Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#61635 Jan 6, 2013
Dunlapian, I found this on the PBS "Frontline" Website. It tells us some possible reasons why.
----------
"Why Soldiers Keep Losing To Suicide."

Click here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/forei...
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#61636 Jan 6, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
I found this interesting...just food for thought.
----------
"The Case Against Billionaires."
Click here:
http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/13698-the-c...
Good Morning Sassy. This piece about Billionaires is mind opening and just a microcosm of the difference that we as Americans live with. The very poor and the very rich.......and those in the middle are getting poorer, which in turn will start slowing the whole economy down.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#61637 Jan 6, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
Dunlapian, I found this on the PBS "Frontline" Website. It tells us some possible reasons why.
----------
"Why Soldiers Keep Losing To Suicide."
Click here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/forei...
Sassy, I read the article and found some things that I never had to face when I returned from Vietnam and some other things that I did.
I never took on a relationship or got married before going to Vietnam. Upon returning I landed a great job and stayed single and never committed to a relationship for a good number of years. So I was lucky to have a good income at the same time enjoyed my single life.
Now Leon Panetta mentions financial and drug problems, I believe if you have financial problems that I believe would lead to drug problems, not the other way around
That is why I was so upset that the Republicans killed the "Veterans Jobs Bill".
I also think young people today take on way to much responsibility like getting married, having kids, or visa versa. I think they should all stay single for at LEAST 5 years after high school.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#61638 Jan 6, 2013
Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
GW's first term started with 4.2% unemployment and ended with 7.8%
Obama's first term started with 7.8% unemployment, and after hitting a high of 10%, is still mired at 7.8%, a net gain of 0%.
Of course, during the last 4 years, they've had to exclude millions of people who've given up looking for work, and are no longer included in the calculations. Otherwise, it would be about 16%.
I guess you can make statistics do whatever you want them to do.
No matter what moronic pablum you spit up, the economy still sucks, and isn't getting any better.
Proving once again, that Obama got the moron vote.
O.K. fair enough, let's just throw out all of the statistics. Let's go to hard evidence........like home sales(selling and sold). Four years ago we had so many house's up for sale and very, very few sold. Now today the difference is just the reverse. I'm talking about nationwide, I'm sure you can find some pockets where this is not true.
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#61639 Jan 6, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
I found this interesting...just food for thought.
----------
"The Case Against Billionaires."
Click here:
http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/13698-the-c...
This article, a serious treatise about outlawing billionaires, came out on Jan 3. You're just getting around to it? And you call yourself informed?

Let's see. No Billionaires. Means no Microsoft. No Facebook.

Good move.
Sorry

Johnson City, TN

#61640 Jan 6, 2013
Bob the Buckeye wrote:
...Crapped all over the bondholders in the process also. Let's be honest about it, Barry saved the UAW, he couldn't give a rat's behind about the average worker. Here is the proof - where is your middle class tax relief. You sure didn't get it this week, your taxes went up....
Sorry, but I found the poison pill (see above) that you slipped into the line you are trying to feed us.Those wonderful Bush era federal income tax cuts--helped the accruing wealth of the 1-2%ers
to soar--they are staying in place for incomes below $450,000.Tax is not increasing for us.
What you talking about, Willis? The tax holiday (over 2 years old?) on SS WITHHOLDING--put in place by Obama in recession crunch--has been lifted, and it is going up 2% to about 6.2% to an original level.
Personally, I would like to protect Social Security by paying into it, wouldn't you?:-)
HoT

Beechgrove, TN

#61641 Jan 6, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
I'm re-posting this because I really want People to read it, because I think it is SO important for you to understand what led up to what I believe is very likely to happen, at some point in time, in the not so distance future, if some changes aren't made quickly.
----------
"Secrets And Lies Of the Bailout."
("The Federal rescue of Wall Street didn't fix the economy--it created a permanent bailout state based on a Ponzi-like confidence sheme. and the worst may be yet to come.")
Click here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/sec...
First if all the Rollingstone is a very liberal paper. So you are a very liberal person. Let me ask you, if NBS, MSNBC, CNN, CBS etc. are so good why is it they only have liberals/ democrats on the shows they have spitting out information about the other side. WHyis there a double standard for the lib and Conservs. Yes we both have our far fringes but its the left middle to far left that worries me. Most of these are drawbacks from the hippie days where free love, drugs where started. If you recall that was during JFK/Johnsons time. Oh JFK was a conservative. MY goodness, over half of this nation is taking from the gov. in one way or the other."Why should I work if I can make it and not do nothing" You have the vote and from now on it will be republican only. But remember this. Those kids that were not hippies, grew up training their kids to watch out for your kind. The children of today especially those college kids when they hit reality and find the cannot find a job. Maybe another 20 years, if China does not attack us and take us over.
HoT

Beechgrove, TN

#61642 Jan 6, 2013
AT least FOX News has both side, which lets me decide what is going on unlike the other side being mindless and lead down the primrose path to destruction.
Common Sense

Johnson City, TN

#61643 Jan 6, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>....
Now Leon Panetta mentions financial and drug problems, I believe if you have financial problems that I believe would lead to drug problems, not the other way around
That is why I was so upset that the Republicans killed the "Veterans Jobs Bill".
I also think young people today take on way to much responsibility like getting married, having kids, or visa versa. I think they should all stay single for at LEAST 5 years after high school.
I agree. I do not know (yet) what Leon Panetta said, but our common sense tells us that lack of hope has to play some part in the use of drugs among the teens and 20's.If they are sitting in a household where nobody works, or somebody (their mule) works 2 or 3 part-time jobs and somebody else fakes a disability to get by, and Sis's baby qualifies them for housing where one or some of them can crash...If they wake every morning and face every weekend knowing this is the kind of day they will know for the rest of their lives...God, I am getting depressed just talking about it...let's go cook some poison.
I am playing Devil's advocate here. Hell,I will not cook poison or take stuff that does not change the real situation!Where are their brains?
We have to work toward a stronger job market.

Location hidden

#61644 Jan 6, 2013
HoT wrote:
<quoted text>
First if all the Rollingstone is a very liberal paper. So you are a very liberal person. Let me ask you, if NBS, MSNBC, CNN, CBS etc. are so good why is it they only have liberals/ democrats on the shows they have spitting out information about the other side. WHyis there a double standard for the lib and Conservs. Yes we both have our far fringes but its the left middle to far left that worries me. Most of these are drawbacks from the hippie days where free love, drugs where started. If you recall that was during JFK/Johnsons time. Oh JFK was a conservative. MY goodness, over half of this nation is taking from the gov. in one way or the other."Why should I work if I can make it and not do nothing" You have the vote and from now on it will be republican only. But remember this. Those kids that were not hippies, grew up training their kids to watch out for your kind. The children of today especially those college kids when they hit reality and find the cannot find a job. Maybe another 20 years, if China does not attack us and take us over.
What on earth does your Post have to do with the Article or even the Title? Try reading the Article before you do your rant! And since you didn't read it, I'll tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with anything you posted...you can read the Title, can't you?

Location hidden

#61645 Jan 6, 2013
HoT wrote:
AT least FOX News has both side, which lets me decide what is going on unlike the other side being mindless and lead down the primrose path to destruction.
You won't even read anthing that isn't OK'ed by Fox News...how pitifully brainwashed and controlled you are!
Just stay stupid, it's not going to bother me nor affect me.

Location hidden

#61646 Jan 6, 2013
...anything...
Textiles

Johnson City, TN

#61647 Jan 6, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I do not know (yet) what Leon Panetta said, but our common sense tells us that lack of hope has to play some part in the use of drugs among the teens and 20's.If they are sitting in a household where nobody works, or somebody (their mule) works 2 or 3 part-time jobs and somebody else fakes a disability to get by, and Sis's baby qualifies them for housing where one or some of them can crash...If they wake every morning and face every weekend knowing this is the kind of day they will know for the rest of their lives...God, I am getting depressed just talking about it...let's go cook some poison.
I am playing Devil's advocate here. Hell,I will not cook poison or take stuff that does not change the real situation!Where are their brains?
No jobs should make any smart person decide not to marry or mmake a baby right now!Think how many married people split up becuz of $$ problems. Some people on our local forum think that working at our textile plant, the lint or the atmosphere or something, leads to fornification and marriages splitting up. But I think the problems are worse where the couple is not lucky enough to even have a job--how can they hang together and take care of the baby through the stress--I think it is better not to have the baby in hard times.
Textiles

