Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 142427 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81524 Jun 26, 2012
explain wrote:
may others be good to you and may you be even better to yourself!
thanks I needed that. does that mean it was Ok to go to the bakery every day when I found it in another town, and do not plan to go back there again til August? I will try to be good by eating fewer sweets and drinking more water and less soda while I am back home. it is going to be very hot, and we will need lots of water. what do you think about global warming?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81525 Jun 26, 2012
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
For me it means, Turn from sin or burn in hell.
do you believe that this is true? do you believe that there is a hell in afterlife and that it is a place where people burn and suffer? does the spirit burn, or would it be bodies that burned, if so?

also, I thought many Christians believe that if a person sins, and then says he loves Jesus as his Saviour and thinks that Jesus was the only begotten Son of God sent to earth as a blood sacrifice to die for his sins, then he gets saved, even if is has been and still is a sinner - and still sins - as long as he keeps believing that stuff.

what is your opinion about that?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81526 Jun 26, 2012
Laquisha Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
You got that right!
Smart people got no use for talking nasty or be using profanity or disrespecting or hating in any way or shape or form. Smart people know they are not stupid and dont care about insults.
Its just plain nasty to insult people because of they are christians. Theyre religious, not stupid.
This was your comment on page 3905. apply it in the future, and behave accordingly, even when attacked by someone disgusting. if you want anyone else to stand up for you, you have to react with dignity yourself, and not sink to a trashy level with the person who is nasty to you. follow your own good advice, please.

I went to the trouble of going back several pages to find this comment from you, in order to encourage you to have the strength to be a good person in spite of the attack from a bad person.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81527 Jun 26, 2012
this was at 81406. it did not take you long to get nasty to someone, after your comment about not being nasty. think about it. if you lower yourself to be a bit nasty, then someone is a bit nastier to you, down it will go, and you will turn into the type of person who say you do not respect. and all that trash street talk like calling folks girl, and making your momma cry, is colorful enough for a southern fiction novel about white trash, but not appropriate on this particular thread. you need to find a thread where your type of conversation is welcome.

of course, some folks will enjoy it because it relieves the boredom of reading intelligent comments in reply to fundies.
Laquisha Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Lordy just look at you girl! Your just all over everyones case today. Racist, disrespecting christians, making your momma cry. What else? Go get your own weave and dont forget to get those claws filed down while your there. Stop shaming your momma.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81528 Jun 26, 2012
juggalo wrote:
<quoted text>
Question is ...what does either one get out of it ?? If there is this huge struggle between these two and the world is gonna end anyway , what's gonna happen ? Satan will have all these souls that he has to work his but off burning for eternity if he wins , and if god wins he would have this huge " righteous army" that has no purpose at all cause , well , there's no more earth .......what does either one really need with all these souls ?
I see no reason to think that the army of the Biblical God would consist of "righteous" persons. I think the righteous and the intelligent ones would all be hiding in purgatory watching the two types of evil fight it out.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81529 Jun 26, 2012
Godswarrior wrote:
The church going people in this area voting down alcolhal sales are against drinking. ok I'm agaist being drunk. What did jesus say people? Thou shall not be drunk BUT he made wine to drink. He made the best wine the book says. In that case it is not bad to have a drink it is bad to drink to much and get drunk. We could of profited from the sale of alcolhal. spelling is wrong but you know what I'm saying!!
a certain amount of alcohol can be good for some people. Those with the gene for alcoholism in their families should not drink at all ever. Those who can only handle a little, before getting too sleepy to drive, or stupid, or hostile, or reckless, should keep their drinks down to only a small one. I get too sleepy to drive, for example, and I only drink a glass of wine with food about once a month or so, with friends, and on a nice cool evening - not to get drunk but for the company and the good taste of the wine and the food, and the breeze on the patio. But there is no gene for alcohol in my family. I think there may be one for chocolate, however. I have to work hard to resist wanting some of that every day! No one nice will blame you for your spelling when you make sense and are not mean.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81530 Jun 26, 2012
I wrote this to LJ yesterday, before I knew she had a nasty person attacking her. I hope she will learn to be brave enough not to reply in a nasty way to a nasty attacker. I realize there is something of a double standard, when many of us reply in strong language to others, but just with better grammar and a higher culture type of insult.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> smart people don't write comments like you do. It is nasty to insult people who have not been nasty first, and have actually been nice and kind and fair and smart. It is - unfortunately - natural to retaliate when folks are dumb and nasty. Your first mistake was to begin by agreeing with that idiot Yes and Amen. Then you started off fairly stupid: "smart people got no use" and then got reasonably decent "for talking nasty or be (sic - that was bad grammar and not a thing a smart person would write) using profanity or disrespecting or hating in any way or shape or form."
Then you got stupid again, both in your grammar and in what you wrote. "Because of they are Christians" is both bad grammar and an unfair description of why we criticize folks like you and Yes and Amen. It is only fair to say you are not smart - though a bit nasty to just call you stupid - based both on your grammar and the content of your comments. And whether you are a nice person who is Christian or a not nice person who is Christian, depends on several factors. One is what you believe, and one is how you act, and one is what you write that we read here, and judge you by, because we do not know exactly what you believe or how you act. You might be a very kind person, in many ways, and we would not know that about you. And in a way, it is unfair of us to be unkind to you because you are uneducated and use bad grammar, and because you have naive beliefs. It was probably not your fault that you were poorly educated or that you were brainwashed with silly beliefs. Someone else probably did that to you, without your permission.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81531 Jun 26, 2012
Lordy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Yes I do. I do not know everything, never claimed such a thing. The knowledge that I do have, I use with best intentions. Speaking blatantly about such issues as those in this forum, I've become inclined to say the darndest things. It's not like they are lies though. Simple observations with intelligence, coating the miniscule responses of the Religious. I say to thee, go forth, and spread my words of wisdom, for they are righteous - nonetheless. Lawl...
You are smart and fun, and just what some folks call off-the-wall at times, and harmless if one gets a feel of what you are really like. But you probably do provoke a few others to get nasty! I even enjoy your comments when I disapprove of them for being too provocative - or not clear enough about how ironic you are being. I do not mean to encourage you to censor yourself or to stop being a bit wilde (intentional spelling) at times.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81532 Jun 26, 2012
help wrote:
teach god is imaginary
that is helpful. do you think it would get any vote in the Ky State Legislature, or any state legislature? do you think any public school teacher would dare to do it?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81533 Jun 26, 2012
Hell Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
Take the road that leads to the Son. It is a cliche'. I don't really care for the fire and brimstone approach myself. This is the scripture that points out his quip:
Matt. 25:
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
I love the term quip in this context! It is my guess that the words in red in the Bible that supposedly came from Jesus came from many sources, at many times, and that some of them put together nasty ideas right next to decent ideas, which really undermined the value of the decent ideas. No where is that more clear than in Matthew - the part about "doing unto the (poor, the naked, the imprisoned, etc) as you would do unto me (Jesus)" The ethic advocates kindness. and thereafter immediately is the part about dividing folks into sheep and goats, and sending the bad guys into hell. bad enough the metaphor being nasty to goats!(not exactly a literary metaphor, I understand, if there was once a practice of literal scapegoating, by loading a goat with reports of the sins of certain persons, and sending them into the desert to die and take the sins away as a sacrifice - a practice I am TOLD that the ancient Jews used - NOT that I KNOW this is correct).
pretty nasty behavior if so, and a good example of the sort of thing people might want to do to not have to pay for their misdeeds. another example is believing that "Jesus Christ" died for their sins.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81534 Jun 26, 2012
sort of like being rich enough to hire a good lawyer or a dream team to help you get by with murder, or double murder, perhaps?
explain

West End, NC

#81535 Jun 26, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> do you believe that this is true? do you believe that there is a hell in afterlife and that it is a place where people burn and suffer? does the spirit burn, or would it be bodies that burned, if so?
also, I thought many Christians believe that if a person sins, and then says he loves Jesus as his Saviour and thinks that Jesus was the only begotten Son of God sent to earth as a blood sacrifice to die for his sins, then he gets saved, even if is has been and still is a sinner - and still sins - as long as he keeps believing that stuff.
what is your opinion about that?
this is the problem I have with baptist, is it true once saved always saved, no matter what? I feel as though you have to repent when you make a mistake and must be forgiven all over. Am I wrong someone?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#81536 Jun 26, 2012
explain wrote:
<quoted text>this is the problem I have with baptist, is it true once saved always saved, no matter what? I feel as though you have to repent when you make a mistake and must be forgiven all over. Am I wrong someone?
I think that comes from the Calvinist roots where you as a human being are totally depraved and cannot possibly affect your own salvation. If god saves you then there is nothing you can do to change it or else that means there is something outside the control of god.

I don't know what actual Baptists believe about it but that is the root they come from.
explain

West End, NC

#81537 Jun 26, 2012
Even God does not plan to judge a man till the end of their days, why should you and I .. Great Ben
so at least wait till I am dead before you put me under...

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#81538 Jun 26, 2012
explain wrote:
<quoted text>
this is the problem I have with baptist, is it true once saved always saved, no matter what? I feel as though you have to repent when you make a mistake and must be forgiven all over. Am I wrong someone?
Yes, if you believe that thor or a derivative of, cares about your existence, you are wrong.

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#81539 Jun 26, 2012
explain wrote:
<quoted text>
Saved no matter what? That would make it seem that a drunk,drug addict,wife abuser,child abuser,muderer and thief o.k. Is this the reason so many baptist are in prison, maybe.

There are scriptures that would contradict this belief.

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:12
Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall.

Matt 7:21
New International Version (1984)
"Not everyone who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#81540 Jun 26, 2012
Is The Age of Accountability Biblical?

by Tony Warren

Proverbs 20:11
"Even a Child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right."

This is just one of the scriptures that knocks down any concept of children's works being pure because of an age of accountability doctrine.

The fact that this verse says explicitly that a child's doing can be impure, is a testimony in itself against the doctrine of children being righteous or sinless.

They can't be known by their doings if all children's doings are pure or right. They obviously are not all pure in God's eyes.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/articles/ac...
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81541 Jun 26, 2012
explain wrote:
<quoted text>
do not believe any answer you get. no one here speaks for a supreme being that might send you to hell for getting it wrong.

I do not believe in the usual notions about religion, but I believe in ethics. My view of ethics tells me that a person should try not to hurt others. when one does, one should try to repair the damage and even repair the relationship with that person if possible. I do not see how running to God or Jesus has anything to do with it. The person you hurt is the person you have to make it up to, not God. and there is another good saying - "How do I know that I am forgiven? When you don't do it again." If you feel sorry you hurt someone in some way, that should mean you will be more careful not to hurt someone another time. So try not to hurt someone or some living being - even an animal that is no threat to you. also try not to hurt yourself by doing something dangerous to yourself - like getting way too fat, not excercizing, smoking, drinking too much or drinking alcohol if you have a gene for alcoholism.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81542 Jun 26, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
Is The Age of Accountability Biblical?
by Tony Warren
Proverbs 20:11
"Even a Child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right."
This is just one of the scriptures that knocks down any concept of children's works being pure because of an age of accountability doctrine.
The fact that this verse says explicitly that a child's doing can be impure, is a testimony in itself against the doctrine of children being righteous or sinless.
They can't be known by their doings if all children's doings are pure or right. They obviously are not all pure in God's eyes.
http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/articles/ac...
please make the point you want to make about this.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#81543 Jun 26, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that comes from the Calvinist roots where you as a human being are totally depraved and cannot possibly affect your own salvation. If god saves you then there is nothing you can do to change it or else that means there is something outside the control of god.
I don't know what actual Baptists believe about it but that is the root they come from.
we need to gently explain to explain that we think these notions are nonsense, and that the important thing is to do as best one can to avoid hurting anyone or any living thing that is not a threat, and then to do so only in self defense or defense of others. it has nothing to do with religion. it has to do with pain of living beings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grayson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica O'neil 11 hr duh 2
psychic 11 hr donkeypunch 2
sexiest girl in town 12 hr Fisherman 36
somone selling baby formula on facebook (Jan '13) 14 hr TaydonsMom 38
Clifton sigman 14 hr wtf 7
Kenny Allen Bailey 15 hr the black rider 2
stolen phone at randys roadside help!!! 15 hr Jesika Collins 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grayson Mortgages