Family identifies man shot and killed...

Family identifies man shot and killed by Green Bay police

There are 41 comments on the The Journal Times story from Apr 22, 2007, titled Family identifies man shot and killed by Green Bay police. In it, The Journal Times reports that:

GREEN BAY, Wis. - The man shot and killed by Green Bay police early Saturday has been identified as 25-year-old Ben Sonnenberg of Green Bay. via The Journal Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Journal Times.

J Micheau

Inverness, FL

#21 Feb 16, 2008
I also want to point out that I am a citizen of brown county, wi and reident of Allouez. I travel
all over the United States. I often see the best and worst of all people. I am also proud of our area because of our citizenry and their cooperation with police.
A Friend

Green Bay, WI

#22 Apr 19, 2008
Almost a year that he's been gone. The thought of Ben not being here still makes me cry. RIP Ben! U will never be forgotten!
Yikes

United States

#23 Apr 20, 2008
you are right. i have not been able to stop laughing about it yet either...
cousin

Green Bay, WI

#24 Apr 21, 2008
today marks the 1yr anv. of the shooting. Rest in peace.
Yikes

Gary, IN

#25 Apr 25, 2008
so? we really want to celebrate the actions of someone that was drunk and doing drugs, put others lives in danger and then "goes out like a warrior"? oh wait, he was turning his life around...
JJJK

AOL

#26 Oct 22, 2008
Why don't you tell the whole story not just half of it. Your brother was running to get a shot gun to kill the officers that you think were unjustifed. So if you are going to tell a story you should let everyone know the whole truth!
christopher r potter wrote:
I would first like to say Rest in Peace to Adam Brown also a VICTIM of a fatal Police shooting in Brown County on December 1st of 2006.
Again as is Ben's case A.J's shooting was INVESTIGATED WITHIN the same DEPARTMENT of the shooters.
A.J. was what the police call a gangster..........
he was an honorable family man Working extremely hard to be a contributing member of society
working as a welder 40-60 hours a week. still he felt the need to protect himself..
when the "drug Task Force" executed an arrest warrant for one of his friends who was living with him at the time.........
"A stolen X Box Video Game System" was the reason for the 4 DTF Agents to enter the house with automatic weapons
The officers ran quickly past Matt Stone whom the warrant was for.....up the stairs to adam's beedroom and shot him 4 times......taking his life
as was ben he was loved by many....i miss my brother.......and i feel for ben's family
I had the honor to meet ben's father, sister, and baby's mother........
These UNJUSTIFIED deaths by the hands of those here to "PRotect" us....are crimes against humanity
the police who shot ben sonnenberg.....were put on adminstrative duty for.........3 1/2 days.....and ARMED, and put back on patrol
HAVEN't We EVER HEARD of an INTERNAL INVESTIGATIon's DEPARTMENT
Coincidence..........the District Attorney who wrote Ben's death off as a SUICIDE BY Cop.........and A.J's required no further investigation..........prosecu ted both of the boys previously.....and failed miserably......The D.A. got his justice for his past failure
WHERE IS JUSTICE For A.J. and BEN
gbwildcat

Green Bay, WI

#27 Feb 20, 2009
SUNDAY, April 22, 2007, 8:29 p.m.
By Bob Purvis

Man shot in attempted robbery
A 27-year-old man was shot in the leg during an armed robbery attempt on the north side tonight, according to police radio traffic.

The man told police he was approached by two men in an alley in the 3000 block of N. 40th St. who demanded money and then shot him in the leg before fleeing.

The man was taken to Froedtert Hospital to be treated for his wound and so far no arrests have been made in the shooting, police said.
gbwildcat

Green Bay, WI

#28 Feb 20, 2009
what i just posted is bull shit
cousin

Green Bay, WI

#29 Apr 21, 2010
4yrs since the shooting and still no answers the HELL is the gbpd trying to stall so that his family might forget about the shooting. well this is one family member that WONT forget about it. REST IN PEACE BEN JAMES SONNENBERG

“Bouncin's what Tiggers do best”

Since: Jan 09

Appleton, WI

#30 Apr 23, 2010
cousin wrote:
4yrs since the shooting and still no answers the HELL is the gbpd trying to stall so that his family might forget about the shooting. well this is one family member that WONT forget about it. REST IN PEACE BEN JAMES SONNENBERG
Here is the only answer you need and will ever get. Your cousin was an IDIOT. He was always in trouble and was NOT turning his life around. He wanted to go out like a "warrior". Well he went out alright...

Deal with it...

Yer Dum
smart ass

Waterloo, Canada

#31 Dec 5, 2010
Let's take a moment to do a quick comparison

Virgin.....doesn't get any significant action
Green Bay Cops like the virgin get no action either

Virgin...picks up a drunk chick and takes her home....she gets half way undressed and now its time foe action "thinks the virgin". He pulls it out "yes finally some action" and fuckin busts everywhere making a huge mess and ruining his life....he won't live this Down

GB police pull behind taxi door flies open "finally some action" thinks the little piggy the situation is half unfolded and he pulls it out (gun) and. prematurely busts all kinds of bullets everywhere

Both the virgin n the GB cops got a bit too excited and made a big mess.

