Family identifies man shot and killed by Green Bay police

Apr 22, 2007 Full story: The Journal Times 41

GREEN BAY, Wis. - The man shot and killed by Green Bay police early Saturday has been identified as 25-year-old Ben Sonnenberg of Green Bay. via The Journal Times

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
MMAPS

Green Bay, WI

#1 Apr 24, 2007
I am frustrated with all the news about the young innocent 25 year old 'boy' who was shot by 4 police officer's in Green Bay. There may have been a 'reason' why they are stating they had to do what they did, however think about it....did they truly have to shoot him as many times as they did??????? Come on. If they felt the need that they had to shoot him, why not shoot him once in the leg to drop him in order to arrest him??? There is NO reason why they had to do what they did to the point that they did it. Those police offices should feel guilty and they owe the family an apology as they can not return that son back to his father. To me, they have his blood on their hands and they should be punished.
I also feel that the Green Bay police should not be doing their own investigation. Of course, they want themselves to look good and they do not want anyone else to find out the truth...the whole truth.
Michelle D

Plymouth, MN

#2 Apr 25, 2007
I presonally know Ben and this is a tradegy to his family and friends. he was just turning his life around and to be honest nothing makes since. Why would cops shoot so many rounds into a bar if they where concerned ben would hurt someone in that bar when he was running. He was running because he was on probation and refused to go to jail for nothing. Those who know Ben know the truth. like ron said, "it's a great day to be heaven" Ben is a good person and was roobed of getting a chance!
Kurt

Oshkosh, WI

#3 Apr 26, 2007
this is regarding mmaps comment on the officers in Green Bay; Those 4 officers were trained to "stop the threat" when using DEADLY force. The officers were doing what they were trained. There would be more problems if they would have shot him in the leg and wounded him rather than just killing him. The media would hten say, "Why wouldnt the officers shoot to kill?" Last time I checked a person can still shot a gun even if they have a leg wound. PS. who else do you want to investigate, Minneapolis!..they have enough shootings to investigate. Bottom Line, Im not trying to be a jerk, but you also have to realized officer's dont want to kill people, they are forced to. Please reply
a good friend

Milwaukee, WI

#4 May 2, 2007
This is regarding Kurts comment... That was my friend who was shot and no the cops shouldn't of killed him. the police were trained to shoot someone in the leg or arm not multiple times in the back and ribs!!!! Ben No. 29 may he R.I.P.
James

Louisville, KY

#5 May 2, 2007

You sound Ignorant. I understand that they are trained a certain way for certain situations. But its common sense. You donít open fire in front of a building with people walking in and out. Thatís calling for a disaster. PS...... Learn to have a heart!
Kurt wrote:
this is regarding mmaps comment on the officers in Green Bay; Those 4 officers were trained to "stop the threat" when using DEADLY force. The officers were doing what they were trained. There would be more problems if they would have shot him in the leg and wounded him rather than just killing him. The media would hten say, "Why wouldnt the officers shoot to kill?" Last time I checked a person can still shot a gun even if they have a leg wound. PS. who else do you want to investigate, Minneapolis!..they have enough shootings to investigate. Bottom Line, Im not trying to be a jerk, but you also have to realized officer's dont want to kill people, they are forced to. Please reply
Fred

Oshkosh, WI

#6 May 3, 2007
You sound Ignorant. I understand that they are trained a certain way for certain situations. But its common sense. You donít open fire in front of a building with people walking in and out. Thatís calling for a disaster. PS...... Learn to have a heart!

Ok, I can tell you a frickin' genious. Ever hear of the greater danger theory? Simply stated if it is likely that police caused injuries will be the lessor evil as opposed to the criminal's then they are allowed to open fire. This came out of Columbine because the cops didn't react fast enough. Now let Mr. Buttmunch take a shot at a cop and run into a crowded bar. Yeah, they should have shot at him until he stopped, no matter how many shots it took. Jerkoff got what he wanted. It's known as suicide by cop or SBC. Go google it and quit making the cops look like they're the bad guys here. & by the way James, having a heart doesn't keep your ass alive on the street.
Daniel Harmon III

