First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tss

Lansdale, PA

#1 Oct 24, 2006
Hello,

I am doing research on Maranantha Park. I can not find anything about what happened to it after VFCC stopped using the campgrounds for their bible school. Anyone with any information please email me.

tss@seriousfix.com

I am also interested in any recent history.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Troy Stephen Sanders
David Abel

Brookfield, WI

#2 May 29, 2007
VFCC never DID use the campground. The campground was owned and operated by the Eastern District of the Assemblies of God. Eastern Bible Institute, later to become Northeast Bible Institue, was also located on the grounds. The camp/campus lye in ruins for years until the Eastern District, later to become PENNDEL district, sold it off after their budgetary improvements to VFCC (which was incidentally, ceded to them by the federal goverment for $1.00)
gary depasquale

Englishtown, NJ

#3 Jul 23, 2008
My family was associated with Maranatha Park since the 20's. I spent my eary childhood summer days at the park. The commhnity there was great. We were all family and looked forward to getting together with all my fellow campers. The memories of the ringing of the bell that would announce service was about to begin...and meeting up with families as we all walked to the great tabernacle to meet with the Lord. It was glorious even as a child. Around the summer of 78 we recieved the word that the PennDell district of the A/G was going to sell the property to rasie funds for a conference center in another part of the state. The emotions of everyone ran very high with the reality of after all these years were going to lose our beutiful piece of history. cont...
gary depasquale

Englishtown, NJ

#4 Jul 23, 2008
The last summer there was very sad as we emptied our cabins (we were number 7)and drove down the tree lined path to the main road. I visisted it some years later only to find everything in complete squaller and some vagabonds living in our old cottage. It was very sad to see such little regard that the A/G had on this once magnifecent historical place. Today it is a nature trail with none of the cottages left and just a few of the old classroom buildings. I was able to find the place that our cottage onse stood because of teh two trees on which our old canvas hammock was attached. the hook is still inthe tree...how i miss my camp. email me pastorgary @ctnj.org
Bruce Schenkel

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Aug 6, 2008
Maranatha park was an insitution for me an my friends. We would always be over there,during youth camp family camp,ect. I remember making alot
of friends there, people from NY, NJ, and PA. This
was in the 1970's, playing softball in back of the
tabernackle, and the goodies at the snackshop. I
really remember someone named Debbie Murphy and all the good time we had there. I remember she had
a cabin there. Everytime I hear a song from that
era, I just sit there and remember. please, any one that remembers Maranatha Park, E-Mail me at
cdschenkel@hotmail.com.
Carol Lingo

United States

#6 Jan 6, 2009
tss wrote:
Hello,
I am doing research on Maranantha Park. I can not find anything about what happened to it after VFCC stopped using the campgrounds for their bible school. Anyone with any information please email me.
tss@seriousfix.com
I am also interested in any recent history.
Thanks,
Sincerely,
Troy Stephen Sanders
I visited this site about 4 months ago and the building where the snack bar was is still there and also the building that we used for crafts in the 60's still exits as well as the old kitchen at the bottom of the hill below where the main building stood. Everything is gone. On the front law of the property stands an elementary school and school district headquarters for Green Lane.
I had wonderful times there in summer camp in the early 60's. What a pitty that this wonderful site was given up.
Carol Lingo

United States

#7 Jan 6, 2009
I put these comments in the original questions by Troyu, sorry, but my computer wasn't working too good and I am computer dysfunctional...

visited this site about 4 months ago and the building where the snack bar was is still there and also the building that we used for crafts in the 60's still exits as well as the old kitchen at the bottom of the hill below where the main building stood. Everything is gone. On the front law of the property stands an elementary school and school district headquarters for Green Lane.
I had wonderful times there in summer camp in the early 60's. What a pitty that this wonderful site was given up.
howard rooker

