Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in 2010?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

Comments (Page 2,795)

Showing posts 55,881 - 55,900 of123,802
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Truth Detector

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

I think our society is just a little too uptight.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/montco-school-s...

MontCo school suspends 6-year-old for pretend gunshot

"The 6-year-old, who attends Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Silver Spring, made a gun with his hands, pointed it at another student and said "pow," according to Robin Ficker, the boy's attorney. He was given a one-day suspension, with a conference on the matter planned for Jan. 2, the day students return to school from winter break."

When the school officials are wound up this tight, why are we surprised when some of their students lose it?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Watching CNN...

Republican representatives whose districts were hit by Sandy are livid over their own party's refusal to pass the relief bill. There goes the East Coast.
Fat White Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Truth Detector wrote:
I think our society is just a little too uptight.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/montco-school-s...
MontCo school suspends 6-year-old for pretend gunshot
"The 6-year-old, who attends Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Silver Spring, made a gun with his hands, pointed it at another student and said "pow," according to Robin Ficker, the boy's attorney. He was given a one-day suspension, with a conference on the matter planned for Jan. 2, the day students return to school from winter break."
When the school officials are wound up this tight, why are we surprised when some of their students lose it?
It is becoming more like China here everyday.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Nuh wrote:
<quoted text>
The GOP didn't pass the Senate bill because there was $9 BILLION of pork spending that had absolutely NOTHING to do with Sandy relief. It was an excellent decision to nix it.
Now, the Democrat-controlled Senate had not passed a budget in 4 years...although the Republican-controlled House HAS each and every year. Now, WHO has no capacity to lead again?
Yeah, most of that pork was for Alaska.........a very Red State!
Today Chris Christe(R) Gov. New Jersey, is finding out that Republicans eat their own, and it's Boehner who is the chef. "Bon Appetit"!
Leroy Snot

Vonore, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

BREAKING: Rumor - Boehner to resign as Speaker of the House tonight at 5 pm eastern time, after coup by Eric Cantor. According to source Ron Mayer, American Majority Action (a conservative PAC).
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>This GOP controlled House is the worst, they can't even pass a bill(that the Senate already approved of), for the victims of Super Storm Sandy. So now they will have to wait until the new term comes in. The Republican Leadership has no capacity to lead!
Dunlapoan, the new Congress can't just take up the Left-over Bill and vote on it. When a new Congress comes in, the complete process has to start all over again!
With everything the New Congress has on its plate, not to mention the new Members just getting settled in and learning their way around...and the process of the Senate having to vote on the Bill all over, again...Lord only knows how much longer all of that will take.
I haven't hear any News today...I hope Boehner called them all back in Session today and voted on it, but I doubt it because most of them have probably already left Town, especially the Ones who were voted out and won't serve in the New Congress.
I just don't know what those States and the People that were so damaged by "Sandy", are going to so to survive! It's literally a Life and Death situation, after all they've already been through!
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

I got this as an email from a friend. The concept sounds good, so I thought I'd pass it along.

When a company falls on difficult times, one of the things that seems to happen is they reduce their staff and workers.
The remaining workers must find ways to continue to do a good job or risk that their job would be eliminated as well.

Wall street and the media normally congratulate the CEO for making this type of "tough decision," and the board of directors gives upper corporate management big bonuses.

Our government should not be immune from similar risks.

Therefore, it is proposed:

Reduce the House of Representatives from the current
435 members to 218 members.
Reduce Senate members from 100 to 50
(one per State).
Then, reduce their remaining staff by 25%.

Accomplish this over the next 8 years
(two steps/two elections). Of course this would require some redistricting.

Some Yearly Monetary Gains Include:

$44,108,400 for elimination of base pay for congress.
(267 members X $165,200 pay/member/ yr.)

$437,100,000 for elimination of their staff.
(Estimate $1.3 Million in staff per each member of the House, and $3 Million in staff per each member of the Senate every year.)

$108,350,000 for the reduction in remaining staff by 25%.

$7,500,000,000 reduction in pork barrel earmarks each year.(Those members whose jobs are gone.)
Current estimates for total government pork earmarks are at
$15 Billion/yr.

The remaining representatives would need to work smarter and improve efficiencies.
It might even be in their best interests to work together for the good of our country!

