Greeneville, TN

#1 Feb 12, 2014
Ok, let the truth be known.
Let attorney Cook speak.
The cover up is no more.

New Allegations Surface Against Thompson During Ethics Meeting

Wednesday, February 12, 2014
by Jim Miller

Greene County Clerk David Thompson has admitted in a position paper filed to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that he had a relationship with three employees in his office, according to a statement from an attorney investigating allegations of impropriety by Thompson.

County attorney pro tem Suzanne Cook also reported on allegations of improper use of funds and the creation of fraudulent timesheets on behalf of the employees in exchange for sexual favors during a called meeting of the Greene County Ethics Committee Wednesday afternoon at the courthouse annex.

Thompson is facing an EEOC complaint that he sexually coerced and discriminated against a former employee of the County Clerk's Office, with statements of inappropriate behavior by Thompson made by five other women.

Attorney Cook had been retained by the Insurance Committee to investigate the claims made against Thompson in the filing with the EEOC, but she said during Wednesday's meeting that additional allegations were raised during her investigation. Cook said those allegations concern an improper relationship between an elected official and employees, misuse of government property and the granting of favors being traded for sex, including payment for time not worked and the fraudulent creation of time sheets.

Cook also said that a county-owned computer containing e-mails with inappropriate photos of the three women has been heavily encrypted to prevent access to the password for the computer. Cook said that multiple requests have been made to Thompson and county attorney Roger Woolsey since July to provide the password, and that she was told by another attorney that previously represented Thompson that the password would not be provided without a court order. Cook also said that during a closed session, Greene County Mayor Alan Broyles promised her that he would obtain the passwords himself, but failed to do so.

The meeting was called to address an ethics complaint by county commissioner Tim White regarding the allegations against Thompson. White said during the meeting that his goal was to see that the facts of the complaint were presented to allow members of the committee to determine how to proceed.

Committee chair Hilton Seay attempted to stop any discussion of the facts surrounding the allegations against Thompson, saying that the committee could not act without the authority of the Insurance Committee, and that this meeting was not the time and place for the facts to be presented.

The committee voted by a margin of 4 to 3 to allow Cook to speak before the committee, with yes votes from White, Jan Kiker, David Crum and Wade McAmis and no votes from Seay, Robert Bird and Phil King. Commissioner Rennie Hopson was absent and Thompson was recused from voting.

The committee then voted identically to recommend to the Greene County Commission that Cook be hired as attorney pro tem to represent the county in the matter.

Cook's comments before the committee were part of a report that was filed yesterday with the State Comptroller of the Treasury.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#2 Feb 12, 2014
Wow! Seeing something posted to the public from EEOC(which I thought would be a confidential document) sure would make me want to go public if I was a woman being harrassed. Yuck!
notfromaroundher e1997

San Jose, CA

#3 Feb 12, 2014
Who is Jim Miller? How would anyone like me know if this is gossip, wishful thinking, or what?

Location hidden

#5 Feb 12, 2014
Must be someone (in the know) cos' you would have thought this would have been on the local news. Greene County gossip maybe..Just give it a few days and those Dems will find someone else to pick on.LOL
Sarah

Charlotte, NC

#6 Feb 12, 2014
cretin56 wrote:
Must be someone (in the know) cos' you would have thought this would have been on the local news. Greene County gossip maybe..Just give it a few days and those Dems will find someone else to pick on.LOL
your so stupid. Just because we know your sheriff is a crook and a few of the republicans are too. David is a sick man that needs help. I am a conservative I vote for who's right. However people like you vote straight down the ticket. You put people in office that need to be in jail not running it. All I ask is you do your homework. Go to a county commissioners meeting. You will find out that democrats and republicans are both good at liying.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 12, 2014
Who cares..this crap is everywhere, in every county ,state ,etc. Let the voters decide. Never know what the truth is anymore in the reporting anywhere.

Location hidden

#8 Feb 12, 2014
Sorry , you misunderstand me and cannot spell for crap. The only sheriff "I" have any knowledge of is Peyton Manning! The rest of them are definitely crooked. Couldn't place ownership on any one of them.
Big Art

Greeneville, TN

#10 Feb 12, 2014
Dan wrote:
Who gives a shat if he screwed michelle fillers, Carrie King and Traci Simon?
Maybe I should care if he altered their time cards, sent illicit e-mails to females while on the job, harassed people in the workplace, etc
If he did this on his own time, then no big deal.
When I'm paying him to do his job, it's my business.
Let the truth be known.
N Carcerate

Greeneville, TN

#11 Feb 12, 2014
Dan wrote:
Who gives a shat if he screwed michelle fillers, Carrie King and Traci Simon?
I assume that you have no problem with an elected official using the taxpayers' money ( falsifying time sheets and paying employees for work not done) to trade for sex with those employees. You miss the point big time. He is accused of using your money to get sex. Let him use his own money if he needs to get laid that bad.
more to come

Greeneville, TN

#12 Feb 12, 2014
Rumor more to come but not about this office. What is happening in this town?
so does white