Neenah, WI

#7 May 12, 2007
Look at the demographics of Green Bay. You have aldermen that claim the city is unsafe because of the ethic diversity it now has. But know you have yet another shooting by the Green Bay Police, but there is no race card for anyone to play. Now you must play the I thought he had a gun. Keyword THOUGHT. You open fire on a man that reportedly has a bat, yes a bat. No information given to the Police at the time of the shooting implicated the thought that the young man had a gun and knife, or even a screw driver. Simply put a bat is big and can be seen without question. So many people are quick to say that there is justification, however had it been their child or your child what would you then say? 45% of people that run away from officers do so because of fear and out of those 45%, 43% have no charges and have never been arrested. None of you have had an officer pull and gun on you and drag you out of a car because you fit a discription only for them to find that your not who they are looking for. This has happened to me. The only thing in common I had with who they were looking for is that we both were black. But when they look to see, Oh this young man ran for city alderman, or he has a year left of college, or he owns his own business, they get quite quick. Now FRED, SBC you compare Columbine to Ben. Yeah you should like the genious. One at Columbine the police were called after the shooting began, which means there is no doubt that there would be more shots. Two run to the police with a gun is completly different than run away with no weapon at all. I challenge anyone who post on this site to justify this shooting!
Brandon Kurowski

Appleton, WI

#8 May 18, 2007
Some of you might know ben as a friend but I KNOW BEN CAUSE HE WAS MY COUSIN. Fred what does Columbine have to do with the shooting of my cousin??????? Here is a little info Ben was SHOT MORE THEN 11 TIMES if u could go to the crime scene the day after the shooting u would see nothing but bullit holes along the street.

P.S.... THANK YOU ALL FOR POSTING ABOUT THE SHOOTING.

SUNRISE MAY,18 1981
SUNSET APRIL,21 2007
REST IN PEACE BEN!!!!!!!!!!
Suicide by citizen

Appleton, WI

#9 Jun 2, 2007
The Green Bay police operate like Nazis.They are not trained properly and are VERY arrogant. If you have A problem with them they will do an investigation... done by ANOTHER GREEN BAY COP! How brilliant... There must be A disinterested party to "investigate" these complaints. People standup and get these jokers out! including the Green Bay police commission. Do you think they will find their own fellow Nazis guilty of anything? Ask for A lie detector test to be administered and see what response you get. I would trust Any gang member before A GreenBay cop. I do respect the police but not the bullies in the GreenBay nazi party.
Suicide by citizen

Appleton, WI

#10 Jun 2, 2007
If the GB cops are so damn gun happy send them to Iraq and lets see how tough they are when someone can shoot back. I'll pay for their body bags personally.
We the people

Appleton, WI

#11 Jun 5, 2007
I am very familiar with small arms and if these "peace" officers were close enough to put so many bullets into that kid, they were close enough to see if he had a weapon or not.
The investigation was a joke. No way one cop is going to implicate another in a crime.
Independant, overseeing agencies are badly needed on all levels of law enforcment to investigate criminal abuses such as this.
Our state government should be petitioned to make internal investigations such as this one unlawful.
christopher r potter

Mission, KS

#12 Jul 1, 2007
I would first like to say Rest in Peace to Adam Brown also a VICTIM of a fatal Police shooting in Brown County on December 1st of 2006.

Again as is Ben's case A.J's shooting was INVESTIGATED WITHIN the same DEPARTMENT of the shooters.

A.J. was what the police call a gangster..........

he was an honorable family man Working extremely hard to be a contributing member of society

working as a welder 40-60 hours a week. still he felt the need to protect himself..

when the "drug Task Force" executed an arrest warrant for one of his friends who was living with him at the time.........
"A stolen X Box Video Game System" was the reason for the 4 DTF Agents to enter the house with automatic weapons

The officers ran quickly past Matt Stone whom the warrant was for.....up the stairs to adam's beedroom and shot him 4 times......taking his life

as was ben he was loved by many....i miss my brother.......and i feel for ben's family

I had the honor to meet ben's father, sister, and baby's mother........

These UNJUSTIFIED deaths by the hands of those here to "PRotect" us....are crimes against humanity

the police who shot ben sonnenberg.....were put on adminstrative duty for.........3 1/2 days.....and ARMED, and put back on patrol

HAVEN't We EVER HEARD of an INTERNAL INVESTIGATIon's DEPARTMENT

Coincidence..........the District Attorney who wrote Ben's death off as a SUICIDE BY Cop.........and A.J's required no further investigation..........prosecu ted both of the boys previously.....and failed miserably......The D.A. got his justice for his past failure

WHERE IS JUSTICE For A.J. and BEN
Amorde1

Green Bay, WI

#13 Jul 4, 2007
If Thats not food for thought what is?
Bob

United States

#14 Jul 25, 2007
Kurt wrote:
All cops are killers. Nazi's. Self proclaimed heros. Nothing but trash that can't get a real job
Bob

