people living in foreclosed houses
lmfao

United States

#22 Sep 23, 2012
in the know wrote:
I am an inspector for the largest foreclosed home property manager in southern IL. We have to inspect, with time and date stamped photos, every property, every week. If someone lives in one of our homes, not only is it a felony trespassing charge, as stated on the sign in the window, the longest they will stay is up to 7 days before we walk in on them.. I dont encounter this very often with our properties.
I know of one happening right now in Mitchell on Moreland dr. Her house is in foreclosure, she moved out a couple months ago and recently moved back into the home without the knowledge of the mortgage company. She has no electricity and is running a extension cord from her neighbors house to hers for light.
lmfao

United States

#23 Sep 23, 2012
in the know wrote:
some of our foreclosures are actually rented out by the lenders in possession of the property and they can be a real PITA. If you see someone fraudulently living in a home, I would encourage you to report it.
to who?
winter

Chicago, IL

#24 Oct 2, 2012
I have one next door to me, and yes, I've checked my facts. Since they moved in; my 36" crane bird set disappeared, my little girl's ball (that was left between the bushes, at the front entrance) went missing, at 11:00 p.m. we caught him stealing water from outside, and the leech opened my mail. He has been stealing the water for awhile, because the landscape bedding was on our lawn before we caught him (from dragging the hose back and forth and walking). I'm talking about a 50 years old boy. He lives there with his 25 years old girlfriend, a toddler and baby, some woman, and others that come and go. They are living there for free because he was bragging to my husband about it. We never called the authorities about the problem due to the fear of a backlash. We didn't want them to do anything to our property. We've been here for 11.5 years and never had a problem, until they came along. I regret not calling the cops. They don't work and are still living there for free. We have to pay mortgages, HOA fees, and taxes. I can't stand the sight of them any longer. It doesn't make sense that they can live there for free. I've contacted the bank that owns the home, but they won't even reply back. We live in a good neighborhood and they don't deserve to be there. They don't know their boundaries. KARMA...
Idiot Seeker

Saint Louis, MO

#25 Oct 3, 2012
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
except for the idiots that take out multiple home equity loans, using their mortgage money like a piggy bank to pay for things that are beyond their means.
OR OR older people refinancing a house to pay for medical bills or other really stupid neccessities. Must be nice to be f**ing perfect. Hope your granny's premium dont go up, she cant come to you for help with her meds. Heartless SOB
Anjilyn

Santa Clara, CA

#26 Feb 11, 2013
Did it ever occur to any of you that these so called "parasites" may just be poor homeless people. emancipated minors or orphans looking for a safe place? No of course not, because someone who is poor is naturally a parasite. You all sound like people who are very comfortable financially, and it's always the one's with money who think the whole world lives like they do and if they don't then something is wrong with them.

According to Wikipedia, I have seen these people and even lived amongst them for 2 ½ years and they are not parasites, they are hungry people who have been dealt shitty hands, yes there are some lazy ones out there but that can be said of every demographic, yes there are some criminal ones out there, but that also can be said of every demographic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_... Wikipedia - Homelessness in the United States

Homeless American
Homelessness in the United States is an area of concern for social service providers, government officials, policy professionals, and humanity. The number of homeless people grew in the 1980s, as housing and social service cuts increased and the economy deteriorated. The United States government determined that somewhere between 200,000 and 500,000 Americans were then homeless. There are some U.S. federal programs that could be said to help to end and prevent homelessness, although there are no homeless-related programs in the Office of Management and Budget.
Over the past decades or so, the availability and quality of data on homelessness has improved considerably, due in part to initiatives by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the US Department of Health and Human Services, the US Department of Veterans Affairs, and several nongovernmental organizations working with homeless populations. Since 2007, the US Department of Housing and Urban Development has issued an Annual Homeless Assessment Report, which reports to Congress the number of individuals and families who are homeless in the previous year, both sheltered and unsheltered, in order to standardize data and collection processes for government officials and service providers.
According to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, there were 643,067 sheltered and unsheltered homeless persons nationwide as of January 2009. Additionally, about 1.56 million people used an emergency shelter or a transitional housing program during the 12-month period between October 1, 2008 and September 30, 2009. This number suggests that roughly 1 in every 200 persons in the US used the shelter system at some point in that period.
According to the United States Conference of Mayors, in 2008 the three most commonly cited causes of homelessness for persons in families were lack of affordable housing, cited by 72 percent of cities, poverty (52 percent), and unemployment (44 percent), and top ideas to stop homelessness were more housing for persons with disabilities (72%), more or better paying employment opportunities (68%), and more mainstream assisted housing (64%).

Do you have any idea what the governmnet has done to the people of this country? The way they assisted banks and other corporations in defrauding the public? When the government baild out the banks they ended up helping them take homes away from millions of Americans. The government is telling the wealthy out there,“oh it's fine, we're not longer in a recession..” well it's not true, they have just stopped reporting on the individuals they destroyed. The en-employment is not down, they are just skipping entire demographics of reported unemployed people so it looks like it's down, homelessness is not down, they have again simply adjusted how they count homeless people. We are not in a recession anymore that much is true, it's been a depression for quite some time now. Try to see things outside of your stain glass world.
Anjilyn

Santa Clara, CA

#27 Feb 11, 2013
Quit accepting something as fact just because someone tells you it is, learn to get your own facts.
iBinPharteen

Granite City, IL

#28 Feb 11, 2013
I hear there is two empty houses on center street. Move in quickly!!
Lisa

Dallas, TX

#29 Apr 28, 2013
Not Surprised wrote:
<quoted text> Raising awareness! Before you start pointing fingers..... Found out exactly why people are living in these homes. Like I said maybe some people work out something with the mortage company. As far as me being one of "these" people no I have had my own home for 15 years. I just think that people should mind their own business and stop trying to stir up crap. If people are doing the things then they will get caught.
Who do you report it to ?
Lisa

Dallas, TX

#30 Apr 28, 2013
Who do you report it to??
Lisa

Dallas, TX

#31 Apr 28, 2013
can someone live in a foreclosed home for years.. I just fine this situation very unfair where some people are working so hard to make pennies to stay in a home or for a rent and some others are staying in home without making any payments. does anyone have any information on this subjust living in maryland?
rise above ignorance

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#33 Jul 9, 2013
james wrote:
<quoted text>I am raising the awareness of a problem that is getting worse. If people are living in a house that they shouldn't be and it were on my block I would have it looked into, you never know who the people could be, killers, terrorist, sex offenders, meth heads, or just people living in someone else's house that doesn't live there anymore for free, taking over all their possessions who knows they could be selling the persons stuff using the stuff and it's not theirs, living off someone else's loss, WOW that is an all time low, by the sound of it and the way you reacted I bet your one of these people. I hope you get caught and punished for your crime, god sends thieves to HELL probably right where you belong.
Id like to know if it's your job to crack down on this. If so, id like to apologize in advance for what I'm about to say. Clearly you are a conservative, right winged asshole who live in a bubble surrounded by the rest of your conservative friends. you think the
world is black and white. You only see the haves and the have nots. If you have you are trustworthy and if you don't have your automatically someone everyone should fear. The fact is you
don't know everyone's situation. If you don't
have all the facts, STAY OUT OF IT.
Jussayin

Spanaway, WA

#35 Jul 24, 2013
james wrote:
<quoted text>but there a chance it's not.
If a bank doesnt follow through on a foreclosure or stops it, then the house ia still in owners name & they're reaponsible if anything happens to it. Such as noxious mold if pipes burst & fires & taxes to the city. And they wouls have to pay these fines etc... Or injuries... So owners are forced to stay or rather smart & doing the right thing keeping the neighborhood safe & they are still legally responsible. If owners leave then who knows what rif raf moves in.... Or gas leaks & no one there to know & kaboom! There goes the neighborhood. These people are protecting themselves & you. And maybe they are putting good faith payments in an escrow account until the BANK makes a move. Until then it's their name.
dee

Orlando, FL

#36 Nov 4, 2013
BANKS are the crooks. the average working American has been drained financially. Whhat are people to do.You cant get a loan if your credit isn't perfect. you cant rent an apartment unless you make three times the rent.w which most people don't anymore. When thebanks went under they got the loans they needed to get up and going again. What does the average needy family go.People squat because they are desperate. not because they want something for nothing.Very few families with children squat. its usually a last resort before the street.
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#37 Nov 4, 2013
Whats funny is you people put landlords through the mill with permits, inspections and assorted other hassles while these houses allow people to move right in
But thats Granite for ya
Pdm

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#38 Feb 20, 2014
I recently met a woman who had moved in down the street into a Foreclosed home. This is a family neighborhood, quiet for the most.
My husband & I looked at the home for a possible purchase, it was empty.
The home sat for almost 2 years. The lady I met has been there, maintained the property, has even made updates/repairs-painting, cleaning, insulation, so on.
She recently confided in me & has told me she would be considered a "SQUATER" her situation is she has bad credit, a young family (with a adorable young boy), & were homeless! She expects the worse but she has been putting money aside every month as rent in case the worse does happen!
I keep her in my prayers & hope for the best result if she can claim this home, I hope she does!
It may be wrong to do this but this property was NOT being used, the bank was basically letting it sit there & fall apart! She has cleaned it up, repaired it, updated it & made it a beautiful FAMILY home!!
For the record this was NOT a $100,000.00 + home! The bank is trying to recover its lost which I believe is in the $40's
Pdm

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#39 Feb 20, 2014
who="Anjilyn"]Did it ever occur to any of you that these so called "parasites" may just be poor homeless people. emancipated minors or orphans looking for a safe place? No of course not, because someone who is poor is naturally a parasite. You all sound like people who are very comfortable financially, and it's always the one's with money who think the whole world lives like they do and if they don't then something is wrong with them.
According to Wikipedia, I have seen these people and even lived amongst them for 2 ½ years and they are not parasites, they are hungry people who have been dealt shitty hands, yes there are some lazy ones out there but that can be said of every demographic, yes there are some criminal ones out there, but that also can be said of every demographic.
Do you have any idea what the governmnet has done to the people of this country? The way they assisted banks and other corporations in defrauding the public? When the government baild out the banks they ended up helping them take homes away from millions of Americans.
*I so agree with you! Just because you are POOR - DOES NOT, SHOULD NOT CLASSIFY YOU AS A PARASITE!
OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE-HAVE A HEART! instead of bitching & moaning about the underdog why not try to help! Im sure these so called PARASITES would gladly offer a helping hand!!
taxes

Detroit, MI

#40 Feb 20, 2014
Generally people go in able to afford their house payment. It's the ridiculous property taxes that cause people to fall short on funds. Far too high in this county!
freedom

Dansville, NY

#41 Mar 8, 2014
james wrote:
I know there are a lot of foreclosed house out there and people are robbing them, living in them for free, something needs to be done. Any one know of this behavior your statement are needed.
Your a fgoddamn fjerkoff
Bobby

Orlando, FL

#43 Jul 10, 2014
I live in a foreclosed apartment, code enforcement sent a letter saying inspection, do I have to let them in?
Voice of Reason

Toronto, Canada

#45 Aug 22, 2014
james wrote:
<quoted text>I am raising the awareness of a problem that is getting worse. If people are living in a house that they shouldn't be and it were on my block I would have it looked into, you never know who the people could be, killers, terrorist, sex offenders, meth heads, or just people living in someone else's house that doesn't live there anymore for free, taking over all their possessions who knows they could be selling the persons stuff using the stuff and it's not theirs, living off someone else's loss, WOW that is an all time low, by the sound of it and the way you reacted I bet your one of these people. I hope you get caught and punished for your crime, god sends thieves to HELL probably right where you belong.
Could be a good person who is down on their luck & in need of shelter that has no criminal intent. Judge not lest ye be judged James. By your own stick shall you be measured. God & Satan are "physical" representations of an ideal. Heaven is merely being surrounded by joy & Hell is life on Earth without it. There is no after. Don't lean on the crutch of religion to validate your opinion. All it does is showcase your intolerance & ignorance for the world to see. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a squatter. This "problem" is a symptom of a larger issue. If you bothered to think about it, you would see the collapse displaced many families & left them out in the cold. Some squatters are the former residents refusing to give up their home while others are trying to find a warm, dry place to rest their head in lieu of a gutter or under a bridge. Granted there are some unsavoury folk who squat but this doesn't mean all who squat are fiends or selling everything that isn't nailed down. I hope your home gets foreclosed on so you can experience first hand what these people go through. Maybe then you would show some compassion like a "good christian" instead of living in fear of your fellow man.

One more thing James. I'm not, nor have I ever been a squatter. Figured I'd mention it since you seem to be blinded all the way up there on your high horse. Good luck living your life that way, you'll need it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nameoki is a jokie 37 min VoteHorsey 52
Ice cream 4 hr Anna 11
Kayla Bogue 5 hr Drmoney 2
Word of Life child abuse, Olivia Valentine (Aug '16) 9 hr Jacqueline 20
casey foster 9 hr family 13
Greg sturgeon 10 hr Family ties 19
Cherisse rose 18 hr Politically Incor... 9

Granite City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance