Comments
1 - 20 of 63 Comments Last updated Sep 15, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Anonymous

Nashville, TN

#1 Sep 21, 2010
Chris Wilson? Who is that? Tommy Ricker is horrible.
The best golfer in Greeneville right now is Sasha Catron.
LOL

Gallatin, TN

#2 Sep 21, 2010
God I would hate to be named Sasha. What were his parents thinking?!
Better chill

Greenville, NC

#3 Sep 21, 2010
uhmty wrote:
Chris Wilson? Who is that? Tommy Ricker is horrible.
The best golfer in Greeneville right now is Sasha Catron.
Tommy's golf skills has completely paid for a very expensive private college education. Plus he's really a good guy so don't start on him please.
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#4 Sep 21, 2010
Back in the old days, the best golfer by far was Dandy Dan. They came from near and far to challenge him , but left beaten and penniless. He would have dominated the circuit, but for a balky putter.
Old Golfer

Johnson City, TN

#6 Sep 22, 2010
The best golfer? You take the top 10 golfers in Greene County, put them on a course they have never played from 7000 yards and then you'll find out who can play. The best golf tournament that has ever been in Greene County was the Sun Tournament. 2 weekends and 4 differerent courses. Link Hills, Nolichuckey, Graysburg and Twin Creeks. I'd love to see this Tournament come back!
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#7 Sep 22, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
The best golfer? You take the top 10 golfers in Greene County, put them on a course they have never played from 7000 yards and then you'll find out who can play. The best golf tournament that has ever been in Greene County was the Sun Tournament. 2 weekends and 4 differerent courses. Link Hills, Nolichuckey, Graysburg and Twin Creeks. I'd love to see this Tournament come back!
Put the top 10 on a tough venue, and you would see very few scores under 77. I've seen Hogan, Snead in person toward the end of their careers..... Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper, Norman, Ballesteros and many others in person and in their prime. We don't have that talent here. And yes, I am a golfer.
Anonymous

Nashville, TN

#8 Sep 22, 2010
niblick i would like to see your list
FRANKLY

Gallatin, TN

#9 Sep 22, 2010
uhmty wrote:
niblick i would like to see your list
You're just dying to see your name on here aren't you
Old Golfer

Johnson City, TN

#10 Sep 22, 2010
mashie niblick wrote:
<quoted text>Put the top 10 on a tough venue, and you would see very few scores under 77. I've seen Hogan, Snead in person toward the end of their careers..... Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper, Norman, Ballesteros and many others in person and in their prime. We don't have that talent here. And yes, I am a golfer.
I've seen most of them play as well. If you put pre 1985 clubs and balls in these young guys hands, only 1 or 2 could break 80. I've shot under par on every course in Greene County from the tips back in the day and I don't see these young guys today with the shots in their bag to do it. Some of us older golfers could still break 80 with those clubs. I'd love to see a tournament where only pre 1985 clubs aloud. We couldn't find enough balls like the good old Club Specials but the clubs would be good enough.
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#11 Sep 22, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen most of them play as well. If you put pre 1985 clubs and balls in these young guys hands, only 1 or 2 could break 80. I've shot under par on every course in Greene County from the tips back in the day and I don't see these young guys today with the shots in their bag to do it. Some of us older golfers could still break 80 with those clubs. I'd love to see a tournament where only pre 1985 clubs aloud. We couldn't find enough balls like the good old Club Specials but the clubs would be good enough.
I've played Club Specials, Spalding Dots, Kro-Flites, Maxfli Reds, Podos and many others. If people don't understand the difference in equipment, let them try to hit a persimmon or laminated maple 3 wood off a downhill lie like # 15 at Link Hills.
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#12 Sep 22, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm amazed that they don't shoot lower scores. On the local courses, most of them just need a driver and a wedge. Forty years ago, you had to absolutely hammer a putt of 40-60 feet. You had to take a fairly long backswing with a wristy stroke or you couldn't get it to the hole. Even a 20 footer took a pretty good rap. It's hard to be real precise when you're hitting a putt that hard. Years ago, the lies around the green were more spotty and bare. You had to hit considerably more club on your second shot and the ball spun and curved a lot more. The clubs had to be hit with more precision with 150cc solid wood drivers and small non offset blades. Before fairway watering , you had to learn to bounce it into the green. It's still not an easy game but I'm surprised that the scores around here aren't better.
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#13 Sep 22, 2010
I would like to add one thing and get an older player's perspective. To the person who said that Dandy Dan was mediocre at best, I was on the wrong end of a 68 that he shot from the tips at Link Hills in a big "gangsome" action in the 1970's on a cool, blustery day when it was the lowest score by 6 or 7 shots in a large group of the best players at the time. I personally think that a 68 shot at Link Hills 30 some years ago with the clubs, balls and course conditioning of that time is a hell of a lot better than a 68 shot today at the same place. Opinions?
Me too

Greenville, NC

#14 Sep 23, 2010
FRANKLY wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just dying to see your name on here aren't you
Yeah, I'd like to see uhmty's name on here too.
The Good Guy

Morristown, TN

#15 Sep 23, 2010
Why Of course, I am the best golfer in Greeneville. I hold the trophy 20 years and still running. Haven't you seen my engraved clubs & hand stitched leather bag ? I always have a caddy, he has to tell me which club to use. Now what about the worst golfer in town ? Name some
Humpty

Greenville, NC

#16 Sep 23, 2010
uhmty.
billy

Brentwood, TN

#17 Sep 23, 2010
My Top Five
1)Joe Meade
2) Todd Ricker
3) Sasha Catron
4) Justin Jeffers
5) Kevin Kinser
Anonymous

Nashville, TN

#18 Sep 23, 2010
justin jeffers lol
IDIOT

Mount Sterling, KY

#19 Sep 24, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
<quoted text>
old man..... quit fooling yourself....some of these guys could play with anything
Old Golfer

Gallatin, TN

#20 Sep 24, 2010
IDIOT wrote:
<quoted text>
old man..... quit fooling yourself....some of these guys could play with anything
I agree on a couple of them but not most. I have a full set of clubs that I shot 68 with at Graysburg in 1985. I'll bet any of them 1K that they can't meet me at Graysburg and break 80 on the original 18 from the tips using those clubs! You said they can play with anything. I even have 3 new Club Specials they can use too! OK, any takers?
mashie niblick

Knoxville, TN

#21 Sep 24, 2010
Old Golfer wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree on a couple of them but not most. I have a full set of clubs that I shot 68 with at Graysburg in 1985. I'll bet any of them 1K that they can't meet me at Graysburg and break 80 on the original 18 from the tips using those clubs! You said they can play with anything. I even have 3 new Club Specials they can use too! OK, any takers?
I don't quite agree with that. Are you saying that you were at least 12 strokes better then than they are now? I am guessing that the grips on those clubs must be real slick and the wood heads cracked, because I think they are good enough in spite of the fact they are not used to playing with old clubs. Meade is old enough to have played with stuff from that era, and good enough to easily break 80 with anything. I also still have old Power Bilt woods and MacGregor blades from the 80's. I don't play with them, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shiane foulks 4 min peanut 1
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 5 min Bayless 145,827
old men at greystone dump 10 min taxpayer 8
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 10 min Agnus 3,637
Paying too much child support (Aug '11) 22 min Dixie iron fist 28
motor cycle clubs 23 min Dixie iron fist 6
Fool me three times a Bush 35 min KohIrabi 11
twested scissors 49 min Sign of the times 12
Davis Street 54 min Kohlrabi 30
south greene football 7 hr Pretend 2 B Normal 33
•••
•••
Greeneville Dating

more search filters