Budget cuts have left abuse victims to rely on volunteers

Full story: LA Daily News
Harry Bailey says he and his wife didn't take in abused spouses and their children for praise from others. Full Story
Sigh

Redondo Beach, CA

#1 Aug 23, 2010
"Now, neighbors in this tight-knit community have returned to relying on each other to help those in need of shelter services, with some remaking their homes into makeshift safe houses.

Gwen Durling, a spokeswoman for the California Emergency Management Agency, which oversees the shelter program, said even though the state budget was creating a problem for victim-services agencies, they have still found a way to provide their core services.

But some local advocates, safe-house providers and law-enforcement officials said the private homes are less safe than shelters because fewer people entails a greater risk. They also say the services for victims are less robust and immediate than they would be if trained staff were on hand."

May be less, but bless those friends and neighbors for doing SOMETHING! KUDOS to them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grass Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Burglary Suspects Arrested in Lake of the Pines Mar 2 TBL 1
Review: Auburn Smoke Shop Feb 23 Ray493 1
legit pain P.I.L.L.S Feb 23 hju 1
Grass Valley Predator Drugs, Rapes 16 Year Old ... Feb 18 Disgusted 1
New book about "A Place Called Pinecrest." (Jan '09) Feb 11 Peter Pinecrest 5
Amgen Tour of California route to traverse Neva... Jan '15 Sylvia 1
Bayside Church new to Auburn (Aug '08) Dec '14 Ms Tambo 20
Grass Valley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web