Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

#61580 Jan 5, 2013
Unreal wrote:
<quoted text>
I think one thing they could work on in SS is disability. I read an interesting article yesterday that said an estimated 12 million working age people are on disability and that is more people than the total people working in manufacturing jobs in this country. I know it is necessary for many people, but I believe there is some major abuse in that area. When I read my SS statement, I am just amazed at how much more I could draw now on disability than if I work until I am 67 to 70. I think there are many people out there who have figured out how to work this system at the expense of everyone else.
I can tell you what happened to a LOT of those who are on disability around here. Many people worked for years in those factories I posted about, that closed or moved to China and Mexico. Those folks were for the most part older, and in less demand as factories downsized everywhere. They found themselves without a job, without health insurnce, and close to retirement age but not close enough...They could not find work with health coverage, had pre-existing conditions, and couldn't afford the premiums on their own if they didn't. SO, they availed themselves of the only avenue they had without going bankrupt first. They signed up for Social Security Disability. Many would have found a minimum wage job somewhere if they had insurance, because most of those I am talking about had worked all of their lives, but they didn't.
The ACA will slow this down, since coverage without pre-existing exclusions will be available on a sliding scale.

This is not to say that there aren't some who abuse the system, because there ALWAYS are, but the vast majority that I know were in the catch 22 I outlined above. A tough place to be after working all of your life. Naturally, the politicians never noticed as they made it ever easier to outsource American jobs to cheap labor countries.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#61581 Jan 5, 2013
OT, you're right about that, too. It's alot the same here.
I had a Dr. tell me one time that a Factory will use you up and throw you away, especially the Factories of today that require you to work a lot harder than they used to, under a lot worse conditions. And alot of the workers aren't capable, or don't have enough confidence in themselves, to do any of the jobs except the hardest Ones and they will literally work themselves to death at those hard jobs, doing everything the hard way, rather than trying to find easier, safer ways to do them, while accomplishing the same results.
tinkywinky

Woodruff, SC

#61582 Jan 5, 2013
How do u do it an easier way?all I've ever known is the hard way.
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

#61583 Jan 5, 2013
Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> I can tell you what happened to a LOT of those who are on disability around here. Many people worked for years in those factories I posted about, that closed or moved to China and Mexico. Those folks were for the most part older, and in less demand as factories downsized everywhere. They found themselves without a job, without health insurnce, and close to retirement age but not close enough...They could not find work with health coverage, had pre-existing conditions, and couldn't afford the premiums on their own if they didn't. SO, they availed themselves of the only avenue they had without going bankrupt first. They signed up for Social Security Disability. Many would have found a minimum wage job somewhere if they had insurance, because most of those I am talking about had worked all of their lives, but they didn't.
The ACA will slow this down, since coverage without pre-existing exclusions will be available on a sliding scale.
This is not to say that there aren't some who abuse the system, because there ALWAYS are, but the vast majority that I know were in the catch 22 I outlined above. A tough place to be after working all of your life. Naturally, the politicians never noticed as they made it ever easier to outsource American jobs to cheap labor countries.
I don't have as big a problem with that as I so Sassy's scenario. I don't think we should be paying drug addicted parents so that they can keep their children because we all know drug addicted parents are not taking care of their kids with that money. If we really have that big a problem with drug addicted parents, then maybe it is time we open orphanages in this country because the chances of a child raised in that environment becoming productive members of society are slim, so it sounds like we are perpetuating the problem.

I said in my first post that I understand some people needing those benefits. I have seen several that I don't think fit that category. I know some 30 to 40 somethings that are on it because they have back pain, and will work for cash if they can find someone who will give it to them. I have back pain too... I believe the lawyer ads on TV are a good indication that we have a problem. They show those 30 to 40 somethings that are so happy that the lawyer got them "the money they deserve". No, I do not want those people and drug addicts drawing SS disability benefits!
tinkywinky

Woodruff, SC

#61584 Jan 5, 2013
I think if u take the long hard rd,whatever it is ur trying to accomplish will mean a whole lot more to u n u will gain soo much more than u wld if u took the short easy way out.
analyist

Lewisburg, TN

#61585 Jan 5, 2013
After read a few of the recent posts in this thread, I have come to realize that the shallow end of the gene pool is overfloying.
local yokel

Lewisburg, TN

#61586 Jan 5, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
OT, you're right about that, too. It's alot the same here.
I had a Dr. tell me one time that a Factory will use you up and throw you away, especially the Factories of today that require you to work a lot harder than they used to, under a lot worse conditions. And alot of the workers aren't capable, or don't have enough confidence in themselves, to do any of the jobs except the hardest Ones and they will literally work themselves to death at those hard jobs, doing everything the hard way, rather than trying to find easier, safer ways to do them, while accomplishing the same results.
I bet that you are on welfare. Am I right?
Barry Obama Is a Failure

Nolensville, TN

#61590 Jan 5, 2013
The lying Democrats pulled one over on everyone and the media is just now picking up on it. Barry's Obama's tax plan for the "RICH" has translated into taxes going up on 77% of tax payers. That's right, you thought only maybe 2% of the "rich" tax payers got hit with higher taxes, LOL...wrong. Fact check this Democraps.......A working person making less than $10,000 will see a $68 per year increase in his federal taxes now.
Ignorant voters believe everything these lying politicians feed them.
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

#61591 Jan 5, 2013
Unreal wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have as big a problem with that as I so Sassy's scenario. I don't think we should be paying drug addicted parents so that they can keep their children because we all know drug addicted parents are not taking care of their kids with that money. If we really have that big a problem with drug addicted parents, then maybe it is time we open orphanages in this country because the chances of a child raised in that environment becoming productive members of society are slim, so it sounds like we are perpetuating the problem.
I said in my first post that I understand some people needing those benefits. I have seen several that I don't think fit that category. I know some 30 to 40 somethings that are on it because they have back pain, and will work for cash if they can find someone who will give it to them. I have back pain too... I believe the lawyer ads on TV are a good indication that we have a problem. They show those 30 to 40 somethings that are so happy that the lawyer got them "the money they deserve". No, I do not want those people and drug addicts drawing SS disability benefits!
But you were against drug testing for welfare and food stamps?

