First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Idiot sensor

Granite City, IL

#1 Dec 25, 2012
School Obama's Daughters Attend Has 11 Armed Guards

by AWR Hawkins24 Dec 2012719post a comment

Some interesting news has broken in the wake of the latest push for gun control by President Obama and Senate Democrats: Obama sends his kids to a school where armed guards are used as a matter of fact.

The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak.

If you dismiss this by saying, "Of course they have armed guards -- they get Secret Service protection," then you've missed the larger point.

The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed).

Shame on President Obama for seeking more gun control and for trying to prevent the parents of other school children from doing what he has clearly done for his own. His children sit under the protection guns afford, while the children of regular Americans are sacrificed.
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#2 Dec 25, 2012
And just how large of a tax increase do you feel is justifiable to support this?

Are you willing to pay 30% more in taxes? 50% more?
JUST SAYN

Granite City, IL

#3 Dec 25, 2012
IF THE FEDS N OBAMA RUNS IT YES 30-50 % ARE MORE LOCAL 1-2% MAX . WE NEED IT FAR THE LITTLE ONE,S
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#4 Dec 25, 2012
So you are in favor of tax increases and an increase in the power of government?

what the heck does "are more local 1-2%" even mean?
Idiot sensor

Granite City, IL

#5 Dec 25, 2012
democrat wrote:
So you are in favor of tax increases and an increase in the power of government?
what the heck does "are more local 1-2%" even mean?
No I'm in favor of less spending,not more taxes.So you think we need armed guards at airports but not for our kids.
You must not have kids to think this is fair,protection for the elite,not for everyone
Wow

United States

#6 Dec 25, 2012
There are a lot of damn illiterates on this forum. Is Granite overrun with skanks, junkies and dumba$$e$?
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#7 Dec 25, 2012
Idiot sensor wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm in favor of less spending,not more taxes.So you think we need armed guards at airports but not for our kids.
You must not have kids to think this is fair,protection for the elite,not for everyone
So you want to hire 180,00 armed guards to protect our schools and you think you can do that by spending less money?

If you are for armed guards you are for more government spending and for an expansion of government powers. There is no other way to logically consider this.

It's just the current republican brain fart as they try to juggle contradictory ideas.
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#8 Dec 25, 2012
Current estimates are that if we provide for these guards with only taxes on new firearms it would be about $1200 per gun sold to pay for this plan. Or we could just charge it to everyone so that the gun industry profits are jeopardized.

Subsidize the costs, privatize the profits. Standard republican orders.
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#9 Dec 25, 2012
should read

are not jeopardized
No Idiot Here

Granite City, IL

#10 Dec 25, 2012
democrat wrote:
Current estimates are that if we provide for these guards with only taxes on new firearms it would be about $1200 per gun sold to pay for this plan. Or we could just charge it to everyone so that the gun industry profits are jeopardized.
Subsidize the costs, privatize the profits. Standard republican orders.
???$1200 ? Where do you get those figures, and how? Just asking, this discussion is not going to be a simple one. It seems to me there are a lot of bases to touch on this one:who should be armed and with what, will this be charged to education, or law enforcement, and so on. As for legislation, I think what is going to happen is that extra permits (or expansion of same) are going to be required of certain firearms, like the Bushmaster rifle used in Connecticut and New York state. I heard some talking head say on the average, having a law enforcement officer in every single school would take 1 out of 7 officers off the street. There is the issue of who pays for this, as I mentioned earlier. Who does the job? Do teachers teach, or are they have to do another job as well? There is also state's rights-I recall hearing a story involving a school in rural Texas that has an enrollment of 100+ students in a single building housing all grades, K-12. In this video article, the principle was packing a gun. His school is at least 20 miles from the nearest help. In Granite City, we have unarmed school monitors. I don't know what training they will receive as a direct result of what happened at Sandy Hook. Yep, there are a lot of legal issues to be considered. And don't forget there may be lawsuits associated with this-we live in Madison County!
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#11 Dec 25, 2012
There's also the issue that it doesn't work. There was an armed, uniformed Sheriff's Deputy at Columbine named Neil Gardner. There was an entire police force at VA tech, NIU and any other college shooting. There were armed MPs at Fort Hood.

If you want to blow hundreds of millions on something, can we try something that hasn't been shown to fail repeatedly please?
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#12 Dec 25, 2012
if you plan on having one armed person standing in between a madman and a school shooting then you haven't stopped a school shooting, you have merely chosen the first target of the shooter.
democrat

Collinsville, IL

#13 Dec 25, 2012
180000 schools in the US X 70000 a year for salary and benefits for an armed officer / 10.8 M guns a year equal about 1200 per gun.

Any other basic math I can do for you?
agreed

Saint Peters, MO

#14 Dec 25, 2012
Idiot sensor wrote:
School Obama's Daughters Attend Has 11 Armed Guards
by AWR Hawkins24 Dec 2012719post a comment
Some interesting news has broken in the wake of the latest push for gun control by President Obama and Senate Democrats: Obama sends his kids to a school where armed guards are used as a matter of fact.
The school, Sidwell Friends School in Washington, DC, has 11 security officers and is seeking to hire a new police officer as we speak.
If you dismiss this by saying, "Of course they have armed guards -- they get Secret Service protection," then you've missed the larger point.
The larger point is that this is standard operating procedure for the school, period. And this is the reason people like NBC's David Gregory send their kids to Sidwell, they know their kids will be protected from the carnage that befell kids at a school where armed guards weren't used (and weren't even allowed).
Shame on President Obama for seeking more gun control and for trying to prevent the parents of other school children from doing what he has clearly done for his own. His children sit under the protection guns afford, while the children of regular Americans are sacrificed.
agreed
No Idiot Here

Granite City, IL

#15 Dec 25, 2012
democrat wrote:
There's also the issue that it doesn't work. There was an armed, uniformed Sheriff's Deputy at Columbine named Neil Gardner. There was an entire police force at VA tech, NIU and any other college shooting. There were armed MPs at Fort Hood.
If you want to blow hundreds of millions on something, can we try something that hasn't been shown to fail repeatedly please?
I didn't say I wanted to blow some millions on something, I was just asking. BTW, it just occurred to me there are private (religious) schools at K-12 and college level as well. Who guards those? Once again, just asking. I can see you're in a good mood tonight. Someone pee in your egg nog? C'mon, man, lighten up.
grandma

Granite City, IL

#16 Dec 25, 2012
Okay. A nut went to a school. Try this; if a nut goes into..pick a place..where people aren't armed in any way..and this new nut has a louieville slugger and kills with it. Are we going to give up baseball???
Why can't a few teachers be armed? After training of course! I've target shot with cops before and the course isn't easy, but it is passable with thought before action.
And how about Doctors making concerned people aware of how close to the edge a person is before turning them loose on the rest of the world?!
democrat

Troy, IL

#17 Dec 26, 2012
grandma wrote:
Okay. A nut went to a school. Try this; if a nut goes into..pick a place..where people aren't armed in any way..and this new nut has a louieville slugger and kills with it. Are we going to give up baseball???
Why can't a few teachers be armed? After training of course! I've target shot with cops before and the course isn't easy, but it is passable with thought before action.
And how about Doctors making concerned people aware of how close to the edge a person is before turning them loose on the rest of the world?!
Did you not catch the part where I said it has failed many times in the past? Columbine had an armed, uniformed school resource officer present the day of the shootings. If a trained law enforcement officer can't help, why would you think a teacher would?

Both NIU and VA Tech had armed police forces.

Fort Hood had an armed police force.

In Tucson, when Gabbie Giffords was shot, there was an armed CCW holder there and it did nothing. Joe Zamudio.

Guns can't stop mass shootings. This has been proven repeatedly.
mahz

Troy, IL

#18 Dec 26, 2012
No Idiot Here wrote:
<quoted text> I didn't say I wanted to blow some millions on something, I was just asking. BTW, it just occurred to me there are private (religious) schools at K-12 and college level as well. Who guards those? Once again, just asking. I can see you're in a good mood tonight. Someone pee in your egg nog? C'mon, man, lighten up.
Ideally no one. Putting armed guards in schools is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You might as well issue each child an anti-lightning suit and force them to wear it so they are protected from strikes. You know, just in case. Who cares what it costs or the fact that a lighting strike at school almost never happens? It's for the kids!

Or maybe just encase every kid in bulletproof armor. It would probably be cheaper to make our kids indestructible than it would be to try and stop a crazed gunman who just pops off at random one day.
please

United States

#19 Dec 26, 2012
I hear you people preaching how guns in schools will not help, and I understand that side. But please tell me your solution to the problem we are having in this country!! How do we stop these physcos from killing our children!?
the cold one

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Dec 26, 2012
i think guns in school is ok as long as the kid is over 10 years old !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Holly Ollis 3 min #verytrue 13
Name some thots in gc 44 min BOBBY BOOSHAY 8
*Keep a word - - Drop a word* (Aug '10) 58 min -w0rd w0man- 2,177
Edwardsville cop busted for multiple burglaries 1 hr The Facts 1
david barcum 2 hr guy 4
R. I. P. Mary Hosier 4 hr fuckfakepeople 7
Tasha Andrews/Shea 5 hr idiots 56
Granite City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Granite City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Granite City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Granite City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:58 pm PST

NBC Sports12:58PM
William Hayes, Alec Ogletree draw fines after fight with Giants
NBC Sports 5:11 PM
Russell Okung cleared to play from bruised lung, Max Unger a game-time decision
NBC Sports 8:41 PM
Report: Chargers worked out Austin Pettis
NBC Sports 7:32 AM
Full-blown Bears house-cleaning could be coming
Bleacher Report 6:10 PM
Could Cutler, Shanahan Reunion Work for Jets?