Salzman Shoe Repair turns 77.

Salzman Shoe Repair turns 77.

Posted in the Greeley Forum

Ted Nordstrom

#1 May 1, 2012
I don't write much, as your about to see, but I think some things are worth telling and this story is one of them.
One day I was picking up a pair of boots from Salzman's, as I spoke to the lady at the counter I realized that there was a real story behind the little old shoe repair store downtown that was a real gem.
It seems that way back somewhere between 1914, the beginning of the First World War, and 1917, the beginning of the Communist Revolution, the Salzman family found themselves in a terrible fix over in Russia. They were Germans that had come to Russia to work and live, but when war broke out the Russian Government wanted them to fight, which isn't unusual except that the Russian Government had promised Germans that they would never have to fight for the Russia. I guess this is a pretty well known fact around this area as there are many German/Russian immigrant families still living here now.
Where the story takes an interesting turn from other families, however, is that the Salzman family managed to escape before the Revolution which brings us back to the existance of Salzman Shoe Repiar today. No doubt, had they stayed, the family would have finished out their days behind the Iron Curtain and missed all the opportunities that this area has afforded them to this very day.
According to the lady behind the counter, who I now know to be Mrs. Salzman, part owner with her husband whose family came over from Russia, when the first family owner, John Salzman, opened the shoe repair store there were 11 others in town, of those original 11 only Salzman's remains some 77 years later.
Now durring these election days where everyone talks about remaking America, I have to stop and think to myself, with stories like these, does America really need remaking? You don't hear many stories like thes anymore but maybe the press should look a little harder before labeling the Nation a lost cause.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
###Anyone know either Froman brother ...... Mik... (Sep '10) Dec '17 Missiwilli 8
News Weld women are good choices to be judge (Jul '07) Dec '17 Mama Bear17 26
what are the cops doing Nov '17 ANIMALITY 1
How well do you know your neighbers (Jul '17) Nov '17 MorningBreath 2
News Weld County Samaritan stops to help women, is r... Nov '17 MorningBreath 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Greeley (Jun '17) Oct '17 Sara Tait 9
People suck! (Jul '17) Sep '17 Pan399 3

Greeley Jobs

Personal Finance

Greeley Mortgages