Bus accident near Grant sends childre...

Bus accident near Grant sends children to hospital

There are 25 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Oct 2, 2007, titled Bus accident near Grant sends children to hospital. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Grant - Officials in Newaygo County are on scene where an accident with a Grant Public Schools bus has injured several children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Former Schoolbus Rider

Fremont, MI

#23 Oct 3, 2007
The first thing that comes to my mind concerning this situation, is that the driver of the second bus couldn't have been paying close attention to what was in front of her at that time! The question is, why not? If the accident was caused by a faulty break system, why wasn't that problem found during bus inspections? Or maybe those aren't done anymore? Twenty-five years ago when I rode the school bus, we all sat facing the front & stayed in our seats or the bus driver would pull over in a safe area, and would stay put until we sat down! It worked for us! Sitting down facing the front, plus using seatbelts, would save injuries from happening & even save lives!

Hudsonville, MI

#24 Oct 4, 2007
TMH wrote:
crossing guards wont work if anything it will hold up traffic even more and kids will find ways to avoid it anyways. And maybe we should try to shy away from our 94'(year) busses that do not have anti-lock brakes. The new one that got hit had them and stopped just fine the one that did not took longer to stop which then caused the "accident". Don't say that if the children were seated correctly they woudlnt have been hurt, the majority of them were in their seats right and recived head trauma from slamming their head into the seat or to the window. And if you all know the accident was literally 20 feet away from where the busses trun out of so the bus had jsut pulled out and probaly got around 10mph maybe 15 pushing it so it's just a accident. I just appriciate how 3 people got hit in another location and sometihng was just done about it last year but when we have 1 bus accidnet where kids are clearly alot safer then being hit in person we freak out and automatically something is FINALLY DONE about this hazzardous zone.
ABS brakes? Were the roads wet or icy? ABS brakes only work on slippery conditions, they have no greater affect when the roads are dry! Some of the school buss did have ABS back in 94, I do not know about that bus, but the system was available. Oh and if the kids were seated correctly, they would not have been hurt badly, this means sitting down facing foward and all the way back in the seat. Don't get me wrong, seat belts would e a good idea but I don't see them being cost effective. How many major injuries or fatalities have you seen in school buss?

Safford, AZ

#25 Oct 4, 2007
My daughter was on the bus that was hit and was taken to the hospital by ambulance.The bus driver who was driving told her students to go get on their bus to go home even though some of them were saying their necks and backs hurt. More than 3 kids were taken by ambulance. Their were 4 ambulances there and each ambulance had 3 to four students. There are 2 versions of the accident one which was told to the parents and one which was reported by the news so which one is correct. I think the situation was handled badly. The drivers are still driving even though the accident investigation is'nt done. We can all say things but I as a parent want to know what actually happened.

Grand Rapids, MI

#26 Oct 4, 2007
A simple solution would be to put a walkway over the road, then we would not have children trying to cross the road at all and we would not have to hire crossing guards. It would cost upfront but it would not be a continuous bill. I for one would donate to this project to help the school. Children cross here in the morning and the afternoon plus each gym class crosses back and forth to use the weight room numerous times through out the day. As for this particular accident, it has been an accident waiting to happen. Even though, the bus driver that hit the first one should get a ticket. If their record is clean then all is said and done, if not then they will have to look at how many points this person has and make a decision from there. As for the bus driver that was hit, I understand she moved the bus to the middle school, well I am sure this person must have been very shook up and the kids screaming and hollering. That would fluster anyone, I wouldn't neccesarily call it leaving the scene she/he just moved a distance away. This person didn't actually leave.
Ken Sand Lake MI

Somerville, NJ

#27 Oct 8, 2007
Edward wrote:
<quoted text>
TOUR BUS?! Wow why don't you go look at a bus you moron. Did you realise that the tour buss are not built near as well as the school buss. Don't tell me that you have done your research, you have not! I work on these buss every single day. If you had a smidgen of an idea of what you are talking about you would know that school buss are the same chassis as a straight truck going up and down the road! But as you are ignorant you would not know this! To say that a bus is like an aluminum sided mobile home trailer?! What a tool you are. Why don't you go watch more worthless T.V. "yeah C-Span is always right". Stop breathing through your mouth, get your tongue off the window and READ. DUMBA$$
Amen Edward!! Obviously the bus Blue water rode on Was the Short Bus, with restraints (but not traditional seat belts).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing man found dead in Northern Michigan pond (Jan '15) 15 hr MOMlosed 2
News Winner of $57M Mega Millions has criminal record (Jun '08) May '15 Kimberly Hayward 149
News Humane Society says kitten's ears intentionally... (Dec '07) Apr '15 Go Blue Forever 181
News Caught on tape: man beats dogs (Mar '08) Feb '15 Charles Woodard jr 155
gospel concert (Jul '14) Jul '14 Luci 1
yep (Jun '14) Jun '14 what the really 1
News Parents Voice Concerns Over School Bus Stop; Di... (May '14) May '14 Lisa Briggs 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grant Mortgages