Local steel workers union to protest South Korean imports

May 12, 2014 Full story: Belleville News Democrat 34

The union representing steel workers in the metro-east is trying to halt steel imported from South Korea because it jeopardizes their jobs.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Beach Boy

Granite City, IL

#2 May 12, 2014
Yes, wal mart is a great thing, let's get it so the only jobs we have is minimum wage at wal mart and fast food. Let's eliminate the middle class in its entirety!
Richard

Romania

#4 May 13, 2014
Look how the old "WalMart" argument is once again brought up by the ones that couldn't even get a job at WalMart if they tried. Of course they have their little job provided by the taxpayers being the mill pays none.
That's why this country is in the mess that it is in. People being paid more than they are worth due to some useless union and if people didn't like Walmart they wouldn't shop there.
truth

Granite City, IL

#5 May 13, 2014
I work at the mill. I make over $100,000 a year and I dont work near as hard as when I made $10 an hour growing up. Sometimes there are several days go by that we dont even have to leave the trailer except to go home. Its just the way it is today. Dont hate the players, hate the game.
Richard

Romania

#6 May 13, 2014
In this case the players are generally low IQ individuals that do what the union bids them to do because they can't think on their own.
One might consider the USWs actions against the Tiremakers. That sure put a lot of workers out of a job. How many union officials lost their jobs though?
more truth

Granite City, IL

#7 May 13, 2014
I think the unions have long outlived their usefulness. It used to be about guaranteeing a good, safe work environment, now its about lining the business agents pocket. New style mafia.
Richard

Romania

#9 May 13, 2014
Union members are too mentally challenged to realize that their leaders are lining their pockets with payroll deduction dues. But then again, no one ever claimed an unskilled factory worker was the brightest bulb in the box
real deal

Granite City, IL

#11 May 14, 2014
You're just another whiny republican toolbox.

You make less than half what a mill worker does and you're jealous.

What you need to realize is that you are not better than these people, narcissus. That's all in your head.
What happen 2 my town

Granite City, IL

#12 May 15, 2014
Steel Mill workers = Fat, Lazy, Stupid.....
Keep In Mind

Granite City, IL

#13 May 15, 2014
Keep in mind the growth of the wealthiest among us over the past several decades compared to the lowest wage workers. You people seem to think the corporations need more money and the workers deserve less. Vote your own consciences but don't complain if some day you can no longer afford your mortgage. By that time the MItt Romney's of the world will be should be worth Billions and Trillions.

Also don't complain if the steel mill were to shut down and the city lacked the tax revenue for proper police, fire, schools, etc.. I am not a steel worker but know they are invaluable to this city and in fact to this country. Don't reject them because they earn more than you. They often spend their money fighting for the rights of all of us.

Ignorance is bliss
truth

Saint Louis, MO

#14 May 15, 2014
No Dick, the problem here is illegal dumping. The South Koreans are selling the steel at prices below the cost of production in order to decimate the American steel industry.

They are selling it far below the price in their own country.
Reality

Granite City, IL

#16 May 15, 2014
truth wrote:
No Dick, the problem here is illegal dumping. The South Koreans are selling the steel at prices below the cost of production in order to decimate the American steel industry.
"below the cost of production"? Would that include the 100,000 dollars you are being paid to sit around and do nothing?
truth

Granite City, IL

#17 May 16, 2014
Richard wrote:
Unfortunately people like an earlier poster forgets to post that the mill doesn't pay real estate taxes anymore
All the mill does is pay wages to the ones that pay union dues
A never ending cycle to funnel money to the usual bunch that could care less about them
Amazing how dumb certain people are
I already proved this to be false in the other thread, Dick.

A never ending cycle of lies and bullshit coming out of your bitter, jealous little mouth. You're such a little whiny bitch.
truth

Granite City, IL

#18 May 16, 2014
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
"below the cost of production"? Would that include the 100,000 dollars you are being paid to sit around and do nothing?
Are you retarded? First off, I don't work at the mill. Second, the wages paid to an American worker in no way effect the cost of production in the plants of South Korea.

The cost of production is what it costs them to make the steel, moron. Since they don;t ay American workers in that process, American wages has nothing to do with it. Dumping is when they sell that steel at below cost in order to break the back of a market in another country. Dumping steel is an illegal act, by international treaty.

