3rd graders short on reading skills m...

3rd graders short on reading skills may be held back

There are 24 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Mar 2, 2011, titled 3rd graders short on reading skills may be held back. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

The state would force about 4,000 students a year to repeat the third grade, under a bill approved Tuesday by the House of Representatives.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Not Again

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#1 Mar 2, 2011
So they should hold them back if they can't read well enough, that's how things used to be instead of letting them on to the next grade. When one looks at percentages on how kids can't read or do a lot of the other work it's not good. We're turning out a lot of uneducated kids anymore, kids that can't even spell worth a darn. How do they expect them to make a decent living when they're not getting a good education ? Of course it would be great if parent(s) at home pitched in and helped with homework too.
bogie48

Portales, NM

#2 Mar 3, 2011
It's about time!!! The lower level teachers haven't been doing their jobs for years now and this will force them to produce or get fired. Shame on them for treating our kids this way.
blameintheproper place

Edgewood, NM

#3 Mar 3, 2011
take a closer look at the government programs forcing the dumbing down of the american children. these are the programs the teachers are made to follow, or get fired.I say remove the government programs and let the teachers teach.
Linda

Corrales, NM

#4 Mar 3, 2011
bogie48 wrote:
It's about time!!! The lower level teachers haven't been doing their jobs for years now and this will force them to produce or get fired. Shame on them for treating our kids this way.
Teachers should NOT be the only one responsible for whether or not students learn! There are many reasons students fail that are NOT the fault of the teacher.

Some of the reasons teachers are not as successful as they could be are listed below.

1. They cannot teach students who do not come to school.
2. They cannot teach students well who have parents who are uninvolved in their lives.
3. They cannot teach students well who have abuse in the home, either physical or emotional.
4. They cannot teach students well who don't speak English.
5. They cannot teach students as well as they could when the child comes to school ill.
6. Parents should see that their children study, do their homework, get enough sleep & go to school prepared to learn. Many do not.

Stop putting all the blame on teachers for students not learning. They do the best they can to insure that students learn, but it takes cooperation between parents (the first teacers), teachers & the student!
just me talking

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Mar 3, 2011
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers should NOT be the only one responsible for whether or not students learn! There are many reasons students fail that are NOT the fault of the teacher.
Some of the reasons teachers are not as successful as they could be are listed below.
2. They cannot teach students well who have parents who are uninvolved in their lives.
3. They cannot teach students well who have abuse in the home, either physical or emotional.
5. They cannot teach students as well as they could when the child comes to school ill.
6. Parents should see that their children study, do their homework, get enough sleep & go to school prepared to learn. Many do not.
Stop putting all the blame on teachers for students not learning. They do the best they can to insure that students learn, but it takes cooperation between parents (the first teacers), teachers & the student!
Sure, it's all that and more. It's about the smart ambitious kids who figure out they can make more money than their teachers by dealing drugs in the school rest rooms, and by petty crime. And why should those children even come to school at all when they have such a lucritive source of income?

Most schools, at least in the Southwest US, have "English as a second language programs" - which means the Hispanic and other "minority" children never learn Enlish, spoken OR written.

There's the parents who never read anything more substantial than a comic book since middle school, and pass on the tradition to their kids, because welfare, food banks, public housing, and cash from crime are their means of support.

And there's the English teacher _I_ had in high school who told me I shouldn't Sinclair Lewis' "Arrowsmith" I had in hand, "because it's college level material." Yet this teacher knew full well I was tested as reading at a high college in the ninth grade. There's just too many teachers out there that teach to the average, and give no encourgement at all to the brighter children.

