First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Seriously

Russell, KY

#1 Dec 14, 2011
What is up with Coach Calhoun and the way he talks to the team?
He cusses and screams,throws objects and belittles the players.
What kind of coach is he trying to be? The boys are not going to respect a man like that. What is his qualifications for being a coach? From the looks of last nights game, he has none.
just wondering

Ashland, KY

#2 Dec 14, 2011
Thats the biggest problem with athletics right now. People like you sticking their noses where they dont belong. If you dont like it, keep you kid at home so he doesnt get his feelings hurt. God kids these days are huge Pussies. Keep up the good work Hounie! I listened to the game and I would have thrown stuff too.
Calhoun is a great coach

Russell, KY

#3 Dec 14, 2011
@just wondering great point. The sport of football teaches boys how to be men. I played under Calhoun for several years. He is a great coach.
Raider Fan

Ashland, KY

#4 Dec 14, 2011
I believe they are talking about the Calhoun that coaches basketball not football.
alumni

Knox City, TX

#5 Dec 14, 2011
i see he hasnt changed, lol maybe he needs to put a uniform on "for goodness sakes they are kids and they cant help it if they cant play up to his standards.."carter county athletics suck we need new coaches who doesnt make differences keep the politics out of the sports mine will never play for them he will go somewhere else as far as cussing and throwing things if it were the kids doing this they would be expelled and kicked off the team mr calhoun needs a attitude adjustment and grow up if you parents let him talk to your kids in this manner "you are nuts! step up and do something about it
Your Full of it

Ashland, KY

#6 Dec 14, 2011
alumni wrote:
i see he hasnt changed, lol maybe he needs to put a uniform on "for goodness sakes they are kids and they cant help it if they cant play up to his standards.."carter county athletics suck we need new coaches who doesnt make differences keep the politics out of the sports mine will never play for them he will go somewhere else as far as cussing and throwing things if it were the kids doing this they would be expelled and kicked off the team mr calhoun needs a attitude adjustment and grow up if you parents let him talk to your kids in this manner "you are nuts! step up and do something about it
Your kid wont play because he sucks. That is the biggest line of BS ever told. No coach will play guys that arent gonna give them the best chance to win. Coaches get paid to try to win games. They dont get raises for playing anyones kid. If your kid doesnt play its not politics, its because he sucks big monkey balls at the sport. Nobody gives you anything in life you have to earn it, and the sooner your kids know that the better off they will be.
wow

Ashland, KY

#7 Dec 14, 2011
alumni wrote:
i see he hasnt changed, lol maybe he needs to put a uniform on "for goodness sakes they are kids and they cant help it if they cant play up to his standards.."carter county athletics suck we need new coaches who doesnt make differences keep the politics out of the sports mine will never play for them he will go somewhere else as far as cussing and throwing things if it were the kids doing this they would be expelled and kicked off the team mr calhoun needs a attitude adjustment and grow up if you parents let him talk to your kids in this manner "you are nuts! step up and do something about it
I did not know that so many grammatical errors were possible in one post.
i know

Ashland, KY

#8 Dec 14, 2011
Derek Calhoun is a good man who is loved by kids of all ages. My boys are 15 and 12 and he has always been great with them...They look up to him as a friend...Derek is a good man and he does his job and does it well. Have you ever seen a coach cuss and yell at his players? Watch ESPN!!! It happens in every sport almost everyday!
sean#56

Ashland, KY

#9 Dec 15, 2011
Well I'm here to say Derek was a coach of mine threw middle school in football and he was an incredible coach he coached us threw an undefeated season he's a great guy and a damn good coach that's what's wrong with sports today the players are babied if half the coaches around here were half as good as him we would have a damn good sports program
Tiger

Normal, IL

#10 Dec 15, 2011
Roger Calhoun was the best!!!!! He would rip ya Cuss, shake his head, rub his chin & smoke cigarettes all at the same time. Brings back memories of the Hitchins Christmas Tournament. In the 1st round we got Hitchins vs Lawton, Star vs Carter City other bracket Willard vs Clark Hill & Prichard vs Olive Hill. Fire up the popcorn Suzie
does not matter

Ashland, KY

#11 Dec 15, 2011
It don't matter what sport male or female or coach male pr female, it all is the same. I played softball under Tim Baldwin for yrs and he was the type to scdream and cuss and throw things but he was a damn good coach. I coached softball myself for a few yrs and I ended up being that same coach. I played on fifty or more diff teams growing up and the coaches that I remember the most are the ones who would get down right mad. I learned more from then than any other!! I coached for five yrs and outta five yrs we lost 3 games. Thats pretty good. If you baby them they won't give their all. Kids thrive to plz and if you baby them no matter how bad or good then they think you are plzzed and have nothing to thrive for. Thats what the end of season banquets are for, to tell the children that your proud and give them the awards they EARNED throughout the season.
does not matter

