Grant business, Post Office at odds over deliveries

Ken Page owns A-Waste Sanitation Company in Newaygo County. Once each quarter, he sends out about 3,000 invoices. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
PO-d

United States

#1 May 9, 2008
We always hear about the deliveries making it through even with snow, rain, sleet, and dark of night. However no guaranty about delivery if there is a glare coming off your dark blue ink. Amazing, but the cost of stamps are going up!
JIMMYK

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 May 9, 2008
If the post office can not get it right cut them out. He should have his employees deliver the bills by hand they stop at every house anyways. Pay the employees 42 cents for every bill they deliver. It would be a nice bonus for not much work. It just goes to show how slow government can be to react. This has been going on for a year, it probally would still be going on if it would not of hit the news. even if there was glare off the ink where did the bills go?? someone has to have them. Maybe the postal employees would understand if there was a glare on there pay checks for the next year.
CCC

Holland, MI

#3 May 9, 2008
Funny...when we lived up there, that same sort of thing happened to us and the post office blamed it on another post office...
Fred

AOL

#4 May 9, 2008
Typical of the Post Office. Poor service, increasing prices
Grant Michigan

Greenville, MI

#5 May 9, 2008
Makes you wonder how many other peices of mail we did not get.
Whitney

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 May 9, 2008
Weird, What does a glare have to do with them not getting mailed? Someone please fill me in on how that has any affect on the mail.
Mike

Saint Charles, IL

#7 May 9, 2008
Use UPS...it'll get there faster...
Mike

Saint Charles, IL

#8 May 9, 2008
They can't compete anymore!
JIMMYK1978

Grand Blanc, MI

#9 May 9, 2008
Whitney wrote:
Weird, What does a glare have to do with them not getting mailed? Someone please fill me in on how that has any affect on the mail.
The post office runs all letters through an optical scanner that reads the address written on the envelope. It then sorts it based on zip code. If the ink used for some reason is highly reflective the optical scanner is unable to read the address and kicks it out. Here is where it gets fun, some one has to pick it up and read the address and put it in the correct place. So if it is a reflective problem someone is not doing their job. The question really is where did they put all that mail??? I think it would be eaiser to put it in the proper place rather than drag it to another loacation.
Debb

Inkster, MI

#10 May 10, 2008
Those people are not the only ones that the Post Office has screwed over. Let me start out by tell you that I have lived at the same place for almost 2 yrs now and I am disabeled. My social security got "lost" for 6 days and on the envelope was written "must try to deliver". What in the world does that mean must try. All they had to do was put it in the mail box. Also my work check from the State of Michigan didnt arrive either. I got some BS from the Walker Post Office that sometimes the machines dont read the mail correctly. Werent all of those updated when the press moved? And do they care of my husband who is ill with stage 4 cancer gets his meds or not? Hell NO! I have filed several complaints to no avail. What is our government coming to when the US Post Offices make mistakes when its a life or death situation?
Don

Zeeland, MI

#11 May 10, 2008
We don't work for the Post Office, the Post Office works for us. The P.O has a lot of explaining to do on this one...so it could be glare or the color of the ink...then what happened to all those letters? Why were they not returned to the sender? If the P.O. doesn't like the color of your ink, they throw away the mail? Do we really need a Post Office "design analyst" to investigate this? Sounds to me like the Newaygo Post Office simply didn't care.
Mee

Rockford, MI

#12 May 10, 2008
I would question if those who didnt receive their bills were on the same carrier route. It really sounds to me like the carrier might not have wanted to do his/her job that day and threw the envelopes away. It happens all the time with the Post Office.
CCC

Holland, MI

#13 May 10, 2008
I wish one of these people who win the big lotteries or someone with buttloads of money would start up a competing postal service...bet if a true business person ran a postal service, rather than the government, I bet we would have lower postage rates and higher quality service...
Old Rocker

United States

#14 May 10, 2008
To Debb,
Change your SS and your state payroll checks to direct deposit. It will automatically show up in your account accurately every month and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

To Mee,
Sounds like the Newaygo postal service has an employee named "NEWMAN" working for them.
ada

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 May 10, 2008
Has anyone checked the dumpster behind the post office for the missing mail? It was a good idea on the hand delivering invoices. A roll of tape is alot cheaper then a roll of stamps.
willknotsign

Dewitt, MI

#16 May 10, 2008
Wait until we have goverment run health care! Maybe the post office will have oversite responsability!
Susanna

Amelia Court House, VA

#17 May 10, 2008
Maybe he should take all his bills to the Grand Rapids Main branch? Maybe there are more employees and more accountability.
Michelle

Encino, CA

#18 May 10, 2008
I actually had this happen to me in December. A-Waste is the first time I have had to have a garbage service so not getting a bill slipped my mind. However, when I called, a worker said we sent it out. I am sure they did but I did not get it. It does not surprise me that the bills are undelivered, it is hard to get the post office to do anything.
Dawn in Grant

Granbury, TX

#19 May 10, 2008
I've had similar problems recently with the Grant Post Office returning mail (bills). If I hadn't gone to the doctor's office, I would have never found out that mail was returning to them. I haven't changed my address in the 7 years I've lived here. I brought it up to the Post Office, and as far as I know, there hasn't been another problem. My question is, WHY all of a sudden is there a problem?
Scott

Cincinnati, OH

#20 May 10, 2008
the hand delivery is a good idea, but how about the internet? it is relatively inexpensive to setup a secured billing site. you can email invoices and accept credit/debit card payment online. you would have an initial setup cost and then possibly a minimal monthly fee, but it is a much more timely billing process. I'm sure most if not all of your customers would appreciate not having the monthly postage expense if they could pay online. with the online security compared to the number of hands and eyes that touch a mailed letter, it is much more likely to have someone steal your identity from usps than online.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) 4 hr Amy 96
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) 8 hr Go Blue Forever 128
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Sep 2 just the tip 303
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482
gospel concert Jul '14 Luci 1
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul '14 maeball 169
yep Jun '14 what the really 1
•••
•••
•••

Grant Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Grant People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grant News, Events & Info