Virgin says don't tell anybody anything about this and mops it up.

Commanding officer says don't say anything to anybody about this reaches out and used the PD towel wipes the mess up without getting anything on the blue wall?

Internal investigations. Hmmm does anybody know the specifics behind attempting to start a private firm to conduct these Very sensitive cases. There's no way it was even investigated by GBPD they sure didn't have much paperwork. Freedom of Information act! Request the info in writing they deny keep trying

Greenville, WI

#32 Jan 13, 2011
smart ass wrote:
Let's take a moment to do a quick comparison
Virgin.....doesn't get any significant action
Green Bay Cops like the virgin get no action either
Virgin...picks up a drunk chick and takes her home....she gets half way undressed and now its time foe action "thinks the virgin". He pulls it out "yes finally some action" and fuckin busts everywhere making a huge mess and ruining his life....he won't live this Down
GB police pull behind taxi door flies open "finally some action" thinks the little piggy the situation is half unfolded and he pulls it out (gun) and. prematurely busts all kinds of bullets everywhere
Both the virgin n the GB cops got a bit too excited and made a big mess.
Virgin says don't tell anybody anything about this and mops it up.
Commanding officer says don't say anything to anybody about this reaches out and used the PD towel wipes the mess up without getting anything on the blue wall?
Internal investigations. Hmmm does anybody know the specifics behind attempting to start a private firm to conduct these Very sensitive cases. There's no way it was even investigated by GBPD they sure didn't have much paperwork. Freedom of Information act! Request the info in writing they deny keep trying
Lets take a moment to do another quick comparison...

smart ass? dumb ass?

Yup, pretty much one in the same. Well, except smart ass is most likely even dumber than a traditional dumb ass.

Need I say it? Nope, it's self explanatory...
The Whole Story

Appleton, WI

#33 May 24, 2011
You forgot to mention that Adam pointed a shot gun at the officer that shot him. That seems like a relevant part of the sequence of events in that incident. I know it was not loaded, but no one can not look down the barrel of a weapon and figure out if its loaded and still have time to fire and stop the threat before he or she is shot.
NE1sGuess

Wausau, WI

#34 May 30, 2011
Really TWS? Were you there or is that just something you read in the newspaper or saw on TV?
Have you read the reports from the 2 cops involved? If you had you would KNOW...
As far as the WHOLE story, remember Adam is DEAD; No one ever got to hear HIS side.
concerned

Crivitz, WI

#35 Nov 14, 2011
What ever happened to protect and serve. Everyone is afforded this service from our tax monies. Even the disturbed and mentally unstable. I have been an avid gun owner for more than 35 years and this was definitely a big mistake by the police, they put just as many people in harms way as they say this man did.
law enforcement student wrote:
first of all, i hope you were kidding about cops being over paid, second, you all need a life, im also a member of this fine countrys armed forces and the only people who can bad mouth officers or military personnel are the ones who are incompetent and dont understand the job, so until you decide to pay the ultimate sacrifice for serving and protecting, dont say another word!! the reason he was shot so many times is because its a natural reaction and if youve ever shotten a weapon or shotten at something to kill it, you would know that with a semi automatic weapon, much like GBPD officers use, you can get off 10 shots PER PERSON in the matter of 3-5 seconds, it takes about that long for your brain to get the message that the threat is stopped and not everyone is an expert shooter, some dont hit the target with every shot in a situation like that, so there may be alot of shots, long story short, do some reading or research before all of you criticize how trained and experienced officers do there friggen job!! get a life folks, these are the same people you call upon to save your life or help you in a time of need, and i have had bad experiences with law officers, but its how the legislators tell them to do there job!! im out! green bay, wi law enforcement student

Neenah, WI

#36 Feb 19, 2012
concerned...

If you were so concerned about "protect and serve" you would know that it is not something "afforded" to people with paid taxes. Protect and serve is a catch phrase painted on the side of police cars.

I bet you really believe that those football players in Minnesota are also really vikings, right?

