Fire Destroys Barn, Kills Championshi...

Fire Destroys Barn, Kills Championship Horses

There are 43 comments on the WHNT News 19 story from Dec 28, 2009, titled Fire Destroys Barn, Kills Championship Horses. In it, WHNT News 19 reports that:

An early morning fire Monday takes away more than a barn. Seven award-winning horses died in the blaze.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT News 19.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dawn Ringer

United States

#1 Dec 28, 2009
My heart goes out to the Johnson family and to the horses they have lost. Life just doesn't seem fair sometimes. I hope they are able to forge ahead and raise Grand Champions again.
no name

United States

#2 Dec 28, 2009
This is a tragic thing. I myself am a horse lover and can not emagine loosing them to fire. My prayers go out to the owners and the families.
Anna

United States

#3 Dec 28, 2009
I lost my horse as well in this fire. We just can't believe that we lost all of them. Please keep us in your prayers.
not a fan

Huntsville, AL

#4 Dec 28, 2009
Once again New Hope Fire let another one burn down. Thats why insurance is so high!!
Bob

Dubuque, IA

#5 Dec 28, 2009
not a fan wrote:
Once again New Hope Fire let another one burn down. Thats why insurance is so high!!
Shut up you stupid redneck.
nhvfd 3126

Denton, TX

#6 Dec 28, 2009
You say we just let another one burn down. I was on the second truck in, and there's not much you can do when you arrive on scene and the roof has collapsed and the building is fully involved. We tried are best but, that still isn't good enough for some people. Come walk a mile in my shoes and see if your opinion is still the same. Thanks...
Matt Joy and Melinda

Madison, AL

#7 Dec 28, 2009
We'll miss Skip, Q, and Dixie. Skip was Melinda's first ride. They all have our prayers, including Mom, Dad and Megan. And all of the others we talked to and scratched.
What makes you sad today is what will make you smile about tomorrow.
Eugene

New Hope, AL

#8 Dec 28, 2009
It's always hard to cope with loss. pets,friends and family to some are the same. If this is the place I think of it was a cornerstone of the neighborhood. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Don't always blame the firemen, They can only do so much>
Nikki

Sherwood, TN

#9 Dec 28, 2009
There isn't much a fire department can do when they arrive to a barn fully involved.
Hey NOT A FAN....do you know how fast hay burns???? Or did you think about how long it had possibly been on fire before the homeowners even realized at 1:30 am from inside their house?? I'm sure you've never tried to put out a fire before.
I used to live down the street from this place, and my parents still do. When I heard this morning that there was a barn fire on Old Gurley Pike, I was very upset & worried about my dad's place. My heart goes out to everyone who lost a loved one today.
Anna, Mom told me about your horse, and I'm so sorry!
wendi hunt

United States

#10 Dec 28, 2009
I am so sorry for the loss of your horses. The barn can be replaced, but your horses can't. We own 5 horses and I can't imagine losing them to a fire???????? Must be terrible.
Very Sorry for your loss:(
Wendi Hunt
wendi Guntersville Ala

United States

#11 Dec 28, 2009
Anna wrote:
I lost my horse as well in this fire. We just can't believe that we lost all of them. Please keep us in your prayers.
I will keep you all in my prayers. So sorry for your loss:(
tax payer Pete

Huntsville, AL

#12 Dec 28, 2009
Maybe if you have hay that burns and a barn that burns and prize winning horses, you install sprinklers to protect your investment. Please dont say the cost is too high...the horses died..they paid the price. As far a the VFD, shouldnt they have fire prevention programs for folks with high fire risk area?(hay,barns,cotton bales). Instead of blowing tax dollars on fancy fire trucks that show up AFTER the fire, maybe some prevention and common sense will work
tax payer Pete

Huntsville, AL

#13 Dec 28, 2009
Tragedy CAN be prevented. unfortunatley death cannot
person

Gurley, AL

#14 Dec 28, 2009
My horse is boarded at the barn next to this barn that got burnt down. Everyone at our barn next door knew these people, and some even rode those champion horses at one time. Not long ago, maybe 1 week ago, me and my friend were riding in the field next to these 7 horses. They were all so big, beautiful, and muscular. They would run and play around us while we rode. They were so precious. We were talking in the arena, then my friend points across our pasture and says,"did you hear about the barn?" And she told me. I looked over, and it was still smoking a little. I wanted to cry right then and there. Sooo tragic. I'm praying for them and the horses.
Martin

Dubuque, IA

#15 Dec 29, 2009
I do not own a horse but like to watch and pet them on my daily walk at Montesanto Farms. It's a sad thing that this had to happen to innocent animals. Our condolences to the owners of the horses.
Anna

United States

#16 Dec 29, 2009
Thank you Nikki and Wendi. It's because of Mr. Tex and Mrs. Judy that I had Lana and got to compete, and now that I'm in college some girls were taking lessons on her bc she was such a sweet girl. Tax payer Pete....Well I have really nothing to say to you. We'll pay for our mistakes, but you don't have to be so heartless.
Nikki

Sherwood, TN

#17 Dec 29, 2009
Tax Payer Pete.......where do you think a VFD as small as New Hope is supposed to get the money for a fire prevention program? And as far as buying fancy equipment......have you SEEN their stuff? Not knocking New Hope VFD, but compared to a lot of VFD they don't have very nice equipment, or very much manpower. I think people forget that volunteer firefighters VOLUNTEER their time. They have jobs OTHER than sitting around the station getting paid to wait for a fire. Maybe they're not as well trained as they could/should be. That's just what happens when you live in an underfunded town.
I have a super idea!!! Maybe you should make a donation to them Pete.(You know, for the "fire prevention program" they should have)
Saddle Tramp

Madison, AL

#18 Dec 29, 2009
Some people don't understand us "Horse People" and the way some of them act, that's a good thing! To loose one horse is a tragedy, but seven is devastating..then to have to put up with some "Know Nothing" run his mouth about sprinkler systems and the VFD..you can tell, they didn't volunteer! and wouldn't know which end of the horse to put a bridle on...
Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost their Equine Buddies,
confused

Huntsville, AL

#19 Dec 29, 2009
I pay my county taxes! I donate when they knock on my door. Maybe its time to incorperate the county fire depts make them all one dept and then the tax money is spread evenly. Everyone gets good equipment and training you dont have high dollar depts with all the good stuff. Start having paid professional firefighters. This isnt Mayberry anymore!!!
Nikki wrote:
Tax Payer Pete.......where do you think a VFD as small as New Hope is supposed to get the money for a fire prevention program? And as far as buying fancy equipment......have you SEEN their stuff? Not knocking New Hope VFD, but compared to a lot of VFD they don't have very nice equipment, or very much manpower. I think people forget that volunteer firefighters VOLUNTEER their time. They have jobs OTHER than sitting around the station getting paid to wait for a fire. Maybe they're not as well trained as they could/should be. That's just what happens when you live in an underfunded town.
I have a super idea!!! Maybe you should make a donation to them Pete.(You know, for the "fire prevention program" they should have)
Darlean

United States

#20 Dec 29, 2009
So sorry about you lose we will pray for you God Bless you all

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kayla Butterscotch Green Aug 22 Bad 3
kevin and crazy (Nov '11) Aug 22 ben daniel 4
sailboat Aug 10 usn vet 1
News More work ahead in Ala for Scottsboro Boys pardons (May '13) Aug 4 bad 6
Court Referral Program (Nov '08) Aug 3 Seenbehindthecurt... 151
open invite to the county commisioner (Feb '16) Aug 1 bad 6
To the first responders that saved my life on m... Jul 29 Clifford marsh 1

Grant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance