Jehovah's Witness...religion or cult?

Jehovah's Witness...religion or cult?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
would like to know

Sparta, TN

#1 Jan 2, 2011
seems they lead a life of their own. Why are they so bizarre in their beliefs and even how they act around others? It's like total dysfunction for their faith.
its a cult

United States

#2 Jan 2, 2011
would like to know wrote:
seems they lead a life of their own. Why are they so bizarre in their beliefs and even how they act around others? It's like total dysfunction for their faith.
I used to be a JW for 17yrs. Not anymore. They are a cult period. They cut u off from friends & family. They destroyed my life. Don't let them destroy yours.
Interprid

Mosheim, TN

#3 Jan 2, 2011
Cult totally.
wow

United States

#4 Jan 2, 2011
I feel that all religions have cult like tendencies. What bothers me the most is the very close friends and family that I have that are "God Fearing Christians" have their minds so tightly shut off to anyone who doesn't have their exact beliefs that it's like they are brainwashed. I practice Christianity and was raised in a Non-Denominational church, however I do not attend like I should. But passing judgement on someone for their beliefs is hypocritical, which is why I do not participate in organized religion, the brainwashed and hypocrits. Who wants to sit in church beside the biggest gossip, tramp, etc. who acts holier than thou until you catch em out on the street?

I know a few JW's that are very nice caring people, they know my religious faith and do not try to push theirs off on me. Now, the pushy heffers that come knocking on my door or just walk on in have got to go. You don't see Christians doing that.
Enlightened

Fort Campbell, TN

#5 Jan 2, 2011
I was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness from the age of 5 up until I was 22. Growing up, it was only too obvious that my family was a lot different than my classmates. It was only after I began working that I realized that this religion wasn't healthy. My parents are fanatical Jehovah Witnesses--if you don't do it their way, they cut you off and ignore you. I have been cut off from my family as a result of saying NO to the so called 'truth' they offer. They could never accept that I had the strength to walk away. As a Witness you are programmed. And if the program fails they cut you off. The truth is, they've allowed many children and women to suffer abuse at the hands of their father/husband. Women are second class in their eyes. If you dare to divorce your husband, even if he's been abusing his wife, you will be disfellowshipped. If you dare to go on a date with someone outside of this religion, you will be disfellowshipped,if you accept a blood transfusion, you will be disfellowshipped, if you visit another church with a friend, you will be disfellowshipped, if you go to a funeral where there's a preacher conducting, you will be disfellowshipped. If you even question the religion, you will be disfellowshipped. I'm disfellowshipped because I quit going to the meetings, married an "outsider" and visited his church. When I first began dating my husband, the elders constantly called me to tell how sinful I was. Well, it's been ten years and I'm happier than I've ever been. I'm married with a 4 year old son and have a full time job. My family has nothing to do with me or my son. If I call them, they are very short with me and are off the phone within a minute. If I see them out, they will turn and walk away from me and my child. Yes, it hurts and always will, but I try not to let it get me down. I know they would want nothing more than for me to hurt so badly, that I would give up my life and come back into their cult... It's not going to happen!
Crazy

Denver, NC

#6 Jan 2, 2011
Sounds like a 'Cult' to me. I work with a couple of girls that are JW's. One is pretty cool and doesn't mind to chat about it; don't think she's hardcore, the other must be in it deep and is quick to cut you off. They don't celebrate Christmas or birthdays. Sounds screwed up,.......sorry. Besides have you saw their buildings, no windows......?
billy hill

Gallatin, TN

#7 Jan 2, 2011
plus they all seem to be queers.no wait thats mormons
luke

United States

#8 Jan 3, 2011
Enlightened wrote:
I was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness from the age of 5 up until I was 22. Growing up, it was only too obvious that my family was a lot different than my classmates. It was only after I began working that I realized that this religion wasn't healthy. My parents are fanatical Jehovah Witnesses--if you don't do it their way, they cut you off and ignore you. I have been cut off from my family as a result of saying NO to the so called 'truth' they offer. They could never accept that I had the strength to walk away. As a Witness you are programmed. And if the program fails they cut you off. The truth is, they've allowed many children and women to suffer abuse at the hands of their father/husband. Women are second class in their eyes. If you dare to divorce your husband, even if he's been abusing his wife, you will be disfellowshipped. If you dare to go on a date with someone outside of this religion, you will be disfellowshipped,if you accept a blood transfusion, you will be disfellowshipped, if you visit another church with a friend, you will be disfellowshipped, if you go to a funeral where there's a preacher conducting, you will be disfellowshipped. If you even question the religion, you will be disfellowshipped. I'm disfellowshipped because I quit going to the meetings, married an "outsider" and visited his church. When I first began dating my husband, the elders constantly called me to tell how sinful I was. Well, it's been ten years and I'm happier than I've ever been. I'm married with a 4 year old son and have a full time job. My family has nothing to do with me or my son. If I call them, they are very short with me and are off the phone within a minute. If I see them out, they will turn and walk away from me and my child. Yes, it hurts and always will, but I try not to let it get me down. I know they would want nothing more than for me to hurt so badly, that I would give up my life and come back into their cult... It's not going to happen!
if this is my cousin tiara then get ahold of me, funny to see u in this situation like the rest of the family. jw was introduced to our grand parents in the 60's and wtf we're good ppl but we was before jw lol anyway six seven six 0753
Enlightened

