First Prev
of 10
Next Last
North of Clyde

Waianae, HI

#1 Jan 8, 2008
Clyde has recently been dealing with a Cancer cluster. Cancer is caused by carcinogens, and how humans are exposed to them. Yet no one seems to be connecting the fact, according to the EPA, that Sandusky County is the fifth most polluted county in Ohio. The cause to this pollution is Vickery Environmental which disposes of known carcinogens. I am not saying Vickery Environmental is the direct cause, but am wondering why this possiblity is not being explored. Vickery Environmental has released around 1.42 billion gallons of hazardous waste since 1972.

Since: Jun 07

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#2 Jan 13, 2008
North of Clyde wrote:
Clyde has recently been dealing with a Cancer cluster. Cancer is caused by carcinogens, and how humans are exposed to them. Yet no one seems to be connecting the fact, according to the EPA, that Sandusky County is the fifth most polluted county in Ohio. The cause to this pollution is Vickery Environmental which disposes of known carcinogens. I am not saying Vickery Environmental is the direct cause, but am wondering why this possiblity is not being explored. Vickery Environmental has released around 1.42 billion gallons of hazardous waste since 1972.
Didn't they used to be Ohio Liquid Disposal?
Jim

Monument, CO

#3 Jan 15, 2008
What kind of cancers are involved? What are the chances of these chemicals migrating into Lake Erie or the county ground water supply?
North of Clyde

Waianae, HI

#4 Jan 16, 2008
Yes, this facility was once known as Ohio Liquid Disposal and then became a Chemical Waste Management company and later the name was changed to Vickery Environmental. The cancers invovled are brain, leukmia, rare eye cancer, and other forms of rare childhood cancers. Waste Management already paid around 15 million dollars in the late eighties in one of the United States' largest hazardous waste settlements ever. The chance of migration into water supplies is almost certain according to some hydrologist. Also migration has already occured in deep well injection sites in Florida, and other areas, the chances of hazardous waste from this site leaking into the lake are great. Vickery Environmental is located around four miles away from Sandusky Bay which of course flows into Lake Erie. This environmental disaster waiting to happen is currently pumping around 16 million gallons of hazardous waste a year. I do not think a fine or settlement or lawsuit could ever repay the damage that polluting one of the worlds greatest water resources would cause.
Janice

Torrance, CA

#5 Feb 12, 2008
Many schools across the country have been built on closed dumps (landfills) containing carcinogenic chemicals. Does anyone have information on the previous land-use of Green Springs Elementary School, Clyde High School and all other schools in the Clyde-Green Springs area?
Janice R. England
People Investigating Toxic Sites

Since: Jun 07

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#6 Feb 13, 2008
Janice wrote:
Many schools across the country have been built on closed dumps (landfills) containing carcinogenic chemicals. Does anyone have information on the previous land-use of Green Springs Elementary School, Clyde High School and all other schools in the Clyde-Green Springs area?
Janice R. England
People Investigating Toxic Sites

Clyde High School was built on a soybean
field in about 1964. The middle school
was built on the site of the old Union
School around 1938. The Green Spring
schools are in town.
Janice

Torrance, CA

#7 Jun 5, 2008
The 1997 Ohio EPA document, "Biological and Water Quality Study of Raccoon Creek," mentions a closed landfill located adjacent to the Clyde Wastewater Treatment Plant at 1041 S. Main Street. Does anyone have information on the size of the landfill and the years it was in operation? Carcinogenic chemicals from this landfill could be the cause of cancers in Clyde and Green Springs.
Janice

Torrance, CA

#8 Jun 10, 2008
According to government documents, the closed Clyde Dump, which is located just north of the Wastewater Treatment Plant is owned by the City and was in operation from 1930 to 1969. The dump was used for municipal, commercial and industrial wastes. In my last entry, I gave the incorrect address for the Clyde Wastewater Treatment Plant. The correct address is 749 West McPherson Highway and not 1041 S. Main Street, which is the Water Treatment Plant.
Eddie

Bellevue, OH

#9 Aug 23, 2008
Did they ever find the cause of the cancers? Vickery Environmental is one place I would suspect. I remember getting a few hundred dollars from them when I was a child.
I would also investigate Whirlpool too. They have a waste dumping site behind a house I used to live in. When I was a kid I crawled under the fence and remember seeing large concrete "wells," that I assume they dump waste in. My father told me they didn't use the site anymore, but, there were mowed paths, so I assume people still go back there for some reason.
If anyone is interested here's a link to it on Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps...
It's the rectangle in the center, surrounded by trees. Looks like it's still mowed.
Clyde-Green Springs mom

Bellevue, OH

#10 Oct 30, 2008
No one has found the cause, and we have new kids each year affected by some form of cancer.
Down the road in Tiffin

Tiffin, OH

#11 Nov 5, 2008
I doubt it is only that... keep in mind this is also a big farming community and they spray in that area all the time.

