Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61274 Jan 2, 2013
Sorry cornbread, but NO, it's not really anything to think about.
First of all, what "3 Senators" is it talking about on the Campaign Trail...the only one I know was Paul Ryan.
Second of all, how on earth would 50 Senators represent 369 Million People? Granted, they don't do a very good job of it now, but one Senator for a State the size of California???
As far as the Congressmen in the House, I've never fully understood how they arrive at that number for each State or how they determine the districts they are to represent, since they seem to be able to change that , at will, with redistricting. It's supposed to be determined by the Population in a specific area, but like I said, that doesn't go along with the "redistricting" to win a Political advantage, so it's become "Greek" to me.
Plus, there are so many other "Perks" that members of Congress (both Houses) enjoy , that costs more in total than anything that was mentioned, but...it's the Members of congress that would have to vote to cut some or all of them out...and they will NOT do that!
So, somebody with very little knowledge of Gov't. spent alot of time thinking up these things, that either CANNOT be done for practical reasons and we would be worse off, if they were, or...WILL NOT be done because the Only Ones that can do them, are the ONLY Ones that will be affected affected by them...and therefore, that just will NOT EVER happen!
I've said it before and I'll say it again because the Tea Party Members in particular, simply can NOT understand it or comprehend it...the Federal Gov't. IS NOT run like a Corporation! A Corporation is not responsible for the Lives of 369 million People, if they no longer work for it...the Federal Gov't. is...as defined by our Constitution!
Comparing the way a Corporation is run and the way our Federal is run, is like comparing a Toy Car to an Abrams Tank...there is no legitimate comparison, PERIOD!
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#61275 Jan 2, 2013
It will never happen Sassy,that is true enough.

A man can dream can't he?
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

#61276 Jan 2, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
Sorry cornbread, but NO, it's not really anything to think about.
First of all, what "3 Senators" is it talking about on the Campaign Trail...the only one I know was Paul Ryan.
Second of all, how on earth would 50 Senators represent 369 Million People? Granted, they don't do a very good job of it now, but one Senator for a State the size of California???
As far as the Congressmen in the House, I've never fully understood how they arrive at that number for each State or how they determine the districts they are to represent, since they seem to be able to change that , at will, with redistricting. It's supposed to be determined by the Population in a specific area, but like I said, that doesn't go along with the "redistricting" to win a Political advantage, so it's become "Greek" to me.
Plus, there are so many other "Perks" that members of Congress (both Houses) enjoy , that costs more in total than anything that was mentioned, but...it's the Members of congress that would have to vote to cut some or all of them out...and they will NOT do that!
So, somebody with very little knowledge of Gov't. spent alot of time thinking up these things, that either CANNOT be done for practical reasons and we would be worse off, if they were, or...WILL NOT be done because the Only Ones that can do them, are the ONLY Ones that will be affected affected by them...and therefore, that just will NOT EVER happen!
I've said it before and I'll say it again because the Tea Party Members in particular, simply can NOT understand it or comprehend it...the Federal Gov't. IS NOT run like a Corporation! A Corporation is not responsible for the Lives of 369 million People, if they no longer work for it...the Federal Gov't. is...as defined by our Constitution!
Comparing the way a Corporation is run and the way our Federal is run, is like comparing a Toy Car to an Abrams Tank...there is no legitimate comparison, PERIOD!
As far as Senators on the campaign trail, Scott Brown comes to mind. Paul Ryan is Congress.
really

Jackson, TN

#61277 Jan 2, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>This GOP controlled House is the worst, they can't even pass a bill(that the Senate already approved of), for the victims of Super Storm Sandy. So now they will have to wait until the new term comes in. The Republican Leadership has no capacity to lead!
Well your dumbass lying Prez said no tax increase for middle income families and guess what he did. What to vote for a lying POS like him. you are a dumbass for voting for that jackass
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#61278 Jan 2, 2013
After thinking some on your query...

It would be possible to have a 1 Senator representation in most states.
Local community aldermen speak with people from their districts. They take those problems, ideas, and such, to City governments. They listen to their constituents proposals. Then, a representative of those local governments reports to the Higher ups in each State. Issues are debated. Then those results are presented to a Senator, who then takes it to Washington to be heard and debated. And so on, and so forth.
The chain of command.
Technically, it is feasible.
Personally.. I always thought that is the way government was suppose to work anyway.

