The Greeley Grizzler

“The Greeley Grizzler”

Since: Jul 11

Greeley

#1 Feb 1, 2012
As those of you who follow the Hatches, Matches, and Dispatches section of the local news already know, the City (and the Nation for that matter) just lost a wonderful citizen. Her name was Shirley Brand or, "You can just call me Shirl" as she always said. Shirl was a close friend to Gladys and I and she will be sorely missed.
In her early years as a young woman Shirl helped the war effort by doing factory work as highlighted in the book "Doing my part" (written many years later) by Teresa Funk. The book is loosley based on on many of her experiences.
Later in life Shirl was a Kindergarten teacher for many years. Some of you may have read or heard of the book, "All I really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten" By Robert Fulghum, which pretty much summed up Shirl's impact on an entire generation of her graduates.
Then there was Christmas, Shirl loved Christmas, in fact, Shirl and friends were known as "Flakes" to each other during the Holiday. "All my friends are Flakes", she used to say. In fact, it was not at all uncommon to open a Christmas Card from Shirl and find many sparkling snowflakes would fall out as well. If that's what a flake is, may we have many more just like her.
We'll miss you Shirl.
That's Gladys' and my opinion and you're entitled to it.
Griz and Glad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Greeley Aug 1 Amanda 6
People suck! Jul 27 Dlphngrl75 1
News Two men indicted in Greeley sex slave network Jul '17 Tawpix 1
How well do you know your neighbers Jul '17 Pber2279 1
News Marlando Talamantes, 26 - Fort Morgan Times (Jun '10) May '17 Noe Rodriguez 3
Greeley schools Apr '17 Ramirez 1
Small piece of ground to rent for RV? Apr '17 Narnim 1

Greeley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeley Mortgages