me very far away and hope(or could care less) where I end up no one finds out that I scabbed. Because if craft finds out their boss scabbed then again production would go down........but this time I'm a manager(with no protection) they would fire me, I would have no where to turn.......but to hit the road.
The Union didn't get me fired, it was my own greedy action that got me fired. Any good Union has to follow the Labor laws. Any good Union has to have members that stick together and still follow the laws also. It's the greedy people(in this case) that get fired.
It's the overpaid greedy union workers that start and cause the trouble in the first place. Now explain to me how a union can insure that I can work or actually have a job. The trucking industry has many cases where companies have closed their doors rather than give in to ridiculous union demands. The cost of labor is one of the biggest expenses any company has. When that gets too high, they have to raise the price of their products. Like the auto industry. Eventually that price is too high for the average person to buy. Sales go down. Then you have what you have now. A virtual ghost town where Detroit used to be. Empty plants. All because some people and their union decided to rip everyone else off. But you are retired. You got yours. What do you care that there are no jobs now to replace yours. Those jobs went overseas because it is cheaper to pay labor there and transport parts back here than it is to pay union scale for unskilled employees.
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#62373 Jan 14, 2013
A Democrat shoot yourself in the foot story:

Obama’s push for fuel efficient cars has resulted in better mileage, and fewer stops at the pump. Fantastic success story, wouldn’t you say?

Well, according to a Government Accountability Office study, the government's highway fund is going broke, and needs a tax hike.

Whoa! We didn’t thinkathat!

So the push is on for a Per Mile Tax, rather than a Per Gallon tax.

Read and weap, rural AmeriKa:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/650863.pdf
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#62374 Jan 14, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>It's the overpaid greedy union workers that start and cause the trouble in the first place. Now explain to me how a union can insure that I can work or actually have a job. The trucking industry has many cases where companies have closed their doors rather than give in to ridiculous union demands. The cost of labor is one of the biggest expenses any company has. When that gets too high, they have to raise the price of their products. Like the auto industry. Eventually that price is too high for the average person to buy. Sales go down. Then you have what you have now. A virtual ghost town where Detroit used to be. Empty plants. All because some people and their union decided to rip everyone else off. But you are retired. You got yours. What do you care that there are no jobs now to replace yours. Those jobs went overseas because it is cheaper to pay labor there and transport parts back here than it is to pay union scale for unskilled employees.
I really don't know that much about the trucking industry and their main Union "The Teamsters". But I am confused as to why they use to be so pro-Republican at the same time the Republicans are so anti-union.
I don't believe you can really blame the Unions for what is happening in Detroit. Not since first we let other countries like Japan, Korea, Germany(who have even more powerful unions) sell their products over here, with low if any tariffs. Then have these same companies come over here and build their auto's in states where unions are looked down on and the wages are very low and the states are letting them do it with very low taxes, cheap land even help them out with connecting infrastructure, at our expense. It's a win-win with foreign auto company's, while the average American worker is just keeping his head above water. So the average American worker spends less and the rest of the economy(small business) is just crawling along.
Now if the American worker is unionized he/she will have more money to spend at the small businesses and the economy will start moving.
When I retired, my job was filled right away with another skilled union member. I'm very proud of that, so I do care very much about what happened when I retired. I am worried about how long this can go on, I see so much greed on the big scale........and I'm talking about the Romney types, they are the one's that are strangling our economy and blaming it on the little union worker.
dislikeu