Diet change would likely stop or greatly decrease the cancer issue. It's all about diet and the amumune system... unfortunately that don't talk about that much.
bellevue mom

Bellevue, OH

#12 Nov 6, 2008
bellevue which is less than 10 miles from clyde should also be looked at in part of this study...there are a large number of childhood cancers in bellevue as well...most of the cancers (clyde, bellevue, vickery, republic, green springs) are head and neck, and leukemia i believe. it is sickening to see the bulleton boards at the grocery store, the windows on businesses, and the constant fliers for benefits for these children..this is terrifying! everyone either has a sick child, or relative or friend, often multiple. i freak out if one of my kids gets a headache!
joann Schiavone

AOL

#13 Nov 7, 2008
March5, 2009 it will be 23 years that my son Joe was one of the 5 cases of leukemia that was diagnosed in Wood county in a 5mile radius.. I know so well what this can do to a family... My son is alive today because of alot of prayers and the great doctors he had MCO in toledo.. I still feel the pain of it, and when i saw what was going on in Clyde Ohio and these children, and the brother and sister diagnosed it breaks my heart.. I want to help.. Please what ever you do don't trust the Ohio health department on doing any study.. They will put the numbers in and change that whole study, and expect you all to believe this is just happening.. I will tell you to look strongly on every avenue of that city, and surrounding communities... It's what is being put in your drinking water, and the air that uyou breathe.. whatever you do also, don't trust the Ohio Epa to help you on this...
Worried

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#14 Nov 7, 2008
I think everybodt should just pack up and move. I know that sounds crazy but...............y not
Janice R England

Torrance, CA

#15 Nov 9, 2008
Has there been historical research of the Green Springs Elementary School to determine if it was built on top of a closed dump?
Janice R England

Torrance, CA

#16 Nov 18, 2008
The closed Clyde Dump needs to be included in the cancer cluster investigation because it most likely contains carcinogenic chemicals. The dump was in operation from 1930 to 1969, a time of few government regulations on waste disposal. Municipal and industrial wastes were accepted at the landfill which is located directly north of the wastewater treatment plant and is bordered on the west by Raccoon Creek, once a drinking water source for Clyde and Green Springs.
Robert Liebold

Coshocton, OH

#17 Nov 18, 2008
Valid concern but I would like to add some facts here. Raccoon Creek flows from South to North through the city. The old dump and sewage treatment plant are on the North side of town . Any contaminate that might leach out of the old dump would be carried away from the city. The water treatment plant was originally located in town at Community Park and has since been replaced by a new facility further South next to the reservoir. Clyde gets its water from surface water reservoirs that do not draw from the North side of town. Green Springs, which also has health issues, has gotten there water from ground water wells for decades.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0480_72.html
Janice R England wrote:
The closed Clyde Dump needs to be included in the cancer cluster investigation because it most likely contains carcinogenic chemicals. The dump was in operation from 1930 to 1969, a time of few government regulations on waste disposal. Municipal and industrial wastes were accepted at the landfill which is located directly north of the wastewater treatment plant and is bordered on the west by Raccoon Creek, once a drinking water source for Clyde and Green Springs.
Trying not laugh

Bellevue, OH

#18 Nov 21, 2008
Worried wrote:
I think everybodt should just pack up and move. I know that sounds crazy but..........y not
You are very right, let's pack up and move the entire area. Maybe we should move to your town in PA. It shouldn't be hard to obtain work there if you are a representative of the intelligence level in your town.
Janice R England

Torrance, CA

#19 Nov 21, 2008
Does anyone know how many of the children diagnosed with cancer attended Green Springs Elementary School?
daph

Bellevue, OH

#20 Nov 26, 2008
I live in clyde and have seen many kids die and or suffer from all of this and i just want to know what is taking the e.p.a. so long to come out here and check this out? it has been going on for some time now, is someone payin them to keep it hush hush? just some food for thought

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Immigrants come here to work, area residents say (Apr '06) May 10 dumbass radar 20
h2o & supplies grand re-opening! freebies,raff... Apr '15 HOLLY 1
Debate: Marijuana - Bellevue, OH (Aug '10) Apr '15 texmex 4
News Burglar violates early release, sent to prison Mar '15 braaahhhh 1
News Man Caught Having Sex with a Picnic Table (Mar '08) Feb '15 Ricky F 955
News Fliers blank Truckers (May '06) Feb '15 Rikki Bessken 2
News U.S. EPA finds PCBs at now-closed Whirlpool Park (Aug '12) Aug '12 kam 1
More from around the web

Green Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]