Grant business, Post Office at odds over deliveries

Ken Page owns A-Waste Sanitation Company in Newaygo County. Once each quarter, he sends out about 3,000 invoices. Full Story
TDJensen

United States

#21 May 10, 2008
Something odd about this. So many unaccounted-for pieces of mail have to be sitting somewhere.
K L E

Sturgis, MI

#22 May 10, 2008
I think if there is that many problems with the Post Office then maybe the company should give the opinion of emailing them their invoice so then maybe they will know they are getting it. There is a lot of people out there that pay their bills online and a lot of companys are going paperless for the people that perfer to do their bill paying online.
Mary Frances

Detroit, MI

#23 May 10, 2008
Great idea, but I don't think UPS offers any service for 42 cents.
Mike wrote:
Use UPS...it'll get there faster...
shs

United States

#24 May 10, 2008
check out freeport
Shanna-B

Youngstown, OH

#25 May 10, 2008
I am sadly disappointed that news 8 could air such a story without ever interviewing the post office. If the post office was not immediatly available than news 8 should not have aired the story as there are two sides to every story and clearly this lacks common sense. The postal service is the one service left that americans can count on. Postal workers are not highly paid for all the abuse they endure such as this. The post office is a great bargin compared to Fedex, UPS, or DSL and I will continue to use every sevice offered. While other services are charging more in fuel surcharges the post office is only raising the first class stamp one cent. I'd say that's great considering the rising cost of gas. Did you Know the post office just had a $800 million loss last quarter? Where is this mystery money people claim the post office has? They are losing money just like every other company. Finally, has anyone thought what would happen if privatization of the post office was allowed to happen? I know people out there think that it would automatically run more efficiently and the postage rates would be lower. Well, think again. What company in their right minds would pay these outrageous gas prices without a surcharge or continue to deliver to every house every day six days a week without any hope of capturing those costs back. The answer is no one. If privatization did occur, rates would go up even more and those people in rural counties [Grant?] would have to drive every day to pick up their mail at a centralized location, because all those local post offices would be shut down for good, because it would not be profitable to keep them open. Saturday delivery service would probably also be discontinued as well. So be careful for what you wish for, because all of the above would happen. I am sorry for A-1 Waste problems and it needs to be reconciled, but do not assume the post office does not care, their employees are facing hardships as well and are aware of the challenges ahead and the last thing anyone would do is not care about the delivery of mail accurately or worry about it arriving on time.

Since: Mar 08

Montague, MI

#26 May 11, 2008
Shanna-B wrote:
I am sadly disappointed that news 8 could air such a story without ever interviewing the post office. If the post office was not immediatly available than news 8 should not have aired the story as there are two sides to every story and clearly this lacks common sense. The postal service is the one service left that americans can count on. Postal workers are not highly paid for all the abuse they endure such as this. The post office is a great bargin compared to Fedex, UPS, or DSL and I will continue to use every sevice offered. While other services are charging more in fuel surcharges the post office is only raising the first class stamp one cent. I'd say that's great considering the rising cost of gas. Did you Know the post office just had a $800 million loss last quarter? Where is this mystery money people claim the post office has? They are losing money just like every other company. Finally, has anyone thought what would happen if privatization of the post office was allowed to happen? I know people out there think that it would automatically run more efficiently and the postage rates would be lower. Well, think again. What company in their right minds would pay these outrageous gas prices without a surcharge or continue to deliver to every house every day six days a week without any hope of capturing those costs back. The answer is no one. If privatization did occur, rates would go up even more and those people in rural counties [Grant?] would have to drive every day to pick up their mail at a centralized location, because all those local post offices would be shut down for good, because it would not be profitable to keep them open. Saturday delivery service would probably also be discontinued as well. So be careful for what you wish for, because all of the above would happen. I am sorry for A-1 Waste problems and it needs to be reconciled, but do not assume the post office does not care, their employees are facing hardships as well and are aware of the challenges ahead and the last thing anyone would do is not care about the delivery of mail accurately or worry about it arriving on time.
Its only a "bargain" if someone does their job.
bye-bye

Troy, MI

#27 May 11, 2008
Susanna wrote:
Maybe he should take all his bills to the Grand Rapids Main branch? Maybe there are more employees and more accountability.
All mail for cities that have a zip code that starts with 493, 494, or 495 goes through the Grand Rapids Processing & Distribution Center.
Chesty

United States

#28 May 11, 2008
"its only a bargain if someone does their job? We (Postal Employees) do our job day in and day out sure mistakes happen with automation mail gets eaten from time to time but we do the absolute best we can. one thing for certain from reading the article is that the company owner is no Donald Trump 4-5 months go by before you notice that bills arent getting paid? what are you smokin? Call the G.R post office and they'll look into your mailing issues. But get off this crap about people not doing their jobs.
Chesty

United States

#29 May 11, 2008
Fred wrote:
Typical of the Post Office. Poor service, increasing prices
How about if the price of a stamp went up along with the price of gas? There isnt a better bargain in mailing than the postal service. Oh and we give Great Service. Dont like the service? What dont you like? be specific. Is the mail delivered to your door? is it timely? Do you want your carrier to read it to you also?
Tina

United States

#30 May 11, 2008
K L E wrote:
I think if there is that many problems with the Post Office then maybe the company should give the opinion of emailing them their invoice so then maybe they will know they are getting it. There is a lot of people out there that pay their bills online and a lot of companys are going paperless for the people that perfer to do their bill paying online.
Paying your bills online is soooooo safe and secure.

NOT!!!!!
George

United States

#31 May 11, 2008
JIMMYK wrote:
If the post office can not get it right cut them out. He should have his employees deliver the bills by hand they stop at every house anyways. Pay the employees 42 cents for every bill they deliver. It would be a nice bonus for not much work. It just goes to show how slow government can be to react. This has been going on for a year, it probally would still be going on if it would not of hit the news. even if there was glare off the ink where did the bills go?? someone has to have them. Maybe the postal employees would understand if there was a glare on there pay checks for the next year.
so you're saying someone's willing to lose their job because they have a bill fetish? they're stealing bills? you are an idiot and probably an unemployed idiot. Need a job.....you're postal supervision material
George

United States

#32 May 11, 2008
CCC wrote:
I wish one of these people who win the big lotteries or someone with buttloads of money would start up a competing postal service...bet if a true business person ran a postal service, rather than the government, I bet we would have lower postage rates and higher quality service...
They tried that in Germany they privitized the post office and things are great now. It takes mail longer to be delivered the price of a stamp tripled.
bye-bye

Troy, MI

#33 May 11, 2008
George wrote:
<quoted text> so you're saying someone's willing to lose their job because they have a bill fetish? they're stealing bills? you are an idiot and probably an unemployed idiot. Need a job.....you're postal supervision material
There's enough idiots already working for the USPS that can become supervisor material...please don't encourage him.
gofigure

Fremont, MI

#34 May 12, 2008
Hmmm, and I thought it was just the Grant post office that was this terrible at getting mail through. The post office keeps upping the fees and their service stays as crappy as ever. Sure wish there was another postal service out there. I thought monopolies were illegal?
RAB

Ionia, MI

#35 May 12, 2008
I've always said that within the next 10 years the U.S. Postal service as we know it today will cease to exist. The ever increasing cost of the post office's services and stamps will price them right out of business. Within 10 years the cost of a basic stamp will hover around .75 - .80 and nobody is going to pay that. My belief is that you will see UPS become the everyday mail service eventually. The post office is a government run service and UPS isn't, nuff said.
George

United States

#36 May 12, 2008
RAB wrote:
I've always said that within the next 10 years the U.S. Postal service as we know it today will cease to exist. The ever increasing cost of the post office's services and stamps will price them right out of business. Within 10 years the cost of a basic stamp will hover around .75 -.80 and nobody is going to pay that. My belief is that you will see UPS become the everyday mail service eventually. The post office is a government run service and UPS isn't, nuff said.
Price the post office out of business? you tool whos cheaper? If ups becomes the everyday mail service as you predict it'll cost you upwards of $4-5.00 to mail a letter from michigan to california so go ahead i hope you Dumb Rednecks get what you deserve
bye-bye

Troy, MI

#37 May 12, 2008
RAB wrote:
I've always said that within the next 10 years the U.S. Postal service as we know it today will cease to exist. The ever increasing cost of the post office's services and stamps will price them right out of business. Within 10 years the cost of a basic stamp will hover around .75 -.80 and nobody is going to pay that. My belief is that you will see UPS become the everyday mail service eventually. The post office is a government run service and UPS isn't, nuff said.
People also said they'd never pay over $2.00 for a gallon of gas. Now that it's almost $4.00, I wonder what they're saying now.
ruth

Newport Beach, CA

#38 May 13, 2008
Yes, the post office does make mistakes, and so do some of us, but if my business was not getting paid for work done for a year I would be more agressive about finding the problem....and how about the hundreds of thousands of pieces of mail that is delivered, and delivered correctly every day.
Whitney

Grand Rapids, MI

#39 May 13, 2008
JIMMYK1978 wrote:
<quoted text>
The post office runs all letters through an optical scanner that reads the address written on the envelope. It then sorts it based on zip code. If the ink used for some reason is highly reflective the optical scanner is unable to read the address and kicks it out. Here is where it gets fun, some one has to pick it up and read the address and put it in the correct place. So if it is a reflective problem someone is not doing their job. The question really is where did they put all that mail??? I think it would be eaiser to put it in the proper place rather than drag it to another loacation.
Thanks!!!:)
postal employee

Flint, MI

#40 May 14, 2008
Ok seriously this is ridicoulous. First off....for the people who complain that the stamps are going up so much...it was 1 cent. Most of you throw your pennies away....put 42 cents in your gas tank and drive it ANYWHERE in the US. Secondly...the whole story is one sided. Believe me...I know. We had him come in one time to complain...actually it wasnt him...it was his dad I think. We never heard of any more problems so I assumed it was taken care of. As for him not getting his mail back...he has a po box in Newaygo and uses his physical address in Grant on his letters. So I'm not sure what address he isnt getting mail at. I think Newaygo post office received a bad rep here. We have one of the best customer service ratings in the area. We DO care about our customers and we DO try to make everything right when it is brought to our attention. Before the public gets a bad taste for the USPS...get both sides of the story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gospel concert Jul '14 Luci 1
yep Jun '14 what the really 1
Parents Voice Concerns Over School Bus Stop; Di... May '14 Lisa Briggs 1
Brittany Powell (Dec '13) Apr '14 Chrislester 2
sexting (Apr '14) Apr '14 big man 1
Merry Christmas! Readers share with us some of ... (Jan '13) Dec '13 Nat 2
lanet presler (Nov '11) Dec '13 anon 2
Grant Dating
Find my Match

Grant Jobs