What you are saying is that you support the enemies of the United States in their vicious economic warfare against your country because your political ideology says you must hate the Unions. You are a republican first and an American second. You support the enemies of the US as long as they are attacking democrats. You sick fecks.
Hey Holly girl

United States

#19 May 16, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you retarded? First off, I don't work at the mill. Second, the wages paid to an American worker in no way effect the cost of production in the plants of South Korea.
The cost of production is what it costs them to make the steel, moron. Since they don;t ay American workers in that process, American wages has nothing to do with it. Dumping is when they sell that steel at below cost in order to break the back of a market in another country. Dumping steel is an illegal act, by international treaty.
What you are saying is that you support the enemies of the United States in their vicious economic warfare against your country because your political ideology says you must hate the Unions. You are a republican first and an American second. You support the enemies of the US as long as they are attacking democrats. You sick fecks.
Hey Holly girl you're the retard,you just can't stop writing books today,stop by Godin dr.after I put your skull through your windshield,I will nut all over your face and in your mouth Holly girl HAHAHAHAHAHA
Uzo

Granite City, IL

#20 May 16, 2014
truth wrote:
So...why isn't this a marketing strategy in the United States, if it's doing so much damage to the American steel industry? How are they able to pull it it off and not America?
Oh yeah. Unions and their wages.
Richard

Belize

#21 May 16, 2014
American steel = overpriced and inferior quality
The reason = overpaid union bozos
truth

Saint Louis, MO

#22 May 16, 2014
Uzo wrote:
<quoted text>
So...why isn't this a marketing strategy in the United States, if it's doing so much damage to the American steel industry? How are they able to pull it it off and not America?
Oh yeah. Unions and their wages.
You're fecking retard.

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/trade-...

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,...

http://www.nber.org/chapters/c5831.pdf

Educate yourself fool and stop rooting against your own country. You traitor.
Sixteen Wheeler

United States

#23 May 16, 2014
Go Steel Workers!!! None of you idiots know anything. They work hard for their money and get screwed over by other countrys. Get your facts straight. Got to work at your fast food job. If you don't like it, stop by Godin dr leave with your face smashed in boy,you're nothing but a coward boy
truth

Saint Louis, MO

#24 May 16, 2014
Hey Holly girl wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Holly girl you're the retard,you just can't stop writing books today,stop by Godin dr.after I put your skull through your windshield,I will nut all over your face and in your mouth Holly girl HAHAHAHAHAHA
Give it rest Holly. We all know it's you. We've busted you out plenty of times for this same schtick.

You'll never get to me. You'll never beat me. I danced all over your face and there's not a damn thing you can do about it except sit there and stew. Live with it.
truth

United States

#25 May 16, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it rest Holly. We all know it's you. We've busted you out plenty of times for this same schtick.
You'll never get to me. You'll never beat me. I danced all over your face and there's not a damn thing you can do about it except sit there and stew. Live with it.
Holly you simple minded fat pig,talking to yourself again.when are going to start that new troll job,what was your last troll job,it must not have worked too good,because not only am I dancing all over your face,you're also eating my stomach pancakes for breakfast while I shoot my batter all over your face and in your mouth just like your daddy used to do you,and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it old girl HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illinois man gets 20 years in Granite City home... 3 min tasha andrews bitch 8
*Keep a word - - Drop a word* (Aug '10) 2 hr Analog man 2,097
beautiful beards of granite 2 hr Pimple 2
Class Action Lawsuit for east Granite 3 hr georgemcfly 27
joey pertee 8 hr Callin u Out 4
Steven Walker 8 hr Callin u Out 13
Dawn brown 8 hr Callin u Out 3
Tasha Andrews/Shea 11 hr justsaying 41
Granite City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Granite City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Granite City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Granite City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:20 am PST

NBC Sports 7:20AM
Will Jimmy Clausen fare better than Jay Cutler as Bears' QB?
NBC Sports 7:35 AM
What do the Bears do with Jay Cutler moving forward?
ESPN 7:40 AM
Sources: Bears 'confused' at coach's discipline
NBC Sports 7:45 AM
Jarrett Payton: Stop talking about Jay Cutler's potential
CBS Sports 8:15 AM
Charles Tillman: Bears teammates still have faith in Jay Cutler