I could give Calif. 3 and Texas 2 Senators .:)

Don't take me to seriously tonight . I'm in a good mood :P
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61279 Jan 2, 2013
Where I live, the City Aldermen are assigned to Depts. in the City Gov't. and that is what they deal with and oversee. If it is not their Dept., such as the Water Dept., they will refer all complaints to the Alderman who is assigned to the City Water Dept., as an example.
So, each Municipality even in the same State, must have the option of setting up their Local Gov't. as they see fit.
Also, referring to the "3 Senators for CA. and 2 Senators for Texas"...what happens if there is a mass Exodus of Residents from CA to TX? Then, CA would be Over-Represented and TX would be Under-Represented for, at least, the remainder of the Senators Terms...and maybe longer, if the fluctation in the number of Residents in the different States was not known or calculated...and that cost money to keep doing over and over consistently.
The System we have isn't perfect, but it seems to me that it is the best we can do, for the money and Equal Representation Fairness, and I'm sure we would have changed it all before now, if anybody could have thought of a legitimate way to make it better, keeping the Representation Fairness and Cost, in mind.
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61280 Jan 2, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>Well your dumbass lying Prez said no tax increase for middle income families and guess what he did. What to vote for a lying POS like him. you are a dumbass for voting for that jackass
No, for the Average American, Taxes were NOT raised...the Temporary Tax BREAKS that were put in place to help the People, because of the Recession, were just allowed to expire! And that was one of the Concessions that had to be made by the Democrats, to get the Republicans to reach a Deal to save the Country's Economy, overall.
Read the Links that I've posted for the last 2 Days, at least, and you will understand what was done and why. There are many of them, that I've posted, to explain it all!
If you really want to understand it all, then you have to make an effort to find out and clicking on a SAFE Link and reading it, takes very little effort...when it affects your Life and your Income.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#61281 Jan 2, 2013
However, if they followed the corporate model, the savings from "downsizing" the labor element would simply go back to the executives.
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#61282 Jan 2, 2013
I don't agree that it is the best we can do. But it is what it is, and not likely to change in my lifetime.
<change of subject>

I find it hard to swallow that we can send Trillions of dollars to nations all over the world. Adding to the American taxpayers woes.
While we ignore the basic needs of our own.
Heartless, was the Republicans side step on Sandy relief. It is unconscionable!

I would be willing to bet we have a new Speaker of the House come tomorrow.

Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#61283 Jan 2, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, for the Average American, Taxes were NOT raised...the Temporary Tax BREAKS that were put in place to help the People, because of the Recession, were just allowed to expire! And that was one of the Concessions that had to be made by the Democrats, to get the Republicans to reach a Deal to save the Country's Economy, overall.
Read the Links that I've posted for the last 2 Days, at least, and you will understand what was done and why. There are many of them, that I've posted, to explain it all!
If you really want to understand it all, then you have to make an effort to find out and clicking on a SAFE Link and reading it, takes very little effort...when it affects your Life and your Income.
RS, It's best not to reply to anything coming out of Jackson TN.
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61284 Jan 2, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>RS, It's best not to reply to anything coming out of Jackson TN.
Thanks for reminding me, Dunlapian, I had forgotten...and you are right.
Hey

Manchester, TN

#61285 Jan 2, 2013
The government is not run like a corporation the government is run BY the corporation.
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61288 Jan 2, 2013
Cornbread wrote:
I don't agree that it is the best we can do. But it is what it is, and not likely to change in my lifetime.
<change of subject>
I find it hard to swallow that we can send Trillions of dollars to nations all over the world. Adding to the American taxpayers woes.
While we ignore the basic needs of our own.
Heartless, was the Republicans side step on Sandy relief. It is unconscionable!
I would be willing to bet we have a new Speaker of the House come tomorrow.
While I do agree with you overall...I do see the necessity of some of the Foreign Aid, if it keeps us out of War. But, as for the other, Charity should begin at Home and America and her Citizens should come first, IMO, also.
I would welcome a New Speaker, if it wouldn't be Eric Cantor or Paul Ryan...I can't remember which one would be in the running to replace Boehner, but there's not much differnece between the Two of them. One of those Two is about the only one that I can think of that would actually be worse than Boehner.
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61290 Jan 2, 2013
Hey wrote:
The government is not run like a corporation the government is run BY the corporation.
As much as it pains me to say it...I think that you are probably right! At least, it certainly appears that way and it has for many years.
Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61293 Jan 2, 2013
Unreal wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as Senators on the campaign trail, Scott Brown comes to mind. Paul Ryan is Congress.
You're right, Unreal...I was thinking about the Presidential Campaign. In our State, Corker ran for re-election, and won. As far as the Congressmen, I don't remember many if them because I didn't particularly want any of them. I thought overall, in this Country, it was a very "Poor Crop" to choose from, in the last election.
Hey

Manchester, TN

#61294 Jan 2, 2013
In 1951 Libya was thepores country in the world.
Before NATO invasion the Libyans enjoyed the highest standard of living in Africa,anead of Russia,Brazil and Saudia A.
In Libya homes are considered a human right.
The newly married receive $50,000.00 to buy a home.
Electricity is free for everyone.
Qaddafi vowed to house every Libyan even before his parents.
Health care is free for everyone and of high quality.
Before Qaddafi less then one fifth of people were literate after Qaddafi 85% literacy.
If Libyans cannot find the healthcare or education they need the Libyan govt.funds them to go abroad for what they do need.
All loans are intrest free by law.
If Libtans buy a car the govt.pays 50%
Price of gas $0.14.

