Greener gardening

Greener gardening

There are 2 comments on the Newsday story from May 2, 2008, titled Greener gardening. In it, Newsday reports that:

I first thought hard about chemicals poisoning the Earth years ago when I wrote about a small group of naturalists that fought successfully to ban DDT from the fields of Long Island and save ospreys from ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

East Setauket, NY

#1 May 7, 2008
As you can see by my name I'm prejudiced but this is a great article. Very comprehensive and educational. The Audubon did a study saying that homeowners in 2000 put 136 million pounds of pesticides on their lawns & gardens and that was THREE times more than farmers used at that time. This needs to change (and I DON'T mean that farmer's should use more :)).

Never heard of miticides (learn something new every day whether you want to or not), was very sad to hear of the passing of Ed Langlieb (awesome gardener, sharing, kind, lovely man) and am curious and suspicious as to what exactly the heck is "Messenger". I'll have to do some research on that one. Thanks Newsday! You did a great public service for the homeowners of LI. I hope they take advantage and put it to use!
down town

Saint Michael, MN

#2 May 8, 2008
I agree, homeowners use more pesticides and fertilizers than farmers do. Farmers are being blamed for nitrogen damaging the mississippi delta ... but I'll bet most of that nitrogen is washed off of suburban lawns. My wife's cousin lives by a small lake in the minneapolis mn area, a lake that gets no ag run-off, and the water is green and full of weeds by early summer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greene Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whitney point schools shutdown? Aug '16 rita jane 2
michael thelps Aug '16 Pluto 1
probationers getting away with shit (Mar '16) Mar '16 curious 2
webpigliz (Jan '15) May '15 marathon resident 3
Puppy Mill in Harpursvile NY (Aug '14) Feb '15 Kathy Rosenberger 9
Old Abandoned House (Mar '14) Dec '14 scarlettohall 2
News Residents oppose natural gas compressor station... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Fat Bellied Utican 1

Greene Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greene Mortgages