Montoursville, PA

#8 Jan 7, 2009
i lived at maranatha park from 78-84. i bought one of the cabins, but the township would not give any permits to fix up the homes we wanted to make for ourselves. also beaver construction, who sold the places lied to us about the place there was trouble with the water system from the time we moved in. the camp was torn apart by vandals before we moved in. mr depasquale should use his words wiser, because there were many nice people who lived there when i did. there may have been a few people that you would call vagabonds, but very few. the township wanted maranatha park but did not get it. that is why we were not allowed permits to fix the places. they own it now though. I knew a man who wanted to buy the main building and turn it into offices, but ran into the same problems we did. if the township would have worked with us it could have stayed a nice place. email me at howard.rooker@yahoo.com
Pastor Ron

Fair Lawn, NJ

#9 Jan 20, 2009
Thank you for clearing up some of the holes in the years regarding Maranatha, Mr. Rooker. It is good to hear that some wanted to try to use the land as a habitable place. For many people, such as myself, it was a very special facility. I would have no doubt there were troubles- I'm sure that was included in the decision when the college there decided to move. When I visit the area today I am so glad to see how well maintained- I can walk through and enjoy pleasant memories
angie from camp

Teaneck, NJ

#10 Feb 17, 2009
hello, I spent every summer in Green Lane from the time I was old enough to go to kid's camp. After that, it was youth camp, and I eventually attended VFCC, as most of the leadership in my church had attended EBI & NBI in years previous.

I stayed in the dorms when I was little, but in youth camp I stayed at the Murphy's cabin w/ the pastor's daughter Debbie.

It seems someone posting here is looking for heror her family. Feel free to email me, I'd love to walk down memory lane.
Angie (emailroyalty@comcast.net)
rich murphy

Gardners, PA

#11 Feb 17, 2009
Bruce Schenkel wrote:
Maranatha park was an insitution for me an my friends. We would always be over there,during youth camp family camp,ect. I remember making alot
of friends there, people from NY, NJ, and PA. This
was in the 1970's, playing softball in back of the
tabernackle, and the goodies at the snackshop. I
really remember someone named Debbie Murphy and all the good time we had there. I remember she had
a cabin there. Everytime I hear a song from that
era, I just sit there and remember. please, any one that remembers Maranatha Park, E-Mail me at
cdschenkel@hotmail.com.
bruce i remember you a little i was only abotu 10 then deb is my sister. green lane was a lot of fun wish it was still there anyway deb says hello ezpasser@yahoo.com
Phil Beith

Buffalo, NY

#12 Feb 21, 2009
I spent every summer, back in the 40's at Maranatha Park. My mother would rent one of the cabins. My sister graduated from EBI. I remember walking down to the river and catching mud turtles. I was there when World War II ended. My how we prayed in sawdust floor prayer room. Looking for Bobby Donald who went on to be a missionary pilot.
Great memories as a little boy.
Lynn Zerr

Blue Bell, PA

#13 Mar 6, 2009
I spent summers at Maranatha Park as a kid. My family attended an Assembly of God church in Fleetwood, PA which is about an hour drive from Green Lane. In the summer, our pastor would cancel Sunday evening services so we could all attend camp meetings in "Green Lane." I remember Pastor Tommy Barnett ( http://www.phoenixfirst.org/ )was one of the guest speakers and I also remember The Couriers Quartet was a regular "attraction." (Everyone LOVED The Couriers.) Dino Kartsonakis, "America's Piano Showman," played piano there during youth camp. Many "Who's Who" of Christian circles stood on the tabernacle stage.
When I was a teenager I attended two weeks of summer camp every year and stayed in the cabins. One thing I distinctly remember is the pungent smell of the water. I guess there was a heavy concentration of sulfer. Needless to say, showers were almost unbearable (smelled like rotten eggs). I don't know how the residents could handle drinking the water. The snack bar was a hopping place after the church services.In any event, it was a summer event that everyone looked forward to. Those of us who have had the privilege to experience Maranatha Camp will always remember it with special fondness.
John Sorbo

Fayette, IA

#14 Mar 16, 2009
I haven't thought about "camp" in years. I don't quite know why I did today. A little time spent on Google brought me here.

