Navajo drug investigation leads to 9 ...

Navajo drug investigation leads to 9 arrests

There are 22 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Oct 20, 2010, titled Navajo drug investigation leads to 9 arrests. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

A five-month investigation by federal agents has led to the arrest of nine western New Mexico residents on drug trafficking charges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
az ndn

United States

#1 Oct 21, 2010
good to hear that the Navajo Nation allows the federal people to catch the drug dealers alot of other ndn reservations land think they can handle but they dont have the time to look for the drug dealers and it will grow and grow till something bad happens then they will wake up from the mess they left behind
Proud

Vanderwagen, NM

#2 Oct 21, 2010
I went to report a meth dealer to NN police 4 years ago after an addict went nuts with a huge kitchen knife, 4 years later, that dealer is still in business and no response from NNPD, I asked the police chief if he was in on that business and he didn't reply.
abc

Farmington, NM

#3 Oct 21, 2010
your communities suck
HULIO

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Oct 21, 2010
abc wrote:
your communities suck
Yours isn't any better.
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#6 Oct 21, 2010
I am curious why there is such a large population of Native Americans that I see constantly drunk off their AZZSes. And it is alarming that they seem to be much younger nowadays. I know that NAs are more sensitive to alcohol and it would steer me away just on that basis alone. Are the nations so blind to not see this? To me, it seems like I see more and more passed out on a regular basis. I do not know but I am wondering if there is anything being done within the nations to stop drug and alcohol abuse. I believe this should take priority over everything and it is really sad to see.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#7 Oct 21, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
I am curious why there is such a large population of Native Americans that I see constantly drunk off their AZZSes. And it is alarming that they seem to be much younger nowadays. I know that NAs are more sensitive to alcohol and it would steer me away just on that basis alone. Are the nations so blind to not see this? To me, it seems like I see more and more passed out on a regular basis. I do not know but I am wondering if there is anything being done within the nations to stop drug and alcohol abuse. I believe this should take priority over everything and it is really sad to see.
Im native american and i agree. Its hard to have people consider you as a drunk. Even if you dont drink and work hard!! Native americans need to stop making this a problem!! And stop beening so racist!! Ever since I moved to Wyoming i gotta say its refreshing not to see my people drunk and begging for money in the parking lots.
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#8 Oct 21, 2010
solidtweak wrote:
<quoted text>
Im native american and i agree. Its hard to have people consider you as a drunk. Even if you dont drink and work hard!! Native americans need to stop making this a problem!! And stop beening so racist!! Ever since I moved to Wyoming i gotta say its refreshing not to see my people drunk and begging for money in the parking lots.
Thanks,

I was afraid that I would be called racist right off the bat. I just think this really needs to be dealt with in some different or more of an aggressive way. Not sure how. Maybe it is being dealt with seriously but it is terrible to see so many young NAs like this.
April

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Oct 21, 2010
i think they should leave all the natives alone... they do they own thing they got their own land n the juras just need to back off na????
Baby Nan

Santa Fe, NM

#10 Oct 21, 2010
Because were Natives Huh... And the White man took uor land! And leave us Natives alone...
huhhh

Mclean, VA

#11 Oct 21, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
++++++++++

It's because they many of them have low self esteem. And others won't leave the reservations because they are either afraid of the outside world or other accuses... I have always said education is the key. They need to go to college and use that education they earned towards improving their lives. Poverty causes many people to turn to alcohol and/or drugs, so they could live in their virtual reality--this goes for all races not just Native American Indians.
huhhh

Mclean, VA

#12 Oct 21, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
++++++++++

It's because many of them have low self esteem. And others won't leave the reservations because they are either afraid of the outside world or other accuses... I have always said education is the key. They need to go to college and use that education they earned towards improving their lives. Poverty causes many people to turn to alcohol and/or drugs, so they could live in their virtual reality--this goes for all races not just Native American Indians.

dang, those typos...
hogan hero

Chinle, AZ

#13 Oct 21, 2010
Way to go, Navajo Nation Law Enforcement, keep out those criminals from our tribal land.
Abel Yazzie

Fort Defiance, AZ

#14 Oct 21, 2010
Good job... Get them off the street, so that the drugs can't not be sold to kids of all ages... Keep up the good job, law enforcement
MP Man

Rio Rancho, NM

#15 Oct 21, 2010
Good job, pd officers.
NA Drinking 101

Salt Lake City, UT

#16 Oct 22, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
You probably won't get this, like many other people who aren't native or ever lived on the rez with genuine NAs. This topix is regarding the Navajos, so you're writing about them. From my viewpoint, being a Navajo drunk, I'll tell you what I think. The Navajo nation has become more like the US. There are so many pressing issues, that its dog-eat-dog in some situations. There are so many Navajos now becoming like the majority race that alot of them don't care for others. Clan relationships, ke' or common courtesy and manners are becoming rare. They don't know who they are related to anymore. In the past, such as in my childhood, we were introduced to all our relatives and taught what role each one plays in our lives, and vice-versa. That is not happening anymore.

Now, about boozing. I'm speaking for myself as a binge drinker. I went into myself and wanted something more than remembrances of wild parties as my legacy. I wanted something more out of life and that is a personal choice that these drinkers have to choose. They have to want something more than booze or drugs to make it. It's a personal choice. I work in a rehab now, and its the same in all races. They all use whatever to get high or feel good, nor numb themselves from the reality of living. It's hard for a lot of people.

All I can say is get educated in your neighbors, your family, your own personal life. I've learned if I mix 4 different beers with gin, whiskey, vodka, etc., I will be very sick, so I don't mix all that. I now try to keep my life simple. I control my drinking, I gave up smoking, and I have 2 good jobs, working in a legal setting and the other in a rehab center. My ministry is working with criminals and crazy people. It reminds me everyday that I could be in either group if I'm not careful. Oh, the main thing that helped me is Grace from God that saved me. May God bless you and all those struggling with getting back on track. Keep knocking and the door shall be opened.
ThankGOD

Surprise, AZ

#17 Oct 22, 2010
Good work!
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#18 Oct 22, 2010
NA Drinking 101 wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably won't get this, like many other people who aren't native or ever lived on the rez with genuine NAs. This topix is regarding the Navajos, so you're writing about them. From my viewpoint, being a Navajo drunk, I'll tell you what I think. The Navajo nation has become more like the US. There are so many pressing issues, that its dog-eat-dog in some situations. There are so many Navajos now becoming like the majority race that alot of them don't care for others. Clan relationships, ke' or common courtesy and manners are becoming rare. They don't know who they are related to anymore. In the past, such as in my childhood, we were introduced to all our relatives and taught what role each one plays in our lives, and vice-versa. That is not happening anymore.
Now, about boozing. I'm speaking for myself as a binge drinker. I went into myself and wanted something more than remembrances of wild parties as my legacy. I wanted something more out of life and that is a personal choice that these drinkers have to choose. They have to want something more than booze or drugs to make it. It's a personal choice. I work in a rehab now, and its the same in all races. They all use whatever to get high or feel good, nor numb themselves from the reality of living. It's hard for a lot of people.
All I can say is get educated in your neighbors, your family, your own personal life. I've learned if I mix 4 different beers with gin, whiskey, vodka, etc., I will be very sick, so I don't mix all that. I now try to keep my life simple. I control my drinking, I gave up smoking, and I have 2 good jobs, working in a legal setting and the other in a rehab center. My ministry is working with criminals and crazy people. It reminds me everyday that I could be in either group if I'm not careful. Oh, the main thing that helped me is Grace from God that saved me. May God bless you and all those struggling with getting back on track. Keep knocking and the door shall be opened.
Thanks for your post. I am glad that you have resolved things in your life. Maybe the youth need to see more role models like you. I do know some Navajos and they have always treated me good and welcomed me into their houses like family. When I visit, they always make sure I take home some churro and dah diniilghaazh.

I also have good friends from Isleta pueblo. And man, they know how to drink too. I have been to many events there and treated as an insider. Funerals, weddings and the like. And I also notice alot of suicides. I have seen alot.

Something really has to be done. I don't see it getting better. At least not from my viewpoint. I see alot more NAs than any other race on the streets of Burque here and it is sad. Seems like there are more lately. And even alot of young women. Again, thanks for your post. You seem to be very intelligent and wise. And again, I hope you continue to beat the demons within you.
yeah

United States

#19 Oct 22, 2010
Speaking as a Navajo, here is the straight truth. In general, Navajos are becoming lost and lost everyday. Its true, Education is the key. We need to all learn to become independent. Not as a people but as individuals. Become an asset to the community and country as a whole. When our ancestors decided to surrender, they said yes, we will learn about this Western Philosophy. "We'll send our kids to school." They didn't say "go out and party or smoke that weed." The whole reason they accepted a surrender was for us to live well. To prosper and become good men and women of this world. Its sad to see more and more of our youth caught up in the negative culture rather than the one that means the most. Being Dine'. It has nothing to do with being racial. Its time for our ppl to pick up some strength and stop looking for someone to blame our miss fortunes. Its all on an indivdual to decide how they want to live. This racial blame is gone on to long and does nothing to help anyone.
xxx

Farmington, NM

#20 Oct 22, 2010
I m Navajo and don't mess with drugs and never had a sip of alcohol in my life. Sterotyping makes every one looks bad. And every community has it good and bad. So suck mr. perfect haha
maximusandz

Phoenix, AZ

#21 Oct 23, 2010
Here in the four corners there are drug task forces made up of all forms of law inforcement and they come and go. Some are more successful than others.....

I am proud of anyone who is fighting daily against alcoholism and drugs....as they know one slip could erase all of the hard work. Race does not matter....
As with all substance abuse, it is a CHOICE, one can blame it on anything they want to, but in the end, to use or not is a CHOICE....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grants Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Weird New Mexico: Bigfoot Sightings (Oct '11) Sep 22 reese 116
News Identity Inc. presents anti-hate crimes rally Sep 20 Ralph 10
News Complaint prompts investigation at Golden Corra... (Aug '14) Sep 16 Debby 7
News handicapped space (Nov '15) Aug 28 hmmm 40
News Mount Taylor's status in the air (Jun '08) Jul '16 Gunga 7
News The marquee outside the Top Deck bar in Farming... May '16 Jenni 13
Min Min Apr '16 Redneck 1

Grants Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grants Mortgages