Uh Huh

Edwardsville, IL

#1 Feb 7, 2013
How can you screw up a new bridge approach so bad? I'm sure everyone has seen the news where IDOT's subcontractor is tearing out the brand new ramp to the new bridge approach. How many professional 'eyes' did this mess slide past? As a St. Louis worker I hate sitting in traffic for extended periods and I hate detouring especially when it adds miles to my commute. We already dealt with this inconvenience and now we have to do it again.
Just venting.
Carry on.

the white power ranger

“Try my Troll House cookies!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Feb 7, 2013
the issue was the low water...

see their tools were calibrated during average/normal environmental conditions...

when underground water moves it passes over several elements and minerals..this creates electricity and magnetism (to put it in basic terms)

these natural occurrences will cause subtle variances in the geomagnetic substructure...

the power (though we cannot see it or notice it naturally) and the tooling the contractors use to sight and survey the grounds will be affected..one degree off may not look bad two feet away..but two miles away and the inaccuracy is extremely obvious...

Uh Huh

Edwardsville, IL

#3 Feb 7, 2013
River levels have been dropping for a few years with this persistent drought. The subcontractors/ engineers equal major fail.
Thank god they're paying for the redo themselves.
Patriot

Granite City, IL

#4 Feb 7, 2013
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#5 Feb 7, 2013
Patriot wrote:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/t raffic/along-for-the-ride/idot -minority-hiring-on-river-brid ge-exceeds-goals/article_86459 3f0-de49-11e0-9da8-001a4bcf687 8.html
BINGO!
Patriot

Granite City, IL

#7 Feb 8, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>BINGO!
The fact is the most qualified contractors are passed over due to quotas and other regulations based on race and gender.
Uh Huh

Edwardsville, IL

#8 Feb 8, 2013
Exactly!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#9 Feb 8, 2013
I do not get why minority hiring s/b a factor in building something as critical as a bridge. A bridge has to be safe and last a long time. There is no room for error due to safety. I would think a quality oriented top of the line contractor s/b more important than minority hiring. You get what you pay for. I would hope the best of the best is building a bridge. Maybe I'm not understanding all this gobbledygook. What defines a "minority contractor?"
hmmmmm

Tecumseh, KS

#10 Feb 8, 2013
The contractor is Fred Weber Inc. They discovered this last fall, shortly after it was poured. Apparently, they had been discussing whether or not to put an overlay of concrete to raise the bank on the ramp or just tear it out. There was a different contractor that had torn out a section of concrete sometime before this on a different area of this project. F.W .Inc. will eat the extra cost and according to the powers-that-be, the bridge should open as scheduled.
hmmmmm

Tecumseh, KS

#11 Feb 8, 2013
Uh Huh wrote:
How can you screw up a new bridge approach so bad? I'm sure everyone has seen the news where IDOT's subcontractor is tearing out the brand new ramp to the new bridge approach. How many professional 'eyes' did this mess slide past? As a St. Louis worker I hate sitting in traffic for extended periods and I hate detouring especially when it adds miles to my commute. We already dealt with this inconvenience and now we have to do it again.
Just venting.
Carry on.
I think i would rather wait than have them not repair/ replace that section of ramp. The alternative would be to just fly off that ramp and become airborne at 45 plus mph!

It's never the fall that hurts, just that sudden stop that does!

the white power ranger

Location hidden

#12 Feb 8, 2013
if we were given our jey packs as promised back in the 80's...we would not need those stinking bridges!!!!
Uh Huh

Edwardsville, IL

#13 Feb 8, 2013
I totally agree! My gripe being that we've already dealt with the construction inconvenience and now we have to do it again. All the protesting and bitching about minority contracts accomplished zip. It all has to be redone.
Remember some time ago there was a huge stink over a ramp in south county where every time it snowed cars just shot over the edge and people died because there wasn't enough 'slope' on the ramp.
Bottom line.. Inferior work by an inferior subcontractor/ engineers.

the white power ranger

Location hidden

#14 Feb 8, 2013
the white power ranger wrote:
if we were given our jey packs as promised back in the 80's...we would not need those stinking bridges!!!!
jet packs silly!!!!!

i got you misspelling!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know Billie Cottle 10 min Cump 37
Ask the Pastor 17 min mahz 50
McDonalds on Johnson Rd 22 min mahz 53
Looking for Mike Denson (Mar '15) 1 hr mahz 114
agains the law 4 hr Sandy Cage 6
Park View Apartments 6 hr Sad 2
All of the lights.... 6 hr Villa 2

Granite City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance