Grayling Theme park in the works

Grayling Theme park in the works

There are 49 comments on the Petoskey News Review story from Jun 2, 2007, titled Grayling Theme park in the works. In it, Petoskey News Review reports that:

“It's something that's desperately needed here and it's needed in the entire Michigan economy. ... It'll provide jobs. I'm a person who takes phone calls every day from some of the people who don't have money for heat or rent.”

After several years of rumors, a large multi-million-dollar theme park inched one step closer to coming to Grayling, bringing with it 2,000 jobs and an estimated payroll of $25 million. via Petoskey News Review

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Petoskey News Review.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
six months

Bradenton, FL

#41 Aug 15, 2008
Well I am from 35 miles away from Grayling, to the north east.
I grew up in Detroit, Rochester, and Auburn Hills. I also love the woods, and the trails, hunting fishing.

I frequent a friends house along 612 and Hartwick pines nearly every weekend

BUT..........

I also realise how this park would help out a small town in a time of much need. This would create jobs from day one.
The trees need to be removed, hauled away, grading, bulding built, and so on.

Then there are all the contractors that could benifit, and empty hotels that would be flooded with guests, that currently sit unused.

There would be plenty of jobs for the few people in Grayling and surrounding.

As far as ruining the woods, c'mon there are a lot of acres in Crawford CO. with tons of trails to ride, and a lot of lakes, streams.

I think that this is nothing but good, with the 6 month to show that this Company has the money to complete this project. Which is a very good move.

I hope this goes through and is under construction by next spring.
Save the North

Midland, MI

#42 Aug 21, 2008
six months I am afraid you have lost the love for where you live. You state there are a lot of acres in Crawfrord County, so that makes this ok? You want to destroy the woods with all of this pavement? Basically what you are telling me is go to another part of the county where there is woods. Where does it end then? Soon I will be in Indian River as all of the lower part has been developed and I will be having this conversation with you again as they will want to develop Indian River.

There is no disputing that it would create jobs, but at what cost? Less land for wildlife, less land for hunting, less land for exploring, etc.

Go to where parks exist where they have already developed the land. I live in the North for the great natural beauty not the pavement.
Six Months

Ozone Park, NY

#43 Aug 25, 2008
Well I am never going to lose my love of the great up north!!!

Camp Grayling is the nation's largest National Guard training site and the largest military installation east of the Mississippi River
147,000 acres (595 kmĀ²) are used for year-round training conducted by the U.S. National Guard, as well as active and reserve components of the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy.

With 70% of Crawford County owned by federal and state government, and open to the public, it is a hunter's dream.

Wellington Farm Park is a 60-acre, non-profit living history museum

I can only imagine the amount of employment that a water park would create. I look forward to it and I support it fully.

Make sure you attend bike fest labor day weekend
beth moore

Gaylord, MI

#44 Aug 28, 2008
Hometown Grayling Girl wrote:
I have lived in Grayling all my life. I don't know anything about politics and don't wish to learn. I don't know if this park will fail and I don't appreciate the negativity of those with previous comments. I can tell you this: Grayling needs the jobs. Grayling will never grow with out them. I think of Grayling as a small town that keeps getting smaller. This community and economy would greatly benefit from what this park could bring. Not just the park itself but also the businesses that will pop up because of it. Grayling needs help.
Well I lived in Grayling from 1983-2003 & after working in Gaylord for almost 5 yrs I decided to move here cause I got tired of "waiting" for Grayling to have some good paying jobs instead of the low skill kind that pay crappy! I liked living there & miss family & friends cause Gaylord is a pretty snobby town maybe thats why all those woman stole from their bosses in order to be the "I have money club" cause w/o that you're basically considered white trash/welfare loser.
Carroll

Bradenton, FL

#45 Aug 29, 2008
There are a few good jobs in Grayling that pay pretty well, but you do have to know someone to get your foot in the door I know this and I dont even live there.
beth moore

Gaylord, MI

#46 Sep 2, 2008
Yeah in Grayling the few that control the area make sure nothing interferes with what they have going but yeah you're right if you're not one of "the right people" you're left out in the cold! But like in life the haves always will be on top & the rest of us can continue hanging on by our fingertips!
anna

Leonidas, MI

#47 Sep 3, 2008
I for one will be standing in line applying for a job. This will boost northern Michigan's economy. something has done soon ...all over Northern Michigan jobs are closing or moving out.and if you compare wages of southern Michigan to northern Michigan WE been getting the shaft for years. Their wages & benefits are better than ours The southern county's in Michigan rule the rest of the state.Even if a change is put to a vote, all of Michigan can vote for some thing and if those 6 or 8 counties decide its not for them they shoot it down. I say let the jobs come the more the merrier
peimar

Altamonte Springs, FL

#48 Jan 21, 2012
LOL...
Xanadu

Gaylord, MI

#49 Jan 23, 2012
Save the North wrote:
six months I am afraid you have lost the love for where you live. You state there are a lot of acres in Crawfrord County, so that makes this ok? You want to destroy the woods with all of this pavement? Basically what you are telling me is go to another part of the county where there is woods. Where does it end then? Soon I will be in Indian River as all of the lower part has been developed and I will be having this conversation with you again as they will want to develop Indian River.
There is no disputing that it would create jobs, but at what cost? Less land for wildlife, less land for hunting, less land for exploring, etc.
Go to where parks exist where they have already developed the land. I live in the North for the great natural beauty not the pavement.
Had to smile when you (posting from Saginaw) say 'I live in the North..."..........Sagina w is NOT considered 'north' by those of us who DO live in the northern section of the Lower Peninsula!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grayling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Auto Express-Grayling (Jun '14) Wed Mr Rentschler 12
Problems with i2k internet connection (Feb '12) Apr '16 foo 10
News Spring Break Road Trip: Try one of Michigan's B... Apr '16 havens 1
New Business in Lewiston (Aug '13) Mar '16 test 16
Roscommon contract Feb '16 Just say no 1
Lear ross common Feb '16 Here we go again 2
md towing- marshal dobson Jan '16 Karma 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grayling Mortgages