We may also expect that smaller committees might lead to a more efficient resolution of issues as well. It might even be easier to keep track of what your representative is doing.

Congress has more tools available to do their jobs than it had back in 1911 when the current number of representatives was established.
(Telephone, computers, cell phones to name a few.)

Note:
Congress does not hesitate to head home for extended weekends, holidays and recesses, when what the nation needs is a real fix for economic problems. Also, we had 3 senators who were not doing their jobs for their 18+ months on the campaign trail and still they all accepted full pay. Minnesota survived very well with only one senator for the first half of this year. These facts alone support a reduction in senators and Congress.

Summary of opportunity:

$44,108,400 reduction of congress members.

$282,100,000 for elimination of the reduced house member staff.

$150,000,000 for elimination of reduced senate member staff.

$70,850,000 for 25% reduction of staff for remaining house members.

$37,500,000 for 25% reduction of staff for remaining senate members.

$7,500,000,000 reduction in pork added to bills by the reduction of congress members.

$8,084,558,400 PER YEAR, estimated total savings.
(That's 8-BILLION just to start!)

Corporate America does these types of cuts all the time.
There's even a name for it.

"Downsizing."
----------
Also, if Congresspersons were required to serve 20, 25 or 30 years (like everyone else) in order to collect retirement benefits, taxpayers could save a bundle.

Now they get full retirement after serving only ONE term.

Something to think about huh?
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Cornbread wrote:
I got this as an email from a friend. The concept sounds good, so I thought I'd pass it along.
When a company falls on difficult times, one of the things that seems to happen is they reduce their staff and workers.
The remaining workers must find ways to continue to do a good job or risk that their job would be eliminated as well.
Wall street and the media normally congratulate the CEO for making this type of "tough decision," and the board of directors gives upper corporate management big bonuses.
Our government should not be immune from similar risks.
Therefore, it is proposed:
Reduce the House of Representatives from the current
435 members to 218 members.
Reduce Senate members from 100 to 50
(one per State).
Then, reduce their remaining staff by 25%.
Accomplish this over the next 8 years
(two steps/two elections). Of course this would require some redistricting.
Some Yearly Monetary Gains Include:
$44,108,400 for elimination of base pay for congress.
(267 members X $165,200 pay/member/ yr.)
$437,100,000 for elimination of their staff.
(Estimate $1.3 Million in staff per each member of the House, and $3 Million in staff per each member of the Senate every year.)
$108,350,000 for the reduction in remaining staff by 25%.
$7,500,000,000 reduction in pork barrel earmarks each year.(Those members whose jobs are gone.)
Current estimates for total government pork earmarks are at
$15 Billion/yr.
The remaining representatives would need to work smarter and improve efficiencies.
It might even be in their best interests to work together for the good of our country!
We may also expect that smaller committees might lead to a more efficient resolution of issues as well. It might even be easier to keep track of what your representative is doing.
Congress has more tools available to do their jobs than it had back in 1911 when the current number of representatives was established.
(Telephone, computers, cell phones to name a few.)
Note:
Congress does not hesitate to head home for extended weekends, holidays and recesses, when what the nation needs is a real fix for economic problems. Also, we had 3 senators who were not doing their jobs for their 18+ months on the campaign trail and still they all accepted full pay. Minnesota survived very well with only one senator for the first half of this year. These facts alone support a reduction in senators and Congress.
Summary of opportunity:
$44,108,400 reduction of congress members.
$282,100,000 for elimination of the reduced house member staff.
$150,000,000 for elimination of reduced senate member staff.
$70,850,000 for 25% reduction of staff for remaining house members.
$37,500,000 for 25% reduction of staff for remaining senate members.
$7,500,000,000 reduction in pork added to bills by the reduction of congress members.
$8,084,558,400 PER YEAR, estimated total savings.
(That's 8-BILLION just to start!)
Corporate America does these types of cuts all the time.
There's even a name for it.
"Downsizing."
----------
Also, if Congresspersons were required to serve 20, 25 or 30 years (like everyone else) in order to collect retirement benefits, taxpayers could save a bundle.
Now they get full retirement after serving only ONE term.
Something to think about huh?
I had a similar thought last night while they were hashing this out because of a similar situation on a local level. We have so many commissioners that they can't agree on anything, and it seems the same is true in congress. That is quite a savings and very tempting since not many of them seem to be earning their salary these days. I guess the down side is the loss of jobs on down the line just adds to the unemployment rolls.

