Bus accident near Grant sends children to hospital

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Grant - Officials in Newaygo County are on scene where an accident with a Grant Public Schools bus has injured several children.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Oct 8, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Kings water is blue

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Cheap junk. Never buy a ford.
The lesson here is none of them should have been injured if it was a German bus that is equipped with seatbelts! How hard is it for these government and school buffoons to realize that if seatbelts are the law for vehicles, it means ALLLLLLLLL vehicles!! What the hell safety study do you need to conduct that hasn't already been done!! Is it so hard to implement 4 point safety harnesses or shoulder belts on buses? NO! Get rid of those idiotic bench seats and put buckets in. MORONS.
This is the most perfect business opportunity in the world for someone to put the idiots at ford out of business for their bus manufacturing line by introducing foreign made buses that incorporate higher safety standards.
dmm

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Candy wrote:
my niece was a student on one of these buses and from what she and the other students have said, the bus driver should be charged with hit and run,negligence, and child endangerment. This driver has NO business transporting our kids anyplace.
Someone can not get charged with hit and run when they did not run. It hit another bus with students. That is alot of reponsibility to drive a school bus with students. We all no that listening to hormonal teenagers like to stretch things a little bit. Just thank the good lord that nobody got seriously hurt and that the bus held up at those speeds. Lets not speculate until we have the whole story.
Hey

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Yes candy...you can't just say it was a hit and run, when the driver didn't run!!! that doesn't even make sense. Second of all i wouldn't just believe your neice, teenagers don't always tell the truth! Lets just be thankful no one was seriously injured. I read on another article that brake failure may have caused the accident, but thy are not positive.
mhl

Coleman, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Let's not play the blame game so quickly! I am actually quite impressed by the lack of accidents of school buses with the amount of time they are on the road with 50-70 kids versus personal vehicles. Let's give them a chance to figure out what happened.
Melissa

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

This is good nobody was really badly hurt i am glad everyone is ok and that things will be back to normal.bye for now god is with you and these kids.
bored

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

friend of mine was there, some kids were crossing the road at a cross walk, the bus in front stopped and the second bus didnt, its that simple, stop trying to complicate things, give the one that failed to stop a suspension and everything will be fine, the speed limit through there is only twenty five, being that they had kids on, and they had to turn into the school, which is right there where the accident was, they probably wernt going that fast. the kids on the bus that got hurt are just as much to blame as the bus driver, i guarantee not a one of them was sitting in the seat like youre sopposed to, back to the seat eyes front, used to ride the bus to school just a year ago, they were probably sitting backwards and sideways and such
Edward

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

The Kings water is blue wrote:
Cheap junk. Never buy a ford.
The lesson here is none of them should have been injured if it was a German bus that is equipped with seatbelts! How hard is it for these government and school buffoons to realize that if seatbelts are the law for vehicles, it means ALLLLLLLLL vehicles!! What the hell safety study do you need to conduct that hasn't already been done!! Is it so hard to implement 4 point safety harnesses or shoulder belts on buses? NO! Get rid of those idiotic bench seats and put buckets in. MORONS.
This is the most perfect business opportunity in the world for someone to put the idiots at ford out of business for their bus manufacturing line by introducing foreign made buses that incorporate higher safety standards.
WOW you need to do some research, first of all those buss are NOT fords, they are internationals. Ford has not made a bus for years! Second, ford never made a bus body, if you knew anything about buss(which you should have a little knowledge before spewing off your filthy little mouth like this) you would know that bus bodys are made by a very few companys. Third, they do have buss with seat belts, however they are not needed due to the design of the seats, and if the kids were sitting correctly it is very likely no one would have been hurt. The federal and state goverments are the ones who regulate the seat belt requirments in school buss, not the manufacturer. I know the manufacturer would be more than happy to put in seat belts, why don't we just taise your taxes to do that, and hey while we are at it why dont we get rid of the wooden floor that they have and replace it with car like steel. you know the stuff that does not hold up in an accident. Then we can put in bucket seats instead of bench seats, why dont we add cup holders and dvd players while we are at it. Our kids deserve to be pampered all the time. WAIT I have a better idea, lets through away the buss and just get limo's, they have seat belts, cup holders and dvd players, why are we waisting our money on buss.
THE POINT IS BUSS ARE SAFE, NOT MADE BY FORD. DON'T TYPE THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T SUPPORT, DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GO OFF LIKE THIS, YOU SIR/MADAM ARE THE MORON!!
Oh and by the way Ford is not cheap junk, one of the safest on the road. research it. especially their Lincoln line!
The kings water is blue

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

You've obviously never lived in Germany, where their kids ARE pampered to school riding on TOUR buses! I HAVE, so I KNOW what I'm talking about. FORD, INTERNATIONAL, they're all the same JUNK.