You do realize that at some point, "chronically unemployed" will become a disability. They are already considered a minority with special protections. We gotta do something with these people - might as well put them on disability. It'll be cheaper than extending unemployment benefits.

Local

Johnson City, TN

#61592 Jan 5, 2013
Barry Obama Is a Failure wrote:
The lying Democrats pulled one over on everyone and the media is just now picking up on it. Barry's Obama's tax plan for the "RICH" has translated into taxes going up on 77% of tax payers. That's right, you thought only maybe 2% of the "rich" tax payers got hit with higher taxes, LOL...wrong. Fact check this Democraps.......A working person making less than $10,000 will see a $68 per year increase in his federal taxes now.
Ignorant voters believe everything these lying politicians feed them.
We are still getting a tax break on our income taxes. The R's insisted that this same break must extend all the way up to $450,000 per year!(They look after the rich)
What you are talking about is the temporary holiday on withholding tax (SS) Obama gave us a couple of years back to help us in the recession. So the current 4.2% withholding goes back to the usual 6.2%. Toughen up and don't be bitter about the election outcome.
tinkywinky

Charlotte, NC

#61593 Jan 5, 2013
My daddy told me to tell u its already n the bag,soo suck it up azzwipe twerps
gomer

Morristown, TN

#61594 Jan 5, 2013
tinkywinky wrote:
My daddy told me to tell u its already n the bag,soo suck it up azzwipe twerps
why
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

#61595 Jan 5, 2013
Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that at some point, "chronically unemployed" will become a disability. They are already considered a minority with special protections. We gotta do something with these people - might as well put them on disability. It'll be cheaper than extending unemployment benefits.
Are you a mind reader now too Tim? I didn't post anything even close to pertaining to drug testing for food stamps. The rest of your post is ridiculous as usual.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#61596 Jan 5, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
We are still getting a tax break on our income taxes. The R's insisted that this same break must extend all the way up to $450,000 per year!(They look after the rich)
What you are talking about is the temporary holiday on withholding tax (SS) Obama gave us a couple of years back to help us in the recession. So the current 4.2% withholding goes back to the usual 6.2%. Toughen up and don't be bitter about the election outcome.
It's really hard to ask a Eunuch to toughen up.......I'm sorry for that comment!
Anyhow old Limbaugh and Beck really scammed that Tea Party-Aligned group FreedomWorks for Millions of Bucks, saying they didn't get their money's worth. HA!

Location hidden

#61597 Jan 5, 2013
tinkywinky wrote:
How do u do it an easier way?all I've ever known is the hard way.
I rest my case! lol!
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

#61598 Jan 5, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be wrong, but wasn't the original SS deduction 7.5%? If I am correct, it didn't even go back to the original deduction. So the increase is 2% or $200 on every 10K.

Location hidden

#61599 Jan 5, 2013
Unreal wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say I agreed with it, I just posted the reason for it, from the State and Federal Gov't.'s point of view, which is MONEY. The cheaper alternative is what the Gov't. always looks for, when they really don't know what to do about a problem, just like alot of Others do, also.
If there is no acceptable solution, yet something HAS to be done, then just do the cheaper option...that's true in every situation, inside and outside of Gov't., if you think about it, even in Individual situations.

Location hidden

#61600 Jan 5, 2013
Unreal wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be wrong, but wasn't the original SS deduction 7.5%? If I am correct, it didn't even go back to the original deduction. So the increase is 2% or $200 on every 10K.
If memory serves, because I posted a Link SINCE the Fiscal Cliff Deal, telling the figures...it was originally 6.2%, before the Recession, and it went back up to 4.2%, which leaves it still 2% lower than it was before the TEMPORARY decrease due to the bad economy.
I don't remember the percentage it increased FROM, that it had been temporarily lowered to because of the bad economy.
So YES, it is STILL 2% LOWER than it was before the Recession!
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

#61601 Jan 5, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say I agreed with it, I just posted the reason for it, from the State and Federal Gov't.'s point of view, which is MONEY. The cheaper alternative is what the Gov't. always looks for, when they really don't know what to do about a problem, just like alot of Others do, also.
If there is no acceptable solution, yet something HAS to be done, then just do the cheaper option...that's true in every situation, inside and outside of Gov't., if you think about it, even in Individual situations.
I didn't think you agreed with it, but it is a sad alternative.
Willie Welfair

Dallas, TX

#61602 Jan 5, 2013
Truth Detector wrote:
<quoted text>
Just say NO to any testing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Greeneville police: 2 infants found dead in ho... 9 min Worried Mom 49
Jordan Greenway 30 min Annoyedbythisforum 5
How offen do u eat her out? 34 min 123 say alimony 19
Why so paranoid? 38 min Greene Light 10
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 1 hr Word Woman 5,571
facebook 1 hr Veronica 11
wheel tax 1 hr wheel 121
Feeling lonely for the holidays 4 hr Veronica 100
Principal at Mosheim 9 hr oh lawd 55
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greeneville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greeneville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:21 am PST

ESPN11:21AM
Rivera 'confident' Newton will start Sunday
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
ESPN 9:39 AM
Setback-free Newton to start against Browns
NFL11:45 AM
Panthers' Cam Newton named starter vs. Browns