First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Barry Zuckerkorn

Elizabethton, TN

#1 Apr 8, 2010
Since this subject got a lot of discussion on the Limburg thread, let's start a topic on just the subject of the pot plane.

Seems like it was probably late 70's, if my memory serves me correctly. Can't remember much of the details except that I remember the Weems' name. Seems that it was a very large plane that came in at night, without it's lights on?

Who can remember the details?
Topic Guru

Hendersonville, TN

#2 Apr 8, 2010
I remember this. I was probably 15. I was reading the other thread and saw that PeeWee West was mentioned. I also want to know what his role was. I remember that he went to jail, but can't remember what he did. All of the others seem like a good combination, but I just can't figure out his role. Didn't he drive a bread truck or something?

This was really a big, shocking story for Greeneville at that time!!!
Bobby

Gallatin, TN

#3 Apr 8, 2010
The plane had its numbers scratched off and was full of cocaine, it was sitting at the airport and no one claimed it. Millions of dollars of drugs too…
Bobby

Gallatin, TN

#4 Apr 8, 2010
A man was sitting in his car behind his home when someone seemed to have shot him in his head from outside his car window. Not sure if it was part of this but it was around the same time period.
Sad

Gallatin, TN

#5 Apr 8, 2010
Was the home on West Main Street?
Kim

Hendersonville, TN

#6 Apr 8, 2010
Bobby wrote:
A man was sitting in his car behind his home when someone seemed to have shot him in his head from outside his car window. Not sure if it was part of this but it was around the same time period.
Yes, it was Bird, right? That was crazy, mad. His family still tries to get LE to pursue that case I've heard.
Dingle Nutz

Hendersonville, TN

#7 Apr 8, 2010
How about it TruthTeller? Tell us the story as you know it. I remember being about 14 at the time and with my dad when the police had the marijuana transported east on the bypass in multiple dump trucks. I still recall those trucks with pot sticking up out of their cargo areas. It was a surreal sight.
Tom

Johnson City, TN

#8 Apr 8, 2010
Bobby wrote:
This happened 20 years before Bobby Bird died. btw
How funny

Johnson City, TN

#9 Apr 8, 2010
Dingle Nutz wrote:
How about it TruthTeller? Tell us the story as you know it. I remember being about 14 at the time and with my dad when the police had the marijuana transported east on the bypass in multiple dump trucks. I still recall those trucks with pot sticking up out of their cargo areas. It was a surreal sight.
LOL----None of you know what you are talking about. This is so funny.
Tom

Johnson City, TN

#10 Apr 8, 2010
Bobby wrote:
The plane had its numbers scratched off and was full of cocaine, it was sitting at the airport and no one claimed it. Millions of dollars of drugs too…
It was not cocaine. it was a pot plane.
Dingle Nutz

Waterloo, Canada

#11 Apr 8, 2010
Of course we don't know, as we were kids at the time.
How funny

Johnson City, TN

#12 Apr 8, 2010
Dingle Nutz wrote:
Of course we don't know, as we were kids at the time.
Well are you just making it up as you go then?
TruthTeller

Madison, TN

#13 Apr 8, 2010
OK,folks.If the plane had been carrying cocaine, the money value could have purchased France,Germany, and Italy combined.It was an old DC3 that had BALES of pot on board,not coke. Hell,we're around the time frame of 1980-83.Coke did not really catch on until places like Studio 54 in NYC became powder havens,and snow became the drug of choice[for those who could afford it,that is.] Also,Lloyd[PeeWee] West had nothing to do with the pot plane, as he and his cronies{Fortner,et al.} were busted years later in a different case.Young Bobby Bird died 20 or 25 years later. I remember that the pilot of the pot plane was from Florida,and was arrested.Forget what happened later.Even the TruthTeller has lapses. So,to piss everyone off,I will give you my off-topic tidbit.Since you mention young Mr.Bird and his untimely death reminds me of how former GPD Chief Hugh Wells"retired", so to speak.Tommy Love was mayor,but actually R.C.Bird,Jr.[the Greeneville Mafia] was the mayor,since Tommy always took his orders from R.C. Seems that young Bobby was picked up and put in jail by the GPD, and Tommy Love called up Hugh Wells and told him to turn young Bobby loose.Of course,the mayor was acting on orders from R.C., who wanted his druggie son to be given a pass one more time by the police. Hugh Wells refused to obey the mayor,the mayor came to the police station,demanded the keys,and let young Bobby out.Wells "retired" shortly after, that his how Kenneth Rollins became the next police chief.Just ask any old time retired GPD officers like Charlie Frank Kinser,Gilbert Burger, or even Red Barham.. They probably won't tell you the real reason,but they know why Hugh quit.Sorry I got off topic,but it is all true.Ask around.The TruthTeller has spoken[and probably pissed some of you off]
ShakeIt

Murfreesboro, TN

#14 Apr 8, 2010
Are their any archives of this "pot plane"?
Off Beat

Johnson City, TN

#15 Apr 8, 2010
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
This happened 20 years before Bobby Bird died. btw
The pot plane was long before young Bobby Bird was found dead in his driveway. His dad was still callin' the shots in Greeneville around the pot plane era.
tag it too

United States

#16 Apr 8, 2010
The Greeneville Sun had pretty accurate information on what they knew. Of course, more to the stories that didn't get told. Lots of people got protected. It's Greeneville!!!!
Off Beat

Johnson City, TN

#17 Apr 8, 2010
Off Beat wrote:
<quoted text>
The pot plane was long before young Bobby Bird was found dead in his driveway. His dad was still callin' the shots in Greeneville around the pot plane era.
That is another instance of the good ole boys controlling Greeneville. Reminds me of the "group" trying to get in control now!!
Snuffy

Madison, TN

#18 Apr 8, 2010
thanks,truthteller for the Hugh Wells GPD info..have heard the same story about him quitting over a run in with Love and RC Bird over his delinquent of a son.now we know the "rest of the story."
Ha ha

Fort Campbell, TN

#19 Apr 8, 2010
I LOVE the Truth Teller!
Rodney

Fort Campbell, TN

#20 Apr 8, 2010
arent a lot of well to do "new money" people of today the beneficieries of this perticular plane? or is that a different bust?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baileyton NEWS.. (ihop) 4 min Jenny palmer 86
People that are going around robbing people? 10 min Truth 1
Dogs in grocery stores.. 16 min In the know 18
Illegal dreamers 28 min Fog Horn Leghorn 1
Some new Trump numbers 38 min Fog Horn Leghorn 78
Who knows TJ Norton? (Sep '11) 49 min The Milkman 27
S-hole party 49 min STFU 31

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance