|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

Judged:

Issue regarding the Special Education Department in the Gcsd 9
I will retell what I was told about the people involved-then continue with explaining the events as they were relayed to me. Mrs. Diak-a long time teacher in the district worked her way up the ladder to become an administrator. She is smart-works well with people-and has the respect of the teachers and parents with whom she has worked. The other administrator is Mrs. Hubbard. Mrs. Hubbard is the daughter of former GC Mayor Paul Schuler. Mrs. Hubbard-never worked as a certified special education teacher-she taught as a classroom teacher for a brief time as substitute teacher at Coordinated Youth. She then became an administrator at Coordinated Youth-an administrator with no teaching certification other than substitute certified and no administrator training. Mrs. Hubbard has a sister that runs Coordinated Youth. A year or two before Mrs. Hubbard was hired by the school district-she completed a teacher certification degree and an administratorís degree. Coordinated Youth is not under the same rules as public schools because it is a social service agency. Mrs. Hubbard has no experience working with disabled children other than Behavior Disabled. She has no experience working with children with mental retardation, physically disabled, blind or deaf. Mrs. Hubbard has another sister that works as administrator in Granite City. When she was hired by Granite City School District-she was up against candidates that much more experience and education. Obviously none of those other candidates had a father who used to be Mayor of Granite City.
The incident occurred during a recent meeting of Special Education teachers. I am told occasionally there are meetings. The meetings are for a few teachers from each school to come and get information regarding updates-professional discussion-and share teaching stories that work with certain children. The idea of having these meetings is great. What I learned actually occurred is not great-actually it is quite disturbing. At a recent meeting Mrs. Hubbard lost her cool-screamed at Mrs. Diak and stormed out of the room. Mrs. Diak said something about some misinformation that was mistakenly announced at the previous meeting. The teacherís in attendance had no idea why Mrs. Hubbard became red faced and left. It was later learned that Mrs. Hubbard was still stinging from being screamed at by Mr. Bowler. What I was told happened is that a couple of weeks before this meeting-Mr. Bowler became angry at a teacher. Mr. Bowler was allowed to believe the teacher made decisions regarding a student that were not in the studentís best interest, were not based on experience, and did not allow that student to learn to the best of his/her ability. Mr. Bowler called the teacher and yelled, screamed and threatened the teacher until she was in tears. The teacher then went to the principal-who then called Mr. Briggs. The union became involved because Bowler created a hostile work place. An investigation was conducted. The teacher was cleared and Mr. Bowler was made to apologize to the teacher. The investigation showed that Mrs. Hubbard made the decisions regarding the student that were wrong. It also came to light that Mrs. Hubbard allowed Mr. Bowler to believe the teacher was at fault. Mrs. Hubbard never took responsibility-until made to do so. Mr. Bowler had to apologize which didnít sit well because Mrs. Hubbard received the same treatment as the teacher that she allowed to take the blame.
There we have it. Three special education administrators. The one in charge bullies women and has a dubious work and personal history. The second in command has no experience-makes poor decisions and allows others to take blame for her shortcomings. The third person has the experience, the education and possesses the respect of the teachers and parents-but because she is not related to any one-will never be allowed to rise above her current position.
GCPRIDE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

Judged:

From GC Gossip. Enough said. What's next? Did you hear that Jimmy stole Billy's girfriend. Go back to GC Gossip if you like it so much.

Sounds like the writer must like Mrs. Diak. Or maybe is Mrs. Diak.
yay

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

GCPRIDE wrote:
From GC Gossip. Enough said. What's next? Did you hear that Jimmy stole Billy's girfriend. Go back to GC Gossip if you like it so much.
Sounds like the writer must like Mrs. Diak. Or maybe is Mrs. Diak.
Are you always so mean? Damn man GO GET LAID!

I remember Mrs. Diak. She was one of my favorite teachers in highschool.
Did Mrs. Hubbard's husband ever teach at the highschool?
Ofcoursenot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

Judged:

Another administrator was allowed to tell the public that he and an exstudent were in a "normal" relationship, but do you really think it was normal considering the distress of one ex-student who came forward? He took pay knowing that he neglected a student for years and we never saw an apology from him, just a distraught girl on a website who claimed that after he neglected her as a student, he then abused the justice system to control her. What's the difference in administrators neglecting other teachers? I'm not surprised one bit! It's sad but true, teacher's will be bullies too!
Ofcoursenot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2011

Granite City fails the future of children when Granite City allows those who lack self control to have any kind of authority over another.

When the best qualified is ignored due to the best connected, the quality of the education or lack thereof always reveals itself in time. It's a shame, especially when it is the future of the students that truly is what is at stake.
Dear Abby

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2011

Judged:

I'm not one to gossip, & you didn't hear this from me, BUT... maybe you should go to school, invest your time & money and put in an application and hire a lawyer to get that job. Politicshave always been involved. Who you know, how you blow!
SEEYOUSOON

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2011

What?
Educator

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2011

Judged:

The behavior of the children are good indicators around teachers of what the teachers are teaching them. Good teachers will be a buddy to a student when a student has no buddy, are not bias and does not let their own beliefs, ideas, and emotions cause a negative influence from the teacher to become a negative experience for a child. Whether the teacher gets paid to go in an institutional setting and teach the curriculum or the teacher be any other adult who is some how involved in children's daily lives, kids are heavily influenced by the behaviors, beliefs, and thoughts of those in their environments. Set by a moral example. Look at each of your students as though they are a human being first. Attitudes change, and they are set by example. If a child only knows how to communicate with another child by picking on them, is that not an indication of a lack of social skills?

Bullying should not be accepted or tolerated, not of students or of teachers. To help correct a behavior we look at the counterpart. Social skills are a must for ANY civilization to remain civil.

As educators we should care to make a positive impact.
Educator

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2011

Here is an example of bias that caused a negative experience to a child and provided a negative influence for other children by the example this teacher set:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/texas-...
Doug

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2011

Judged:

Mrs. Diak isn't related to anyone in the school district? Didn't her mom and dad retire as teachers and aren't her siblings teachers in the district ? Oh and think there may be a couple of other relatives working for lengthy amounts of time in the district? Just seemed a funny statement that she doesn't have anyone she is related to in the district when she is probably related to more than Hubbard or whoever it was you were comparing to.
SeeYouSoon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2011

Judged:

There are many connected people in special education in the district. No news there.

You have the director Paul Bowler who is friends with Ronnie Dillard and Jeff Parker. He's a former board member and served with the aforementioned.

You have Paula Hubbard who was the daughter of the former mayore Paul Shuler. Her sister Terry is also an assistant principal in the district.

Then you have Mrs. Burnett, the wife of board president Ralph Burnette. I'm not sure what her title is but I know she is an administrator.

Another one is Nicky Petrilo. She is daughter of county board member Nick Petrilo. They made her a principal at the high school to appease her for not hiring her boyfriend as a football coach.

So what though? These are all nice people who just took advantage of the same deal we all would. Nepotism is alive and well in Granite city.
Doug

Gravois Mills, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2011

I agree Seeyousoon.I wouldn't have even commented except they made a point to say someone was more connected than the other.Heck they all know someone I will bet.I don't know any of them personally or care to.
wash out ur mouth

Collinsville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2011

Judged:

So what? Paul Ray Bowler is a convicted felon who was caught in a real estate scam with Gaye Flood.
How can a convicted felon work within our school district...oh, guess you just answered my question..connections.
Google his and Gaye's name for the low down. He should not be pulling in his fat salary, not being a felon.
SeeYouSoon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2011

Judged:

wash out ur mouth wrote:
So what? Paul Ray Bowler is a convicted felon who was caught in a real estate scam with Gaye Flood.
How can a convicted felon work within our school district...oh, guess you just answered my question..connections.
Google his and Gaye's name for the low down. He should not be pulling in his fat salary, not being a felon.
I don't think he was convicted. He may have been charged but if he was convicted he couldn't have been hired in any school district and he worked for one prior to coming here.
dontlikegcsd

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Judged:

i have a ??? how is it that sum of the teachers supervised by one of the above mentioned inexperienced administrators can talk to these students however they want!!! i know sumone whos kid was told they were a "waste of space" in the classroom, or telling a fellow student this kid is a an "idiot and everyone already knows it" or the inexperienced admin. pretending to call home when they finally pick at the kid til they find sumthin to suspend em for!!! the whole city works on who you know who you blow!!!!
GCPRIDE

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Judged:

dontlikegcsd wrote:
i have a ??? how is it that sum of the teachers supervised by one of the above mentioned inexperienced administrators can talk to these students however they want!!! i know sumone whos kid was told they were a "waste of space" in the classroom, or telling a fellow student this kid is a an "idiot and everyone already knows it" or the inexperienced admin. pretending to call home when they finally pick at the kid til they find sumthin to suspend em for!!! the whole city works on who you know who you blow!!!!
I would say when you can write in an intelligent life form, come back and we'll talk about it. Until then, don't blame the schools.

Sumeone? Sumthin? Whos? Seriously! Are you kidding me?
dontlikegcsd

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Judged:

GCPRIDE wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say when you can write in an intelligent life form, come back and we'll talk about it. Until then, don't blame the schools.
Sumeone? Sumthin? Whos? Seriously! Are you kidding me?
i shortcut type and that has what to do with the school not being right?? so sit at your desk and try to figur out how to stop pickin on certain kids!!!
I HATE STUPID PEOPLE

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

dontlikegcsd wrote:
<quoted text>
i shortcut type and that has what to do with the school not being right?? so sit at your desk and try to figur out how to stop pickin on certain kids!!!
I wonder if gay pride knows intelligent life form doesnt invite little boys to a fight.
mahz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Hahaha!
I HATE STUPID PEOPLE

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

well said monkey!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

48 Users are viewing the Granite City Forum right now

Search the Granite City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ahniwake w 16 min dave wilson 11
Useless Neighbors 1 hr Casual Gee 18
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Terry rigsby 48,868
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 2 hr KrisChristie 1,856
Hanfelder's Tree Service is NO SEVICE 2 hr Yuk 5
Thieves 6 hr Concerned 12
granite city works steel mill 8 hr GC BORN 18
Car break ins 14 hr Concerned citizen 26
•••
•••
•••
•••

Granite City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000