Who would vote to get rid of Sports i...
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
alicia

Brentwood, TN

#43 Aug 12, 2012
It comes down to budget cuts, and academics are much more important than sports. You might hate to hear it but it's true. Unless you are one of the very select few who get into collage with a sports scholarship, it's not going to help you as far as education goes, and unless you happen to be a professional athlete, playing football in high school is not going to help you get a job.

I could ask the same question about creative/artistic classes. Why would you cut them? Because either there isn't enough money, or people have their priorities confused.

That's something that irritates me, a lot of people interested in sports would cut out every music/art/photography program there is just to keep what they care about, or even worse, just so they can have extra things they don't need. But when it happens to them it's the worst thing ever.
parent

Murfreesboro, TN

#45 Aug 12, 2012
At my child's school it appears to me that the school does more to cater to the athletes, especially the ones who have a shot at getting that RARE athletic scholarship. Their class schedules are "tailored" for them, and they don't seem to have the same trouble getting the classes that "they need," etc.
The school officials seem less worried about the other students and their potential "academic" scholarships. Those students are pretty much on their own. These students find themselves battling to get into the rigorous classes they need. They are often forced to choose between taking MUSIC/BAND/ART classes and upper level science, math and ACT prep classes! For example, "you need to choose between physics or band because we don't offer it except for fourth period..." It seems that the "athletes" don't have that problem because the school course schedules seem to be catered to them.
parent

Murfreesboro, TN

#46 Aug 12, 2012
my two cents wrote:
If it means we could get rid of the incompetent, uncaring teachers that riddle the schools and put in place a more challenging curriculum, beginning in the 6-8th grades and continuing into high school – then I would be more than willing to give up sports!!! Compared to the rest of the nation, our students are so far behind here that they cannot even think about competing for prestigious scholarships or colleges. Most can barely make 20 on their ACT exams.(I'm talking about the majority here ... not the few who do manage on their own to do better on those exams.) This situation is because the curriculum is so far behind the times! For example, pre-algebra and algebra I should be standard middle school courses. High school English students shouldn't still be covering sentence structure (that should be covered in middle school). High schoolers should be focusing on literature and writing. My child recently had a high school English teacher who was making her class do crossword puzzles and word finds! ugh!! No wonder he was bored out of his mind!
This is SO true!!
keith

United States

#47 Aug 12, 2012
Sports wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you can transfer freely (without penalty) if your school doesn’t have a certain sport. That would seem to be a similar situation.
The city schools are pretty full already. more than likely there wont be room for alot to transfer, plus most of the teams already have full rosters.
Just Me

Atlanta, GA

#48 Aug 12, 2012
I think that school board should open their check book and the public see once and for all where this money is being spent.I believe ALL of us would be surprised.I believe Dr.Kirk should start cutting"FAT"at the top and cut out All those jobs that have been created on the buddy system.The county ppl would be surprised at the money that would be saved.I agree that Glenwood should be closed along with Westpines.I know westpines isn't on the chopping block,but it should be.I would like to know where the monies that are collected at the gate/door goes.What about the monies that are collected for parking when kids drive to school? What about the monies that are colleted from the county kids when they purchase their senior supplies?Those of you that don't know what I'm talking about,the school gets a kick back from the amount that you/your child spends on senior stuff.Also,let's not forget that Dr.Kirk has took two raises in the last 6months that school was opened.If she really cared about the students or budget why did she take those raises??She took those raises when she knew the budget was out of control.Yes,I know her raises don't come to 1.6 million dollars,but she keeps screaming lets make cuts.I say lets start with her.I'm sure some of you will disagree with me and that's ok.
theangryguy

Athens, TN

#50 Aug 12, 2012
heeler wrote:
Obviously none of these idiots posting about putting the axe to county sports have never attended a game. If u have did u not have to pay to attend?? Did they give u a drink an some popcorn?? Sports MAKE money!!!
For whom? It certainly doesn't make it for Greeneville or Greene County Schools. If so, they wouldn't be closing them or having any difficulties about the budget!!
Sportsfan100

Mount Pleasant, SC

#51 Aug 12, 2012
I think sports r fine if supported by booster clubs and fund raisers but not tax payers dollars.we need to keep in mind that school is for academics and not sports. There r plenty pf sports at the rec centers and the YMCA.
The Judge

Burns, TN

#53 Aug 12, 2012
I hope the school board is following topix.

“I've Always Been This Stupid”

Since: May 12

Greeneville TN

#54 Aug 12, 2012
theangryguy wrote:
<quoted text>
For whom? It certainly doesn't make it for Greeneville or Greene County Schools. If so, they wouldn't be closing them or having any difficulties about the budget!!
The sports themselves do not make enough money to keep the schools open. This is a situation whee the board did not have the forethought to plan for stimulus money ending. It does not matter what business you are in you do not come up to a fiscal year unaware that you are going to have a deficit. You also do not make drastic decisions (closing a school, canceling sports, etc) without trimming every bit of fat out of your budget. I don't have kids in the county school system but it is an embarrassment to Greene County that this is happening.
tell us why

Gallatin, TN

#55 Aug 12, 2012
Just Me wrote:
I think that school board should open their check book and the public see once and for all where this money is being spent.I believe ALL of us would be surprised.I believe Dr.Kirk should start cutting"FAT"at the top and cut out All those jobs that have been created on the buddy system.The county ppl would be surprised at the money that would be saved.I agree that Glenwood should be closed along with Westpines.I know westpines isn't on the chopping block,but it should be.I would like to know where the monies that are collected at the gate/door goes.What about the monies that are collected for parking when kids drive to school? What about the monies that are colleted from the county kids when they purchase their senior supplies?Those of you that don't know what I'm talking about,the school gets a kick back from the amount that you/your child spends on senior stuff.Also,let's not forget that Dr.Kirk has took two raises in the last 6months that school was opened.If she really cared about the students or budget why did she take those raises??She took those raises when she knew the budget was out of control.Yes,I know her raises don't come to 1.6 million dollars,but she keeps screaming lets make cuts.I say lets start with her.I'm sure some of you will disagree with me and that's ok.
Crapy how you just "slid" in there okay to close Glenwood and West Pines Schools. Why not go the other direction like toward Mosheim? Oh wait. That is where Kirk and Jones and Douthat live. We get it
Just Me

Ashburn, VA

#56 Aug 12, 2012
tell us why wrote:
<quoted text>
Crapy how you just "slid" in there okay to close Glenwood and West Pines Schools. Why not go the other direction like toward Mosheim? Oh wait. That is where Kirk and Jones and Douthat live. We get it
I'm not sure where you think I just "slid"close Glenwood&WestPines in there.If MMS was costing more money to keep it open than could be justified I would've said CLOSE IT DOWN ALSO.I believe that both Glenwood and WestPines have around 200 kids and cost more to operate when these kids could go to other schools.I'm not sure if you thought I was defending the ppl you listed above,but rest assured I WASN"T.If you would go back and read what I said you should be able to tell that I'm not impressed by DR.Kirk one bit.I didn't like Jones when he was at SGHS and my feelings about him are still the same.The other person you mentioned I have no clue who he/she is.The main thing to me is to justify the pay raises,the jobs created on the buddy system,where the monies go from gate/door fees,parking tags the students pay for and the kick backs from things sold to us the parents/community of Greene County.I would also like the"FAT"cut from the top.I believe if the county ppl could ask these questions and shown THE TRUTH alot of things would change.I feel like when we ask these questions they are followed with questions as if we are stupid and can't see what is going on.The ppl that are in charge will never admit they are wrong or that they have done anything wrong.
recall

Elizabethton, TN

#57 Aug 12, 2012
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sure where you think I just "slid"close Glenwood&WestPines in there.If MMS was costing more money to keep it open than could be justified I would've said CLOSE IT DOWN ALSO.I believe that both Glenwood and WestPines have around 200 kids and cost more to operate when these kids could go to other schools.I'm not sure if you thought I was defending the ppl you listed above,but rest assured I WASN"T.If you would go back and read what I said you should be able to tell that I'm not impressed by DR.Kirk one bit.I didn't like Jones when he was at SGHS and my feelings about him are still the same.The other person you mentioned I have no clue who he/she is.The main thing to me is to justify the pay raises,the jobs created on the buddy system,where the monies go from gate/door fees,parking tags the students pay for and the kick backs from things sold to us the parents/community of Greene County.I would also like the"FAT"cut from the top.I believe if the county ppl could ask these questions and shown THE TRUTH alot of things would change.I feel like when we ask these questions they are followed with questions as if we are stupid and can't see what is going on.The ppl that are in charge will never admit they are wrong or that they have done anything wrong.
I found out this week that Greene County gets around 7,640 dollars for each student. The person I talked to said someone had found out that Glenwood isn't costing more than is allowed for each child. So they aren't taking away from anyone else. Wonder if they've used their brain to think about moving some kids out of Mosheim, it's overcrowded. Send some of those kids to Glenwood. No, that would take too many brain cells for the board. They'd never think of that.......
softballfever

Clio, SC

#58 Aug 12, 2012
I am a county student and believe me when I say if they cut sports in county schools I will absolutely go to city schools to play ball .And can guarantee I would not be alone.

“I've Always Been This Stupid”

Since: May 12

Greeneville TN

#59 Aug 13, 2012
We all seem to be missing the next obvious question: if sports are cut or glenwood is closed what has that done to solve the mismanagement of funds? That is a quick answer that does nothing long term. How are they going to get their house in order to prevent this in the future?
jack

Brentwood, TN

#61 Aug 13, 2012
Stop the sports in the county schools and get rid of the entire school board for getting us in this mess.
hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Brentwood, TN

#63 Aug 13, 2012
softballfever wrote:
I am a county student and believe me when I say if they cut sports in county schools I will absolutely go to city schools to play ball .And can guarantee I would not be alone.
you say that now but just wait till you get out of school AND START working and see so much or your taxes coming out of your check, you will be saying you dont wont to pay for things that arent necessary either, just wait your day is coming, the way things are going you will give over half your pay to taxes
football

United States

#65 Aug 13, 2012
what happened with sports?
scrounger

Fort Campbell, TN

#67 Aug 14, 2012
tell us why wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah lets close mosheim and send 500 kids of those kids to glenwood.Oh but wait Glenwood dont want to have there kids in a large school.Glenwood could not accomidate 500 more kids and they would have to build on to have room for em.That would lead to them wantin moiney to build on.You folks really need to think before you post stuff on the internet,typical knee jerk reaction from people who cant see past whats right in front of them.You cant have it both ways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tell me more about this guy 10 min farmer 2
Easy women in Mosheim 18 min You should 29
Heather Dupree 20 min lol 2
How bad is Greeneville Recreation department. 1 hr Parent 7
B***ch for supervisor!! 1 hr Supervisor 7
Another cheating forum....... 1 hr Help 19
Favorite bar to go with yo friends 1 hr Carl Childers 47
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages