Letter: Wal-Mart drives economic growth

Letter: Wal-Mart drives economic growth

There are 39 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Mar 1, 2009, titled Letter: Wal-Mart drives economic growth. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

If anyone cares to take the time, try checking out Google Earth. Take a look at Green Valley, Ariz.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dbski4it

Chico, CA

#21 Mar 1, 2009
Go to Walmart and look at their employees. While they are fine human beings and nice people they are not the kind that you will find working at other retail stores. Walmart should be commended for hiring many people who would never get a job anywhere else.

There, I went and said it. Most Walmart employees would not have a job if it wasn't for Walmart. Society should be singing Walmart praises.
MoonMaven

Orland, CA

#22 Mar 1, 2009
Instead of 'Googling' and looking at the pretty pictures of Wal Mart and the surrounding area, maybe you should talk to people who live in the area......including other business owners. You might also watch the documentary called 'Wal-Mart, The High Cost of Low Prices'. It's always better to look, listen and do a bit of research and not just glance at a pretty picture.
bruce

Menlo Park, CA

#23 Mar 1, 2009
i just wonder if Juanita has ever heard the quote"it is better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt"?
Mike

Folsom, CA

#24 Mar 1, 2009
Where capitailism is allowed to thrive, so does the communities. Where government is heavy, poverty and crime thrives.
SaneChicoan

Los Altos, CA

#25 Mar 2, 2009
Walmart is a horror. Selling Chinese junk to cheapskate Americans. Is that a service? Or is it just enabling the obesity/entitlement generation?

It's a good thing we have Walmart because very soon, none of us will be able to afford anything else. And since Americans don't make anything anymore, what little money we have left will just go to the Chinese. How long before they are dictating to us how we will live?

Those of you who love Walmart should show your pride by flying the Chinese flag on the 4th of July. Bravo.
durham dad

Chico, CA

#26 Mar 2, 2009
if you don't like Wal Mart don't shop there, oh but you will
Joe Sixpack

Manteca, CA

#27 Mar 2, 2009
SaneChicoan wrote:
Walmart is a horror. Selling Chinese junk to cheapskate Americans. Is that a service? Or is it just enabling the obesity/entitlement generation?
It's a good thing we have Walmart because very soon, none of us will be able to afford anything else. And since Americans don't make anything anymore, what little money we have left will just go to the Chinese. How long before they are dictating to us how we will live?
Those of you who love Walmart should show your pride by flying the Chinese flag on the 4th of July. Bravo.
An economy based on services and credit will decline. A real economy has to produce products as well as service them. The crazed Republic Party doctrine wants to finish off the middle class so there is a rich 1% and everyone else. But I have never understand this bizarro dogma of theirs. What's wrong with earning a middle class wage?
SaneChicoan

Sloughhouse, CA

#28 Mar 2, 2009
durham dad wrote:
if you don't like Wal Mart don't shop there, oh but you will
Sorry Dad. I will continue, as I have for decades, to patronize Collier Hardware, the Tackle Box, Mangrove Bottle, Campus Bikes, and as many other local businesses as I can, for as long as I can.
I will gladly pay a premium to avoid that ugly hell hole.
Mike

Folsom, CA

#29 Mar 2, 2009
Whee would you rather be made to speng a year locked up? At the welfare building or Wal*Mart?

Let capitalism work again, we will all be better off. and enjoy more of our own decision making.
Joe Sixpack

Monmouth Junction, NJ

#30 Mar 2, 2009
Mike wrote:
Whee would you rather be made to speng a year locked up? At the welfare building or Wal*Mart?
Let capitalism work again, we will all be better off. and enjoy more of our own decision making.
Huh? Can you send that again in English?

“CSUC c/o 09 ”

Since: Sep 08

Knights Landing, CA

#31 Mar 10, 2009
SaneChicoan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Dad. I will continue, as I have for decades, to patronize Collier Hardware, the Tackle Box, Mangrove Bottle, Campus Bikes, and as many other local businesses as I can, for as long as I can.
I will gladly pay a premium to avoid that ugly hell hole.
if you enjoy upper park you would stop patronizing campus bikes since they seem to be in bed with friends of bidwell to curtain public access to bidwell park
Vern

AOL

#32 Mar 10, 2009
Anyone been to Harbor tools and checked out the labels? It's all made in China crap.

I have always despised Walmart but because of the economy and especially cheaper prescriptions I have been shopping there more frequently. I have actually found a few items made in the USA.
I thought I was friggen dreaming!

“CSUC c/o 09 ”

Since: Sep 08

Knights Landing, CA

#33 Mar 11, 2009
lots of the tools in my stable came from harbor freight and i would hardly say they are crap, especially their 18v battery powered ones.
Robert

San Antonio, TX

#34 Nov 5, 2009
Anyone who sticks up for Walmart needs to be deported to China....the country that they really love.
disgruntled

Menlo Park, CA

#35 Nov 5, 2009
prescriptions are less expensive at Costco.
Boot

Scottsdale, AZ

#36 Nov 5, 2009
To whoever runs the WalMart in Sahuarita. Pay some money to this little town so that more than just cops can use the little road that connects Santo Tomas to WalMart. REsidents have to drive down La Canada, take a left at the light, drive to WallyMart. This road cuts the trip down to about 1/2 mile from Santo Tomas. You are losing people to Fry's because of this. Making residents waste more gas. Gas being an expensive item in Sahuarita.
Boot

Scottsdale, AZ

#37 Nov 5, 2009
You gotta drive 25 miles to save a couple of bucks at Costco. Rethink your strategy. Even on a nice fuel efficient vehicle, you are looking at roughly $5 of gas to save a couple of bucks on a prescription.
disgruntled

Menlo Park, CA

#38 Nov 7, 2009
this is a Chico,Ca forum.Costco is less than 3 miles away.
Boot

United States

#39 Nov 7, 2009
Not in Sahuarita!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Border Patrol raids desert aid camp, arrests 4 ... Jun 17 spud 3
Dave Townsend Jun 2 Mike K 1
Review: Lou's TV (Apr '15) Apr '15 ivanci 1
Considering a move (Nov '14) Nov '14 Robinrenae 1
News Catholic leaders push immigration reform at border (Apr '14) May '14 ronnie 7
Nogales, Mexico (Apr '14) Apr '14 tgibob 1
News National Feral Cat Day: Trap Neuter Return, Tucson (Oct '11) Mar '14 Kelly 2

Green Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Green Valley Mortgages