Johnson City, TN

#62377 Jan 14, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>Since when is it my responsibility to help people that cry to the feds after a natural disaster? I did not ask the Government for help. Not even after the floods in Kansas and Tennessee and a hurricane in Virginia. I just buckled down and worked to replace my losses. Incidentally, I have said all along that we never should have gotten into foreign aid as a country. It is not my job to "save" all of them either. Charities helped people in other countries very well before our country got involved and started giving money to the leaders in those countries who lined their own pockets with it and it never made it to the people it was supposed to help. Of course, since the US decided to give this money away, they had to take more from the taxpayers, who, in turn, had less to give charities so they could help less people. In all, foreign aid is just a way for politicians to feel good about themselves while further stealing from the American people in order to try and buy the friendship of countries who do and forever will hate us.
This is the only time I have to say, I agree with you, 100%.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#62378 Jan 14, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>I really don't know that much about the trucking industry and their main Union "The Teamsters". But I am confused as to why they use to be so pro-Republican at the same time the Republicans are so anti-union.
I don't believe you can really blame the Unions for what is happening in Detroit. Not since first we let other countries like Japan, Korea, Germany(who have even more powerful unions) sell their products over here, with low if any tariffs. Then have these same companies come over here and build their auto's in states where unions are looked down on and the wages are very low and the states are letting them do it with very low taxes, cheap land even help them out with connecting infrastructure, at our expense. It's a win-win with foreign auto company's, while the average American worker is just keeping his head above water. So the average American worker spends less and the rest of the economy(small business) is just crawling along.
Now if the American worker is unionized he/she will have more money to spend at the small businesses and the economy will start moving.
When I retired, my job was filled right away with another skilled union member. I'm very proud of that, so I do care very much about what happened when I retired. I am worried about how long this can go on, I see so much greed on the big scale........and I'm talking about the Romney types, they are the one's that are strangling our economy and blaming it on the little union worker.
In 1984 my wife were one of about 15 teams on a dedicated run that went from Port Huron, Mi. to Laredo Tx and back. I believe you said you worked for Chrysler. Then you should know about this. Our job was to pick up a load of engine blocks and heads fresh from the foundry. We transported these raw parts to Laredo where they were loaded on Mexican trucks and shipped to a town south of Mexico City(the name of the town escapes me) where the milling work was done on these heads and blocks. They were then brought back to Laredo and reloaded on to our trucks and we too them back to Port Huron. After arrival there these same parts were then reloaded onto Canadian trailers and transported to another small town in northern Ontario and there these engines were assembled then brought back to Port Huron where they were shipped to American plants to be installed in cars. This was cheaper than paying American Machinists and assemblers union wages to build these engines. This run went away when Chrysler started having the blocks forged in yet another country losing more American jobs. Now tell me how good the unions are for America. Union workers only care about how much they can get for themselves no matter what affect it will have on the overall economy. Union officials are do not care about the workers. They only want more members so they can get more dues to pay their 6 and 7 or more figure salaries.And if they cant get the money any other way they rob the pension fund.

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#62379 Jan 14, 2013
dislikeu wrote:
<quoted text> This is the only time I have to say, I agree with you, 100%.
Thanks

“IMNTBHO”

Location hidden

#62380 Jan 14, 2013
Not Willard wrote:
<quoted text>I get it...you would rather pay more for gas and get crappy mileage and reduce the use of fuel because of a few cents in tax ?? Are you really that nuts ??
Than pay yet another new tax? Are you really nuts enough to let this country start one more new form of taxation? Since you like paying taxes so much, why don't you send your entire paycheck to the government every week? It is only a matter of time until they think of enough ways to get it all anyway.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#62384 Jan 14, 2013
Nuh wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Here's basically what Keynesian adherents believe:
Problem: Excessive Debt
Cause: Spending too much money
Solution: Spend MORE money
Ludricous. The way to control debt is to quit spending.
Quit spending so much money! You simply cannot spend - or tax - yourself into prosperity.

Here is what austerity advocates believe:
Problem: A world economy in deep recession.
Cause: A monetary crisis and a near collapse of the U.S. Banking system as a result of a housing bubble disaster.
Result: loss of demand for goods and services, the collapse of the value of real estate, high unemployment, falling consumer spending.
Solution: Take a trillion dollars a year out of the economy to balance the Federal Budget.
Ludicrious. The way to get out of a recession is to increase the monetary supply, not further constrain it.

We have a front row seat on austerity, as European countries spiral downward under a misguided effort to balance their budgets in a severe recession. It will take decades to undo what the E.U. has foisted on countries like Greece, Spain and Italy.
The time to address debt and deficits is when the business cycle is expanding, unemployment is low, wages are increasing,and consequently tax revenues are growing. That economy can stand cuts in government spending.

Unfortunately, when a robust economy returns if it ever does.....Republicans will want another tax cut instead of a balanced budget and paying off of the debt.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#62386 Jan 14, 2013
Not Willard wrote:
<quoted text>If you use less or no gas or other fuel, the government will lose money for roads. They will make it up somewhere else. If i drive a car which uses something other than gasoline i can expect them to find another way. Higher mpg equals less gas tax........How do you propose they fund road repair ?? I'm sure you really like using them.
Taxes ???? FOR roads ??? You're kidding right ??? Why in the fronteer envisioned by the tea party, each family has an axe and a pick and shovel in the back of their wagon, if that doesn't clear the way.....well you just don't need to go !
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#62387 Jan 14, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is what austerity advocates believe:
Problem: A world economy in deep recession.
Cause: A monetary crisis and a near collapse of the U.S. Banking system as a result of a housing bubble disaster.
Result: loss of demand for goods and services, the collapse of the value of real estate, high unemployment, falling consumer spending.
Solution: Take a trillion dollars a year out of the economy to balance the Federal Budget.
Ludicrious. The way to get out of a recession is to increase the monetary supply, not further constrain it.
We have a front row seat on austerity, as European countries spiral downward under a misguided effort to balance their budgets in a severe recession. It will take decades to undo what the E.U. has foisted on countries like Greece, Spain and Italy.
The time to address debt and deficits is when the business cycle is expanding, unemployment is low, wages are increasing,and consequently tax revenues are growing. That economy can stand cuts in government spending.
Unfortunately, when a robust economy returns if it ever does.....Republicans will want another tax cut instead of a balanced budget and paying off of the debt.
So what do you believe, oh wise one?
SIMPLE MAN

