missed teachers
honestly

Ashland, KY

#81 Apr 15, 2009
LORI wrote:
Yes they need to start with the teachers and give them the best dam; good butt whipping they ever seen.then the bus drivers.and keep right on going I agree with you 100 percent.
Thats not teaching RESPECT... then What ?
castle77

Ashland, KY

#82 Apr 15, 2009
any old star rockets here
smb

Owingsville, KY

#83 Apr 15, 2009
mrs harper and don damron will always be the best
HES Alumni

Grayson, KY

#84 Apr 15, 2009
Lady Tiger wrote:
What about the "last day of school countdown" the 8th grade got to put over the board in Ms. Kouns' room? Was anyone else there the year we had to go to school on Saturday
I remember the Saturday we went to school and you have to love Jilda McDavid, Lois Bays, "Pecker" Evans, Ms. Kouns, oh and lets not forget Mrs. Womack....lol, seemed like everytime Mr. McDavid, or any man, came into the room she would drag out her lipstick and put it on...LOL

Let's not forget the cooks that worked so hard in the lunch room, like Murl Jackson, Eleanor Kouns, and the others.

Hitchins was the BEST!!!
SHE

Grayson, KY

#85 Apr 15, 2009
Yes the old school was great a school to remember some good times when people did go there for an education.it is sad that when they left the old school and combined schools things changed.ya it used to be good .
peapod

Lebanon, KY

#86 Apr 15, 2009
Ms.Roe at ECHS. She loved George Clooney and would always leave the room for her 4000 smoke breaks!
artist

Knox City, TX

#87 Apr 15, 2009
Mr Anglin ,,,, he had a way of what you were good at he could encourage and bring out the best in a person..
remember when

Elizabethtown, KY

#88 Apr 16, 2009
Carolyn Boggs, Berniece Virgin, Georgie Prichard, AnnaBelle Womack, Geneve Parsons, Jim Evans, Susie Kouns, they were all great.
wondering the same thing

Ashland, KY

#89 Apr 16, 2009
I guess one of my favorites was Deanna Phillips. She was a very positive influence for me. Whatever happened to Pootie Maggard, taugh PE at Prichard. Man she was tough, and of course, can't forget Wilma Prince, Doc Murphy,and the one teacher I probably learned the most from, Sally Satterly. If you want to go back to the old school, what about Gladys Prichard, Georgia McGuire, Arlene Scott, Margret Williams and another one that I like was Martha Fleming. You also cannot leave out Marie Lewis and Mary DeSantis. These teachers were tough, but you learned from then and you never forgot them.
remember when

Elizabethtown, KY

#90 Apr 16, 2009
The ones that we thought were tough and mean back then were really the ones that taught us the most and we appreciate now that we have grown up...
wondering the same thing

Ashland, KY

#91 Apr 16, 2009
Remember when, I agree with your comment. I think that's what's wrong with the world today. Most of our heroes are gone and we let them go without any appreciation or recognition.We really didn't know how good we had it. I just hope the young people of today stand up and take notice of what's important and take advantage of it before they lose it, because once it's gone you can never get it back.I hope it's not to late. I think that some of our teachers today need to go back to the old school and be reminded of why they are there, to teach and for the good of the children,not just a paycheck. I'm not saying this applies to all teachers, but some do need to be reminded.But, I'm not sure if it's the teachers or the system that has put so many restrictions on them,to the point they can't teach. I'm sure some of the things the old teachers did are the reasons we have some of the guidelines today,but what they did, didn't kill anyone and we learned. Not only did we learn reading, writing and arithmetic, but we learned life's lessons, as well.We learned self discipline, truth, honesty and RESPECT! Oh and by the way does anyone remember Ethel Huber Huff, the woman principal, at East Carter, when it was first built and they had 5th, 6th and 7th grade up there. Damn, she was tough.
man

Grayson, KY

#92 Apr 16, 2009
To wondering the same thing. you must really be old I mean gosh you can remember back that for! lol
remember when

Elizabethtown, KY

#93 Apr 16, 2009
First of all who cares how old you are, everyone has memories. I agree with all that (wondering the same thing) said. I also think that it has to come from the heart and that is hard to find in any one these days.
Hitchensgirl

Ashland, KY

#94 Apr 16, 2009
I just want to thank everyone for their beautiful memories. This is great reading all of these comments. I hope and pray my children have wonderful memories of their school when they get older. Thanks again everyone, your all great..
Hitchins People

Broken Arrow, OK

#95 Apr 16, 2009
I attended Hitchins Elementary and I also worked there. In all these years I have only good memories. Alot of people would look at some of the memories as bad, but I chalk it up to kids being kids.
dab

Ashland, KY

#96 Apr 20, 2009
Anybody from Prichard High remember running across the street to the Dippy Whip to grab lunch and then running back to school? You had to run to get there ahead of the crowd to order your food or you didn't have time to eat.
Joed

Grayson, KY

#97 Jun 27, 2009
I spent the fifth and sixth grades at East Carter before the building was ready for the high school. The kitchens weren't even completed at the beginning of that first year. No gym or playground equipment, no baseball or football fields. Seems like only yesterday though.
golden oldie

Wagoner, OK

#98 Jun 27, 2009
dab wrote:
Anybody from Prichard High remember running across the street to the Dippy Whip to grab lunch and then running back to school? You had to run to get there ahead of the crowd to order your food or you didn't have time to eat.
I remember that and also running up town to the Jackson Restaurant. Those definetely were the "good old days".
neighbor

Salyersville, KY

#99 Jun 27, 2009
Just in case anyone would like to know Lois Bays is still going strong.She has several books published,one she is still selling as of now.She is a great lady,loves her animals and im sure all of her students she ever had.I KNOW MY LIFE has been a better one due to the wonderful teachers I had growing up.

a
I remember when

Grayson, KY

#100 Jun 28, 2009
Hitchensgirl wrote:
Ms. Susie Kouns was great. She paddled me for talking when she was out of the room. She made us learn every bone in the body, all parts of sentences, and everything about english. But I will say, she made me UNDERSTAND parts of sentences. Something I thought I would never learn. Ms. Kouns, your the greatest........didn't like you then, but love and appreciate you so much now..
Do you remember learning al of those prepositions in order?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grayson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 3 min WasteWater 12,896
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr ChromiuMan 148,847
Rae Ann Jackson Jones (Sep '15) 6 hr Wondering 16
Robin Webb 7 hr James 1
DrunkFest 9 hr Sickofit 38
Bo Waggoner 20 hr Grayson citizen 19
bret adams (Jan '09) Thu Grayson citizen 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grayson Mortgages