Grayling residents sound off on theme park

Aug 2, 2007 Full story: Traverse City Record-Eagle

“I think it should come to a public vote”

About 100 people crammed an overheated room at Grayling Township Hall to discuss an Oakland County group's proposed $161 million theme park in Crawford County. via Traverse City Record-Eagle

Full Story
Higger

Sevierville, TN

#1 Aug 21, 2007
A first time venture in an economically depressed state should say it all. The tourism generated will be short lived. Locals face the burden of the down side. We will absorb the losses and suffer from incomplete infrastructure projects to support the site. This is not the Disney Corporation breaking ground! Protect your patriotism; Home Town America is only a subsidiary. Are you buying their stock?
A Michigan Resident

Lakeview, MI

#2 Sep 7, 2007
Before Michigan allows any big corporation to build anything in Michigan, or Michigan sell any of its public land, or ask any Michigan resident for added tax money. That Corporation should be a company Based in the United States. Because the Michigan residents will never see a return on that tax money. All the profits go the that company.OH sure it will create needed jobs, but for how many and at what rate of pay? will it justify selling our natural resourses? Will it justify a raise in land taxes for everyone in that area? I strongly feel that if this Axious wants to build a theam park then, they incurr all costs. Michigan and it residents are broke, we are taxed to death as it is and hear comes someone with another idea to take more. Plus How much is the Michigan DNR selling our land for, and why are they selling it. I'm not so sure I want anymore Michigan State Land sold. Are You? I thought that was why we are paying higher prices for all hunting and fishing licences not to mention again taxes. I'm not so sure that we are going to see any great return on our money in this venture.. A michigan resident...
hunter

Anchorage, AK

#3 Sep 20, 2007
I feel if we agree to sell off state land that we have paid increasing taxes on for the last several years, then every resident of the state should be paid a portion of the money from the sale. As far as the job situation is concerned exactly what types of jobs are they gonna offer. Will they pay a fair wage or will they figure that like most every other business up state that they can pay us less because of a cheaper cost of living. Well I got news for jenny and the rest of people down state "it isn't any cheaper where we live", I am sorry selling our state land and increasing our taxes just isnt worth 1000 minimum wage jobs.
tomsroad

Gaylord, MI

#4 Dec 13, 2007
Isn't today D-Day for the amusement park people to seal the deal?

Any scuttlebutt on the streets?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grayling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Business in Lewiston (Aug '13) Dec 13 dougdeg 14
Review: Jim's Well Drilling & Pump Service Nov 25 Michael2327 1
Mansion on Higgins Lake (May '12) Oct '14 Marian HILL 7
Lewiston Communications - High Speed (Sep '08) Oct '14 Lewyman 47
Review: Auto Express-Grayling (Jun '14) Oct '14 Chris D 8
Garland Resort sucks!!!!!! Sep '14 Rick 2
Problems with i2k internet connection (Feb '12) Sep '14 feeling left out 9
Grayling Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web