Johnson City, TN

#61648 Jan 6, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Judge me a lemon. I started off talking about your Leon Panetta statement but rambled, I know. I worry about how hard times are making morals worse, and we were allready in trouble with weaker family values before the awful recession hit!
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#61649 Jan 6, 2013
HoT wrote:
In fact, Bush told them (a known fact that keep getting buried)that if they kept loaning money on homes people who could not pay for them, failing of the banks would happen.
The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
We're creating... an ownership society in this country, where more Americans than ever will be able to open up their door where they live and say, welcome to my house, welcome to my piece of property.- President George W. Bush, October 2004.[2]
Oh, you're SO smart. But HoT is correct. The Bush Admin had been warning about Fannie & Freddie. But your party of morons and the press called this racism. Remember that mensa member Maxine Waters testifying in 2004 and saying, Mr. Chairman, we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac, and in particular at Fannie Mae, under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines. Everything in the 1992 act has worked just fine.”

I guess that’s not on your DNC list of witty comebacks.

Of course the reason she was testifying was that beginning in April 2001, the Bush Administration’s FY02 budget declared that the size of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is “a potential problem,” because “financial trouble of a large GSE could cause strong repercussions in financial markets, affecting Federally insured entities and economic activity.” And in May of 2002, the President called for the disclosure and corporate governance principles contained in his 10-point plan for corporate responsibility to apply to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

This lead to Freddie Mac announcing in 2003, that it had to “restate” financial results for the previous three years. This was kinda like the shit hitting the fan, if you will. Indeed, in February, the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) released a report explaining that “although investors perceive an implicit Federal guarantee of GSE obligations,”“the government has provided no explicit legal backing for them.” As a consequence, unexpected problems at a GSE could immediately spread into financial sectors beyond the housing market.

Was anyone listening? No! We were too busy making fun of Bush to pay attention.

In September Fannie Mae disclosed the SEC investigation and acknowledged OFHEO’s review found earnings manipulations.

Uh, oh. Earnings “manipulations”. I like that term. It’s liberal for “We f_cked you over.”

In October, Fannie Mae discloses $1.2 billion accounting error. I mean manipulation. Just a small one.

In February 2004, the President’s FY05 Budget again highlights the risk posed by the explosive growth of the GSEs and their low levels of required capital, and called for creation of a new, world-class regulator:“The Administration has determined that the safety and soundness regulators of the housing GSEs lack sufficient power and stature to meet their responsibilities, and therefore…should be replaced with a new strengthened regulator.”

Well, that was too much for democrats. Barney Frank called the Bush admin “racist”, Maxine supported ole Franklin Raines, probably because she was getting part of the $90 million he took when he left.