Greeneville, TN

#13 Feb 12, 2014
N Carcerate wrote:
<quoted text>I assume that you have no problem with an elected official using the taxpayers' money ( falsifying time sheets and paying employees for work not done) to trade for sex with those employees. You miss the point big time. He is accused of using your money to get sex. Let him use his own money if he needs to get laid that bad.
Tim White's company used the school system money (tax payers) and he raised our taxes -- such a calculated wrongdoing and he sits in judgment of any one????? Thompson needs to go if guilty but sooooooooooooooo does WHITE!!!!
Friend

Greeneville, TN

#14 Feb 12, 2014
more to come wrote:
Rumor more to come but not about this office. What is happening in this town?
let's get it right this is a county government employee not a city employee so it's a county problem not a town problem.
N Carcerate

Greeneville, TN

#15 Feb 12, 2014
so does white wrote:
<quoted text>
Tim White's company used the school system money (tax payers) and he raised our taxes -- such a calculated wrongdoing and he sits in judgment of any one????? Thompson needs to go if guilty but sooooooooooooooo does WHITE!!!!
Fine with me.
Friend

Greeneville, TN

#16 Feb 12, 2014
so does white wrote:
<quoted text>
not a Tim White fan but he saved the county money. His bid to do school work was lower than other bids taken. He also was found to have broke no laws. Thompson if these allegations are true and I'm not saying they are will be prosecuted and the county will pay out for lawsuits. This to me is a big difference.
mafia grouping

Greeneville, TN

#18 Feb 12, 2014
Local wrote:
<quoted text>Ho Hum, Ho Hum, the Local Mafia just doing what they always have done and will always do. Remember folks the locals voted Hawk back in knowing he was dirty. If given a chance they will vote Thompson back in. This isn't the beautiful little community the Greeneville Sun likes to portray, this is MAFIA HELL.
Can't leave Tim White out of the mafia hell group. If you do it just means your democrat roots are showing.
mafia grouping

Greeneville, TN

#19 Feb 12, 2014
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>not a Tim White fan but he saved the county money. His bid to do school work was lower than other bids taken. He also was found to have broke no laws. Thompson if these allegations are true and I'm not saying they are will be prosecuted and the county will pay out for lawsuits. This to me is a big difference.
Funny how democrats think we believe their BS! So funny and sick.
Friend

Greeneville, TN

#20 Feb 12, 2014
mafia grouping wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how democrats think we believe their BS! So funny and sick.
first of all I'm a republican and voted for both Thompson and Burns so get off your republican horse thinking your better than others or democrats. That's this counties problem each party would elect a chimpanzee before actually voting for the best candidate regardless of party. My point is simple both of these guys is going to cost the county money in lawsuits which in turn cost the tax payers as neither will be paying for them out of their pocket. We have 11 lawsuits over the jail issue paid off a couple for the Robbie Morgan issue and now these women will be lined up to go after the county over Thompson. I don't see the county being sued over Tim White doing work. Broyles went after White like crazy over ethics but has ran and hid about this deal now. I wonder why? Oh yea I know because Tim White is a democrat and the other two are republicans. All White did was take advantage of a Karma when it came back around.
big boy britches

Greeneville, TN

#21 Feb 12, 2014
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>first of all I'm a republican and voted for both Thompson and Burns so get off your republican horse thinking your better than others or democrats. That's this counties problem each party would elect a chimpanzee before actually voting for the best candidate regardless of party. My point is simple both of these guys is going to cost the county money in lawsuits which in turn cost the tax payers as neither will be paying for them out of their pocket. We have 11 lawsuits over the jail issue paid off a couple for the Robbie Morgan issue and now these women will be lined up to go after the county over Thompson. I don't see the county being sued over Tim White doing work. Broyles went after White like crazy over ethics but has ran and hid about this deal now. I wonder why? Oh yea I know because Tim White is a democrat and the other two are republicans. All White did was take advantage of a Karma when it came back around.
Hate to burst your bubble but is White pure as the driven snow? Yokley, Crum and so many men have trouble with their big boy britches some times.
D tactics

Elizabethton, TN

#22 Feb 12, 2014
This is the tactic D's always use.... If they do something wrong- it's expected, that's the way they do business or even if it's wrong, it's for the people., they NEVER are expected to or do resign.... If a R. is accused of doing something wrong it's awful and they should resign because they're held to a higher standard. Wrong is wrong on both sides. Just tired of the double standard. People aren't stupid.
The Clerk

Greeneville, TN

#23 Feb 13, 2014
notfromaroundhere1997 wrote:
Who is Jim Miller? How would anyone like me know if this is gossip, wishful thinking, or what?
Well......not from around here, you can read all about it on www.greeneville.com . That is the local radio station website. Very good by the way. Just click on the local news tab and read. Then, there is the www.GreenevilleSun.com website. Again click on local news. However, for further details, see and read the Greeneville Sun. Hope that helps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Property Tax Increase 1 hr Justice 60
Miguel Johnson 1 hr Curious 1
And they ALL disappear. 1 hr Ivanka 7
Cat impaled..Gville sun photo 2 hr Jimmy McGill 3
Lee Jennings 2 hr just a old friend 7
Running for Clerk 2 hr Hey 2
Speeding Tickets: Safety or Revenue 2 hr Justice 14
Who has the best shot to beat Hankins? 2 hr Justice 16
robin quillen leaves meeting 5 hr Voter 37
New Water Park! Waste of Tax Dollars! 6 hr Wear a Helmet 41