United States

#15 Jul 25, 2007
All cops are killers. They get off on it like some people get off with sex or drugs. Is there any other "profession" (which I use the term loosly)that proclaims themselves as "Heros"? They are over paid, under educated bullies. There are currently two cases in northern Virginia where cops have shot first and in one case by accident, leaving two young adults dead. I say we have the right to question authority and we have the right to know the histories of the people who call themselves "law enforcement officers". Officers of what? I call them shit!
Yikes

Belmar, NJ

#16 Aug 6, 2007
My God there are more crazy people in this world then I originally thought! Nice people, why dont we just get rid of all the police because it is obvious that according to the majority here that they are the problem. Go see a shrink and get some meds, seriously!
Normal

Luzerne, PA

#17 Aug 14, 2007
Are you all insane. Everybody knows everything. Cops are overpaid. NYPD rookie: 25,500 a year to start. Most cops can't afford to live in the towns that they work.
I've had guns pointed at me on two occasions and the fear and panic you feel are impossible to describe. You loose control of your fine motor skills. You don't aim at a leg or arm. You point at the largest part of the body, center mass, and shoot until the threat is gone. If you think that cops are walking around looking to kill people your nuts. Oh yeah, let's kill someone tonight and then go through months of investigation, tons of biased media coverage, sleepless nights, second guessing, endless endless lawsuits, no loans or financial transactions until the suits are settled, possible job loss, jail time, and on and on and on. I never read more non-sense written by dreamworld azzholes in my life. Do cops screw-up sure, are some cops jerkoffs, yes. But to say they are blood thirsty thugs who want to kill is ridiculous. And suggesting they count shots or aim for extremities is not even possible. I'll tell you what jackazz, put on a uniform, take on the responsibility/liability and show us how it's done. You don't have the guts, compasion, or itelligence. Judging by what you have printed here I can say this with absolute certainty. So sit there behind that PC in your bedroom and take comfort in the fact that there's a man or woman who works in a field that is up against all odds, watched and judge by all, required to act immediately, underpaid, overworked, and expected to act on and off the job. Take comfort because no matter what you say here, in the national media, or just to a friend, they would at the least hear what you have to say if you wanted to vent, and would surely risk there life (for a national 35,000.00 a year average) to save yours.
Amorde1

Green Bay, WI

#18 Aug 18, 2007
Some have been touched and not by angels, Seek help,,, NOW!
law enforcement student

Green Bay, WI

#19 Nov 21, 2007
first of all, i hope you were kidding about cops being over paid, second, you all need a life, im also a member of this fine countrys armed forces and the only people who can bad mouth officers or military personnel are the ones who are incompetent and dont understand the job, so until you decide to pay the ultimate sacrifice for serving and protecting, dont say another word!! the reason he was shot so many times is because its a natural reaction and if youve ever shotten a weapon or shotten at something to kill it, you would know that with a semi automatic weapon, much like GBPD officers use, you can get off 10 shots PER PERSON in the matter of 3-5 seconds, it takes about that long for your brain to get the message that the threat is stopped and not everyone is an expert shooter, some dont hit the target with every shot in a situation like that, so there may be alot of shots, long story short, do some reading or research before all of you criticize how trained and experienced officers do there friggen job!! get a life folks, these are the same people you call upon to save your life or help you in a time of need, and i have had bad experiences with law officers, but its how the legislators tell them to do there job!! im out! green bay, wi law enforcement student
J Micheau

Clearwater, FL

#20 Feb 16, 2008
It seems to me that every time the police in Green Bay shoot some downtrodden person in Green Bay, The police issue a statement that the shooting was textbook. I always thought that the police were there to protect the lives of all citizens, mentally stable or otherwise. I aggree that the lives of our police are sacred too. But it seems they always react with deadly force to protect themselves against people who may not need deadly force used against them. Somtimes the police need to protect people from themselves. The hero part of the police job demands taking extrordinary actions to save people in crisis from themselves.
The goal is that all life is sacred even the life of the least of us. The public should be working with our police to find measures that are safe to all citizens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McCarthy Worst Coach in NFL History 17 hr ROFLMAO 2
Packers Need To Hire Male Head Coach 17 hr Embarrassed Packe... 3
Review: Runaway Scissors (Sep '13) Jan 27 jill 3
Which America team will win on Sunday the cowbo... Jan 19 The Truth 4
Riverside Animal Hospital (Jan '13) Jan 15 kody 9
Review: Waldo Inc Jan 7 anonymous 2
Are African Americans welcomed in Green Bay? (Feb '12) Jan 1 jjj 20
Green Bay Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Green Bay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:24 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:24PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet