Why does breast cancer get more support than other cancer forms?

Posted in the Grayson Forum

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Oct 6, 2012
Asking

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

I borrowed this from a user on Yahoo:

"I am a woman, and while I sympathize wholeheartedly with all cancer sufferers, having gone through Colon Cancer 8 years ago did not prompt me to want to sport a Brown Ribbon on my chest! Colon cancer is almost always lethal, but I happened to be one of the lucky ones who went to the doctor immediately when I noticed something was wrong and later didn't take "it will be a miracle if you get through this" for an answer. No one wants to think about Colon Cancer- it's embarrassing. It's in that dirty dark place where ones crap passes through. Who wants to think about that, let alone see it emblazoned on a coffee mug?! So, with that said, I feel that all the pink ribbons and pink merchandise (I've seen everything from dish sets to pen sets to pot holders in pink) makes it seem nothing more than a great marketing ploy for "Made in China" merchandise and it trivializes the disease of cancer. And of course I can't help but wonder how many women working in the factories cranking out these pink hair clips, pink tee shirts, etc, are not themselves suffering from cancers caused by all the chemicals in those factories?! Breast Cancer is not the ONLY type of cancer! Yet, because it is about breasts, that is where all the attention is drawn. While I was going through chemo I did not have hordes of people wearing brown tee shirts with "Support Colon Cancer Awareness Day" emblazoned across the front, written in intestinal-looking script! If I saw that I would have been horrified! Cancer is devastating, not only to the patients but also to the family and friends who helplessly watch their loved ones suffer, and sometimes die. The Pink Think mentality is doing a disservice to ALL those who are suffering from cancer.(and what about MEN with breast cancer? Pink? Really?)"

Think about it, do you really see much about March being National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, September being Prostate Awareness Month or November being Lung Cancer Awareness Month? Is it like the lady said and that breasts are more marketable than lung, colon, prostate and other cancers?

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/ @epidemiologysurveilance/docum ents/document/acspc-031941.pdf
Asking

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Sorry that the link didn't post, so try this one:

http://www.cancer.org/Research/CancerFactsFig...

click on "DOWNLOAD Cancer Facts & Figures 2012":
duh

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

Its because everybody loves boobs. Pretty simple.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

duh wrote:
Its because everybody loves boobs. Pretty simple.
I was gonna say the same thing! BOOOOOBIES! Save the Ta-Ta's
seriously

Grayson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Probably because it is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women in the United states !
Asking

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

seriously wrote:
Probably because it is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women in the United states !
For the 226,870 women diagnosed with breast cancer, 39,510 will die, where as the 113,910 diaganosed with lung cancer, 72,590 will die. So again, why not show support for the more deadly cancer?
options

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Asking wrote:
<quoted text>
For the 226,870 women diagnosed with breast cancer, 39,510 will die, where as the 113,910 diaganosed with lung cancer, 72,590 will die. So again, why not show support for the more deadly cancer?
Instead of whining about it, why don't 'you' do something about it. Due to the internet and all of the social groups, it is much easier now than ever to create awareness. It would be a great service to others. BTW,you spout numbers but you don't understand them. It's obvious that if people are diagnosed at twice the number as lung cancer...regardless of the outcome, there are twice as many patients and family members/friends, etc. to advocate on their behalf.
Asking

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

options wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of whining about it, why don't 'you' do something about it. Due to the internet and all of the social groups, it is much easier now than ever to create awareness. It would be a great service to others. BTW,you spout numbers but you don't understand them. It's obvious that if people are diagnosed at twice the number as lung cancer...regardless of the outcome, there are twice as many patients and family members/friends, etc. to advocate on their behalf.
Evidentally you didn't click the link to understand the numbers either. 241,740 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer compared to the 226,870 women diagnosed with breast cancer. So again why don't we do something for other forms of cancer?
well

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

Asking wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidentally you didn't click the link to understand the numbers either. 241,740 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer compared to the 226,870 women diagnosed with breast cancer. So again why don't we do something for other forms of cancer?
There's nothing stopping 'us'. We have to want to be as dedicated as the breast cancer awareness groups. If we're not, then we can't complain. Ordinary people organized and became bc awareness advocates...the same thing could happen for any other disease...we just have to choose action over whining. But honestly...more people would rather whine than do...so that makes it a slow process...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Grayson Forum right now

Search the Grayson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min wtf 147,251
qa blake at smithfield 25 min bowfinger 1
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Night Fury 129,042
mark elswick 8 hr siegfried 4
Tractor Supply Employee Named Pat 9 hr Farm Girl 41
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 9 hr Gfm 81,565
Places for rent 11 hr Steven 1
New restaurant 22 hr really 73
Road by taco bell Wed Wake up and smell the cof 70