And I totally agree that they should have to work 25 to 30 years like the rest of us to get a lifetime retirement! Unfortunately, some of them I hate that we are stuck with them for that length of time…
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Sorry cornbread, but NO, it's not really anything to think about.
First of all, what "3 Senators" is it talking about on the Campaign Trail...the only one I know was Paul Ryan.
Second of all, how on earth would 50 Senators represent 369 Million People? Granted, they don't do a very good job of it now, but one Senator for a State the size of California???
As far as the Congressmen in the House, I've never fully understood how they arrive at that number for each State or how they determine the districts they are to represent, since they seem to be able to change that , at will, with redistricting. It's supposed to be determined by the Population in a specific area, but like I said, that doesn't go along with the "redistricting" to win a Political advantage, so it's become "Greek" to me.
Plus, there are so many other "Perks" that members of Congress (both Houses) enjoy , that costs more in total than anything that was mentioned, but...it's the Members of congress that would have to vote to cut some or all of them out...and they will NOT do that!
So, somebody with very little knowledge of Gov't. spent alot of time thinking up these things, that either CANNOT be done for practical reasons and we would be worse off, if they were, or...WILL NOT be done because the Only Ones that can do them, are the ONLY Ones that will be affected affected by them...and therefore, that just will NOT EVER happen!
I've said it before and I'll say it again because the Tea Party Members in particular, simply can NOT understand it or comprehend it...the Federal Gov't. IS NOT run like a Corporation! A Corporation is not responsible for the Lives of 369 million People, if they no longer work for it...the Federal Gov't. is...as defined by our Constitution!
Comparing the way a Corporation is run and the way our Federal is run, is like comparing a Toy Car to an Abrams Tank...there is no legitimate comparison, PERIOD!
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

It will never happen Sassy,that is true enough.

A man can dream can't he?
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Really Sassy wrote:
Sorry cornbread, but NO, it's not really anything to think about.
First of all, what "3 Senators" is it talking about on the Campaign Trail...the only one I know was Paul Ryan.
Second of all, how on earth would 50 Senators represent 369 Million People? Granted, they don't do a very good job of it now, but one Senator for a State the size of California???
As far as the Congressmen in the House, I've never fully understood how they arrive at that number for each State or how they determine the districts they are to represent, since they seem to be able to change that , at will, with redistricting. It's supposed to be determined by the Population in a specific area, but like I said, that doesn't go along with the "redistricting" to win a Political advantage, so it's become "Greek" to me.
Plus, there are so many other "Perks" that members of Congress (both Houses) enjoy , that costs more in total than anything that was mentioned, but...it's the Members of congress that would have to vote to cut some or all of them out...and they will NOT do that!
So, somebody with very little knowledge of Gov't. spent alot of time thinking up these things, that either CANNOT be done for practical reasons and we would be worse off, if they were, or...WILL NOT be done because the Only Ones that can do them, are the ONLY Ones that will be affected affected by them...and therefore, that just will NOT EVER happen!
I've said it before and I'll say it again because the Tea Party Members in particular, simply can NOT understand it or comprehend it...the Federal Gov't. IS NOT run like a Corporation! A Corporation is not responsible for the Lives of 369 million People, if they no longer work for it...the Federal Gov't. is...as defined by our Constitution!
Comparing the way a Corporation is run and the way our Federal is run, is like comparing a Toy Car to an Abrams Tank...there is no legitimate comparison, PERIOD!
As far as Senators on the campaign trail, Scott Brown comes to mind. Paul Ryan is Congress.
really

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>This GOP controlled House is the worst, they can't even pass a bill(that the Senate already approved of), for the victims of Super Storm Sandy. So now they will have to wait until the new term comes in. The Republican Leadership has no capacity to lead!
Well your dumbass lying Prez said no tax increase for middle income families and guess what he did. What to vote for a lying POS like him. you are a dumbass for voting for that jackass
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

After thinking some on your query...