Yer Dum
GBPD Police Raid

Green Bay, WI

#37 Feb 28, 2012
christopher r potter wrote:
I would first like to say Rest in Peace to Adam Brown also a VICTIM of a fatal Police shooting in Brown County on December 1st of 2006.
Again as is Ben's case A.J's shooting was INVESTIGATED WITHIN the same DEPARTMENT of the shooters.
A.J. was what the police call a gangster..........
he was an honorable family man Working extremely hard to be a contributing member of society
working as a welder 40-60 hours a week. still he felt the need to protect himself..
when the "drug Task Force" executed an arrest warrant for one of his friends who was living with him at the time.........
"A stolen X Box Video Game System" was the reason for the 4 DTF Agents to enter the house with automatic weapons
The officers ran quickly past Matt Stone whom the warrant was for.....up the stairs to adam's beedroom and shot him 4 times......taking his life
as was ben he was loved by many....i miss my brother.......and i feel for ben's family
I had the honor to meet ben's father, sister, and baby's mother........
These UNJUSTIFIED deaths by the hands of those here to "PRotect" us....are crimes against humanity
the police who shot ben sonnenberg.....were put on adminstrative duty for.........3 1/2 days.....and ARMED, and put back on patrol
HAVEN't We EVER HEARD of an INTERNAL INVESTIGATIon's DEPARTMENT
Coincidence..........the District Attorney who wrote Ben's death off as a SUICIDE BY Cop.........and A.J's required no further investigation..........prosecu ted both of the boys previously.....and failed miserably......The D.A. got his justice for his past failure
WHERE IS JUSTICE For A.J. and BEN
Out of the 49 drug search warrants issued in the Navarino Neighborhood since April of 2009 I wonder how many were completely innocent homes and families like my wife and myself. My wife has had her home on the 1400 block of chicago street for 36 years. We have been god loving people to everyone on the block. Over a dozen officers and CSI people raided our home in January of 2011. We understand mistakes can be made but then own up to it, don't lie about it! Also please don't lie saying all the neighbors want us out of the neighborhood and tell us our home is now a neighborhood nuisance property!

We've meet with the Captain of our Neighborhood and he completely ignored everything when we pointed out all the lies, and conflicts in reports of the officers.

We wonder what's next, raid from the SWAT Team. Maybe they'll be confused and shoot me for having a can of diet coke in my hand.

PS. Since the Neighborhood community officers like to search our garbage we put this note in each bag every week:
WE, THE HARD WORKING, HONEST, AND LOVING NEIGHBORS OF THE 1400 OF CHICAGO STREET PRAY SEVERAL TIMES A DAY FOR GREAT IMPROVEMENTS TO THE GREEN BAY POLICE DEPARTMENT. WE PRAY FOR NO MORE RAIDS ON INNOCENT FAMILIES, AND HOMES AGAIN!

Neenah, WI

#38 Mar 13, 2012
GBPD Police Raid wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of the 49 drug search warrants issued in the Navarino Neighborhood since April of 2009 I wonder how many were completely innocent homes and families like my wife and myself. My wife has had her home on the 1400 block of chicago street for 36 years. We have been god loving people to everyone on the block. Over a dozen officers and CSI people raided our home in January of 2011. We understand mistakes can be made but then own up to it, don't lie about it! Also please don't lie saying all the neighbors want us out of the neighborhood and tell us our home is now a neighborhood nuisance property!
We've meet with the Captain of our Neighborhood and he completely ignored everything when we pointed out all the lies, and conflicts in reports of the officers.
We wonder what's next, raid from the SWAT Team. Maybe they'll be confused and shoot me for having a can of diet coke in my hand.
PS. Since the Neighborhood community officers like to search our garbage we put this note in each bag every week:
WE, THE HARD WORKING, HONEST, AND LOVING NEIGHBORS OF THE 1400 OF CHICAGO STREET PRAY SEVERAL TIMES A DAY FOR GREAT IMPROVEMENTS TO THE GREEN BAY POLICE DEPARTMENT. WE PRAY FOR NO MORE RAIDS ON INNOCENT FAMILIES, AND HOMES AGAIN!
Remove tin foil hat.

Take two steps back.

Walk away slowly.

You're now cured...

Yer Dum
NevrMind

Appleton, WI

#39 May 20, 2012
Yer Dum wrote:
<quoted text>
Remove tin foil hat.
Take two steps back.
Walk away slowly.
You're now cured...
Yer Dum
Dear Yer Dum...

You're Dumb!

Man alive it's easy to sit back and wait to critique everybody like some self appointed, self-righteous sooth-sayer...

Piss off you moron!

Neenah, WI

#40 May 21, 2012
NevrMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Yer Dum...
You're Dumb!
Man alive it's easy to sit back and wait to critique everybody like some self appointed, self-righteous sooth-sayer...
Piss off you moron!
Really? That's the best you've got?

<cowering in the corner, shaking, in the fetal position>

Yer Dum

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are African Americans welcomed in Green Bay? (Feb '12) Jan 14 Fonja 28
Rejoice you down in the dumps cheese heads Jan 1 The Filament 1
FARVE out of re-tirement to replace a rogers..... Dec 23 Billy bob 1
Aaron Rodgers as Popular as Jesus? (Nov '11) Dec 23 Billy bob 15
Paul Ryan Dec '17 Innocent bystander 1
Paul Ryan needs to go Dec '17 Paul is a girly boy 2
Republicans say now no money for child health bii Dec '17 Non troll 1

Green Bay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance