I don't know how she does it! I (in case you haven't already noticed), am far more selfish. I squirm at the thought of being around those I,(for lack of a better term) dislike. I avoid conflict like the plague, while she on the other hand, can walk right up to someone (whom I had thought had made an enemy of themselves) and be the most gracious person I have ever known. That sums up Gladys in a nutshell.
For this (and many other reasons), I listen to what she has to say, not just hear, but really listen. I always consider her opinion in any decision I have to make. Now I don't do this because I'm afraid of her (which I'm not....well maybe just a little bit). No, it's more than that.
Just as with a close friend, over time you begin to realize that person's value and understand they have only your best interests at heart. A track record develops and you find wisdom from them has guided you down successful paths. I guess what I'm trying to say is (over our many years of marriage), Gladys has become my best friend.
Now you may be asking yourself, where's the old guy going with all this stuff? I'm glad you asked that. You see, the next holiday coming up,(yes there's another one already), is due in just 3 short weeks. Before you run to your calendar to prove me wrong, I'll remind you. It's Valentine's Day on February 14th for the more dense among us,(I'm speaking of course, about us men). The reason I remind you of this 3 weeks early, is so that (when the day is upon us) you won't find yourself running around some store, trying to figure out what YOUR Gladys might like.
The way I look at it, this is the one chance we have all year, to express how grateful we are for the person with whom we have been blessed to walk through life with. We should make the most of it.
That's my opinion and you're entitled to it.
Griz.