Really Sassy

Big Sandy, TN

#61295 Jan 2, 2013
Have you noticed, in recent times, that when the Country isn't doing so well, nobody that is capable of "fixing it", will run for Office.

Not that long ago, it used to be the very opposite. If the Country wasn't doing so well, quite a few capable Candidates would run for every Office, because they thought they could do better and wanted to try and "fix it".

How times have changed and for the worse, IMO.
Very few People are Idealistic, anymore, and I think that's what we need...more Candidates with an idealist vision for this Country and a desire to make it happen, in all Political Offices, but especially in the Congress...and Selfish Greed is NOT Idealism!
Seymour

Knoxville, TN

#61296 Jan 2, 2013
Hey wrote:
In 1951 Libya was thepores country in the world.
Before NATO invasion the Libyans enjoyed the highest standard of living in Africa,anead of Russia,Brazil and Saudia A.
In Libya homes are considered a human right.
The newly married receive $50,000.00 to buy a home.
Electricity is free for everyone.
Qaddafi vowed to house every Libyan even before his parents.
Health care is free for everyone and of high quality.
Before Qaddafi less then one fifth of people were literate after Qaddafi 85% literacy.
If Libyans cannot find the healthcare or education they need the Libyan govt.funds them to go abroad for what they do need.
All loans are intrest free by law.
If Libtans buy a car the govt.pays 50%
Price of gas $0.14.
So what you are saying is we need to be more like Libya?
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

#61297 Jan 2, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
While I do agree with you overall...I do see the necessity of some of the Foreign Aid, if it keeps us out of War. But, as for the other, Charity should begin at Home and America and her Citizens should come first, IMO, also.
I would welcome a New Speaker, if it wouldn't be Eric Cantor or Paul Ryan...I can't remember which one would be in the running to replace Boehner, but there's not much differnece between the Two of them. One of those Two is about the only one that I can think of that would actually be worse than Boehner.
Some foreign aid is necessary, agreed, But this is just wrong. It has been over 2 months for these people. Why couldn't they take the sticking points (all the pork) and set it aside for a couple of days. Pass the aid package and get those people some relief. We treat refugees better. Bunch of morons.

As I understand it. To replace the Speaker there has to be a majority vote to oust. Then they chose another candidate among the other members. Then it has to go to the majority vote again to approve. It would be up to the members of the House as to whom would succeed him.
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

#61298 Jan 2, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, you are misinformed once again. Whatever you want to call it, a tax break expiring resulting in having to pay more taxes is basically a tax hike. And this one hit every American getting a paycheck. The dividend tax was also raised. Believe it or not, a lot of retirees have invested their retirement IRA's, Roth and various other retirement plans in stocks that don't produce a lot of capital appreciation but do have a good dividend yield. This dividend yield provides a steady income stream to the retirees like myself that compliments social security. I am not rich by any means and rely heavily on dividend income just to pay the mortgage. This tax hike hit the wealthy AND the middle class.

You can post all the links you want, but the result is still the same. Our economy is hurting, unemployment is high, we have a tremendous debt load and running a huge deficit and our government's answer to this was to raise taxes and add to the deficit. This action can only produce one result and it isn't good. You may feel better that the wealthy now have to pay more, but this action is not going to improve your life one bit. This only worsened a bad situation. This is what politics does. You like to blame those who oppose your way of thinking on Fox News, but I have never watched Fox News in my life and Fox News has no affect on the economy whatsoever. This is the same thing as saying "Dancing With The Stars" has an affect on our economy.

True, people are hurting. But the problem lies within our political process - democrat and republican. As long as both sides neglect to compromise, we will suffer until we eventually end up like Greece where we are forced to do something after it is too late. I don't think Fox News is keeping our politicians from acting on our behalf instead of theirs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is your favorite poem? 36 min Alex Nicole 102
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 43 min Bree_Z 5,518
DTR Cheating Spouses 45 min crystal 10
***** last post wins ***** 47 min Alex Nicole 540
Foreign Objects 51 min Pretend 2 B Normal 15
Hang 7 55 min Pretend 2 B Normal 13
Aggravated Statutory Rape in Greene County 1 hr happens daily 94
13 month old and two month old "unresponsive" a... 3 hr English Bob 13
your first love 3 hr outtabelton 132
Well, there went that one... Tue TROLL BUFFET 655