Knoxville, TN

#62389 Jan 14, 2013
Sad that you all defend the democrats and republicans none of them would piss on you if you were on fire .
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#62390 Jan 14, 2013
NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1984 my wife were one of about 15 teams on a dedicated run that went from Port Huron, Mi. to Laredo Tx and back. I believe you said you worked for Chrysler. Then you should know about this. Our job was to pick up a load of engine blocks and heads fresh from the foundry. We transported these raw parts to Laredo where they were loaded on Mexican trucks and shipped to a town south of Mexico City(the name of the town escapes me) where the milling work was done on these heads and blocks. They were then brought back to Laredo and reloaded on to our trucks and we too them back to Port Huron. After arrival there these same parts were then reloaded onto Canadian trailers and transported to another small town in northern Ontario and there these engines were assembled then brought back to Port Huron where they were shipped to American plants to be installed in cars. This was cheaper than paying American Machinists and assemblers union wages to build these engines. This run went away when Chrysler started having the blocks forged in yet another country losing more American jobs. Now tell me how good the unions are for America. Union workers only care about how much they can get for themselves no matter what affect it will have on the overall economy. Union officials are do not care about the workers. They only want more members so they can get more dues to pay their 6 and 7 or more figure salaries.And if they cant get the money any other way they rob the pension fund.
No sorry, I never worked for Chrysler or any Auto company. So I have no idea what you are talking about. Not sure where you are getting your union figures from, but I have never ever heard of such numbers. I'm not saying it does not happen, just that I have never seen or heard of it.
Union official's I have dealt with were local Presidents/District Officers and the District Officers made just a few dollars more than me.
They want more members yes for money to pay overhead(which is hugh,like arbirtration for non Union members) but mostly for strenght through unity.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#62392 Jan 14, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> This is what happens when severe austerity measures are implimented during a deep recession. Curtailing government spending during recessionary periods always leads to a deeper recession. It is at times like these that the government becomes the only entity that can spur economic activity. The time to institute economic austerity for governments is when their economies are booming, not when they are contracting.
You posted a snapshot in time of what is happening in Europe that is factual. Then you suggest the United States follow Europe down the slope back into recession, and if austerity measures are severe enough....depression. That will really fill government coffers and balance the budget.
This reminds me of another poster who, after reading about a fellow Tennesseean who is in danger of death from the loss of Tenncare insurance, advised this person to support the repeal of Obamacare, a program which when it is fully enacted next January, has the potential to save this person's life.
You are absolutely correct, OT. But, these Teapublicans cannot understand that concept. They have so little knowledge of anything , relating to the economy of a Government and they continue to try and equate it with a Home or Business economy...which is a sure-fire Recipe for the economic failure of a Nation!
I've never know a Group of People who are as ignorant to the workings of the Gov't., in the past, that think they have all the answers and all the answers they have are sure to doom this Country because they simply don't understand how a Gov't works and they refuse to learn. Ignorance is dangerous and they are a Prime Example of that statement.
I have no doubt that the Koch Bros. had the demographics of the most uninformed and the most ignorant of Economic Principles in the Nation, reseached...and those are the People whom they targeted to recruit into the Tea Party. It was probably very easy to do and they may have just looked at the emails to FFN, RL, and any and all Republican Propaganda Sites and they would have instantly known that those were the People to recruit, simply from their totally ignorant views they expressed in those emails.
You cannoyt tell them anything because they think they know it all and all they know is so simple-minded and erronous that it boggles the mind of a rational, thinking Person! But, their biggest fault is that they will make no effort to educate themselves nor face the reality of the consequences of what actions they have caused this Country to adopt. They only lie and blame the Democrats and Obama for what they, themselves have caused! They DEMAND to have their way 100% and when it backfires in everybody's face, they never take responsibility for what THEY CAUSED! I suspect they live their Personal Lives the same way! Over-bearing, Controlling Know-it-all's who don't know squat and refuse to learn, is all they are!

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#62393 Jan 14, 2013
SIMPLE MAN wrote:
Sad that you all defend the democrats and republicans none of them would piss on you if you were on fire .
Well, the Teapublicans wouldn't, that's for sure! As far as the Democrats go, it would depend on which one it is! Some of them still work for the American People, but NONE of the Teapublicans do, NONE of them...unless you're Super Wealthy, of course!
Goodbye

United States

#62394 Jan 14, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
After you, Buddy, after you! I don't really care if it was a typo or a misspelling, you got the point...now shut up your petty criticisms. If I wanted to be graded on my Spelling or my Typing, I would have hired a Teacher!
You couldn't afford me!
Jessica

Cookeville, TN

#62395 Jan 14, 2013
I vote for Rick!He's my man!He will get us all kinds of new roads and stuff!
Hey

Manchester, TN

#62396 Jan 14, 2013
The US has got it's nose in El-Salvador's affairs and helpin big business help themselves.Sorta suckin that country dry.
http"//counterpunch.org/2 113/01/11/the-u-s-and-the-priv atization-of-el-salvador/
Then there is Big Bad Chevez and his actions in his country.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/12/14/the-ac... .
And where would you rather be?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Feeling lonely for the holidays 43 min HolyChaos76 69
Worst probation officer in Greene County? (May '10) 1 hr unreal 70
"Greeneville police: 2 infants found dead in ho... 1 hr lovely place 6
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 2 hr Analog man 5,541
What is your favorite poem? 3 hr csmaven 127
***** last post wins ***** 4 hr Yea 547
Girls, do you really like being spanked? (Dec '10) 4 hr Spankings 141
wheel tax 7 hr GreeneCountyGirl 112
Does any one know anything bout the poor baby t... 8 hr Word Warrior 12
Aggravated Statutory Rape in Greene County 18 hr Counsler Bob 97