The BEST golfer in Greeneville
mashie niblick

Hendersonville, TN

#22 Sep 24, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree on a couple of them but not most. I have a full set of clubs that I shot 68 with at Graysburg in 1985. I'll bet any of them 1K that they can't meet me at Graysburg and break 80 on the original 18 from the tips using those clubs! You said they can play with anything. I even have 3 new Club Specials they can use too! OK, any takers?
I've been thinking about your bet. I wondered who Old Golfer could be. I went through my list of players who could have broken par at all the courses here and thought about your challenge. The only two guys that I can think of who could break par AND nobody on the list could break 80 with the exact clubs that they used , would be Eddie Bailey and Mike Wilhoit, both lefties. If this is true, then I would NOT take your challenge.
Old Golfer

Gallatin, TN

#23 Sep 24, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I don't quite agree with that. Are you saying that you were at least 12 strokes better then than they are now? I am guessing that the grips on those clubs must be real slick and the wood heads cracked, because I think they are good enough in spite of the fact they are not used to playing with old clubs. Meade is old enough to have played with stuff from that era, and good enough to easily break 80 with anything. I also still have old Power Bilt woods and MacGregor blades from the 80's. I don't play with them, though.
No, I'm not saying I was 12 strokes better. I'm saying they can't break 80 with clubs from back then the first time they play with them. The other post said they could play with anything. My woods are in great shape and I'll re-grip all the clubs for them if they put up 1K. Remember, graphite headed woods were out before 85. Smaller heads, smaller sweet spots, 80 compression Club Special balls, etc.. I agree, Joe would be the only one I might not bet. I've played with him all my life and we have went head to head many times. My clubs were bought straight off the shelf and not built to anyones specs like they are today. They are an off brand at that. They might prove me wrong but I'll have to see it for myself.
Old Golfer

Gallatin, TN

#24 Sep 24, 2010
No, I'm not Red or Mike but played with them often. Try again.
mashie niblick

Hendersonville, TN

#25 Sep 24, 2010
Are the irons Confidence brand?
volfan12

Jonesborough, TN

#26 Sep 25, 2010
Niblick, don't get me wrong, iv'e played with Dan McClain many times, and back in the old days he was a good golfer. But for you to say Dandy Dan was the best player back in the old days is just silly. Bob Ward won the club championship at link hills when he was 16. Beating players such as: Dandy dan, Joe Hickerson, Bill Hickerson, and Bob Ward's father in law Mason Mercer. Mason and Bob took everyone's money in the late 70s, and in the 80's. After Mason passed away, it was bob ward and steve Munson who left people penniless in the late 80's. I saw them in fort leauderdale play a best ball against two other extremely good players for 500 bucks a hole. There was around 25 golf carts following them watching the match. Honestly, the match was over through 9 holes, Bob and Steve were 9 under through 9 holes best ball. They ended up winning 3k a piece.
volfan12

Jonesborough, TN

#27 Sep 25, 2010
I'm an old timer played with all the greats and past greats of greeville numerous times. Bob Ward, Steve Munoson, and Art Whaley beat the hell out of everyone they played back in the day. If anyone on this board is old enough, they will tell you just as I have these three were unbeatable in their prime.
mashie niblick

Hendersonville, TN

#28 Sep 25, 2010
volfan12 wrote:
Niblick, don't get me wrong, iv'e played with Dan McClain many times, and back in the old days he was a good golfer. But for you to say Dandy Dan was the best player back in the old days is just silly. Bob Ward won the club championship at link hills when he was 16. Beating players such as: Dandy dan, Joe Hickerson, Bill Hickerson, and Bob Ward's father in law Mason Mercer. Mason and Bob took everyone's money in the late 70s, and in the 80's. After Mason passed away, it was bob ward and steve Munson who left people penniless in the late 80's. I saw them in fort leauderdale play a best ball against two other extremely good players for 500 bucks a hole. There was around 25 golf carts following them watching the match. Honestly, the match was over through 9 holes, Bob and Steve were 9 under through 9 holes best ball. They ended up winning 3k a piece.
I posted that the Dandy Dan comment was done tongue-in-cheek. I've played many times with Ward and Art. I didn't list Whaley because he wasn't a "Greeneville" golfer, having come to the area and Link Hills by way of ETSU as a member of the golf team along with tour winner Mike Hulbert. If my memory is correct , he was originally from Delaware. What you say is true. Art and Bobby shared a very smooth tempo, but Art's putter often let him down.
mashie niblick

Hendersonville, TN

#29 Sep 25, 2010
I also stood up for Ward in a previous post, and named Munson as one of my two best around here in another thread. I can't disagree with anything you've said.
iuytrd

Freedom, PA

#30 Sep 25, 2010
volfan12

Jonesborough, TN

#31 Sep 26, 2010
Your right Niblick, Whaley is from Deleware. I haven't seen him in many many years, but if I'm not mistaken I think he moved back up to Deleware. Like you said though, his putting often let him down. He was one of the purest ball strikers that I have ever seen though. Another good player from that era was Ronnie Morrison.
mashie niblick

Hendersonville, TN

#32 Sep 26, 2010
volfan12 wrote:
Your right Niblick, Whaley is from Deleware. I haven't seen him in many many years, but if I'm not mistaken I think he moved back up to Deleware. Like you said though, his putting often let him down. He was one of the purest ball strikers that I have ever seen though. Another good player from that era was Ronnie Morrison.
I started to add that Art was probably the best ball striker that played around here. He had an effortless looking swing and the sound of the club hitting the ball was really crisp. He had a beautiful ball flight in the day of balata balls. Currently of the players on tour , I think that Boo Weekly has that same effortless swing and a very solid strike. He must not putt very well, because his ball striking is one of the best I've seen and this was when he was playing Nationwide. I've seen most of the greats from the last 50 years in person on a several occasions. I mentioned Mo on an earlier post. He would say "Big boy, I'm gonna wring it's neck", as he got ready to hit a tee shot.
Local Hero

Fort Campbell, TN

#33 Sep 26, 2010
Jerry Wilhoit... first from any county school to head to the State I think?

Jimmy Whittenburg
Old Golfer

Smyrna, GA

#34 Sep 26, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
Are the irons Confidence brand?
Spalding XL-4 3-pw and SW, with Mazuno Graphite driver and a PaceSeter 2 putter. Only 1 SW, not this 52, 56 and 60 stuff. I talked to Joe today, he said he could do it with his clubs but not mine. I told him he still hadn't grown up enough to hit a mans clubs!! lol I actually talked to most of them today at the Nolichucky Tourney. I have never played in that much rain and will never again!!!
IDIOT

Woodstock, AL

#35 Sep 27, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I don't quite agree with that. Are you saying that you were at least 12 strokes better then than they are now? I am guessing that the grips on those clubs must be real slick and the wood heads cracked, because I think they are good enough in spite of the fact they are not used to playing with old clubs. Meade is old enough to have played with stuff from that era, and good enough to easily break 80 with anything. I also still have old Power Bilt woods and MacGregor blades from the 80's. I don't play with them, though.
I think he is getting crazy in his old age !! haha... Almost all of todays athletes are better than the old timers..... even in golf.... An average tour player would beat the socks off the old guys...
mashie niblick

Nashville, TN

#36 Sep 27, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
<quoted text>
Spalding XL-4 3-pw and SW, with Mazuno Graphite driver and a PaceSeter 2 putter. Only 1 SW, not this 52, 56 and 60 stuff. I talked to Joe today, he said he could do it with his clubs but not mine. I told him he still hadn't grown up enough to hit a mans clubs!! lol I actually talked to most of them today at the Nolichucky Tourney. I have never played in that much rain and will never again!!!
I first thought that you were a left hander because of your claim that these younger players couldn't break 80 with the exact clubs that you used. Then I thought you were W.T. because of "off brand" irons. He played at one time with Confidence irons. I now know who you are Lee, and I apologize for leaving you off my better golfers list, but I told everyone that I would forget somebody. I have no doubt that you shot 68,which was a harder task than a 68 today. Also you were longer off the tee than most anyone at the time. I also had a Mizuno Turbo graphite head driver about the 1980's. I looked for it last night, but couldn't find it. Must have lost it in a move. I understand you are still playing well. My money is still on Meade breaking 80 with a rake and a shovel.
Old Golfer

Hartselle, AL

#37 Sep 27, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>I first thought that you were a left hander because of your claim that these younger players couldn't break 80 with the exact clubs that you used. Then I thought you were W.T. because of "off brand" irons. He played at one time with Confidence irons. I now know who you are Lee, and I apologize for leaving you off my better golfers list, but I told everyone that I would forget somebody. I have no doubt that you shot 68,which was a harder task than a 68 today. Also you were longer off the tee than most anyone at the time. I also had a Mizuno Turbo graphite head driver about the 1980's. I looked for it last night, but couldn't find it. Must have lost it in a move. I understand you are still playing well. My money is still on Meade breaking 80 with a rake and a shovel.
Yep, you got me! Are your initials JJ? The young guns are good and a few have the game. They have more equipment to pick from these days and can custom each club to thier swing. We had only a few shafts to select from and they were regular, stiff and Extra Stiff. I do believe I can beat all of them if they play one handed, lol. I'll even give them 1 or 2 shots a hole!!! Wonder if they will give me 1 shot a hole if I let them use both hands and I'll use just one? Any takers on that? lol
mashie niblick

Hendersonville, TN

#38 Sep 27, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, you got me! Are your initials JJ? The young guns are good and a few have the game. They have more equipment to pick from these days and can custom each club to thier swing. We had only a few shafts to select from and they were regular, stiff and Extra Stiff. I do believe I can beat all of them if they play one handed, lol. I'll even give them 1 or 2 shots a hole!!! Wonder if they will give me 1 shot a hole if I let them use both hands and I'll use just one? Any takers on that? lol
My money would be on you. Initials A.M.....played at Link Hills 1960's-1990's. I've never played with you , but have met you and know your rep.I never got better than a 3 handicap, because I never could putt a lick. I never played any tournaments except Link Hills Club Championship 3 or 4 times at match play (I've always had to work 6 days a week in family business). We could play our matches anytime during the week. Won Championship Consolation one year after getting knocked out in the first round by Walter Chapman Jr. when he was on U.T. team. I played it once at stroke play and finished mid pack in Championship Flight. I seldom play now, but still shoot in the 70's.
Mrs Holly

Jonesborough, TN

#39 Sep 27, 2010
Golf is triple gay! Maybe even gayer than that?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#40 Sep 27, 2010
funny ol T-Ray aint listed in this list. he thinks he s a good golfer, brags about it all the time.
mashie niblick

Hendersonville, TN

#41 Sep 28, 2010
Who is T-Ray?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is judges breaking laws 6 min Jeb 12
old drug dealers 9 min fired up 10
DTR's new name? 36 min wondering 8
Idiot in charge! 1 hr Trumpisdumb 21
motorcycle wreck 2 hr Jethro 3
GHS Threat 2 hr Nope 1
phillip hale (Dec '15) 2 hr Spy 24
Old Oak was a joke 4 hr Old Oak fan 51
2 found dead last night in greene county 4 hr Damens 34
Susan Crum Foundation (Jan '16) 22 hr Allbymyself 25