Wal-Mart in Granite Falls?

Full story: Hickory Daily Record

GRANITE FALLS - Wal-Mart may be coming to Granite Falls. Lauth Property Group, based in Indiana, has the option to purchase a 125-acre site near the intersection of U.S. 321 and New Farm Road, owned by Ray and ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 149 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2011
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Graniteshopper

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

I say bring it on, we need it!!!!!!!
Lee

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

A wal-mart in Granite sure would be great
Hope it will be a super
Lenoir don't have a big slection like Hickory
The traffic you have to deal with in Hickory
Sure hope we get it
housewife

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

I hope we get it too...I actually hate walmart, I just like how much money I save. LOL Next we need a real restraunt where you can have a good meal and dh can order a beer. (other than mexican)
Seldom Scene

North Wilkesboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

If Wal-mart were to open a store in Granite Falls, it would stay packed all the time. It'd be a convenient place for people to shop, provide lots of jobs(granted, not really high paying ones... but jobs nonetheless), and might attract other businesses.

Housewife, I'm with you on the beer thing.
iris

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

I for one surely hope we get the wal-mart,jobs for people and it would help people like me that it's hard on to get to the Hickory store,I hate the Lenoir store they just don't have the stuff like Hickory,it would be be great for Granite and Caldwell Co.for income and tax
Lenoir-CaldwellT axpayer

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

I hope GF gets a Wal-Mart also,but the one in Lenoir will soon be upgraded to a Super Wal-Mart,they have bought the property and are waiting on the designs to be complete,they are suppose to start on it by mid summer,so that will bring a few hundred new jobs to each part of the county...thank God.
Seldom Scene

North Wilkesboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

A new grocery store and maybe a McDonald's on 321 would be nice too.
Lenoir-CaldwellT axpayer

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2006

It would be nice to see a Dennys or my favorite TGIF's.I would also like to see a lot new stores including a big and tall mens clothing store since Im 6'4 300,lol
housewife

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

I want a Duncan Donuts!(while we're wishing):) Starbucks too...why not!
Boomer

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

I heard a long time ago that Walmart was building a warehouse distribution center in Granite Falls. I have also heard about plans to supersize the one in Lenoir. If all this is true, I hope you get the other things on your wish lists!
Lenoir-CaldwellT axpayer

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

Wal mart wasnt the one that wanted to build a distribution center in GF, it was Target.We lost it to Catawba Co.because some of our great leaders didnt want to give them better incentives. This was about fall of last year.We have a great EDC they care so much about us they didnt want to give a little so 1500 jobs would have come out of the deal.
Exactly where

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

what location in Granite Falls are they talking about putting Wal-mart? Does anyone know?
questions2

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

There are many reasons to not want Wall Mart in town. Look at the above site and check out the rest of the Wall Mart story. You may just change your mind.
questions2

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

HEALTH CARE
Wal-Mart fails to provide health insurance to over half its employees. Who pays for it? We all do. Wal-Mart workers top Medicaid rolls in at least 16 states.
WOMEN
Wal-Mart is the subject of the largest class action lawsuit in history by current and former female employees who were paid and promoted at significantly lower rates than their male co-workers.
OUTSOURCING
If Wal-Mart were an independent nation, it would be China’s eighth-largest trading partner. Is Wal-Mart trading away America's future to fatten its corporate bottom line?
LOCAL ECONOMIES
For every new Supercenter that Wal-Mart opens, two local supermarkets will close. How will this affect your town? Big box stores like Wal-Mart spend nearly four times less within local and state economies as local businesses do.
WORKERS
The average pay for a Wal-Mart sales associate is $1,000 below the poverty line for a family of three. Business as usual? Not necessarily. Retail rival Costco pays its workers 65% more on average than Wal-Mart, yet earns more profits per employee.
DISCRIMINATION
Two recent lawsuits by minority employees and customers have brought to light a disturbing pattern of racial discrimination by Wal-Mart.
ENVIRONMENT
Wal-Mart has a long history of breaking environmental laws that its high-priced green-washing campaign can't hide. Its record of environmental abuse was described by one top law enforcement official as "widespread, systematic, repeated" and has incurred millions in fines from state and federal agencies.
UNCHECKED GROWTH
Think Wal-Marts are everywhere you turn today? Just wait five years. Wal-Mart plans to nearly double its retail outlets in the U.S. by 2010 and has already demonstrated its willingness to play hardball with anyone who stands in its way.
SHOP TALK

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

housewife wrote:
I want a Duncan Donuts!(while we're wishing):) Starbucks too...why not!
REDNECK SPELL CHECK: dunkin donuts, LOL
Lenoir-CaldwellT axpayer

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

Exactly where wrote:
what location in Granite Falls are they talking about putting Wal-mart? Does anyone know?
On hwy 321 right above MDI.Thats if they do bring it there,with Wal Mart going to a Super center in Lenoir they may not,but I have heard 2 major resturaunts and alot of new shopping business's.Sorry for the spelling in advance,running 2 companies runs me down,lol
Boomer

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

Wal mart wasnt the one that wanted to build a distribution center in GF, it was Target.We lost it to Catawba Co.because some of our great leaders didnt want to give them better incentives. This was about fall of last year.We have a great EDC they care so much about us they didnt want to give a little so 1500 jobs would have come out of the deal.

Lenoir-Caldwell Taxpayer: My info came from employees at the Lenoir Walmart when the rumors were rampant that a Walmart was being built in the GF area. I don't know about Target. What should the EDC have given Target? I am no fan of the EDC but am just curious on your take.
Lenoir-CaldwellT axpayer

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

Target was looking at that property in the fall of 2005.they had asked for better EDC incentives and they were told no,we can not help you.Target then went to Catawba Co.where they plan on building in the summer of 2006 with the incentives they asked Caldwell for.I guess my complaint is we lost JOBS because of the Caldwell EDC,with this being election year I hope the new candidates will FIRE the EDC and get people who will help us and care.Wal Mart of Lenoir do plan on announcing soon the new Super WalMart being started in fall of 2006,or that is what I have heard .
Lenoir-CaldwellT axpayer

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

Boomer wrote:

Lenoir-Caldwell Taxpayer: My info came from employees at the Lenoir Walmart when the rumors were rampant that a Walmart was being built in the GF area. I don't know about Target. What should the EDC have given Target? I am no fan of the EDC but am just curious on your take.
Boomer,our county EDC needs to be replaced,these folks have and will screw us if we continue to let them.Bill Stone a member of the EDC is the one who wrote the railroad deal with McCrady,who is screwing over 17 buisness's in the Lenoir area.Bill Stone is a wanna be,and if he reads this so be it,Im not a supporter of our local EDC and they shouild be Fired,we need people who care about the citizens of Caldwell Co.that are willing to help save and bring jobs to the people.
Boomer

Gaffney, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2006

Lenoir-Caldwell Taxpayer: I agree about the EDC and Bill Stone. Think he went on there for the wrong reasons anyway. Only one I would really trust on there is Jim Sponenberg. Honest, go getter and never goes on any board or committee for the wrong reasons. I definitely agree that we need new commissioners especially 1 that is up for re-election and 2 that are not up this time....especially one long-winded self=appointed know it all and knows nothing!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr Red Square 58,740
McDonald's coming to Springs Rd. (Jan '14) 2 hr Lavinia 7
Mayor of Sawmills Needs to Resign 9 hr Star 11
Casey Jenkins is ugly on the outside Tue The Ranger 9
Casey Jenkins has lost her mind! Hears voices ! Tue The Ranger 2
outlaws mc, hickory, nc (Aug '11) Tue Unclassy Freddy 64
Hairless Animal Siting on Lake Road (Jun '09) Mon Chupacabra Maybe 21
•••
•••
•••

Granite Falls Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000