House debate on driver's license reform begins

The debate over whether undocumented immigrants should be able to obtain New Mexico driver's licenses is under way before the House of Representatives. Full Story
Tour de Force

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Mar 4, 2011
YES! Now let's just hope it gets pass the senate and onto Martinez's desk.
CWJ

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Mar 4, 2011
By Barry Massey
Associated PressPosted: 03/04/2011 08:59:42 PM MST

'Let's take the driver's license away from this illegal immigrant. We aren't taking licenses away from illegal immigrants. We're taking licenses away from foreign nationals," said Rep. Eliseo Alcon, D-Milan

"By denying driver's licenses to our foreign national immigrant community ... we give these fanatic extremists the upper hand in establishing the tone of our daily politics," said Rep. Miguel Garcia, D-Albuquerque.

Come on Representatives Elisio and Garcia get your heads out of the sand. Word smithing does not work you can not translate -illegal immigrant- to -foreign national-. Does it warm your heart Rep Garcia to call illegal immigrants -our foreign national community-? What happened to the word ILLEGAL?

I have talked to friends and they all agree NM State should not allow illegal immigrants or illegal foreign nationals any of the rights and privileges reserved for US citizens. These illegals clog our education systems, medical systems and other welfare systems that were established for US citizens.

To all NM State Senators vote the issue don’t table it or pass it on to a committee to be studied and die. There has been enough debate. You have to stop passing the buck. Get a back bone and do the right thing or the citizens will kick you out next year. Stop listening to the party line and listen to your constituents! NO DRIVERS LICENSES FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS (or illegal foreign nationals if you prefer).
LiberalsAreIdiot s

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Mar 4, 2011
Susana will sign this...it has to get through the Marxist Senate...I won't hope for it. Ya'll go Conservatives!
Ellen Wedum

High Rolls Mountain Park, NM

#4 Mar 5, 2011
The bill passed was a House floor substitute. You can download and read a copy at
http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/_session.aspx...
This bill cleans up some chauvinist language, I am pleased to note. There is also a provision for an identification card. Kudos to the House staff for getting it posted on the website so quickly.
It seems that the whole procedure for denying a license/ID card to a foreign national depends on the person being unable to supply a Social Security card or “…valid passport, valid visa or other arrival-departure record or document issued by the federal department of homeland security…”(some of the language added). The only ID deleted as being acceptable is the taxpayer ID card.
So I wonder if it is still easy to fake a Social Security card?
jimi

Alamogordo, NM

#5 Mar 5, 2011
About time!
True American Patriot

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Mar 5, 2011
Hurrah for the House! Tell cristina lopez & her somos un puelbo unido radicals to take their pro illegal supporters back to mexico and fly a kite down there where they belong! Illegals Have NO RIGHTS!!!
Bill Bartlett

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Mar 5, 2011
Finally, a breath of fresh air! I'm a Democrat but I've never understood the logic behind giving illegal aliens a driver's license. There are way too many American citizens who have had to wait to become American citizens the legal way. I always thought this law was a slap in the face to those who played by the rules. Thank you Andy Nunez and the other common sense Democrats who supported this bill. Take that, Mr. Speaker Ben (Not Ray) Lujan!(Other Democrats who voted for the bill includes Al Park of Albuquerque and Joseph Cervantes of Las Cruces. Kudos to Mr. Park, who I expect will catch ten tons of grief for his vote. But he did the right thing.)
Jobelaw

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Mar 8, 2011
If the senate ok's this, it will only complicate the situation. We need to know who these people are, where they are at! and what they are up to? Its funny he is going after his own people!
Jobelaw

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Mar 8, 2011
Bill barlett, "There are way too many American citizens who have had to wait to become American citizens the legal way."

Really? you seem to know what your talking about. Tell me the process one must take to become a citizen, and please dont mention the easy ways you and your frinds, might have taken, such as overstaying your visa, and then adjusting your status thru marriage. or taking part of 245I? Hardly anyone does it the legal, rightful way. Waiting in your country of origin for many years. They all play the system. You should be thankful that when your ancestors invaded this land and killed and raped any native who stood in their way was able to get a way with it.
Just me

Washington, DC

#10 Mar 9, 2011
Jobelaw wrote:
Bill barlett, "There are way too many American citizens who have had to wait to become American citizens the legal way."
Really? you seem to know what your talking about. Tell me the process one must take to become a citizen, and please dont mention the easy ways you and your frinds, might have taken, such as overstaying your visa, and then adjusting your status thru marriage. or taking part of 245I? Hardly anyone does it the legal, rightful way. Waiting in your country of origin for many years. They all play the system. You should be thankful that when your ancestors invaded this land and killed and raped any native who stood in their way was able to get a way with it.
His ancestors came to this continent and established this country. They also established laws that enable you today to your right to freedom of speech. Thank him when you get a chance! Where did your ancestors come from? Probably that civilization that has never killed or raped anyone. MORON!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grants Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Complaint prompts investigation at Golden Corra... Aug '14 Horace 6
State attorney general warns of timeshare scam (Apr '10) Aug '14 Tiffany Cox 5
Homelessness identified as top issue in Farming... Jun '14 indian 23
Review: Thoreu Navajo Outreach Jun '14 benjamin Edward g... 1
NM Title case: Arrest warrant issued for Bobby ... (Aug '12) May '14 Native B o r n 7
VA Hospital adds on $30 million in construction (Nov '13) Nov '13 Daryl 3
Review: La Bella Vita Italian Eatery (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mike 1
Grants Dating
Find my Match

Grants Jobs

Grants People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grants News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grants

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]