Intelligent design being undermined

The Jan. 10 edition of The Journal Gazette carried a half-page advertisement, sponsored by 'The Clergy Project' and 'Alliance for Science,' asking readers to urge their pastors to sign a letter endorsing the ... Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Since: Dec 06

United States

#282 Feb 26, 2007
Feanor wrote:
In other words. If you tossed all the coins every times, you would expect to get 20 heads every once 1048576 tosses.
On the other hand, in that time the evolution model that keeps successfull heads would get 20 heads about 149796 times.
(Obviously give or take a few depending on the assumptions you make)
How was the 149,796 value calculated?

“Restore the Republic”

Since: Jan 07

Burbs

#283 Feb 26, 2007
NotAmused wrote:
<quoted text>
Accordint tosome the odds are about the number of "all the atoms in the universe" to one, that this process of life could by chance alone happen...

It's going to be curious, if and when they find ancient evidence wioth Mars Rovers of life there..

This week it was shown how ?NASA is scrambling to follow the water and follow the carbon on the surface through tech. The largest camera ever launch in space is headed or allready there, with resolution high enough to see a plate on a tble from space. they're tracking water, its believed that there is about 1/3 the amount of wtaer that is here...

Why is it so important ? Coz if they find life there, it will not only show there is a real possibilty of life in other galaxies but, It furthers the notion that there is a CODE or design, and that it may be prevalent in the right circumstances to support it. These are NASA's conclusions not mine. I said design, they said CODE

Semantics !!!!

The more important question might be why it went extinct.

“Restore the Republic”

Burbs

#284 Feb 26, 2007
I need to correct myself...the 1/3 ratio was reference to the belief that 1/3 of the earths water came from Comets! or other bodies that collided.

“Cave ab homine unius libri”

Since: Feb 07

Cape Town

#285 Feb 26, 2007
NotAmused wrote:
<quoted text>
It is just an approximation. Basically 1048576 / 7. It is not statistically very sound, but it serves to illustrate a point in the massive difference a small assumption can make.

“Restore the Republic”

Burbs

#286 Feb 26, 2007

Astrobiology Field Laboratory

Astrobiology Field Laboratory

Another proposal is for an Astrobiology Field Lab that would conduct a robotic search for life. It would be the first mission since Viking in the 1970s to look specifically for evidence of past or present life. The robotic lab would carry instruments for identifying and measuring the chemical building blocks for life (as we know it), including thousands of carbon-carrying compounds, elements such as sulfur and nitrogen, and oxidation states of trace metals associated with life. It would conduct detailed analysis of geologic environments identified by the 2009 Mars Science Laboratory as being conducive to life. Such environments might include fine-grained sedimentary layers, hot spring mineral deposits, icy layers near the poles, or sites such as gullies where liquid water once flowed or may continue to seep into soils from melting ice packs.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/future/futu...

“Restore the Republic”

Burbs

#287 Feb 27, 2007
2005 - Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter
Spacecraft
Launch: August, 2005
Arrival: March, 2006
Why is NASA so interested in life on Mars? If they find life, it may only be as simple as to say, "given the presence of certain elements and substances, aminos, in conjuction with water and light and life might florish anywhere, its 'encryption' will direct it to unfold into life forms."

The encrypted code would do what it does, produce life. It need not to be called anything but life.

What and how will evolution adapt to such a finding...wouldnt it be nice to be put on the test tho...see where it falls.

NASA.....http://mars.jpl.nasa. gov/missions/present/2005.html

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, launched in August, 2005, carries the most powerful camera ever flown on a planetary exploration mission for homing in on details of Martian terrain with extraordinary clarity. While previous cameras on other Mars orbiters were able to identify objects no smaller than a dinner table, this camera will be able to spot something as small as a dinner plate. This capability will not only provide an astoundingly detailed view of the geology and structure of Mars, but will help identify obstacles that could jeopardize the safety of future landers and rovers. Calibration tests during the spacecraft's aerobraking phase have provided an impressive glimpse of what the camera will reveal as the mission continues.

The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter also carries a sounder to find subsurface water, an important consideration in selecting scientifically worthy landing sites for future exploration.

Since: Dec 06

Urbana, Illinois

#288 Feb 27, 2007
us ourYF 22s wrote:
2005 - Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter
Spacecraft
Launch: August, 2005
Arrival: March, 2006
Why is NASA so interested in life on Mars? If they find life, it may only be as simple as to say, "given the presence of certain elements and substances, aminos, in conjuction with water and light and life might florish anywhere, its 'encryption' will direct it to unfold into life forms."
The encrypted code would do what it does, produce life. It need not to be called anything but life.
What and how will evolution adapt to such a finding...wouldnt it be nice to be put on the test tho...see where it falls.
NASA.....http://mars.jpl.nasa. gov/missions/present/2005.html
NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, launched in August, 2005, carries the most powerful camera ever flown on a planetary exploration mission for homing in on details of Martian terrain with extraordinary clarity. While previous cameras on other Mars orbiters were able to identify objects no smaller than a dinner table, this camera will be able to spot something as small as a dinner plate. This capability will not only provide an astoundingly detailed view of the geology and structure of Mars, but will help identify obstacles that could jeopardize the safety of future landers and rovers. Calibration tests during the spacecraft's aerobraking phase have provided an impressive glimpse of what the camera will reveal as the mission continues.
The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter also carries a sounder to find subsurface water, an important consideration in selecting scientifically worthy landing sites for future exploration.
Another "way-cool mission"!

Great pictures! Have you seen the pictures showing the Rover and its tracks? What incredible detail!.

I read about planets when I was a kid...now I can practically reach out and touch them!
conrad

Imperial, CA

#289 Jun 1, 2007
Starts With S wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you dismiss the over 600 flood myths from just about every culture there was around the world as all fairy tales that just happen to tell the same story. Quite the coincidence....if you believe in coincidences. As far as geology, show me one place in the world that has all the geologic columns in place and in the "correct" order. Correct me if I'm wrong but would that not make the geologic column 100 miles thick? How thick is the earth's crust? I'm sure you already know that it is only about 60 miles thick. 80-85% of the earth's land surface does not have 3 geologic columns in the correct order. And where are the erosion marks? If layer 1 existed for a million years before layer 2 came on top of it why are there no erosion marks? Looks to me like the layers were settled quickly....now what would do that? Here's something for ya to try at home. Take a medium to large sized jar and fill it 1/3 way with multiple types of dirt all mixed together. Add water to about the 2/3 mark and shake. Set the jar down and before your eyes you will see the dirt seperate and form multiple layers. That my friend is just one piece of proof that the flood did indeed occur.
I presume that it helps if you the same jar you use to carry moonbeams home to your love.

“Restore the Republic”

Burbs

#290 Jun 4, 2007
would you like to swing on a Satre...or would you rather be a fish?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grantsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Olsen & Son Drug Store Oct 3 jydg 2
OReilly's Jun '14 Steven Ortiz 1
18.JUL.07 Nyren waives preliminary hearing (Jul '07) Jan '13 JustSoYouKnow 6
Who do you support for U.S. House in Wisconsin ... (Oct '10) Jun '12 A T ind 31
Debate: Gay Marriage - Grantsburg, WI (Jan '12) Jan '12 GMAN 2
Woman's disappearance still a mystery (Sep '10) Oct '11 An NFL Fan 13
Debate: Iowa GOP Debate - Grantsburg, WI (Aug '11) Aug '11 Tom 1
Grantsburg Dating
Find my Match

Grantsburg Jobs