Ashland, KY

#12 Dec 15, 2011
Before you comment on my typing, I know how to type nad spell but currently have broken rt hand and trying to use the left which I am not good at at all!!
history

Ashland, KY

#13 Dec 15, 2011
Jack Calhoun is the one that coaches basketball. Derek Calhoun, I believe coaches football and softball.
ocho fan

Owingsville, KY

#14 Dec 15, 2011
I played for Coach Jack Calhoun for 4 years, he was my JV coach for 2 years and he was an assistant on varsity the last 2 years. Like someone had said before kids today are to soft they cant take someone yelling at them. He used to yell at me and sit take me out of the game, not because he was trying to be mean but because i messed up. He is trying to make the kid be accountable for his mistakes. It helped make me a better player and a better person. Even though he does cuss and yell and throw the occasional chair or water cooler, those are just heat of the moment things and after the game he is your best friend. My dad died a couple of years after I graduated and Coach Jack Calhoun and Coach Brandon Baker called me to make sure i was ok and they also came to the visitation and funeral. These guys are great coaches and great people if these kids would just stop being so wimpy they might actually learn a few things from these guys. The reason that East isnt winning this year and last year isnt because of the coaches its because the players just dont have that much talent and they dont seem to have much heart either. While i was on the team we went to regionals 3 times and won a 62nd district title, so dont blame the coaches for your kids inability to play the game of basketball
Gopher

Boynton Beach, FL

#15 Dec 16, 2011
Amen
Curious

Ashland, KY

#16 Dec 17, 2011
ocho fan wrote:
I played for Coach Jack Calhoun for 4 years, he was my JV coach for 2 years and he was an assistant on varsity the last 2 years. Like someone had said before kids today are to soft they cant take someone yelling at them. He used to yell at me and sit take me out of the game, not because he was trying to be mean but because i messed up. He is trying to make the kid be accountable for his mistakes. It helped make me a better player and a better person. Even though he does cuss and yell and throw the occasional chair or water cooler, those are just heat of the moment things and after the game he is your best friend. My dad died a couple of years after I graduated and Coach Jack Calhoun and Coach Brandon Baker called me to make sure i was ok and they also came to the visitation and funeral. These guys are great coaches and great people if these kids would just stop being so wimpy they might actually learn a few things from these guys. The reason that East isnt winning this year and last year isnt because of the coaches its because the players just dont have that much talent and they dont seem to have much heart either. While i was on the team we went to regionals 3 times and won a 62nd district title, so dont blame the coaches for your kids inability to play the game of basketball
So when you lose, it's the players fault, so who gets the credit for the wins?
Seriously

Leitchfield, KY

#17 Dec 17, 2011
Calhoun is a great man, coach, husband, and father. Are you from Grayson Ky?! Have you EVER watched a sporting event where the coach DIDN'T throw something or get aggravated? I know in middle school ever kid gets a chance to play, but when you go to high school it means its time you start growing and planning a future. If your child can't handle someone yelling, how will he ever survive the real world. Sounds like you need to toughen that baby up!
citizen

Knox City, TX

#18 Dec 18, 2011
well just wait until the idiot throws something and injures a kid i guess that will be swept under the rug because a supposedly adult had a heated moment lol coaches get mad i understand completely but throwing chairs and water coolers dont justify him being right my gosh these kids are not nba players ive yet to see a echs player make nba whether they can play or not they at least try.keep your chins up echs players its not your fault the coaches are still in preschool and act like total butts
Gopher

United States

#19 Dec 18, 2011
This is what is wrong ... Parents whining because a coach is tough. Keep your noses out of it and let then coach
wow

Russell, KY

#20 Dec 19, 2011
citizen wrote:
well just wait until the idiot throws something and injures a kid i guess that will be swept under the rug because a supposedly adult had a heated moment lol coaches get mad i understand completely but throwing chairs and water coolers dont justify him being right my gosh these kids are not nba players ive yet to see a echs player make nba whether they can play or not they at least try.keep your chins up echs players its not your fault the coaches are still in preschool and act like total butts
Jack has been coaching at ECHS since I was in high school. I played basketball and football for him. He would never hurt a kid. Jack is a stand up guy and he does what he thinks is right. If you complain about him, you or your kid would have never made it under Big Baker. Him and Hager had ways of making you feel about an inch tall when you messed up. But you worked your butt off for them to gain their approval. Thats coaching. Maybe your kids isnt cutt out for competitive sports. You all should look into being a boy cheerleader, or maybe join the band.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grayson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min Herman 148,997
Bayso's 1 hr Didyaknow 1
Grassy area across I-64 from the fairgrounds. 1 hr John Hancock 25
Church in Grayson that don't use instruments? 1 hr mary 14
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 13,162
East carter 2 hr Curious 3
Erica stutler (Jan '15) 6 hr Girl from fla 53

Grayson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grayson Mortgages