Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#43 Sep 28, 2010
Tony RAy

Since: Aug 10

Duluth, GA

#44 Sep 28, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
The best golfer? You take the top 10 golfers in Greene County, put them on a course they have never played from 7000 yards and then you'll find out who can play. The best golf tournament that has ever been in Greene County was the Sun Tournament. 2 weekends and 4 differerent courses. Link Hills, Nolichuckey, Graysburg and Twin Creeks. I'd love to see this Tournament come back!
Yes I remember that tournament, played in it several times. It was a good test of local golfers talent.

Duluth, GA

#45 Sep 28, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
I would like to add one thing and get an older player's perspective. To the person who said that Dandy Dan was mediocre at best, I was on the wrong end of a 68 that he shot from the tips at Link Hills in a big "gangsome" action in the 1970's on a cool, blustery day when it was the lowest score by 6 or 7 shots in a large group of the best players at the time. I personally think that a 68 shot at Link Hills 30 some years ago with the clubs, balls and course conditioning of that time is a hell of a lot better than a 68 shot today at the same place. Opinions?
Agreed! As someone who plays old style golf this today. All the new golfers do it hit is long and chip and putt. They have no shot selection, low hook, low slice, hit it short and run it up to the pin. LOL! We had to hit shots back in the day!

Duluth, GA

#46 Sep 28, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I've been thinking about your bet. I wondered who Old Golfer could be. I went through my list of players who could have broken par at all the courses here and thought about your challenge. The only two guys that I can think of who could break par AND nobody on the list could break 80 with the exact clubs that they used , would be Eddie Bailey and Mike Wilhoit, both lefties. If this is true, then I would NOT take your challenge.
I played with both Eddie "Red" Bailey and Mike Wilhoit back in the day, they were both very good. I never really have seen a bad left handed golfer, remember John Chapman?
IDIOT

Mount Sterling, KY

#47 Sep 28, 2010
movedaway81 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I remember that tournament, played in it several times. It was a good test of local golfers talent.
unfortunely you cant get much interest in those type trnys. anymore.... and Lee was/is good.... but dont doubt some of these youngsters... I remember the old equip. too !!

Duluth, GA

#49 Sep 28, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I first thought that you were a left hander because of your claim that these younger players couldn't break 80 with the exact clubs that you used. Then I thought you were W.T. because of "off brand" irons. He played at one time with Confidence irons. I now know who you are Lee, and I apologize for leaving you off my better golfers list, but I told everyone that I would forget somebody. I have no doubt that you shot 68,which was a harder task than a 68 today. Also you were longer off the tee than most anyone at the time. I also had a Mizuno Turbo graphite head driver about the 1980's. I looked for it last night, but couldn't find it. Must have lost it in a move. I understand you are still playing well. My money is still on Meade breaking 80 with a rake and a shovel.
I was wondering the same thing if it was Lee! And no do not take that bet unless you are one of us old golfers that could shot under par back in the day and can still putt today like we did then!

Duluth, GA

#50 Sep 28, 2010
Ok I played back in the 70's and early 80's before moving away. I would agree with all the people listed, Joe Mead is as good as they got. Lets go back older, how about the Kilday's, Bud was pretty darn good. The Chapmans, all of them could play. The Wittenbergs, they were not bad either! Oh and do not forget Lynna Rader, she could beat most of the men back in the day! I enjoyed playing with and against all of the people we listed from the old days, could hold my own, won some lost some. Good memories, thanks for the thread whoever started it, refreshing for a change on here.

Duluth, GA

#51 Sep 28, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I've played Club Specials, Spalding Dots, Kro-Flites, Maxfli Reds, Podos and many others. If people don't understand the difference in equipment, let them try to hit a persimmon or laminated maple 3 wood off a downhill lie like # 15 at Link Hills.
Exactly!

Duluth, GA

#52 Sep 28, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I don't quite agree with that. Are you saying that you were at least 12 strokes better then than they are now? I am guessing that the grips on those clubs must be real slick and the wood heads cracked, because I think they are good enough in spite of the fact they are not used to playing with old clubs. Meade is old enough to have played with stuff from that era, and good enough to easily break 80 with anything. I also still have old Power Bilt woods and MacGregor blades from the 80's. I don't play with them, though.
I had Power Built woods, and wilson staff tour blades, before that had the same woods, but Titliest irons.
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#53 Sep 28, 2010
Another good one from John Chapman days was Bucky Wright. Also David "Timer" White could play . He gave me the worst match play beating, by far, that I ever got. It was in a driving rain, but he apparently didn't notice.
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#54 Sep 28, 2010
movedaway81 wrote:
Ok I played back in the 70's and early 80's before moving away. I would agree with all the people listed, Joe Mead is as good as they got. Lets go back older, how about the Kilday's, Bud was pretty darn good. The Chapmans, all of them could play. The Wittenbergs, they were not bad either! Oh and do not forget Lynna Rader, she could beat most of the men back in the day! I enjoyed playing with and against all of the people we listed from the old days, could hold my own, won some lost some. Good memories, thanks for the thread whoever started it, refreshing for a change on here.
I remember that Bud did play quite well with a homemade swing , but was plagued by an occasional bout with the shanks. Mason Mercer was another good player that was known to hit "hosel rockets". I often played with all the Chapmans and Cotton Whittenburg. Cotton would hit a consistent fade, maybe slice, but knew where it was going and putted well. He got it around in good order if the course wasn't too long.
Old Golfer

Gallatin, TN

#55 Sep 28, 2010
movedaway81 wrote:
Bud had all the shots with a swing he got from swinging a sickle! He had me 4 shots down with 4 to play in the Greeneville Amateur Championship Tournament. Then he got the shanks. I ended up beating him by 4. That was the last time they played that Tournament. I still have the trophy with all the past winners names on it. Told them I'd bring it back if they had the tournament again. I'm still waiting too!
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#56 Sep 28, 2010
One day while playing with Mason Mercer at Link Hills on #12, he got the shanks. He drove it about 50-60 yards from the green and proceeded to shank the next one to the right of the right trap. He shanked the next behind the green. From there he hit it in the woods to the left of the green as you faced it. He basically chased it around the green with shanked half wedges. It's hard to believe that somebody that good could do that, but I've seen Bud hit several also.
Old Golfer

Gallatin, TN

#57 Sep 29, 2010
I went through the shanks this year for about a month. I'd hit 4 or 5 a round everytime I played. I never figured it out. One day I played and didn't hit one and haven't since. They just went away and I'm glad they did!!!
yourmamma

Johnson City, TN

#58 Sep 29, 2010
take a half a step away from the ball when you got the shanks....you start shanking when you are standind too close to the ball..ofcourse you already probably know that
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#59 Sep 29, 2010
yourmamma wrote:
take a half a step away from the ball when you got the shanks....you start shanking when you are standind too close to the ball..ofcourse you already probably know that
I stand too close to it after I've hit it, nowadays.
Molene

Oak Ridge, NC

#60 Nov 25, 2012
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I stand too close to it after I've hit it, nowadays.
Big Boy,,,,, I tell you what,,, I'm getting ready to BREAK OUUUUT! Mo
PS " Jump on that Rislove!"
1 who knows

Wadesboro, NC

#61 Nov 25, 2012
This is judged only by what they accomplished.
1. Walt Chapman
Joe Meade
3. John Chapman
Todd Ricker
Chris Dibble

I will say there are many that could have beaten these guys on any given day. You also have to mention someone like Lee Norton, who knows what he may have done if not injured. There are so many golfers from Greene Co. from the 1960's until the 2000's that have had their day, but in my opinion, these were/are the best.
use to live their

Charlotte, NC

#62 Nov 25, 2012
I would love to hear Bob Dibble, Jerry Thomas, The Radar's at Twin Creeks, and Bobby Ward answer this question. Oh yeah, Steve Munson too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 min Julia 146,114
ISIS spreading EBOLA 9 min Kohlrabi 2
Joan Rivers current status 19 min NobodyUKno 9
Nitrogen water problem. .. 21 min mafia moll 9
LABOR DAY appease low wage hard work as the ri... 24 min formally known as... 3
you married a ? 26 min Tam Phat 7
Dad creates app to remind about children in hot... 31 min Dixie iron fist 6
Laughlin Memorial Hospital 2 hr Health Scammers 13
south greene football 12 hr jake 50
•••
•••
Greeneville Dating

more search filters