You like your kids riding to school in a aluminum sided mobile home trailer with the rigidity of a wet paper bag? I sure as heck don't. Why is it whenever there IS a school bus accident, there are always injuries reported? I watched a whole boring hour of C-SPAN while school administrators debated the politics of seat belts in school buses. They WANT them, but don't have the money to invest in them because the manufacturers are CHEAP and greedy. Just like the US auto industry not implementing whiplash protection headrests or ESP.

The fact is, this country is in the dark ages of automotive safety standards, and that is DOUBLE for public transportation. These bus safety standards haven't been upgraded or improved on for DECADES. Those bench seats are DANGEROUS and provide no buffer in a rollover or front/side impact. Your kids brain will be plastered to the d.a.m.n roof.
Cork

Spring Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

From what I saw of the video on the morning news today, I think the buses should have the right of way at that crosswalk. Having the buses stop for every kid that goes lolly gagging across there is just asking for something like this to happen.
oranjeboom

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

A number of years ago I experienced a similar situation. Drove a schoolbus one morning and rear ended the one in front of me. I stood on the brakes but the bus didn't slow down. Kids were send to the hospital, one girl had a broken arm. the rest of them were fine. The bus driver (me) was subjected drug and alcohol tests which proved no drugs or alcohol was involved. The bus was towed to the bus yard and examined by the State Police which declared the bus to be functionally fine. Sort of difficult when the bus was damaged beyond the point of being able to drive it. Driver (me) fined $90.00 It all shows that the school must always come accross to the community as an organization where students come first. And when this means that a mechanical problem with a schoolbus comes to light, the driver will still be responsible. I wish the driver best of luck!
Mom - Aunt

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

My daughter & niece were on the bus that crashed into the bus in front. They were sitting next to each other, my daughter, like you mentioned, was sitting incorrectly in the seat with her back towards the window. My niece was sitting correctly in her seat. Can you guess who was injured? My niece. In fact, quite a few of the injured kids were sitting correctly in their seats. Which goes to show you, seatbelts would have prevented those injuries, from sprained wrists to brusied throats.
The bus that did the hitting may have had mechanical failure, the driver mentioned that on the scene to the kids. Also, it was the bus that got hit that left the scence of the accident and in fact no one from that bus was sent to the hospital by the school. There were only 3 transported to the hospital from the 2nd bus from the scene of the accident. The rest of the kids had to be brought in by their parents after they got home from school. I believe that is were the irresponsibility lies in this case. Lets be thankful it wasn't worse that it was.
Kim

Encino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

The kings water is blue wrote:
You've obviously never lived in Germany, where their kids ARE pampered to school riding on TOUR buses! I HAVE, so I KNOW what I'm talking about. FORD, INTERNATIONAL, they're all the same JUNK.
You like your kids riding to school in a aluminum sided mobile home trailer with the rigidity of a wet paper bag? I sure as heck don't. Why is it whenever there IS a school bus accident, there are always injuries reported? I watched a whole boring hour of C-SPAN while school administrators debated the politics of seat belts in school buses. They WANT them, but don't have the money to invest in them because the manufacturers are CHEAP and greedy. Just like the US auto industry not implementing whiplash protection headrests or ESP.
The fact is, this country is in the dark ages of automotive safety standards, and that is DOUBLE for public transportation. These bus safety standards haven't been upgraded or improved on for DECADES. Those bench seats are DANGEROUS and provide no buffer in a rollover or front/side impact. Your kids brain will be plastered to the d.a.m.n roof.
Wow, whether you may or may not be right, your attitude tells me GO BACK TO GERMANY.
Edward

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

The kings water is blue wrote:
TOUR BUS?! Wow why don't you go look at a bus you moron. Did you realise that the tour buss are not built near as well as the school buss. Don't tell me that you have done your research, you have not! I work on these buss every single day. If you had a smidgen of an idea of what you are talking about you would know that school buss are the same chassis as a straight truck going up and down the road! But as you are ignorant you would not know this! To say that a bus is like an aluminum sided mobile home trailer?! What a tool you are. Why don't you go watch more worthless T.V. "yeah C-Span is always right". Stop breathing through your mouth, get your tongue off the window and READ. DUMBA$$
Lucy

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

I'm confused - one bus driver hit another bus that was stopping for a cross-walk, and they think they need to "do something about that crosswalk and the traffic there"??!! How about the bus driver who wasn't paying attention?

“Believe me, Its not a phase!!!”

Since: Apr 07

Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

Mom - Aunt wrote:
My daughter & niece were on the bus that crashed into the bus in front. They were sitting next to each other, my daughter, like you mentioned, was sitting incorrectly in the seat with her back towards the window. My niece was sitting correctly in her seat. Can you guess who was injured? My niece. In fact, quite a few of the injured kids were sitting correctly in their seats. Which goes to show you, seatbelts would have prevented those injuries, from sprained wrists to brusied throats.
The bus that did the hitting may have had mechanical failure, the driver mentioned that on the scene to the kids. Also, it was the bus that got hit that left the scence of the accident and in fact no one from that bus was sent to the hospital by the school. There were only 3 transported to the hospital from the 2nd bus from the scene of the accident. The rest of the kids had to be brought in by their parents after they got home from school. I believe that is were the irresponsibility lies in this case. Lets be thankful it wasn't worse that it was.
I agree too that seatbelts should be put in buses. I know the design of the seat is suppose to prevent injuries, but how many of us have seen videos where the buses bounce and we see the kids go flying up. I know riding the bus when I was younger, we would go down bumpy dirt roads and roads that had hills, and if the bus hit a bump just right we would go flying upwards. The problem is, the bus driver cannot possibly keep their eyes on all those children and drive safely at the same time, and because of that most kids do not sit in their seats properly. Its not negligence on the bus driver part, its that children dont often do as they are told. I just think that we could keep our children safer if there were seatbelts. I know that the smaller preschool age children have to ride the buses that have the seatbelts, so why are we not requiring our older children to buckle up as well??
dan meyer

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

I live in grant, doesn't appear to be the traffic pattern, it appears to be driver error! doesn't matter what the traffic pattern is if one stops and the other doesn't. I question the claim that is was a slow speed impact, with the damage done to the front of the bus it would appear it wasn't "crawling" down the road in a 25 mph zone.
A Grant Parent

Grant, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

It has been a problem for a long time in that area. They only have corssing guards at certain points. In the evening when you pick up kids it is complete traffic jam and in the morning. I never let my kids ride the bus because they had started and my kids had gotten harrassed and the bus driver did nothing so I drive them myself. But just earlier this year a child was hit in front of the Grant Elementary because they were trying to cross the road to go to school and they were not seriously injured but then they put up flashing pedestrian signs telling us to stop. I think they just need to put lights in somewhere because even in the morning you can not get your child to certain spots because traffic is backed up and you will wait in lines for 15 minutes to get from Elder onto 120th so the smart ones will do a U turn in the middle school parking lot and come out on 120th to begin with and who cares about the people waiting on Elder to get onto 120th by stop sign. That is wrong and there should be a light. I know with budget cuts they can't afford crossing guards but someone will have to do it before something more serious happens and there is a lawsuit. And besides all of this why does the news 13 only come out when something bad happens? They never come our way to report good news. That is why we never hardly watch your news since you do not report any local news for us.
Volunteer

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

I would like to suggest, that at the next school board meeting, parents of high school students get together and bring their willing children (even if you have to bribe them) in and offer to volunteer as crossing guards.

Let the school outfit them with hand held stop signs and bright orange smocks. They should also prepare them with lessons on how to get traffic to stop and how to run if it doesn’t. Ok…that part was just a joke but I do not see why we should PAY crossing guards when there are so many able bodied young men and women. That is just my thought.
KAJ

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

I was one of the students on the bus and for one sorry we cant afford nice *** buses like the ppl in Germany! and no it wasnt a hit and run! cuz the bus driver didnt run, it was just a little bump its not like the bus behind us was goin 50!
TMH

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

crossing guards wont work if anything it will hold up traffic even more and kids will find ways to avoid it anyways. And maybe we should try to shy away from our 94'(year) busses that do not have anti-lock brakes. The new one that got hit had them and stopped just fine the one that did not took longer to stop which then caused the "accident". Don't say that if the children were seated correctly they woudlnt have been hurt, the majority of them were in their seats right and recived head trauma from slamming their head into the seat or to the window. And if you all know the accident was literally 20 feet away from where the busses trun out of so the bus had jsut pulled out and probaly got around 10mph maybe 15 pushing it so it's just a accident. I just appriciate how 3 people got hit in another location and sometihng was just done about it last year but when we have 1 bus accidnet where kids are clearly alot safer then being hit in person we freak out and automatically something is FINALLY DONE about this hazzardous zone.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Truthisgood 115
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482
gospel concert Jul '14 Luci 1
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul '14 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
yep Jun '14 what the really 1
Parents Voice Concerns Over School Bus Stop; Di... May '14 Lisa Briggs 1

Search the Grant Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Grant Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grant People Search