One thing is for sure though, Obama will never be able to say,“We're creating... an ownership society in this country.” On the other hand, maybe he will. The government will own the people.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#61650 Jan 6, 2013
Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Oh, you're SO smart. But HoT is correct. The Bush Admin had been warning about Fannie & Freddie. But your party of morons and the press called this racism. Remember that mensa member Maxine Waters testifying in 2004 and saying, Mr. Chairman, we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac, and in particular at Fannie Mae, under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines. Everything in the 1992 act has worked just fine.”
Of course the reason she was testifying was that beginning in April 2001, the Bush Administration’s FY02 budget declared that the size of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is “a potential problem,” because “financial trouble of a large GSE could cause strong repercussions in financial markets, affecting Federally insured entities and economic activity.” And in May of 2002, the President called for the disclosure and corporate governance principles contained in his 10-point plan for corporate responsibility to apply to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
This lead to Freddie Mac announcing in 2003, that it had to “restate” financial results for the previous three years. This was kinda like the shit hitting the fan, if you will. Indeed, in February, the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) released a report explaining that “although investors perceive an implicit Federal guarantee of GSE obligations,”“the government has provided no explicit legal backing for them.” As a consequence, unexpected problems at a GSE could immediately spread into financial sectors beyond the housing market.
Was anyone listening? No! We were too busy making fun of Bush to pay attention.
In September Fannie Mae disclosed the SEC investigation and acknowledged OFHEO’s review found earnings manipulations.
Uh, oh. Earnings “manipulations”. I like that term. It’s liberal for “We f_cked you over.”
In October, Fannie Mae discloses $1.2 billion accounting error. I mean manipulation. Just a small one.
In February 2004, the President’s FY05 Budget again highlights the risk posed by the explosive growth of the GSEs and their low levels of required capital, and called for creation of a new, world-class regulator:“The Administration has determined that the safety and soundness regulators of the housing GSEs lack sufficient power and stature to meet their responsibilities, and therefore…should be replaced with a new strengthened regulator.”
Well, that was too much for democrats. Barney Frank called the Bush admin “racist”, Maxine supported ole Franklin Raines, probably because she was getting part of the $90 million he took when he left.
One thing is for sure though, Obama will never be able to say,“We're creating... an ownership society in this country.” On the other hand, maybe he will. The government will own the people.
Oh brother ! You are still blaming Fannie and Freddie ? Let me get this straight....you don't think this mess had ANYTHING to do with the fact that housing value was rising faster than it could be calculated by bank appraisers ? I know a couple of "investors" that would buy a house, slap a coat of paint on it in a week and sell it at a 33% profit in a matter os a few more days. That is called a housing bubble.
Add to that the fact that banks no longer held the mortgages but sold them to Wall Street Banks which turned then into "investment grade securities" to be sold to fools, after they were submitted to the ratings agencies (sometimes numerous times until they were given favorable ratings) then betting against those very investments with firms like AIG and you get what we got....the shaft.
Fannie and Freddie were the tip of the iceburg.....no MUCH smaller than that, but keep your head in the sand, dont spend any time looking at the whole picture. You might learn how the taxpayers, and those folks who took out those loans from Freddie and Fannie were both handed a crap sandwich and made to eat it as the bankers on Wall Street ate filet mignon WE paid for.
HoT

Beechgrove, TN

#61653 Jan 6, 2013
No this started back in Carter days, where the afirmative plans was to put as many people in a home regardless of the fact most of them could not pay for it. It reached its climax in the early days of Clinton and carried forth in the Bush years.Why would you loan somebody $30,000 to buy a home knowing they could not pay for it. Part of it was the banks. If the person defaulted, they would get the property back at a reduced cost. Their assets would go sky high. Where the problem was the gov. said ok if you do this we will guarantee it but they could not because so many had bee sold. It most all Democrats and I am sure there were a few Liberal republicans. Everyone wants to bring home the bacon so they will get reelected.

Now it is so simple. Just tell the people on subsidies the Republicans are going to take them away and poof-----you have your democratic voter regardless of the surrounding reality.
Hey

Manchester, TN

#61655 Jan 6, 2013
Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
This article, a serious treatise about outlawing billionaires, came out on Jan 3. You're just getting around to it? And you call yourself informed?
Let's see. No Billionaires. Means no Microsoft. No Facebook.
Good move.
What...no Billy Boy Gates? Oh No.You mean 47,000 kids from India would be spared from his(US rejected)wonderful polio vaccine program help which has left those kids paralized.
Oh too bad no Billy.
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#61659 Jan 6, 2013
Rep. Jose Serrano reintroduced a bill to repeal presidential term limit.

Maybe we can just make Obama Emperor. Or King.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#61660 Jan 6, 2013
HoT wrote:
Now it is so simple. Just tell the people on subsidies the Republicans are going to take them away and poof-----you have your democratic voter regardless of the surrounding reality.
Would that work the same for corporate subsidies as well? Or should I expect some backpedaling?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Non profit church pays bill for citizen at a pr... 14 min whothehellcares- 17
Jason Blake 32 min Gene the Gutter B... 31
drug trafficking at 1214 Eastview Ln? 56 min Phentermine Peddl... 4
***** last post wins ***** 56 min Trunketeer 1,442
Greeneville police at night 1 hr Monkeyfist 31
Eat it haters 2 hr U R Dumb 26
STD kings of Greeneville 2 hr Really 10
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 8 hr TheUnkownPoster 7,555
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:47 pm PST

NFL 4:47PM
Ereck Flowers of Miami a possible fit for Carolina Panthers
Bleacher Report10:43 AM