I was there every year from 1966 till 1975. First kids camp staying in the lodges then the cabins. Then on to youth camp and staying above the kitchen at the bottom of the hill.

The last couple of years I was there working in the kitchen during kids camp then staying for youth camp.

Some of my memories are playing softball, shooting bb guns (sometimes at each other), the archery range (I still shoot the bow I used to bring to camp), one year I won the greased pig contest and was awarded a watermellon.

The Couries were something that I loved. I had all the records. I played in the band on stage and sang in the choir. How could I forget the KAZZOO band?

There are only a few names I remember from back then and I haven't seen any here. Looking back it was a good time in my life. I didn't always think that way but it was.
DeeDee Candel Patrick

Miami, FL

#15 Jul 11, 2009
If anyone is interested in sharing further and maybe building some cool memory albums.. there is a Maranatha Park Facebook page out there you can join. My family was there every summer from probably the 1940s - its closing. If you have a facebook page do a search for Maranatha Park in Green Lane and join the Fan Club.. can't wait to see the pictures we all post! BTW - my married name is Lydia Candel Patrick
Christine Ciotti Soto

Goochland, VA

#16 Sep 30, 2010
Pastor Gary
I am doing research on Maranatha camp and saw your e-mail…..
Are we stating that the tabernacle is gone?

My name is Christine Ciotti Soto, I worked in the kitchen from the time I was 12 to 17….I was camp Queen in 1969-1970….
I do not think it strange that people are being drawn to a time when we were taught to pray…As I believe an awakening is happening in the earth…and it is being brought about by prayer……

I would buy that camp ground today and restore it to a place of prayer once again….but has the tabernacle been torn down? Lord forgive us for not understanding our heritage
gary depasquale wrote:
My family was associated with Maranatha Park since the 20's. I spent my eary childhood summer days at the park. The commhnity there was great. We were all family and looked forward to getting together with all my fellow campers. The memories of the ringing of the bell that would announce service was about to begin...and meeting up with families as we all walked to the great tabernacle to meet with the Lord. It was glorious even as a child. Around the summer of 78 we recieved the word that the PennDell district of the A/G was going to sell the property to rasie funds for a conference center in another part of the state. The emotions of everyone ran very high with the reality of after all these years were going to lose our beutiful piece of history. cont...
Christine Ciotti Soto

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#17 Dec 16, 2010
Has anyone ever approached the VFCC to have a reunion?
gary depasquale wrote:
Christine Ciotti Soto

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#18 Dec 16, 2010
Has anyone ever approached the VFCC to have a reunion at the university....email me at christina@solutions4it.biz
Lilian Neede

Paramaribo, Suriname

#19 Dec 23, 2010
Does anyone remember the Rev. John Tubbs as general manager of the Maranatha Campgrounds in the late fifties? Does anyone know how to contact his children? Please let me know: godswomanunveiled at gmail.com
Jessica

Portland, CT

#20 Apr 28, 2011
I lived there as a child in '84. Does anyone have pictures of the cabins after they were turned into low income houses?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Lane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bucks DA: Cosmo DiNardo, person of interest in ... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Derps Die Young 5
News Cosmo DiNardo, Center of Bucks Probe and Real E... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Anthony Bourdain 1
News No human remains but evidence found in search f... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Anthony Bourdain 1
Main Street/Route 29/Gravel Pike Red HIll, P... (Apr '17) Apr '17 johan 2
News Busch Gardens' original burgermeister, Robert B... (Nov '09) Oct '16 Daniel Regan 4
News Montco babysitter gets jail time for pulling te... (Sep '16) Sep '16 AAD 1
News Two charged in Quakertown burglary (Jun '12) Sep '16 HaterzgonnaHATE 5

Green Lane Jobs

Personal Finance

Green Lane Mortgages