Salt cost will make winter road clearing pricier

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

West Michigan witnessed the first pea-sized signs of winter Sunday: scattered hail seen from Grant to Sand Lake to Byron Center.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
just me

Waukegan, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Judged:

They're paying more for salt, but WAY less for gas...doesn't that kind of even things out??? Or does gas not get budgeted in? I don't know how that works, so please don't flame me!!!:)
Chad

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

I'm just glad that even though the state highways will cost more to de-ice, we have nice, new, shiny exit signs and mile markers, not to mention replacing all the dull, faded guard rails. Way to go!!!(Too bad some of that money couldn't have been passed on to counties for REAL safety needs.)

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

just me wrote:
They're paying more for salt, but WAY less for gas...doesn't that kind of even things out??? Or does gas not get budgeted in? I don't know how that works, so please don't flame me!!!:)
They aren't paying any less for Diesel than they were last year. Remember, fuel prices didn't start skyrocketing until spring. On my way back from florida last march I averaged $2.79 a gallon for regular, and Diesel hasn't come down in recent weeks as much as gasoline has.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Chad wrote:
I'm just glad that even though the state highways will cost more to de-ice, we have nice, new, shiny exit signs and mile markers, not to mention replacing all the dull, faded guard rails. Way to go!!!(Too bad some of that money couldn't have been passed on to counties for REAL safety needs.)
Yeah, isn't that nice? That's what happens when the State gets Federal Highway funds. They can only be used for the purpose they were granted, not for maintenance or safety reasons. We would be a whole lot better off if the States just kept that money in the first place, rather than sending it to Washington and having it redistributed.

Since: Jul 08

Kentwood MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

How very special. Salt costs more, so rather than tighten their belts and salt the roads less, they will spend more tax dollars. Why? Because they can. "Back in the day" we didn't have such wonderfully cleared roads at the first flake that fell.
And, to pour more "salt" into the wound, they will still be whining and crying in February and March that they are running out of salt. And the beat goes on.
LC
Ben

Fennville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Save money: privatize it.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Lamont Cranston wrote:
How very special. Salt costs more, so rather than tighten their belts and salt the roads less, they will spend more tax dollars. Why? Because they can. "Back in the day" we didn't have such wonderfully cleared roads at the first flake that fell.
And, to pour more "salt" into the wound, they will still be whining and crying in February and March that they are running out of salt. And the beat goes on.
LC
Oh they are cutting back. I know here in Ottawa county that if you live in a sub-division or just not on a main road, you'd better plan on being snowed in for 2 or 3 days before the plows come through now.
Yooper

Seymour, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, isn't that nice? That's what happens when the State gets Federal Highway funds. They can only be used for the purpose they were granted, not for maintenance or safety reasons. We would be a whole lot better off if the States just kept that money in the first place, rather than sending it to Washington and having it redistributed.
They are just trying to practice His Royal Majesty O'sama's edict of spreading the wealth around.
Scott

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Same song and dance every year.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Ben wrote:
Save money: privatize it.
Good idea, however the "privative card" usually works only when it's for everyone but you and your job. Would love to hear county workers who are all for privatizing with the schools feel about privatizing their jobs.
Chad

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh they are cutting back. I know here in Ottawa county that if you live in a sub-division or just not on a main road, you'd better plan on being snowed in for 2 or 3 days before the plows come through now.
True, but when the plows do come through, expect several hundred pounds of salt to come with them. As a kid, our road only got sand and never saw salt unless we got an ice storm. Now, they salt it EVERY time they plow. I used to snowmobile on our road, now the kids rollerblade on it many times (no kidding!)

“michigan weather?!?”

Since: Apr 08

middleville mi

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Chad wrote:
<quoted text>True, but when the plows do come through, expect several hundred pounds of salt to come with them. As a kid, our road only got sand and never saw salt unless we got an ice storm. Now, they salt it EVERY time they plow. I used to snowmobile on our road, now the kids rollerblade on it many times (no kidding!)
not to sure they dont use sand until salt is needed
CHAD

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

On my country road, I would rather they put sand down instead of salt. The salt melts the snow and ice some, but my road seems to be iced over all winter
Brian

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

Lamont Cranston wrote:
LC
Road Commissions get their funding from the Gas Tax which hasn't been raised in years. With gas as high as it was, the tax the Road Commissions received was the same. People drove less, Road Commissions received less. While the idea of cutting back sounds great and I'm all for it, people still expect their sub division streets to be bare pavement and the highways to be bare pavement and that is just not realistic anymore. The public expects way too much - all people need to do is slow down in the winter and take their time. Can't have it both ways!!

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

Chad wrote:
<quoted text>True, but when the plows do come through, expect several hundred pounds of salt to come with them. As a kid, our road only got sand and never saw salt unless we got an ice storm. Now, they salt it EVERY time they plow. I used to snowmobile on our road, now the kids rollerblade on it many times (no kidding!)
A big part of that is what the public expects. If THEIR road isn't cleared down to bare pavement, the Road Commission gets angry phone calls from residents.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

I still don't understand why we just don't use sand.

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

just me wrote:
Big trucks use diesel....

“So what!!”

Lakeview, Mi.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

Lucy in Rockford wrote:
I still don't understand why we just don't use sand.
Sand is for traction on ice,salt melts ice and helps remove snow from blacktop after the road is plowed and remaining snow is packed down below snowplow/blade depth to remove it from road. Where I live our road is NEVER salted and I may be stranded for days as the county plows have gotten stuck on our road due to 6 foot drifts. Glad I have a snowmobile to get my beer.LOL
RAB

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

just me wrote:
They're actually paying way more for diesel than they did last winter and diesel really hasn't come down anywhere near what gas has.

“ACLU--Jihad with a law degree”

Since: Sep 08

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

Chad wrote:
This is strange\stupid. A few years back I was in LA. The signs were so faded you could barely read them. But ours get replaced every 3 years it seems like.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grant Discussions

Search the Grant Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
gospel concert Jul 19 Luci 1
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jun 30 TruthBeTold 5,481
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
yep Jun '14 what the really 1
Parents Voice Concerns Over School Bus Stop; Di... May '14 Lisa Briggs 1
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grant Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grant People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••