It would be possible to have a 1 Senator representation in most states.
Local community aldermen speak with people from their districts. They take those problems, ideas, and such, to City governments. They listen to their constituents proposals. Then, a representative of those local governments reports to the Higher ups in each State. Issues are debated. Then those results are presented to a Senator, who then takes it to Washington to be heard and debated. And so on, and so forth.
The chain of command.
Technically, it is feasible.
Personally.. I always thought that is the way government was suppose to work anyway.

I could give Calif. 3 and Texas 2 Senators .:)

Don't take me to seriously tonight . I'm in a good mood :P
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Where I live, the City Aldermen are assigned to Depts. in the City Gov't. and that is what they deal with and oversee. If it is not their Dept., such as the Water Dept., they will refer all complaints to the Alderman who is assigned to the City Water Dept., as an example.
So, each Municipality even in the same State, must have the option of setting up their Local Gov't. as they see fit.
Also, referring to the "3 Senators for CA. and 2 Senators for Texas"...what happens if there is a mass Exodus of Residents from CA to TX? Then, CA would be Over-Represented and TX would be Under-Represented for, at least, the remainder of the Senators Terms...and maybe longer, if the fluctation in the number of Residents in the different States was not known or calculated...and that cost money to keep doing over and over consistently.
The System we have isn't perfect, but it seems to me that it is the best we can do, for the money and Equal Representation Fairness, and I'm sure we would have changed it all before now, if anybody could have thought of a legitimate way to make it better, keeping the Representation Fairness and Cost, in mind.
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

really wrote:
<quoted text>Well your dumbass lying Prez said no tax increase for middle income families and guess what he did. What to vote for a lying POS like him. you are a dumbass for voting for that jackass
No, for the Average American, Taxes were NOT raised...the Temporary Tax BREAKS that were put in place to help the People, because of the Recession, were just allowed to expire! And that was one of the Concessions that had to be made by the Democrats, to get the Republicans to reach a Deal to save the Country's Economy, overall.
Read the Links that I've posted for the last 2 Days, at least, and you will understand what was done and why. There are many of them, that I've posted, to explain it all!
If you really want to understand it all, then you have to make an effort to find out and clicking on a SAFE Link and reading it, takes very little effort...when it affects your Life and your Income.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

However, if they followed the corporate model, the savings from "downsizing" the labor element would simply go back to the executives.
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

I don't agree that it is the best we can do. But it is what it is, and not likely to change in my lifetime.
<change of subject>

I find it hard to swallow that we can send Trillions of dollars to nations all over the world. Adding to the American taxpayers woes.
While we ignore the basic needs of our own.
Heartless, was the Republicans side step on Sandy relief. It is unconscionable!

I would be willing to bet we have a new Speaker of the House come tomorrow.

Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, for the Average American, Taxes were NOT raised...the Temporary Tax BREAKS that were put in place to help the People, because of the Recession, were just allowed to expire! And that was one of the Concessions that had to be made by the Democrats, to get the Republicans to reach a Deal to save the Country's Economy, overall.
Read the Links that I've posted for the last 2 Days, at least, and you will understand what was done and why. There are many of them, that I've posted, to explain it all!
If you really want to understand it all, then you have to make an effort to find out and clicking on a SAFE Link and reading it, takes very little effort...when it affects your Life and your Income.
RS, It's best not to reply to anything coming out of Jackson TN.
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>RS, It's best not to reply to anything coming out of Jackson TN.
Thanks for reminding me, Dunlapian, I had forgotten...and you are right.
Hey

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

The government is not run like a corporation the government is run BY the corporation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 55,881 - 55,900 of123,802
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

85 Users are viewing the Greeneville Forum right now

Search the Greeneville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
SUMMERS TAYLOR for road superintendant 10 min dingleberry 20
Tenured teacher fired? (Jun '12) 15 min well 59
A Great Big Fck You 27 min _Word Woman_ 103
WEALTHY CONSERVATIVE work for mobile home vote 28 min The Quoter 18
Sheriff Burns should resign (Mar '12) 30 min wow 85
REPUBLICANS vote to keep female wages low 40 min The Quoter 16
IS God real? 52 min The Quoter 15
Greene County Clerk Race 2 hr harrieta 108
I love this forum because?????? 2 hr harrieta 220