Historic Granite Falls Shuford Mills ...
rude crude unattractive

Hickory, NC

#21 Dec 31, 2007
Ted wrote:
GFhorseman i'm not the one that's talking down about the town. Some people are talking about what a waste of money it was to rebuild the Baird House what is the deference between it and the mill. Do you really think people are going to come and look at the old mill. Yeah it's sad that it's going to be torn down. But i don't want my tax dollars going to fix it.
if you're living in granite falls, then what DOES the town do with your tax dollars? what improvements do they make? i mean other than the baird house and that stupid park on lakeside avenue? same shitty old roads and stoplights. oh wait, i forgot they built a new town council chamber. WHAT A BRILLIANT USE OF TAX DOLLARS! if i lived in granite falls, i would be pissed off at the leadership in that town. there's a bunch of morons in charge if you ask me.
Ted

Decatur, GA

#22 Jan 1, 2008
rude crude unattractive wrote:
<quoted text>
if you're living in granite falls, then what DOES the town do with your tax dollars? what improvements do they make? i mean other than the baird house and that stupid park on lakeside avenue? same shitty old roads and stoplights. oh wait, i forgot they built a new town council chamber. WHAT A BRILLIANT USE OF TAX DOLLARS! if i lived in granite falls, i would be pissed off at the leadership in that town. there's a bunch of morons in charge if you ask me.
Since you don't live in town why should you care. As for the lakeside park the town did not pay for that your state taxes did. They received a grant from the state to pay for the park.
Bill Westerbeck

Maryville, TN

#23 Sep 11, 2008
nsncy wrote:
1880 is a curious time to build a mill in the South. Does anyone know where the Shufords are from originally?
I can't figure out the town council. Maybe it's growing pains.
I purchased three surveyors field books at a local (Crossville TN.) auction. In reviewing these books ( dated 1907-1910) I find names and references to --A.A. Shuford Mill,Granite Falls Cotton Mill,Ivy Cotton Mill,E.L. Shuford,Brookford Mill, and a number of individual names.If these have any historical interest I would be glad to donate them. Please contact me @ [email protected]
GFTrueBlue

Newland, NC

#24 Sep 12, 2008
The town council, manager and mayor need to take into account that they work FOR the people of Granite Falls who love their history.

I don't appreciate MY history being distroyed because it's not something the mayor and town manager appreciate.

LOOK at small towns with a healthy downtown.. they ALL have their historic buildings preserved. Once the beautiful, historic buildings go.. the town does too.
Ancient

Black Mountain, NC

#25 Sep 13, 2008
The Baird House museum is the 2nd oldest known (still standing) residence in Caldwell County. It was saved. Old mills carry sentimental value for some, but unless they are useful to new industry they are simply a very large burden, eye sore and rat hotel.

Since: Aug 07

Granite Falls, NC

#26 Sep 13, 2008
Ancient wrote:
The Baird House museum is the 2nd oldest known (still standing) residence in Caldwell County. It was saved. Old mills carry sentimental value for some, but unless they are useful to new industry they are simply a very large burden, eye sore and rat hotel.
The original Shuford mill built in 1880 was not a large building by any means. It was only a two-story 50 ft. x 100 ft. frame building. Still sad it could not be saved.
Wanda

Forest City, NC

#27 Sep 15, 2008
Where is this building? Is it just rotting away, or are they actually preserving it? If it's rotting away then I vote to demolish it. I can say that no one is keen on preserving Granite Falls. Look at all the eye sores downtown.
Ken Shuford

South San Francisco, CA

#28 Oct 24, 2008
GFHorseman- Thanks for "Knowing all the DIRT" on my family.
Yes, I am a Shuford and of direct descent of Georg.
You have good info on their setteling into North Carolina. Further search would show that Georg and his wife originally landed in the "New World" in either 1733 or 1735. The correct date eludes me now. It was Abel who started the mill you are discussing here. At one time, as I understand it he owned several mills through out the East Coast.
I myself have never lived in North Carolina but my father was born and raised there. He was raised in the Yadkin Valley on a farm, between Lenior and Wilkesborough. Tom Dula (Dooley)is buried a short distance from the log cabin my father was born in. I have visited there and seen both the house as well as the grave and have some limited knowledge of the area. My Grandmother was Post Mistress at Blackstone for several years.
There is a huge amount of history around my family there and it would be good to see some of it preserved. It is common here in California where I live to restore old buildings like this and rent space in them. This makes them much like a Mini Mall for several small shops to survive in.
Of course I have seen the mention of Wal-Mart in other post here and if Wal-Mart wants the property they will get it. They are not above corting local politicians and helping to fund pet projects of same to get what they want. Know this though. No matter what Wal-Mart promises, once they are in they will run out every small locally owned business that carries any product close to what they sell. They will close business through out the vacinity without remorse and will offer all those jobs they promised with only minimum wage and little to no benifits. I see it happening all over California repeatdly. If you want to preserve the quaint small town feel and historic qualities of the area do not let Wal-Mart in.
[email protected]
anon

Bunnlevel, NC

#29 Oct 24, 2008
"Where is this building?"
This building is located at 115 Falls Ave. It is two houses down from the Baird house. From the outside this building does not look that bad but the inside is total danger! This mill was "given" to the town by Pope Shuford, I think, about a year ago.Pretty good tax write off I hear. The town took this mill without really looking at it(not smart). From what I hear, they were going to make a museum out of part of it for Burt Huffmans car collection. The towns insurance agent said the best thing to do with it would be to "burn it down". The town had various architects to look at it, the estimates were way up there.FWIW,Linda Story and the council did try to preserve this building.
"I don't appreciate MY history being distroyed because it's not something the mayor and town manager appreciate."
Neither do I but, come on, I have been in this building many times. There is a 20 ton bolder that has rolled down a hill and crashed halfway through one side of the mill, the roof is caving in, causing the floor to warp and rot in many places. Electrical shorts etc, etc. I value my towns history also. But I also value my tax dollars and it would be a waste,IMHO, to try to restore this building.
anon

Bunnlevel, NC

#30 Oct 24, 2008
"In asking townspeople about the members of the council, not much info is available on who they are. Do you have any info on the town council?"

Hello Nancy!.........Hope this helps

http://www.granitefallsnc.com/
MDW

Hickory, NC

#31 Oct 25, 2008
actually i go there to show the old mill to my children. i love it, just because of its history

Granite Falls, NC

#32 Oct 25, 2008
anon wrote:
"Where is this building?"
This building is located at 115 Falls Ave. It is two houses down from the Baird house. From the outside this building does not look that bad but the inside is total danger! This mill was "given" to the town by Pope Shuford, I think, about a year ago.Pretty good tax write off I hear. The town took this mill without really looking at it(not smart). From what I hear, they were going to make a museum out of part of it for Burt Huffmans car collection. The towns insurance agent said the best thing to do with it would be to "burn it down". The town had various architects to look at it, the estimates were way up there.FWIW,Linda Story and the council did try to preserve this building.
"I don't appreciate MY history being distroyed because it's not something the mayor and town manager appreciate."
Neither do I but, come on, I have been in this building many times. There is a 20 ton bolder that has rolled down a hill and crashed halfway through one side of the mill, the roof is caving in, causing the floor to warp and rot in many places. Electrical shorts etc, etc. I value my towns history also. But I also value my tax dollars and it would be a waste,IMHO, to try to restore this building.
The plant you are referring to as being two houses below the Baird house museum on Falls Avenue is actually the Shuford Mills Plant No. 2. I worked in this plant at one time and the plant has only been closed about 5 years so I was amazed at the amount of damage and the condition of the building you described, such as the large boulder which rolled into the side of the building. Overall, I worked at various Shuford plants about 30 years. The road running beside Plant No. 2 is called Church Street and it goes down behind the plant to the site of Plant No. 1 and the site of the original Shuford plant which was built in 1880. These two plants (the original small frame building, and Plant No. 1) were demolished by a wrecking and salvage crew brought in by Pope Shuford from my understanding. Both these plants were below the dam snd Shuford donated that land to the town of Granite Falls to be developed into a park. It was the original 50 x 100 foot frame building that I hated to see destroyed. I also hate to lesrn of the condition of Plant No. 2 which you described and that it will not now be refurbished as a museum for past-Mayor Bert Huffman's car collection. But if the building is not worth saving there is no need to throw good money into a bad project. A shame.
GF Born and Raised

Black Mountain, NC

#33 Oct 26, 2008
The town council, town manager, and mayor are all part of the "good ol' boys" club. Two of the council members are brothers. BROTHERS. One member was a teacher and principal in Granite forever, and was by no means anyone's favorite. One member ran just to get a crappy mexican restaurant in town.(You couldn't pay me to eat there....disgusting!) And one was, like myself, born and raised here in Granite, but he eventually moved to, I believe, Knoxville for several years, then moved back. He might turn out alright because he is the youngest council member, as long as he doesn't just bow down to the rest of the decrepit council members.
All I'm saying is I love Granite Falls. But it is being run into the ground because the people here keep voting in the same people every single election. Please, next time some new blood runs for a seat, vote for them!! We need to some new people on the council!!!

Granite Falls, NC

#34 Oct 27, 2008
GF Born and Raised wrote:
The town council, town manager, and mayor are all part of the "good ol' boys" club. Two of the council members are brothers. BROTHERS. One member was a teacher and principal in Granite forever, and was by no means anyone's favorite. One member ran just to get a crappy mexican restaurant in town.(You couldn't pay me to eat there....disgusting!) And one was, like myself, born and raised here in Granite, but he eventually moved to, I believe, Knoxville for several years, then moved back. He might turn out alright because he is the youngest council member, as long as he doesn't just bow down to the rest of the decrepit council members.
All I'm saying is I love Granite Falls. But it is being run into the ground because the people here keep voting in the same people every single election. Please, next time some new blood runs for a seat, vote for them!! We need to some new people on the council!!!
If you are referring to the two councilmen who have the dame last names as "brothers," then I beg to differ with you. The father of one of these had a furniture business downtown, the other's father was a dentist in downtown. Cousins, perhaps, but not brothers. And I know them both.

Granite Falls, NC

#35 Oct 27, 2008
*sorry, "same" not "dame."
Poteat

Asheville, NC

#36 Oct 28, 2008
To clarify for the Shuford gentleman from SF. WalMart has been open for about 8 months already. It was located on old farmland that the owner sold to a developer. No Shuford mills were, or are proposed to be, harmed in the building of a WalMart.
save it

Lillington, NC

#37 Jun 11, 2010
dont let them destroy this land mark
cubed

Banner Elk, NC

#38 Jun 12, 2010
save it wrote:
dont let them destroy this land mark
If by "them" you mean mother nature, then it's waaaay to late. As far as I know the building in the worst shape has already been removed a couple years ago.
parked

Rocky Mount, NC

#39 Jan 9, 2011
I feel that it would not be taking down a peice of history but replacing it with a new peice I bid on making it a wonderful handicap accesable park and dedicate it to Zarha. I think it would be a wonderful place for everyone to be able to enjoy all the natural beauty that lies all around this Historic site. I know that it would be a very popular place and could be easily mantained. Why leave it up as an eye sore and a danger. make something wonderful come out of this. I have lived across this old mill for 6yrs now and they store things here and there in it. Not really doing the community any good just sitting and rotting.
parked

Rocky Mount, NC

#40 Jan 9, 2011
and i am not sure why it came up New Bern should be Granite falls NC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why men don't have to pay child support anymore... 20 hr Hahahaha 3
Old Stores of Valley Hills Mall (May '13) 22 hr dooscoop32 23
American Hardware Beside Galaxy grocery (Sep '13) 22 hr What going on 12
Vote for Donald J Trump Sun Tyler 15
outlaws mc, hickory, nc (Aug '11) Sat Bluegrass Honky 118
AA Entertainment (Mar '12) Jan 20 mmcarswell69 62
duke power bill (Jan '11) Jan 19 NCSouthernBelle 34

Granite Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance