Couple killed when logging truck flips

Couple killed when logging truck flips

There are 30 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Nov 19, 2007, titled Couple killed when logging truck flips. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A semitrailer carrying a load of logs overturned and collided with western Indiana couple's pickup truck, killing both of them, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Registered Voter

AOL

#1 Nov 19, 2007
While following a log truck a few years ago in Southern Indiana, I witnessed the right side wheels come off the ground as it was going through a curve. A minivan with a woman and small children was in the oncoming lane and came sooooooo close to being crushed under that rig before the habd of God brought those wheels safely to the roadway. Excessive speed and probable overloading was definitely a factor that day. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't contribute to the deaths of the Strains. Sad.
Afraid

Clarksburg, IN

#2 Nov 19, 2007
These trucks scare me to death and this is why! I dealt with this gentlemen on an almost daily basis through my business and this is a devastating tragedy for many! This couple will be greatly missed by many. Teamsters lost a great representative on Friday.
mikie

Danville, IN

#3 Nov 19, 2007
they are nuts on hwy 43 between spencer and bloomington.

running with no straps, overloaded and crossing double yellow lanes. The road is not safe for trailers over 40 feet.
Sean

United States

#4 Nov 19, 2007
That stretch of 63 is bad. For a state highway, there are many 90 degree turns that you don't expect if you infrequently travel that road.
rick

Terre Haute, IN

#5 Nov 19, 2007
Dead mans curve on indiana 63 ,south of praieton. Its a good name for it.They should drug test that driver of the log truck, teamster or not
Dubbyaa

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Nov 19, 2007
Indiana is a good state for trucks to speed in. If he were going the speed limit, they would still be alive.
Old Guy

Prospect, OH

#7 Nov 19, 2007
In our travels, we see the 18 wheeler drivers getting crazier every year. Companies put far too much pressure on a driver to make irresponsible schedules, all for the sake of making more money. Trucking companies and drivers alike, should be held leagally responsible for these kind of accidents. Teamsters need to get tough on speed and weight limits. Police your own, and stop killing people!
sad

Carmel, IN

#10 Nov 19, 2007
sad
Buffalo Bill

Hardinsburg, IN

#11 Nov 19, 2007
OK, the tragedy happened Friday. Today is Monday and the truck driver is still NOT identified.. What's the big secret, INdy Star?????????
blackhawk

Redmond, WA

#12 Nov 19, 2007
Old Guy wrote:
In our travels, we see the 18 wheeler drivers getting crazier every year. Companies put far too much pressure on a driver to make irresponsible schedules, all for the sake of making more money. Trucking companies and drivers alike, should be held leagally responsible for these kind of accidents. Teamsters need to get tough on speed and weight limits. Police your own, and stop killing people!
we need to quit paying drivers mileage. that is why they are speeding, because they get paid for each mile....hard to blame a guy for trying to make up the money he lost sitting in a traffic jam. the company benifits because they have a known cost to move freight-- its the driver that eats any delay.
'teamsters'? they are union truck drivers-- and they make hourly most of the time-- i think you are miss-using that term.'truck driver' covers it better.
i disagree with your sentiment about policing your own-- the urge to cut corners is too strong. humans need to be policed, period.
aaaaaaa

Kaukauna, WI

#13 Nov 19, 2007
blackhawk wrote:
<quoted text>
we need to quit paying drivers mileage. that is why they are speeding, because they get paid for each mile....hard to blame a guy for trying to make up the money he lost sitting in a traffic jam. the company benifits because they have a known cost to move freight-- its the driver that eats any delay.
'teamsters'? they are union truck drivers-- and they make hourly most of the time-- i think you are miss-using that term.'truck driver' covers it better.
i disagree with your sentiment about policing your own-- the urge to cut corners is too strong. humans need to be policed, period.
As of this summer we have mexican truck drivers on our roads too.
Get Julia OUT

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Nov 19, 2007
bla bla wrote:
hahahahahahaha
what is so funny? nothing i see
Mr Lucas

Louisville, KY

#15 Nov 19, 2007
I knew Max. He will be missed.
anonymous

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Nov 19, 2007
Get Julia OUT wrote:
<quoted text>
what is so funny? nothing i see
Because his name was Max Strain and he died from giant logs... Don't blame me, I'm not the one cracking the joke. Just pointing it out. It's sad that a freak accident like this occurred. And may his family be blessed.
JoAnn

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Nov 19, 2007
God bless these 2 people and help their families deal with this tragedy.

“Monkey See, Monkey Do”

Since: Oct 07

Indy

#18 Nov 19, 2007
God Bless this, God bless that...Did God bless them buy rolling a log truck over on them. Why do we give God credit for good and nada for bad? This is a terrible tragedy to be sure and I do not wish to detract from that. I just get tired of hearing all this "Hand of God" crap every time something like this happens.
Randy

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Nov 19, 2007
Damij wrote:
God Bless this, God bless that...Did God bless them buy rolling a log truck over on them. Why do we give God credit for good and nada for bad? This is a terrible tragedy to be sure and I do not wish to detract from that. I just get tired of hearing all this "Hand of God" crap every time something like this happens.
There someone goes blaming God again. God created a perfect world and gave man a free will. Leave it up to man to screw it up. This is an unfortunate trajedy. By the way who is the driver and who does he drive for? Let's make these people accountable.

“Monkey See, Monkey Do”

Since: Oct 07

Indy

#20 Nov 19, 2007
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
There someone goes blaming God again. God created a perfect world and gave man a free will. Leave it up to man to screw it up. This is an unfortunate trajedy. By the way who is the driver and who does he drive for? Let's make these people accountable.
I do not blame "God" for anything anymore than I blame "Zeus" I give FULL accountability to the people involved...God has nothing to do with it...or with us in general, for that matter...but you can go on believing in it if you like.

I just get tired of all the "God bless..." nonsense.
Concerned Citizen

Meadville, PA

#21 Nov 19, 2007
I am with some of the other people, people automatically jump to the conclusion that it is always the semi drivers fault. Granted, there are bad apples in the truck driving field, but their are bad apples in the regular vehicle traffic too, so does that mean all vehicle drivers are lousy? I noticed others had mentioned that if you do not travel that road very often, that some of the curves kind of sneak up on you, and who knows, the tire could have blown, his brakes could have failed and not slowed him down, the load could have shifted, the steering could have locked up, as you can see, do not judge the driver till you have all of the facts. One last thought, how many times have you been on a road that you do not travel very often and a tricky bend in the road shows up, if I was to judge you based on how I witnessed you going around that bend, without all the backs, I would have to say that you were a lousy driver too, but when I get all the details, I would then say, that person was not a lousy driver, but it was a poorly designed and poorly marked road, therefore you did the best you could, considering the circumstances.
Twin Peaks

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Nov 19, 2007
Logged to death. It's very clear--the Log Lady had something to do with it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
white trash (Sep '14) Jul 12 Hmm 15
Edwards Co Ambulance service Jun 26 AppalledCitizen 1
Looking for good adult time Jun 26 Big guy 3
Mexicans Jun '17 Unknown 1
meth banging hoes Jun '17 plzjusdont 1
Cumberland Co. Sheriffs Deputies Jun '17 Bren 1
News Wm. Nobbe & Co. Announces Acquisition of McLean... May '17 Speedy Gonzales 1

Grayville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grayville Mortgages