I don't even wonder any more why the local Fox TV news announcers use "busted" to mean either "broken" or "arrested," or why my coworkers (some with college degrees) have no idea at all who was U. S. President before Bill Clinton. The poor quality of education in the U. S. has been going on for generations.
more ideas

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Mar 3, 2011
Linda you forgot to mention these.
1.Too much paper work given to teachers to fill out which causes teachers to lose focus on classroom teaching.
2.Students out too many days for teacher training. Limit the amount of training days.
3. And figure out a way to get rid of the bad teachers.
Deming Resident

Deming, NM

#7 Mar 3, 2011
Not Again wrote:
So they should hold them back if they can't read well enough, that's how things used to be instead of letting them on to the next grade. When one looks at percentages on how kids can't read or do a lot of the other work it's not good. We're turning out a lot of uneducated kids anymore, kids that can't even spell worth a darn. How do they expect them to make a decent living when they're not getting a good education ? Of course it would be great if parent(s) at home pitched in and helped with homework too.
I would have seriously checked my grammar and punctuation before posting this comment. Spelling is good. A on that. Perhaps you should have stated something about the system not "turning out" uneducated people like you.
Deming Resident

Deming, NM

#8 Mar 3, 2011
bogie48 wrote:
The teachers go to college, get licensed to teach and then get hired. They do the job they do and it depends on the administration what they produce or can "get away with." Some employees, in any field of work, will get away with doing as little as possible. It is up to the supervisors to monitor this, correct it, or let the employee(s) go. Teachers blame parents, parents blame teachers. Ever heard "it takes the village"?
Deming Resident

Deming, NM

#9 Mar 3, 2011
Instead of replying to comments one at a time, I will post my own here.#1 There are some teachers who do not do their jobs. They did not hire themselves.#2 The teachers who do their jobs do face many obstacles day by day, year by year. They do the best job they can every day. In almost any given classroom, a teacher can have twenty-five students at twenty-five different reading, match, etc., levels. However, these, and all teachers, chose their profession. They cannot, or rather should not, place all blame on parents or home lives of students. The whole system is responsible.#3 There are those who agree with holding third graders back if they are not at level and boast about the "good old days" and their own "glory" stories from the past. Check your spelling, grammar and language usage on this comment page. You are not in high school anymore...get over it. Buy a dictionary or type up a draft of your comment in Microsoft Word before posting here. It will catch at least some of your errors. Your comments might be taken more seriously if your skills mirrored the skills you are in favor of within our schools.

Have a good day.
Patriot

Washington, DC

#10 Mar 3, 2011
Blame the education system, blame the teachers, blame the schools, blame, blame, blame....Seriously people, if there are a group of people to blame that would be the parents!

This is what is wrong with society in general, nobody wants to take responsibility for anything it's everybody elseís fault! Yes, it's true there are some LAZY teachers in our school system and some administrators that aren't worth a lick. But how many of these parents that are complaining that their kids can't read make an effort to work with them at home?

How many take the time to visit with the teachers to see what their children are learning? How many of them when the children come home from school ask them how school went and if they have any homework? How many of them turn the TV off and tell them let's read something instead of watching a silly TV program/show or playing a video game for hours on end?

It's easy to blame others but how about looking in the mirror and seeing who else is responsible! Yes itís true the schools are not the best, they take a lot of time off for this training or for that program and the list goes on!

We pay these teachers to teach our kids but if they are incapable then we as parents should step in for our kids sake! Iím a parent and have kids in this school system and believe me my wife and I donít depend on the school system to take care of it all, we jump in and cover where they (the school) fail!

Just food for thought!
Tommy Rot

United States

#11 Mar 3, 2011
I know adults who have stated that they hate to read. Apparently many of them had difficulties as children and as adults, have had lifelong problems. Ynu can put a kid back as many times as you want, but unless that child gets special help to correct the problem, the results will be resentment for life.
Rick Tomas

United States

#12 Mar 4, 2011
So, we need a LAW to hold back kids who perform at a sub-standard level????? We need to find out which teachers routinely pass on the underachievers, & fire the teachers.
Undisciplined kids = undisciplined society
Uneducated kids = uneducated society
Public fool system = Both
If you have half a brain & love your kids = homeschool
Judas

Farmington, NM

#13 Mar 4, 2011
Half-brained people shouldn't be homeschooling anyone.
columbum

Deming, NM

#14 Mar 4, 2011
"(Rep. Ken) Martinez said he also disliked a provision that would require parents to pay for summer school, except in cases of impoverishment. Rep. Nora Espinoza, R-Roswell, cosponsored the bill. She said she was weary of discussions revolving around money rather than student achievement."

So we are going to fine parents for required summer school? We fine parents for the incarceration of their children, who have been determined by some invalid assessment to be "underperforming?"

Typical how Republican Nora finds talk about money boring, while the rest of us struggle to keep above water ...
columbum

Deming, NM

#15 Mar 4, 2011
the answer: Bilingual Education
Real American

Eugene, OR

#16 Mar 5, 2011
Not Again wrote:
It would also be great, if teachers got off their butts and taught. Like they did when I was in school. Not just from, their desk and then send homework home. That's the unions at work for ya. And teachers not doing a job well.
Real American

Eugene, OR

#17 Mar 5, 2011
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
What I have to say to that is, "BULL"! Teachers taught years ago. That's what we pay them to do. We don't pay them so we can do their job for them. They have 7 hours to teach and if they can't do that. Fire them and hire someone who can.
If I hadn't done my work in 7 hours,I would have lost my job. My boss,(and rightly so) would have gotten someone who did do the job. Simple as that.
If we are gonna have to do teacher's jobs, homeschool our children and save alot of money.
Real American

Eugene, OR

#18 Mar 5, 2011
Deming Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
The teachers go to college, get licensed to teach and then get hired. They do the job they do and it depends on the administration what they produce or can "get away with." Some employees, in any field of work, will get away with doing as little as possible. It is up to the supervisors to monitor this, correct it, or let the employee(s) go. Teachers blame parents, parents blame teachers. Ever heard "it takes the village"?
No, it takes people, doing what they were hired to do. TEACHERS! I never had homework back in my school days. We got it done in school. Period!
My grandchildern had homework sent home with them, the very first day of school. That's just outrageous.
My children had to grade other kids papers in the Deming schools, back in the 1970's and 1980's. The teachers would have the kids pass the papers back to the one behind them, tell the answers and the children graded the papers.
God help you, if the kid behind you didn't like you. As happened to my daughter. I had to take off work to to see the teacher, to show her where the paper was graded wrong. That should never have happened. Just do your job and all will be fine.
If a teacher doesn't know how to keep children's attention, she/he, should be re-evaluated and another teacher brought in who can do the job.
Deming Resident

Deming, NM

#19 Mar 10, 2011
Real American wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it takes people, doing what they were hired to do. TEACHERS! I never had homework back in my school days. We got it done in school. Period!
My grandchildern had homework sent home with them, the very first day of school. That's just outrageous.
My children had to grade other kids papers in the Deming schools, back in the 1970's and 1980's. The teachers would have the kids pass the papers back to the one behind them, tell the answers and the children graded the papers.
God help you, if the kid behind you didn't like you. As happened to my daughter. I had to take off work to to see the teacher, to show her where the paper was graded wrong. That should never have happened. Just do your job and all will be fine.
If a teacher doesn't know how to keep children's attention, she/he, should be re-evaluated and another teacher brought in who can do the job.
Exactly! Some teachers do the minimum and some do the maximum. Teachers who are not doing what they should be doing need to be replaced, but that just does not happen all the time. This is up to administration! As for parents, they are their children's first teachers. By the time our children start school in pre-K or kindergarten, they should know A LOT! When they come home from school EVERY DAY, we should ask what they did, reinforce those skills at home, and keep in contact with their teachers. That makes a good parent. My son is in kindergarten and he comes home with homework...thank God he has a teacher who wants him to learn at school and for me to reinforce those skills at home. Him knowing that education is valued all around makes for a good education.
soccer rocks

Socorro, NM

#20 Mar 10, 2011
well im in the 7th grade and we have home work ever days and ever weak. mostly in mr.zac swoboda. we gives us vocab. on mondays, worksheets on tuesday and thursday,test on thursdays,and AR and fridays-we also do a agenda check.

ITS SYUPID WE LEARN READING IT NOT YOU FAILING US BY OUR GRADES ON THE WORKSHEET!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grants Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The marquee outside the Top Deck bar in Farming... 6 hr Dine-007 5
Min Min Apr 27 Redneck 1
News Homelessness identified as top issue in Farming... (May '14) Jan '16 Go figr 29
News Weird New Mexico: Bigfoot Sightings (Oct '11) Nov '15 Isaac 115
News handicapped space Nov '15 Victor 2
Martial Arts in Thoreau? (Nov '15) Nov '15 laofu 1
News Arts Scene (Feb '15) Nov '15 curenado 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grants Mortgages