Fort Campbell, TN

#9 Jan 3, 2011
luke wrote:
<quoted text> if this is my cousin tiara then get ahold of me, funny to see u in this situation like the rest of the family. jw was introduced to our grand parents in the 60's and wtf we're good ppl but we was before jw lol anyway six seven six 0753
I'm sorry, but I'm not Tiara. I hope you find her. Good Luck!
Anonymous

United States

#10 Jan 3, 2011
JW ruined my best friends relationship, cult or not I don't know. I just know it ruins lives of the people around me
greystone girl

Fort Campbell, TN

#11 Jan 3, 2011
cult...
DB Cooper

Nashville, TN

#12 Jan 3, 2011
Cult! So are seventh day adventists! jehovahs deny Jesus is the true Messiah while adventists are busy praising ellen white and trying to convince the world they are worshipping on the wrong day. Don't accept their literature - that's their main goal along with getting inside your house. Don't try to minister to them because they have been schooled on what points you will argue and have prepared their rebuttal accordingly. Avoid all contact with these nutjobs.
Someone special

United States

#13 Jan 3, 2011
My father was conned into this cult about 20 years ago. He has been one of the ones knocking on doors. It is a cult. They have brainwashed him into thinking that only a certain number of people are going to the "New Kingdom". As a child, I was forced (by him) to attend his "church" (I am a Christian). Wow, what a weird place to be. They publish their own bible, hymnal, etc and it is conveniently for sale in the church. I hated it there. He used to try to "preach" to us as kids but then we started giving it right back to him. Try being a kid who always celebrated holidays with Daddy and then one day he won't even tell you happy birthday.
I once had a JW knock on my door. He was very pushy and I was very polite and told him I wasn't interested. He started yelling a bunch of stuff and stuck his foot in the door and tried to push his way in. Wrong idea! He won't be back!:) Just start preaching back; they will leave.
pudding

Clairton, PA

#14 Jan 3, 2011
seems like all religions fit your description.
would like to know wrote:
seems they lead a life of their own. Why are they so bizarre in their beliefs and even how they act around others? It's like total dysfunction for their faith.
Im not a Witness

Antioch, TN

#15 Jan 3, 2011
would like to know wrote:
seems they lead a life of their own. Why are they so bizarre in their beliefs and even how they act around others? It's like total dysfunction for their faith.
ok i am not a Jehovah Witness, but i know people that are, they are not judgemental at all!!! yea, they believe alot differently then what some other christians believe, but thats one thing they got on other christians, they don't judge.

Thats pretty cool to me, i know they don't celebrate any holiday that i am aware of, becuz they don't believe in supporting something that is man made and all about taking money. They don't vote cuz they don't believe one man can run the country, they don't support to the war, they bcuz they don't believe "Jehovah" wants to harm other humans in any way wether its defense or not.

So actually if u think about it. They are more human then any other religion, they do care about mankind as a whole!!! i think its pretty amazing.

P.S. Also? a true Jehovah Witness will not respond to this trash.
its a cult

Charlotte, NC

#16 Jan 3, 2011
Im not a Witness wrote:
<quoted text>
ok i am not a Jehovah Witness, but i know people that are, they are not judgemental at all!!! yea, they believe alot differently then what some other christians believe, but thats one thing they got on other christians, they don't judge.
Thats pretty cool to me, i know they don't celebrate any holiday that i am aware of, becuz they don't believe in supporting something that is man made and all about taking money. They don't vote cuz they don't believe one man can run the country, they don't support to the war, they bcuz they don't believe "Jehovah" wants to harm other humans in any way wether its defense or not.
So actually if u think about it. They are more human then any other religion, they do care about mankind as a whole!!! i think its pretty amazing.
P.S. Also? a true Jehovah Witness will not respond to this trash.
Listen, you don't know what your talkin about until you've spend yrs as a JW. Im only trying to warn you. The choice you make is yours. It all looks good & *amazing* upfront. They don't follow the government because they follow those voted in elders at the place they call bethel located in NY I believe. Do some research on origin of JWs. You know, the ones they call *the society*. They aren't judgmental at all to new comers sure. But follow them for a while and become baptized as one. Things will change so fast your head will spin. Youll be expected to devote all your time & money to them (the society). Sure most live poor, honey its because they are against a higher education. Ask your JW friends about it and listen very closely. You want your kids to be a doctor? nurse? attorney someday? well you can forget that if your in that religion. They frown upon it. Most of the older women in the congregation are sweet hearted & mean well. But I promise you this. Once you are baptized as a JW, they'll expect you to cut off your *worldly* family & friends. If you mess up one time in their eyes, they will disfellowship you. Disfellowship as in they don't look at you or speak to you. In order to be reinstated you must go to all the meetings while being shunned. Cut off from EVERYONE. I myself have never been disfellowshiped. I just left when I started realizing things weren't making sense. All that help they want to give you now, they'll turn their back on you as soon as an elder orders it done. Most of my family were full time JWs. It tore us apart. My father disfellowshiped for attempted suicide. That ain't right. I wasnt allowed to make friends at school. only JW friends. I could go on but I get severely depressed just talking about it. Im not out to bash, im concerned is all. If youve only been thru what I've been thru, you'd completely understand.
wierd

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jan 3, 2011
Well idk much about them but they have always seemed weird to me. From what I hear you can't visit/attend their church until you have been taken in, how strange is that. I do have to say they are some witnessing people tho, just to bad that they don't seem to be witnessing the true message of Christ. Just think if we went out and witnessed the the true message of Christ what an impact we could make on our community.

I do know of several instances where they have preyed on elderly that live home alone and have messed with their beliefs/thoughts.
Interprid

United States

#18 Jan 4, 2011
Frankly, when I see either the Mormons OR JW's come by the house, I open my door and let my wolfhounds run outside...they see these big dogs come running out and they won't attempt to get into the yard.
Enlightened

Fort Campbell, TN

#19 Jan 4, 2011
Im not a Witness wrote:
<quoted text>
ok i am not a Jehovah Witness, but i know people that are, they are not judgemental at all!!! yea, they believe alot differently then what some other christians believe, but thats one thing they got on other christians, they don't judge.
Thats pretty cool to me, i know they don't celebrate any holiday that i am aware of, becuz they don't believe in supporting something that is man made and all about taking money. They don't vote cuz they don't believe one man can run the country, they don't support to the war, they bcuz they don't believe "Jehovah" wants to harm other humans in any way wether its defense or not.
So actually if u think about it. They are more human then any other religion, they do care about mankind as a whole!!! i think its pretty amazing.
P.S. Also? a true Jehovah Witness will not respond to this trash.
I lived the Jehovah's Witness life and they are the most judgmental people I've ever met. They even judge the way you dress. I once wore a dress to the Kingdom hall that was down to my knees, didn't show a bit of cleavage and was the correct size. I was taken into the Elder's room for a "talk" after the Sunday meeting because they felt that because it was a KNIT dress, it accentuated the shape of my breasts too much and that could cause a distraction for the men. Can you imagine how embarrassing this was for me? I was a 19 year old that had never even been on a date because unless I was willing to "court" someone from the Kingdom Hall, I wasn't allowed to date for fear of being disfellowshipped. This is just one of many examples of how judgmental they are.
Enlightened

Fort Campbell, TN

#20 Jan 4, 2011
its a cult wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen, you don't know what your talkin about until you've spend yrs as a JW. Im only trying to warn you. The choice you make is yours. It all looks good & *amazing* upfront. They don't follow the government because they follow those voted in elders at the place they call bethel located in NY I believe. Do some research on origin of JWs. You know, the ones they call *the society*. They aren't judgmental at all to new comers sure. But follow them for a while and become baptized as one. Things will change so fast your head will spin. Youll be expected to devote all your time & money to them (the society). Sure most live poor, honey its because they are against a higher education. Ask your JW friends about it and listen very closely. You want your kids to be a doctor? nurse? attorney someday? well you can forget that if your in that religion. They frown upon it. Most of the older women in the congregation are sweet hearted & mean well. But I promise you this. Once you are baptized as a JW, they'll expect you to cut off your *worldly* family & friends. If you mess up one time in their eyes, they will disfellowship you. Disfellowship as in they don't look at you or speak to you. In order to be reinstated you must go to all the meetings while being shunned. Cut off from EVERYONE. I myself have never been disfellowshiped. I just left when I started realizing things weren't making sense. All that help they want to give you now, they'll turn their back on you as soon as an elder orders it done. Most of my family were full time JWs. It tore us apart. My father disfellowshiped for attempted suicide. That ain't right. I wasnt allowed to make friends at school. only JW friends. I could go on but I get severely depressed just talking about it. Im not out to bash, im concerned is all. If youve only been thru what I've been thru, you'd completely understand.
You're exactly right. The Jehovah's Witnesses discourage any education past high school. I'm so glad my child will not be raised this way. If he wants to go to college, then guess what? He will! By the way, I think anyone that's a Jehovah's Witness, is thinking of becoming one, or was once one, should watch the movie "Worlds Apart". It show the Jehovah's Witness in a very accurate light. It has subtitles, but the movie is so good, you won't care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greene county high schools into one??? 12 min look ma no teef 66
New Inmate 22 min Bubba 16
AntiTrump FBI Agent fired over role in Clinton ... 34 min pattern of behavior 42
Fox hypocrisy 1 hr Feeling sad 5
Protect Your Kids -- Roy Darnell 1 hr silver streak 7
Let's BOYCOTT this Topix site! 1 hr Weirdo Bennett 12
meade tractor (Jul '11) 1 hr Darryl 24
Please help me..2 11 hr Dr Wu 21

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages