Proposed steel union contract contains pay increases, no change in workers' health benefits

There are 20 comments on the Sep 4, 2012, Customer Interaction Solutions story titled Proposed steel union contract contains pay increases, no change in workers' health benefits. In it, Customer Interaction Solutions reports that:

The tentative agreement between U.S. Steel and about 16,000 members of the United Steelworkers union calls for 4.5 percent in pay increases over the life of the three-year proposal and no change in health care benefits for workers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Customer Interaction Solutions.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
iBinPharteeen

Granite City, IL

#1 Sep 4, 2012
Not bad, i agree with the union rep. In this economy it could have been worse!
Brian

Troy, IL

#2 Sep 4, 2012
A contract like this is sure to run more jobs overseas. wage concessions should be on the table...not more grandiose wage increases for the unionized unskilled steelworkers.
Oh well, the Chinese and Korean steel companies need the extra business

Since: Sep 12

United States

#3 Sep 4, 2012
So I see brian you dont work at the mill. Well I do and sorry you don't agree with our contract but really who cares What you think.
Brian

Troy, IL

#4 Sep 5, 2012
Well I did work at the mill before. I found it to be staffed with an assortment of very low mentality individuals who could not think on their own and instead let some union bozo do their thinking for them.
That being said, your insane wage demands have closed down well over half of the former USAs manufacturing capabilities and job opportunities. Of course you don't mind because all you can think of is your own little situation. I prefer instead to think of the country as a whole and find it disgusting that you union bozos have ruined it for your children and grandchildren as well as many others.
The US Steel industry is nothing like it used to be before the unions ruined it. Now go to one of your union meetings, blame something on Bush and get drunk. Your children will be happy with their WalMart jobs thanks to your greed and thats wht I know...not what I think
Fubrian

Granite City, IL

#5 Sep 5, 2012
^^ = right wing moron. Anti union scabs are what ruined all American industry.

United States

#6 Sep 5, 2012
Everybody has there opinon but there had to be a reason our great granfathers started unions And u have a right to ur opinon on this country but I disagree I think without unions we would be doing this job an getting paid right above minium wage. There Are plenty of non-union jobs out there like walmart that of they were union maybe the people would be treated better. We Just see It different ways Sounds like a union really pissed u off sometime in ur life.
Brian

Troy, IL

#8 Sep 5, 2012
Your ancestors went off and fought in a world war. Then they cam back to build this country into what it became. They worked hard and did not rely upon union greed to obtain houses with multiple bathrooms, multiple automobiles in the driveways and did not sue their employer every chance they got.
Today's generation has inherited what their parents worked so hard for, but to them that is not enough. They demanded to where they have literally priced themselves out of the market sending jobs and prosperity overseas.
At one time a person could get a good job any day of the week in Granite City. Today one is very lucky to get what would be called a decent job because most of the once good job providers have left over the incessant wage demands or lawsuits at the madison county courthouse. Of course that is the Democrat Party plan. Run every employer out of the area via unions or work comp lawsuits, then put everyone one welfare. Just think, someday Granite will become one big KP...then you will all be happy and finally that union didnt provide your job. The company provided the job
Brian

Troy, IL

#9 Sep 5, 2012
Fubrian wrote:
^^= right wing moron. Anti union scabs are what ruined all American industry.
Laugh. WHat anti union workers are you referring to?(this is going to be a good one)
SarahQ

Granite City, IL

#10 Sep 5, 2012
Brian you said that you worked at the mill before Why don't you work there now? Because you was a deadbeat drunk and doper
get your head out of your ass and grow up
steel workers

Collinsville, IL

#11 Sep 5, 2012
Nothing wrong with the contact could have been way worse there still free health care and a slight raise I as a current employee am fine with our contact and as of u if you no longer work there shouldn't worry about it right.

United States

#12 Sep 5, 2012
I agree steelworkers Im fine with our contract
Brian

Eureka, MO

#13 Sep 6, 2012
SarahQ wrote:
Brian you said that you worked at the mill before Why don't you work there now? Because you was a deadbeat drunk and doper
get your head out of your ass and grow up
Ah, a usuaal straw man set up so commonly used by the moronic class.
Now I will tell you that there was a person in the department that would regularly show up drunk. The union always got the bum rehired. Not that it mattered that this is a safety issue though. That's the union way and just another reason why Granite City Steel used to hire thousands more than it does today. By the next generation the place will be closed. Another illinois success story
Rooster

Granite City, IL

#14 Sep 6, 2012
Dearest Brian, I will have you know when US Steel acquired the bankrupt National Steel, the full intent was to shut down the Granite City facility. Seven years after the acquisition, it comes out they made enough in that time at GCWorks to pay for the entire deal. US Steel and the employees know they have to work in the most efficient and safest way possible for this plant and company to succeed.

So you can take your negativity and hostility and blow it out your a$$! It is obvious you have an axe to grind with the union at the mill, let me guess you were one of the employees that thought he was all high and mighty, ran into some trouble, and the union couldn't save your job.
Brian

Eureka, MO

#15 Sep 6, 2012
Rooster wrote:
Dearest Brian, I will have you know when US Steel acquired the bankrupt National Steel, the full intent was to shut down the Granite City facility. Seven years after the acquisition, it comes out they made enough in that time at GCWorks to pay for the entire deal. US Steel and the employees know they have to work in the most efficient and safest way possible for this plant and company to succeed.
So you can take your negativity and hostility and blow it out your a$$! It is obvious you have an axe to grind with the union at the mill, let me guess you were one of the employees that thought he was all high and mighty, ran into some trouble, and the union couldn't save your job.
So you have done a full audit of the companies books to feel capable of making such a silly statement.
I have no ax to grind. It is the same with your union, the UAW, the IAm and SEIU to name a few. Your wage scales are set too high meaning jobs will continue to be off shored because the cost of labor is too high in the USA plants thanks to unionization. Thats the way it is...like it or not
Joe

Granite City, IL

#16 Sep 6, 2012
Good reply Rooster!!
A lot of good quality steel coming out of that mill someone must be doing something right!

Brian you are a knuckle Head that is why you are no longer at the mill
Brian

Eureka, MO

#18 Sep 6, 2012
Im not at the mill because I make way more money with no union needed joe. That's something you bozo's do not understand.
By the way...how about the last layoffs those that didn't come back because drug testing was 100% and not random? Safe...yea right. <laugh>
local 50

Granite City, IL

#19 Sep 6, 2012
Brian wrote:
Im not at the mill because I make way more money with no union needed joe. That's something you bozo's do not understand.
By the way...how about the last layoffs those that didn't come back because drug testing was 100% and not random? Safe...yea right. <laugh>
You are about as cool as a truck load of dead puppies .
local 50

Granite City, IL

#20 Sep 6, 2012
Yea this brian guy needs to stay in alabama
Steel Man

Granite City, IL

#21 Sep 6, 2012
STFU BRIAN B! Typical company idiot!
Brian

Eureka, MO

#22 Sep 6, 2012
Oh I can see the usual union name calling
Now on the other hand have any of these plant type workers demonstrated how more productive they have been? A more productive worker is worth more right? So lets see...how much more productive are you bozos?
The facts are there are some very long term contracts that were negotiated with Granite City Steel that US Steel wants to capitalize on. Thats all it is. Most of the steel now comes from elsewhere, but the mill will stay open at its barely operable status to keep the contract alive
Outside of that these same old buzz headed unskilled laborers will be on the street in no time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlene bubtrain stripped/beat up 24 min speedystires 26
Lost and Scared 48 min howicaughttom 19
Brittany Blyue (Apr '12) 59 min Brittany Michelle... 118
Reality of GCHS 1 hr Old Timer 128
jennifer wood 4 hr Old Lady 11
king louie 5 hr so you believe 39
Jennifer Seago 5 hr chapj 7
More from around the web

Granite City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE