your not from around here?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
want to know

Franklin, TN

#1 May 11, 2011
This is the first place ever that I have lived were I am always asked you are not from around here are you? I would like a little insight on what is the big deal on asking me that? I guess I don't have the "southern twang" and have what you call the "news caster kind of voice" It just rather makes me feel uncomfortable to be asked that alot!
Mountain Dweller

Dunlap, TN

#2 May 11, 2011
want to know wrote:
This is the first place ever that I have lived were I am always asked you are not from around here are you? I would like a little insight on what is the big deal on asking me that? I guess I don't have the "southern twang" and have what you call the "news caster kind of voice" It just rather makes me feel uncomfortable to be asked that alot!
honestly its just somethin you're gonna have to get used to however, 9 times out of 10 people really don't mean anything by it
want to know

Franklin, TN

#3 May 11, 2011
But what is the reason for asking it?

“Read all about it!”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#4 May 11, 2011
I've been asked that many times, for example, when I have mentioned something here that didn't make sense and it was always accompanied by grins and the feeling that the joke is on the folks from Greeneville. lol
giggles

Abingdon, VA

#5 May 11, 2011
Wanttoknow: I assume people ask that because they are curious as to where you're from. Sounds like small-talk.

Friendofdog: Well, that sentence doesn't make any sense. I think the joke is on you.
Worthington

Clover, SC

#6 May 11, 2011
I get asked that too, and I've lived here all my life.
From A Norton

Richmond, VA

#7 May 11, 2011
i agree with giggles. they just makin small talk. maybe they would be interested in where you are actually from.
Do you think

Olathe, KS

#8 May 11, 2011
Usually the next sentence was: "you one of them ****ing yankees, ain't you?"
inquiring minds

United States

#9 May 11, 2011
I have lived here for 24 yrs. I am asked that alot...and find myself asking other people. Dont take it wrong, people are just curious.

“Read all about it!”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#10 May 11, 2011
giggles...local folks who ask me that question, accompany it by a big grin, ie. like the joke is on the folks from Greeneville for doing something a particular way, or saying something one way, etc. My post wasn't a put-down toward Greeneville at all or at least it wasn't meant to be that way.
metoo

Johnson City, TN

#11 May 11, 2011
I get asked that a lot as well, but I take it as a compliment.

Since: Jul 10

Church Hill

#12 May 11, 2011
I spent 6 years in the service. The "where ya from?" conversation is a very common small talk/ice breaker subject there too.
I guess if you're going to be working with somebody that length of time away from home it's good to talk about home. Keeps you sane sometimes.
well

Murfreesboro, TN

#13 May 11, 2011
It's usually all in the accent around H
here. People can just tell if you're not from here. It's nothing personal, everyones curious because Greeneville is just such a small town. Everybody knows a little something about everyone.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#14 May 11, 2011
I am not originally from here either. I have been asked that same question a million times. But now I also find myself asking it. I belief they are right, it is just small talk. I also ask it personally to see if I can recognize where they are from by the accent. It's nice to find another transplant for me.
Just saying

Elizabethton, TN

#15 May 12, 2011
Yes, to most it seems like small talk and for some it is. The truth is that people in Greeneville have been taught from birth to find out everything they can about everyone they meet and that way we don't marry our cousins.
Transplant

Jonesborough, TN

#16 May 13, 2011
Don't be fooled by this "innocent" question. It is truly loaded. That lack of twang in your voice runs the price up on any job quote you might be getting. Locals might ask it with a smile on their face, but the joke's really on you. It is also a sure sign that you won't get the job if you are looking for one.
I may sound bitter, but I speak from experience. The Greeneville crowd has good manners, but they are not open to outsiders settling here. They'll give you a wave as you drive by, but that's about all you are going to get in terms of friendly if you are not from here.
want to know wrote:
THEHIGHHORSEMAN

Madison, TN

#17 May 31, 2011
I JUST LIE TO THE OVERLY NOSY AND TELL THEM IM FROM JC OR SOME OTHER LOCAL TOWN.

“Laugh Every Day”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#18 May 31, 2011
want to know wrote:
Take it as a compliment..if you speak the king's english , you're an oddity.
Greenevillite

Lugoff, SC

#19 May 31, 2011
Well if you don't like it maybe you should pack it up and head back to where you came from I'm sure they won't ask you whether you're "from around here" or not
FromGreeneville

Johnson City, TN

#20 Jun 1, 2011
I have lived in Greeneville my entire life, but I've traveled to numerous other places in the US. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked, "where are you from" after making a brief statement to someone. Or, they occasionally try to guess that I'm from Texas or Tennessee. Apparently people from Texas and Tennessee have similar accents. To be honest, my accent isn't even that noticeable compared to most people in this area.

To me, that is the equivalent of asking "you aren't from around here are you". It is just a different way of asking the same question. Basically, there is nothing different about Greeneville in this regard. At any location, if your accent is different than the locals then you are going to be asked about it. That is a guarantee. It is not a big deal, so I don't know why anyone would try to make it a big deal. It happens everywhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the perfect male existence? 21 min BellaRosaLinda 3
Watch this Larry 23 min Florida born 1
Fourth of July Fireworks 23 min BellaRosaLinda 1
Flaggers are back 29 min BellaRosaLinda 6
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 34 min BellaRosaLinda 9,772
NASA recruiting for Mars 36 min BellaRosaLinda 30
Hershey's 45 min BellaRosaLinda 14
Luved those pink shorts 1 hr BellaRosaLinda 25
Raising our children to be racist 1 hr Some1 55
The numbers on Trump 3 hr BellaRosaLinda 35
who got shot on fish pond rd tonight 11 hr yep 59

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages